Dev Blog - Prestige

Matt258

What I'm not 100% clear on:

So when prestiging it still adds to your 'normal' xp until that hits 200m

Does this mean xp already gotten past 99 (or gotten past 99 after this update) outside prestige mode will automatically add to our prestige level when we turn it on?

The blurb about how the hiscores look kinda implies it would.

it seems like an easy out though, because exp rates at 99 are usually significantly higher than at 1

8f14270694.jpg

I suppose the logical answer may be that existing xp beyond 99 will count to initial prestige, but after this update is live only xp gained with it turned on will count.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I suppose the logical answer may be that existing xp beyond 99 will count to initial prestige, but after this update is live only xp gained with it turned on will count.

That wouldn't make any sense with what they are trying to do.

I'm pretty sure that when you hit reset you are going back to 0 xp whether you had 13 or 130 mil.

So once you max out a skill on the second go round you are going to want to prestige it immediately or you are going to be spinning your wheels and just padding your legacy highscore which will still be capped so the suomis of the world don't shoot themselves.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I.... honestly.... don't......... even........

What the bleep are they smoking.... This will be shocking; no one save suomi style addicts will bother, and it will waste a great deal of jagex's time on what could otherwise be a nice squeel of fortune update.

You are forgetting:

- DIYers who hit the 99 milestone

- End game all-around players (like me)

- Players who are passionate and love training particular one skill.

Nice generalization though. SUOMI like players fit into that passionate player category. They love going for the sake of total xp... In this case they will just have to be mindful of prestiging to maximize their overall prestige rank.

If i were a DIYer I would hate this because I only would get skills up high for the benefits, not the xp

Im an endgame player and since 99 all skills is my endgame I still dont think I would use this concept

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Honestly a terrible idea. Instead of raising the cap and filling in the gaps we have already they want us to repeat the current content and grind even more. I can understand that the hiscore rank is important to some people. But this important? To do all of this? No...Just raise the level cap in that case. I normally like most of what Jagex comes up with. But not this at all.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Honestly a terrible idea. Instead of raising the cap and filling in the gaps we have already they want us to repeat the current content and grind even more. I can understand that the hiscore rank is important to some people. But this important? To do all of this? No...Just raise the level cap in that case. I normally like most of what Jagex comes up with. But not this at all.

Raising the level cap just makes the game even more top-heavy. Half the point of this is to make low-mid level content useful again.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

200m dg xp/prestige ranking plz jagex

I wonder how DG will work? Just 200m after the first time?

Yes, Just 200m after first. https://twitter.com/JagexJack/status/388409120568537088

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Great moneysink,

Where? Nowhere. This is not money sink.

" You can only make this switch while you’re in a bank, and we’re considering adding a gold cost to it to make it clear that you’re not supposed to be flipping it willy-nilly."

Moneysink potential.

Especially when you consider if they keep a good stream of updates and people have a good social group for pvm or w/e but equally want to compete in the hiscores they are going to have solid reasons to keep flipping stats back and forth.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Maybe I need to move on with times but personally I'd much rather 50m xp in a skill than Prestige 3... Unless the incentives for prestiging are really worthwhile. :P

Dwaynee.png

Trimmed Completionist 8th October 2014 | Check out my blog Here.

Raising the level cap just makes the game even more top-heavy. Half the point of this is to make low-mid level content useful again.

Except this will probably make it harder for actual low/mid levels to get the supplies they need to train.

I'd see it as the exact opposite, several low end resources can be harder to come by because people simply are not gathering them.

With this update suddenly those items can gain in value and have lots more people in there gathering them again and not just high lvls prestiging, but low levels who see a new low end accessible money maker, which could help to increase availability.

Sure it may put prices up a bit, but it ought to open up more low end ways to make money and is a low price really better if it's only low because of lack of supply and demand?

On a slight tangent I could see this being some what instrumental in helping get new players in too, in theory anyway. One of the largest flaws of early game is there's just no-one around these areas and even if there are it's often the blind leading the blind. By sending high levels back there you make the areas busier again, thus appearing more appealing to new players and open up the chance for them to get some guidance from an experienced user.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I can see some good coming from this ei low level content useful again. But i have one concern, does this reek of desperation to anyone else? I mean what better way to sell bonds & squeals then selling them to players who have their 99s reset looking at ways to quicken their training. It also seems like a way to hold players that might be drafting away due to having all 99s and nothing to play for anymore. I think they should really be focusing on bringing in new players finding ways to keep new players engaged with the game. I know most people here are all max type players but without new players the game will not continue.

I can see some good coming from this ei low level content useful again. But i have one concern, does this reek of desperation to anyone else? I mean what better way to sell bonds & squeals then selling them to players who have their 99s reset looking at ways to quicken their training. It also seems like a way to hold players that might be drafting away due to having all 99s and nothing to play for anymore. I think they should really be focusing on bringing in new players finding ways to keep new players engaged with the game. I know most people here are all max type players but without new players the game will not continue.

Why desperation?

Half the aim of a company is gain customers, the other half is to keep customers they have.

If you have a building buffer of players who have 'finished' the game it's just good business sense to look at ways that can keep them engaged and retain them as a customer. Such as making the entire thing replayable for competition giving them a lot more they can potentially do.

I mean sure getting new customers is important, but does it really do the company any good to pump in 2000 new customers a day if 2000+ customers are leaving at the top end of the game everyday. It just creates a status quo or decrease, where as if you can maintain existing customers and then bring in new ones you go from status quo to growth.

Equally I don't see it as trying to sell bonds or spins or w/e to these players more so than before, I mean we had that option anyway on the road to maxed at some point or other for every single player.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Is it just me, or is anyone else hoping this means "extreme high level content" eg;

Armour/Weapons requiring Level 2 or even Level 3 prestige?

This would in theory mean say 99 Armours (13M xp) and higher (39M xp) as it doubles for your next 99.

This could be very interesting for things such as future PvM bosses, especially if these armours were to give huge life-points.

Is it just me, or is anyone else hoping this means "extreme high level content" eg;

Armour/Weapons requiring Level 2 or even Level 3 prestige?

This would in theory mean say 99 Armours (13M xp) and higher (39M xp) as it doubles for your next 99.

This could be very interesting for things such as future PvM bosses, especially if these armours were to give huge life-points.

They've outright confirmed multiple times that any rewards for prestiging will be cosmetic

I really hope they don't change their mind and add non-cosmetics. That just increases the total work required to come as close as possible to achieving everything.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Why desperation?

Half the aim of a company is gain customers, the other half is to keep customers they have.

If you have a building buffer of players who have 'finished' the game it's just good business sense to look at ways that can keep them engaged and retain them as a customer. Such as making the entire thing replayable for competition giving them a lot more they can potentially do.

I mean sure getting new customers is important, but does it really do the company any good to pump in 2000 new customers a day if 2000+ customers are leaving at the top end of the game everyday. It just creates a status quo or decrease, where as if you can maintain existing customers and then bring in new ones you go from status quo to growth.

Equally I don't see it as trying to sell bonds or spins or w/e to these players more so than before, I mean we had that option anyway on the road to maxed at some point or other for every single player.

Maybe reeks is a little strong. But you wont lose top end players at the rate you lose players that may create an account and play for a few days and then say meh and move on to the next things that draws their attention for a couple hours. I know this forum is filled with higher top end players so thinking about the low end of the game isn't what concerns most people. But I do wish Jagex would focus efforts into bringing in and keeping new players then focus on content that takes a new player weeks or months to even try out. Those updates mean nothing to a level 40 or 50 or lower. I mean at least one update a month should focus on new players. I don't want to see Runescape end up with like 10k players who then slowly fade away because nothing is updated anymore.

I would like to see new skill capes for prestiged skill. Ever since seeing those player-designed capes I've been noticing my capes aren't particularily pretty. If they keep the same stats as the current capes it would be more or less a cosmetic item and would allow a way to upgrade the looks of the old capes. Perhaps just a small number on the cape to show the prestige level you've reached.

rs_skillcapes_vol1_level99epicness_by_va

Mod Jack has mentioned that prestige cosmetics won't fit into any of the equipment slot, so it'll probably function like the gaze effects. Any cosmetics will be strictly procedural too, so if at Prestige 1 there's a numeral I hovering around you, then at Prestige 5 there'll be a V and so on.

Somewhat satisfied with that, at least there's nothing huge to gun for like a new cape/item at level 120/200M XP, just a small and predictably increasing cosmetic.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm sure that there are people for whom this update will be incredibly useful. I need to re-99 a skill (for at least double the total XP) like I need a hole in my head.

I'm not terribly excited for the market impact either, but I am hoping that most people just aren't that eager to throw that much money at skills for nothing more than high scores, at least no more than already do, so the market impact will be minimal. I do like it though for keeping track of the top players, since it handily get's around the max xp problem, at least until someone max prestiges (if I were Jagex, once someone reached the point where it would be more than 200m xp, I'd just set it to 200m and let them keep prestiging at that xp amount as many times as they wanted, removing an upper limit that could be feasibly reached in a human lifespan (it would be roughly 859 trillion xp before someone could prestige more times than can be tracked with a 32 bit integer under that system, in a single skill, or ~188,000 times the total xp of the current top player).

I'm sure that there are people for whom this update will be incredibly useful. I need to re-99 a skill (for at least double the total XP) like I need a hole in my head.

I'm not terribly excited for the market impact either, but I am hoping that most people just aren't that eager to throw that much money at skills for nothing more than high scores, at least no more than already do, so the market impact will be minimal. I do like it though for keeping track of the top players, since it handily get's around the max xp problem, at least until someone max prestiges (if I were Jagex, once someone reached the point where it would be more than 200m xp, I'd just set it to 200m and let them keep prestiging at that xp amount as many times as they wanted, removing an upper limit that could be feasibly reached in a human lifespan (it would be roughly 859 trillion xp before someone could prestige more times than can be tracked with a 32 bit integer under that system, in a single skill, or ~188,000 times the total xp of the current top player).

Thats basically what they're doing. Dunge's 2nd prestige and up require 200m, and 15+ for other skills require 194m. Prestiges aren't capped. Also, I'm interested in what it will do to the basically stagnant lower-mid level markets. I also think that raising the costs on skilling items is probably good in the long run. Skilling is just so worthless in making money nowadays compared to other methods like bossing.