Dev Blog - Prestige

Matt258

If the prestige update is released, the current hiscores won't be relevant in two years. Therefore, in order for the update to be truly optional, I would have to quit before the current ones go out of style.

If that doesn't happen, and people choose to ignore the update collectively, then the update shouldn't be released. That's common sense. Why release something that everyone will ignore because it is so bad?

Please don't say that the effect is minimal at best. It sabotages virtually everything I've worked to achieve since I maxed. No one will be worse off if the update doesn't pass.

In short, stop pretending that voting yes is the conservative option.

• Like 5

If the prestige update is released, the current hiscores won't be relevant in two years. Therefore, in order for the update to be truly optional, I would have to quit before the current ones go out of style.

If that doesn't happen, and people choose to ignore the update collectively, then the update shouldn't be released. That's common sense. Why release something that everyone will ignore because it is so bad?

Please don't say that the effect is minimal at best. It sabotages virtually everything I've worked to achieve since I maxed. No one will be worse off if the update doesn't pass.

I'm not saying everyone will ignore the update. Some of us will enjoy it and some will continue to use the old high scores. But those who want to use the new ones shouldn't be disallowed because those on the current high scores want all attention on them. Its a new "option". If everyone goes to the new high scores then its a good update. If they don't then you've lost nothing. If its as popular in 2 years as you claim it will be then why try to get it cancelled? If people will use it and enjoy it then yes its selfish for you to try to veto it when your high scores will remain and you can still use them. Its like if a person said that runescape 2 should never be released because then classic will become obsolete.

I never claimed that yes is conservative. Its neutral. Its saying that people shouldn't be denied this update just because its something that you personally won't use and that you won't have to use.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Am I the only one who's being reminded of all of the arguments about wilderness clue scrolls? Because the "If you don't like it you don't have to do it" thing sounds very familiar.

I can barely afford training items as it is, but it's so nice to hear that having to compete with a horde of high-level billionaires for resources they wouldn't have bothered with otherwise won't affect me in any way~!

By that same token you can earn more collecting those resources and selling them. If anything the update will reward skillers.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I'm really sad that they chose to do a straight up yes/no poll.., I'm pretty sure some people would use the system even without any highscores part at all. Something like Champions' Challenge. Just the cosmetic reward, I'd even take an imp with a banner with a skill icon and a roman numeral, how many times you reached the 99. That doesn't hurt anyone at all, just something for people crazy enough to do it. I know the system was devised because of the highscores, but it really doesn't have to be such an integral part of it. Yes, not many people would do it just for the cosmetic, but that'd mean the reward would be that much rarer. Not many people farm Champions' Challenge scrolls, and even less did before Trimmed Comp, but some did and nobody ever said that it was a useless update.

I can't be the only person in the world who just wants to level cooking (or any other skill) again for fun and a for show. Or when I reach 99 WC, I'd like to have a go at that again too. I loved the first 60 or so levels of WC. It'd remind me of the good old days, when I started the game. I mean, I can make an alt, or I can do that in 07'scape, yes, but then I could just cut normal trees for the amount of xp from 1-15, oaks for the amount of xp from 15-30 etc on my main character. Prestige would get me a nifty cosmetic reward for my main character for that. (I'm still imagining an imp with banner of a tree and "II" below it :-D).

goro.png
[spoiler=Skill level siggies are a so 07]tipit_siggy.png

I'm not saying everyone will ignore the update. Some of us will enjoy it and some will continue to use the old high scores. But those who want to use the new ones shouldn't be disallowed because those on the current high scores want all attention on them. Its a new "option". If everyone goes to the new high scores then its a good update. If they don't then you've lost nothing. If its as popular in 2 years as you claim it will be then why try to get it cancelled? If people will use it and enjoy it then yes its selfish for you to try to veto it when your high scores will remain and you can still use them. Its like if a person said that runescape 2 should never be released because then classic will become obsolete.

I never claimed that yes is conservative. Its neutral. Its saying that people shouldn't be denied this update just because its something that you personally won't use and that you won't have to use.

The neutral option is to not vote

???

Or, they could have just not given everyone millions of free bonus experience for everything so that everyone could get 99s in 5 mins, and then we wouldn't have thousands upon thousands of maxed players, and a high scores that is completely meaningless. 

A lot of them have also had 12 years worth of unhealthy play to do it. I mean, that has *something* to do with it, right?

...Right?

Most 99's by around 2009/2010, just before the bonus frenzy (and if we exclude Effigies), were reasonable in the amount of effort needed in order to max out. Nothing crazy or unhealthy like 200Ms or any of the other nonsense. I wouldn't mind going back to that model (though obviously it's too late to do that).

Also, I should clarify, that I personally don't care about the Prestige update in the sense that it doesn't affect me. I have never been a rank or an experience chaser, ever. So it won't affect me.

The neutral option is to not vote

???

Ultimately there were 3 basic options. Old highscores, new highscores, or both. Keeping old highscores would have been conservative, replacing old high scores with new high scores would be the opposite end of the spectrum to what you're suggesting, and the neutral option is to have both and let players decide which ones they care about. Jagex removed the one end of the spectrum before even introducing it, but having both high scores is still neutral because it doesn't prevent people who care about he old high scores from using them and it doesn't prevent people who care about the new high scores from using that one. Both sides can play whichever style they care about.

Helring, why should I vote yes?

I understand you think I should vote yes because others will enjoy this update if it comes to life.

Other than that reason, why should I vote yes? 

Right now, I see no reason to vote yes, regardless of if others want this update or not. Call me selfish, but personally I think you're being selfish too by telling people to vote yes because you want the update to happen.

If you want to have this update, vote yes, but please respect others opinions about this update. 

if this vote is as much a lie as the old school runescape vote, i invite all of my friends to hate me again now and get it over with as soon as possible, because frankly that's all these votes are good for...stirring up trouble

8f14270694.jpg

I understand you think I should vote yes because others will enjoy this update if it comes to life.

Right now, I see no reason to vote yes, regardless of if others want this update or not. Call me selfish, but personally I think you're being selfish too by telling people to vote yes because you want the update to happen.

If you want to have this update, vote yes, but please respect others opinions about this update. 

Why, because there's no negative effect for this vote. If you won't use the update at all then it still won't hurt you to vote yes. Its an extra option. There's no reason to vote no except to deny that option to others. They hoped to release it early november so most of the development of it is already done or nearing completion so its not like its taking up many resources. What reason do you have for voting no except to deny it to others when the Old Highscores will still be there and there are no major rewards for the new system like new armour, weapons or items to skill.

I am telling people to vote yes because I see no negative repercussions of this vote going through. You lose nothing by not participating even if the update goes through.

I don't agree with the update, it is just a rehash of the game with added bonuses for maxing skills a 2nd time and so on. Why don't you and others who want this, simply just create an alt and max skills again? 

Now you'll say that I can simply ignore the update all together, but how has that worked for other updates?

We can ignore SOF and SGS but that still doesn't stop shit from popping up every single time we log in. 

When Jagex was doing the 14 day trial for F2Pers, that popped up every time they logged in. 

I'm sure there are many other instances where the case is you simply just can't COMPLETELY ignore it. 

Why should I subject myself to the annoying pop ups and spam from Jagex talking about their newest gamebreaking update just to appease you?

Not to mention with there being no physical limit to any skill because of prestige, I don't think there would be the same feeling of completion when you reach a 99 or even 200m exp. 

This is simply just lazy on their part, in my opinion. 

Why, because there's no negative effect for this vote. If you won't use the update at all then it still won't hurt you to vote yes. Its an extra option. There's no reason to vote no except to deny that option to others. They hoped to release it early november so most of the development of it is already done or nearing completion so its not like its taking up many resources. What reason do you have for voting no except to deny it to others when the Old Highscores will still be there and there are no major rewards for the new system like new armour, weapons or items to skill.

I am telling people to vote yes because I see no negative repercussions of this vote going through. You lose nothing by not participating even if the update goes through.

You can't say there are no negative effects when you outright ignore everyone who names a negative effect

• Like 3

I don't agree with the update, it is just a rehash of the game with added bonuses for maxing skills a 2nd time and so on. Why don't you and others who want this, simply just create an alt and max skills again? 

Now you'll say that I can simply ignore the update all together, but how has that worked for other updates?

We can ignore SOF and SGS but that still doesn't stop shit from popping up every single time we log in. 

When Jagex was doing the 14 day trial for F2Pers, that popped up every time they logged in. 

I'm sure there are many other instances where the case is you simply just can't COMPLETELY ignore it. 

Why should I subject myself to the annoying pop ups and spam from Jagex talking about their newest gamebreaking update just to appease you?

Not to mention with there being no physical limit to any skill because of prestige, I don't think there would be the same feeling of completion when you reach a 99 or even 200m exp. 

This is simply just lazy on their part, in my opinion. 

Creating an alt account wouldn't work as well as this does. I want to keep what I have when I reset, my clan, my friends list and my cash and progress. There's a sense of progression in the prestige system that you don't get from making a new account.

This is an mmo, ultimately there are no goals except those which a player sets themselves. If getting a 99 gives you a feeling of closure even though you can get 200m then that's great. If maxing out the lifetime high scores gives you a feeling of closure and beating it then cool, they'll still be there to work on and won't change in the slightest. However, if you want to keep playing then prestige is a good system to do that. Its a new option, and doesn't take anything away from those that ignore it. At the moment once you get 200m you're done, you cannot advance any further which is a bad mechanic for an mmo.

The pop-ups in the game suck. I admit that. There should be a method to get rid of them but I don't see what that has to do with this update. How is this system in any way "gamebreaking". It doesn't change really anything for those who wish to ignore it. It doesn't effect the lifetime high scores. It doesn't add new methods to gain exp quicker like squeal does. 

You can't say there are no negative effects when you outright ignore everyone who names a negative effect

Your negative effect is that people will enjoy the update. I dismissed your negative because its based upon a fear that people will reject what you've done. If they choose to use the new high scores then to me it shows that the new high scores are a better option than the previous ones and should be implemented. If they do reject the new high scores then you have nothing to worry about. Either way, what you have earned will remain for others to see and will not be taken away from you.

As far as Alg's negative, that things will be more expensive, I could see that but I think that it will help newer players earn money again. Right now the lower half of the game is dead because the majority of players are past that.  This update could bring people back to that. The people racing for prestige will be spending a lot of money and lower level players stand to gain from that.

How would this update help low levels make money?

Certainly they will be selling the lower level items, but they still have to spend more money on stuff when they reach a higher level.

Pretty much what you're saying is as long as you are happy, the people who don't want this update should suffer. That's what I'm getting from what your saying.

Here is a quick pro/con list.

Pro:

Gets new faces on top of hiscores.

Adds player satisfaction for those who want to reset.

Con:

Gives new players more wealth, but also raises prices for them when they reach high level.

Is ultimately a neverending game.

Subtracts player satisfaction for those who don't want their progress devalued or negated(mostly HLP, specifically those with high exp skills like Meredith).

Won't bring in new players, who wants to play a game that has no forseeable end to leveling?

Jagex will annoy those who don't want this update with possible ingame pop ups, ads(for F2P), and ingame chatbox spamming.

Not to mention that overall, this update is negatively viewed and will never reach 66% unless Jagex skews the stats like everything else as of late.

• Like 1

I do apologize for calling y'all selfish though. I often get a bit heated in discussions and go too far. So, for that I'm sorry.

How would this update help low levels make money?

Certainly they will be selling the lower level items, but they still have to spend more money on stuff when they reach a higher level.

Pretty much what you're saying is as long as you are happy, the people who don't want this update should suffer. That's what I'm getting from what your saying.

Here is a quick pro/con list.

Pro:

Gets new faces on top of hiscores.

Adds player satisfaction for those who want to reset.

Con:

Gives new players more wealth, but also raises prices for them when they reach high level.

Is ultimately a neverending game.

Subtracts player satisfaction for those who don't want their progress devalued or negated(mostly HLP, specifically those with high exp skills like Meredith).

Won't bring in new players, who wants to play a game that has no forseeable end to leveling?

Jagex will annoy those who don't want this update with possible ingame pop ups, ads(for F2P), and ingame chatbox spamming.

Not to mention that overall, this update is negatively viewed and will never reach 66% unless Jagex skews the stats like everything else as of late.

Pro: Some competition for players on new high scores.

A high scores that actually reflects those that worked hardest and not first

Maintaining players who may have otherwise quit because they hit a wall. They don't want to get 200m skills, they just enjoy leveling.

Player satisfaction for those who wish to use it

Skills are worth more, which may lower some of the disparity between bossing and skilling. 

May bring in new players and help retain them because lower level areas won't be as empty.

A new goal for those who prefer certain skills but not others where items like comp or max capes are uninteresting

Is ultimately a never-ending game. Allows people to continue playing the parts of the game they enjoy repeatedly instead of making them move on

Neutral: Gives new players more wealth, but also raises prices for them when they reach high level. (at worst this is a wash)

Cons:  Text box spam which appears for every update and is usually replaced within 2 weeks. Possible temporary pop-ups.

Some people feel their achievements will be devalued. I disagree but others don't. I think 200m will still be a great achievement.

Ultimately, I don't think neverending game is much of a turn-off for new players. Of the new players I've talked to in-game (admittedly a small sample) very few ever expect to even max. So to them the game already seems like its never-ending or at least that they'll never reach it. People play a game to play the game, and I think its weird to see complaints that there's no end. 

I can argue that those who did it first did it harder though. Especially when it comes to skills that have only recently gotten faster or more afkable, like most gathering skills.

You can currently continue playing the areas of the game you enjoy. Look at Jebrim and his 1b Agility goal, or all the people with 200m+ Dungeoneering even though hiscores say 200m, or Matt258 who has 3 200m Cooking accounts, or any PvMer who has 200m in combat stats. 

The only thing you currently can't do past 99 is level, besides Dungeoneering of course. The amount of people who have just quit because they can't level anymore is probably lower than those who continue on doing what they enjoy regardless of if they see gains or not.

Maintaining players is thrown out the window when F2P accounts aren't on the hiscores.

The low level areas will fill up for awhile and either be replaced by bots or become empty once people start slowing down on prestiging. Plus the whole game is slowly becoming more and more empty, not just the low level areas.

I can argue that those who did it first did it harder though. Especially when it comes to skills that have only recently gotten faster or more afkable, like most gathering skills.

You can currently continue playing the areas of the game you enjoy. Look at Jebrim and his 1b Agility goal, or all the people with 200m+ Dungeoneering even though hiscores say 200m, or Matt258 who has 3 200m Cooking accounts, or any PvMer who has 200m in combat stats. 

The only thing you currently can't do past 99 is level, besides Dungeoneering of course. The amount of people who have just quit because they can't level anymore is probably lower than those who continue on doing what they enjoy regardless of if they see gains or not.

Maintaining players is thrown out the window when F2P accounts aren't on the hiscores.

The low level areas will fill up for awhile and either be replaced by bots or become empty once people start slowing down on prestiging. Plus the whole game is slowly becoming more and more empty, not just the low level areas.

They may have worked harder at the time, but the point is that ultimately doesn't matter because even if someone were to work 15x harder, they're still stuck below those who finished first. They can never pass them no matter how hard they try. Jebrim may get 1b total exp but he'll never be the #1 person at agility, he'll always be stuck at number 3 even though he's earned that #1 spot. 

Removing f2p players from the high scores was stupid on Jagex's part. those people that earned their exp should keep their place on the lifetime high scores. However, there should be a place for people to actually compete for the number 1 spot in a skill. To show their dedication. That requires an unending high scores table of some sort. I want to know who  is actually the top in each skill and not just the order in which people got 200m.

I am not saying you can't continue on after you've gotten 99, or 200m, but most of the incentive to do so and the fun of it is gone. I know several people that were looking forward to it to give them something to do again. With this system you can keep leveling which to some people is the part they enjoy.

Honestly, if this system is voted down, I hope they introduce it anyway without the high scores. At least that may be a compromise people can live with. Or introduce it as a second high scores like the seasonal high scores. I think Jagex picked too big a fight by saying it would be the "main" high scores when it seems to bother those who hate prestige and those who like prestige don't care if its a side hide scores or not.

Honestly, if this system is voted down, I hope they introduce it anyway without the high scores. At least that may be a compromise people can live with. Or introduce it as a second high scores like the seasonal high scores. I think Jagex picked too big a fight by saying it would be the "main" high scores when it seems to bother those who hate prestige and those who like prestige don't care if its a side hide scores or not.

Maybe just general seasonal EXP gain high scores, similar what RuneTrack and the like do? Especially if they can count gains after 200m. It wouldn't involve stat resets, but the effect would be the same, right?

Unless the stat resets are the main selling point here, in which case I've got nothing.

Maybe just general seasonal EXP gain high scores, similar what RuneTrack and the like do? Especially if they can count gains after 200m. It wouldn't involve stat resets, but the effect would be the same, right?

Unless the stat resets are the main selling point here, in which case I've got nothing.

Yea, actually the part I am most looking forward to if it does pass is the reset all skills and remax "achievement" that Mod Jack was talking about. I thought that sounded like fun. The only reason I started defending the whole update is I am worried that we may lose the system as a whole if its voted down and not just the high scores table part of it.

I would prefer it none of it happened.  It sounds like an amazingly bad idea.  I don't think many players will actually care about the new hiscores, and everyone will always check the old ones anyway.  And the actual system itself sounds incredibly pointless.  Increasing the grind of leveling up just an insane thing to do on a game that is pretty much built on grind already.  There is no need to do to skiling what EOC did to combat.

pere_grin.png

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/a=13/content-poll---prestige  Poll for prestige is out for anyone who cares one way or the other.

At first I was apposed to this update but now I'm wondering if the increased demand for lower leveled resource might actually be a good thing. I haven't voted yet as that is the only aspect about it I think is worth while. But I guess I'm looking for more opinions.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items