Dev Blog - Prestige

Matt258

Prestige will probably cap at a certain number like maybe 10?

Hopefully there is a system to pull how much xp players already have when this goes live. I would hate to see people with 200m stats lose xp to use on it.

No cap on prestige except human mortality

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Hopefully there is a system to pull how much xp players already have when this goes live. I would hate to see people with 200m stats lose xp to use on it.

How do you know?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

How do you know?

Because their explicit goal is to make the only target be the top of the highscores.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

NO.... -.-

Too bad for you if they make it a trim requirement :P

That would push me to the point of quitting. :P Nothing is worth the pain of a prestige system like this.

I knew that this disgraceful day would come where Jagex would shamelessly incentivize such obsessive and unhealthy behaviour. It's absolutely inevitable that they will slowly add more and more tangible rewards to this in order to encourage players to waste their time on this nonsense and slowly move up the 99 cap. It's certainly a slippery slope, and a pretty atrocious one at that. It's a transparent attempt to condition us into spending more and more time doing pointless stuff.

And this is all their fault; if they hadn't given out bonus experience like it was paper, then there wouldn't so many people with 99s and 99s wouldn't be utterly meaningless.

Completely idiotic update. Unscrupulous hacks.

• Like 4

How do you know?

LRL15zE.png

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I knew that this disgraceful day would come where Jagex would shamelessly incentivize such obsessive and unhealthy behaviour. It's absolutely inevitable that they will slowly add more and more tangible rewards to this in order to encourage players to waste their time on this nonsense and slowly move up the 99 cap. It's certainly a slippery slope, and a pretty atrocious one at that. It's a transparent attempt to condition us into spending more and more time doing pointless stuff.

And this is all their fault; if they hadn't given out bonus experience like it was paper, then there wouldn't so many people with 99s and 99s wouldn't be utterly meaningless.

I think it's more disgraceful that we live in a society that feels that everyone needs to be babied and sheltered to prevent them from making any of their mistakes in life. If someone messes up their lives by overplaying a video game, that is their mistake to make. Without making mistakes, we cannot learn from them, and trying to put everyone in a plastic bubble to prevent all the "big bag monsters" of life is doing more harm than good.

Blame the right people when these things happen. It's like blaming McDonalds for having their coffee burn them. It's MCDONALD'S fault that you dropped the coffee on your lap and burned yourself, definitely not yours, how could you ever know the coffee was hot?!

I don't buy into nonsense about inidividuals being sovereigns and simply making optimal choices based on free will. Individuals are highly malleable and they respond to social and environmental pressures, so I am for promoting pressures that produce better, or at least healthy, social results.

So no, I am blaming the right people for this. Prevention, not reaction.

---

But even if we put all of that aside, and focus solely on the gameplay aspect (without any moral considerations), the fact of the matter is that Jagex completely devalued 99's as an achievement by proliferating bonus experience everywhere so they could make short-term cash (bonus weekends, months, items, SOF). Now they have actually caughten onto this fact that they have made 99's completely worthless, so they are punishing us for their mistake.

I don't buy into nonsense about inidividuals being sovereigns and simply making optimal choices based on free will. Individuals are highly malleable and they respond to social and environmental pressures, so I am for promoting pressures that produce better, or at least healthy, social results.

I guess we just differ then. I don't think we should blame McDonald's for people becoming obese because they choose to eat there every day. I don't feel that we should blame drug dealers for people overdosing. I don't blame Jagex for creating a game when people play to unhealthy levels.

I guess common sense should be completely abolished, and everyone should never be held accountable for their own actions. Sounds like a perfect system to me really. Just the society we live in I guess, as everyone likes to blame others, but not themselves for their own mistakes. Man society is getting worse every day...

I guess we just differ then. I don't think we should blame McDonald's for people becoming obese because they choose to eat there every day. I don't feel that we should blame drug dealers for people overdosing. I don't blame Jagex for creating a game when people play to unhealthy levels.

I guess common sense should be completely abolished, and everyone should never be held accountable for their own actions. Sounds like a perfect system to me really. Just the society we live in I guess, as everyone likes to blame others, but not themselves for their own mistakes. Man society is getting worse every day...

Common sense is nothing more than agreed-upon prejudices and customs; what is common sense to you and others may not be sensible to myself and others. So no, I don't care at all for your conception of how we should handle these sorts of things, which seems to be some sort of laissez faire, methodological individualism approach -- I don't accept these concepts in the least.

We both simply disagree, and that's all there is to it.

---------

I do find it somewhat surprising that they didn't even pretend to put any limits on this, "Nope, you can reset however many times you want!". Not even the facade of 200M.

I do find it somewhat surprising that they didn't even pretend to put any limits on this, "Nope, you can reset however many times you want!". Not even the facade of 200M.

It's not surprising considering the reason for the update.

If they put a limit, then eventually people will get first to reach the limit, preventing anyone from even hoping to get past them.

I think it's more disgraceful that we live in a society that feels that everyone needs to be babied and sheltered to prevent them from making any of their mistakes in life. If someone messes up their lives by overplaying a video game, that is their mistake to make. Without making mistakes, we cannot learn from them, and trying to put everyone in a plastic bubble to prevent all the "big bag monsters" of life is doing more harm than good.

Blame the right people when these things happen. It's like blaming McDonalds for having their coffee burn them. It's MCDONALD'S fault that you dropped the coffee on your lap and burned yourself, definitely not yours, how could you ever know the coffee was hot?!

Stop using the McDonald's case as an example. The woman had 3rd degree burns. McDonald's had been warned many times before and still deliberately served the coffee way hotter than they should have. The woman originally just asked for about $18,000 for missed work and hospital bills and only sued when McDonald's refused. The jury looked at McDonald's history and decided to punish them for their negligence.

• Like 1

Stop using the McDonald's case as an example. The woman had 3rd degree burns. McDonald's had been warned many times before and still deliberately served the coffee way hotter than they should have. The woman originally just asked for about $18,000 for missed work and hospital bills and only sued when McDonald's refused. The jury looked at McDonald's history and decided to punish them for their negligence.

It was still the woman who decided it would be a good idea to put hot coffee balanced between her legs in the car, the point still remains the same, regardless if she had third degree burns, or just had a mild pain that went away after a couple hours, it's simple common sense.

But no point going on, 200m all skills thread gets derailed enough for the mods, no sense derailing this even further.

I don't think anyone was mentioning a single case here, but rather just the idea that McDonalds probably knows their product is not healthy, and therefor shouldn't be selling it, as they know it's addictive and unhealthy if you eat too much of it. I think he was making a general statement rather than a specific statement about a certain action.

---

I also think that we shouldn't rely on people to make optimum choices, because in general they do *not*. A society should have pressures in place which lead to more optimum choices. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons for people who make choices which are optimum to themselves and quite logical, but actually destroy the entire society if everyone does it.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png

Would you mind taking a sociology or psychology class before making such sweeping and self-righteous examples, please? Thank you.

• Like 4

Can we please get back on topic now. Thank you.

I don't like this "prestige" idea .. I hope it gets scrapped.. if it doesn't, I don't think I will reset my levels..I have worked far too long for them.

• Like 3

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

I don't like this "prestige" idea .. I hope it gets scrapped.. if it doesn't, I don't think I will reset my levels..I have worked far too long for them.

This.

Serena_Sedai.png

I'm considering getting 99 div so I can have my comp trim back and then prestigeing them all. Would be nice to be able to gain levels in everything again. Also, I like cosmetics and overrides and emotes.

In all honestly this probably won't have an effect on me once so ever.Goods for just about everything may increase, but if that's the case my "income" will probably increase too. That 's assuming the demand>supply. It really just depends on what happens the first month or two after this before any real conclusion can be drawn. But if I was to guess, nothing will really change. My 99s are already devalued to the point of being impressive for only 5 minutes, so it's not like they can make me feel worse of nolifing to max cape. If anything I'll probably say something like "Wow. You prestige mining 122213243 times? You crazy".

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]