Dev Blog - Prestige

Matt258

lol what a joke.
jagex is really starting to fizz out on updates.

grindscape is cool and all but jesus. these people's poor wrists.
i got mems till like march but i probably won't even bother anymore.
the updates now are terrible.

Leave the prestige system to CoD. Cannot see myself doing this even if it gets released. The only point for this is so there isn't a definite point where you stop levelling..kind of like turning a skill 'Legendary' in Skyrim... I suppose it is just to keep the high levelled highscore-chasing players playing.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

lol what a joke.

jagex is really starting to fizz out on updates.

grindscape is cool and all but jesus. these people's poor wrists.

i got mems till like march but i probably won't even bother anymore.

the updates now are terrible.

I'm sad to see you go... When is your last login? We'll throw you a party.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I could conceivably see myself prestiging an easy skill like magic or defence.  Although it might be fun to do farming again...

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Get a good (high xp/hr) task, prestige slayer, do task. Then turn prestige off, get a new high xp/hr task, turn prestige on, power through all levels at 99 rates.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

It'd have to be pretty high to prevent that, kuradel tasks are a huge xp/hr boost over the low level slayer masters.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I don't see what the big fuss is about since it's completely optional.

Aren't you one of the ones that usually brings up unhealthy play styles or am I getting confused?

...It's been a long day.

Unlike the comp cape, there's no real incentive for unhealthy play styles here, especially if only a very small minority are actually interested in this update.

In other words, the players whom this update appeals to are already going to engage in unhealthy play styles regardless of if this update ever comes to fruition. Considering most of the hardcore grinders on this forum seem to oppose it, like I said, I really don't see this update affecting too many people.

77yLQy8.png

I know it wouldn't happen but it would be nice if, along with this update, xp rates increased/xp needed to level to 99 dropped. This means that new players could get into the game more quickly instead of getting bored and leaving due to the excess grind, the "not so hardcore" players could experience some of the more high end stuff, while everyone else can still compete with one another for top spots on the highscores.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

99/99 skateboarding :p

why dont you use this awesome thing i like to call common sense. Its done wonders for me, ive never been hacked, scammed or anything like that.

I don't see what the big fuss is about since it's completely optional.

Aren't you one of the ones that usually brings up unhealthy play styles or am I getting confused?

...It's been a long day.

Unlike the comp cape, there's no real incentive for unhealthy play styles here, especially if only a very small minority are actually interested in this update.

In other words, the players whom this update appeals to are already going to engage in unhealthy play styles regardless of if this update ever comes to fruition. Considering most of the hardcore grinders on this forum seem to oppose it, like I said, I really don't see this update affecting too many people.

If the feeling is it wont affect most people then why bother?  

peever142.png

I hope they add in the ability to replay quests, even if you don't get prestige for the quest point cape.

There are some quests I want to do again, but don't feel making a new account for.

• Like 1

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

They've mentioned in podcasts replayable quests just aren't possible.

Due to people/items/locations disappearing/appearing based on quests they'd literally have to confine the entire replay into an instanced area, plus they'd have to add in duplicate variables to check for certain things, such as keys etc, to correctly register that you don't have them despite the fact they may be sitting in your bank. Not to mention insanely tight checks needed on said instances to make sure you don't have anything you should not have in terms of keys, abilities items etc and special instanced spell books and lodestones etc to correctly route your movements within the instance. Plus it'd be next to impossible to allow you to leave the instance and come back to it later because the potential for game breaking bugs due to conflicting data on where an npc is and what you can do is enormous, especially for npcs involved in a large amount of quests and content unlocked by the quest, or it's follow ups.

It's just a lot of work for very little pay off, especially when you start factoring in a lot of quests use huge swathes of the world and they'd each have to have their own instance to be replayable.

It's just not something you can make every quest work with and, for quests not made with it in mind, a nightmare to add. They have said though, with a bit of work, they ought to be able to let us rewatch most cinematic cutscenes if they got the dev budget and, as shown in DoC quests in self contained areas with replay built in from the start can have some replay-ability.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Can someone answer me this properly...

Say I'm all 99s, I reset my Attack to 1, I can still then wield the strongest weapon as I've already got 99, so tell me, what is the actual point of resetting it to 1? Is it literally so you can just "level" up again despite the leveling up actually being a cosmetic level?

Pretty poor attempt at prolonging longevity once you've hit 99 in a skill.

Honestly can't see the point in resetting something to level 1, only to work  grind twice as long to get it back up 99 again before another reset? I'd much prefer Jagex re-balance all the skills and expand some of them out to 120 before anything else. 

• Like 1

Due to people/items/locations disappearing/appearing based on quests they'd literally have to confine the entire replay into an instanced area, plus they'd have to add in duplicate variables to check for certain things, such as keys etc, to correctly register that you don't have them despite the fact they may be sitting in your bank. Not to mention insanely tight checks needed on said instances to make sure you don't have anything you should not have in terms of keys, abilities items etc and special instanced spell books and lodestones etc to correctly route your movements within the instance. Plus it'd be next to impossible to allow you to leave the instance and come back to it later because the potential for game breaking bugs due to conflicting data on where an npc is and what you can do is enormous, especially for npcs involved in a large amount of quests and content unlocked by the quest, or it's follow ups.

It's just a lot of work for very little pay off, especially when you start factoring in a lot of quests use huge swathes of the world and they'd each have to have their own instance to be replayable.

It's just not something you can make every quest work with and, for quests not made with it in mind, a nightmare to add. They have said though, with a bit of work, they ought to be able to let us rewatch most cinematic cutscenes if they got the dev budget and, as shown in DoC quests in self contained areas with replay built in from the start can have some replay-ability.

I think using a prestige like system they could allow you to replay through them a bit easier. First of all they'd need to require that you reset your whole quest list, this way they don't have to worry about the exp because you couldn't just repeat the same quest over and over for massive exp gain, most quests aren't really very good exp for the time spent. Second when you prestiged the quest list, all quest items and reward items would be removed from your bank until you re-earned them during the quest. Also you'd lose access to any areas that require the quest to obtain entry. When listening to the podcast, all the stuff they mentioned only seemed like an issue if you were replaying 1 quest at a time because if you have to replay them all before you reset then exp isn't really an issue, and if you have to replay them all then they can actually take away all quest rewards you've obtained without causing issues.

They also haven't said its impossible, they said they aren't working on it which is an incredibly stupid idea considering how heavily they seem to be pushing the lore now and how top-heavy the game has become. A lot of the players have been playing for a long time, I don't remember a lot of the quests I've done too well just because its been so long. They take several years to finish a quest-line and by that time it can be hard to remember the previous quests in the series. 

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I think using a prestige like system they could allow you to replay through them a bit easier. First of all they'd need to require that you reset your whole quest list, this way they don't have to worry about the exp because you couldn't just repeat the same quest over and over for massive exp gain, most quests aren't really very good exp for the time spent. Second when you prestiged the quest list, all quest items and reward items would be removed from your bank until you re-earned them during the quest. Also you'd lose access to any areas that require the quest to obtain entry. When listening to the podcast, all the stuff they mentioned only seemed like an issue if you were replaying 1 quest at a time because if you have to replay them all before you reset then exp isn't really an issue, and if you have to replay them all then they can actually take away all quest rewards you've obtained without causing issues.

They also haven't said its impossible, they said they aren't working on it which is an incredibly stupid idea considering how heavily they seem to be pushing the lore now and how top-heavy the game has become. A lot of the players have been playing for a long time, I don't remember a lot of the quests I've done too well just because its been so long. They take several years to finish a quest-line and by that time it can be hard to remember the previous quests in the series. 

Certainly a blanket reset on quests would make things simpler, but some how I don't think 99.99% of people who want quest replays want to blanket reset all near 200 quests.

And it still wouldn't be an easy task, there's a huge number of variables to be reset to revert quest related changes that probably couldn't all be altered without a serious load screen or forced log out. Then there's the huge thousands of items to be checked for in several places for removal to reset quests and the question comes then of where to draw the line: Should someone lose their stockpile of blisterwood stakes because they shouldn't have them? and If they don't what steps are then required to build in the exception and stop those stakes being used to shortcut the quests?

Should all the Temple trekking rewards be revoked too and you have to re-level all of them?

The vyre kills for boosting weapons?

The list is just endless.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Certainly a blanket reset on quests would make things simpler, but some how I don't think 99.99% of people who want quest replays want to blanket reset all near 200 quests.

And it still wouldn't be an easy task, there's a huge number of variables to be reset to revert quest related changes that probably couldn't all be altered without a serious load screen or forced log out. Then there's the huge thousands of items to be checked for in several places for removal to reset quests and the question comes then of where to draw the line: Should someone lose their stockpile of blisterwood stakes because they shouldn't have them? and If they don't what steps are then required to build in the exception and stop those stakes being used to shortcut the quests?

Should all the Temple trekking rewards be revoked too and you have to re-level all of them?

The vyre kills for boosting weapons?

The list is just endless.

Fair enough, it is a big list of things. But in many ways so are complete skill resets. A complete reset of quest list would be better than never being able to play a quest again. Complete skill resets have a lot of extra rewards to take into account such as POP, dunge binds, etc. I think with Jagex focusing so heavily on the lore, having no way to replay the current quests is a major weakness that they should be focusing heavily on fixing.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

True but we have recap npcs for most big series and if they work on the cinematic replayability that'd solve the problem of the lore replay.

Skills aren't quite the same in reset, they are all already coded to be you need x to do y if you drop below x you can't do y because we've had plenty of stat reducing effects in-game. Sure there's 1 or 2 things that may be grey areas (eg Pop), but most stuff has the code already there to deal with your level dropping.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

True but we have recap npcs for most big series and if they work on the cinematic replayability that'd solve the problem of the lore replay.

Skills aren't quite the same in reset, they are all already coded to be you need x to do y if you drop below x you can't do y because we've had plenty of stat reducing effects in-game. Sure there's 1 or 2 things that may be grey areas (eg Pop), but most stuff has the code already there to deal with your level dropping.

I don't think the cinematics really do a very good job for the replays, honestly. They cover some of it but a lot still gets left behind. Especially because they don't even seem to have them for some recent quests and definitely don't have them for the older ones. I think they should put the resources into quest replays now because the longer they wait the more its going to take in order to do it. Quests shouldn't be one time things when so much is tied up into them.