Evolution of PVP combat!

V O R K

I didn't say 1:30 or 4:50 were luck. I said there was very, very little skill involved. Unless "click the special attack bar" is considered skillfull now? That lack of skill made PK'ing unrewarding. It was still fun - just not rewarding.

I want you to look my avatar straight in the eyes and tell me 1:30~ took any amount of skill to execute and wasn't merely a diceroll that made it into the video. The amount of times I've done that same Barrage->DDS on mystic and spec'd 0/0 is nearly countless. The amount of times I've splashed Barrage in Ahrims vs Melee Barrows is countless....

It only got worse when spec attacks got more and more powerful and max hits got higher and higher. It removed what little skill there actually was and just turned it into "cross your fingers for a good spec attack." 

Then came turmoil, storm of armadyl, diamond (e), PvP armors, Dclaws, AGS, Korasi's, Dark Bow.........

It wasn't uncommon to have my skill not matter at all. Sometimes I'd get dropped to the DClaw specs. Sometimes I wouldn't. Sometimes I'd hit near-max several times in a row. Sometimes I wouldn't. I'd say in roughly 1/2 my fights my personal skill level didn't matter at all. I won or loss entirely on a dice roll - and most of those dice rolls were whether or not someone just hit a max spec or not... That's unrewarding gameplay. Sure I found it fun - in the same way people find gambling in Vegas fun. It's all luck and no actual skill and hell, in Vegas the odds are even against you... yet people find it fun.

I found PK'ing fun - even if it wasn't very skillfull back then. Post-EoC I find it skillfull, but not at all fun. =P

Just the intro of this shows how bad the powercreep was:

This is why I stopped PK'ing.. theres no skill in this. Clicked the spec bar twice and hit for over max HP (not counting brew topping off)

ictzeg.png

obuvuv.png

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

I said that RC PKers were easy to kill. So I'm not sure why you're trying to argue about the little skill required to kill them. Nobody's arguing against you there. >_>

And it was also sort of taboo to be a RC PKer back then-- a lot of people, including myself, would hop from world to world, actively hunting down RC PKers since they were such easy kills worth decent loot. This was one of the most famous PK videos of that time because people hated RC PKers so much:

77yLQy8.png

Because it was beyond RC PKers and it was everyone in general. This isn't about being easy or hard but the difference between what an easy kill and what a hard kill is (hint: the only difference is how heavily RNG favored one person over the other and switches)

In most any other game you will never see a player win simply due to "more lucky". Not in any competitive 2D fighter game, not in any action games, never in any FPS games, not in any RPG with skillfull PvP (Dark Souls comes to mind), in almost every game that is taken seriously for its PvP. The PvP has very few luck factors.

RS is almost all luck factor and landing your switches.

Assuming you weren't terrible at switches and could click a bar that says [sPECIAL ATTACK] you would come out on top more often than not. The defining line of most PK'ing was who had better switches. It became so bad that people started using macros to have perfect switches because anything less typically meant you lost the fight. Actual skill didn't really matter. Just land your switches and pray to the RNG gods.

And for the most part - that's all RS pre-EoC ever was. Land your switches and pray to the RNG gods that you don't hit 0's on Mystic/Ahrims or splash against Rune/Barrows/Bandos.

Unless you were a range tank. Then landing switches was for prissy little girls. Just pray to the RNG gods that your Diamond/Dragon/Morrigan specs landed.

Part of what would make Runescape PvP rewarding is if it were less luck based and more skill based.

Part of what would make EoC PvP more rewarding is if fights lasted longer than 8 seconds.

How about a video during a time when most PK'ers were fighting actual PK'ers? (Because non-PK'ers had no reason to go into BH)

54 w/ Range vs rune (Dragon (e) Spec)  /passive spec

30->41 Range vs rune (dragon (e) spec) /passive spec

60~ hit with BGS vs rune / active spec

34->27 Barrages vs Black D'hides  /lol dragonhides

26/4 , 0/30 DDS specs in Ahrims vs Torags / lol torags

2, 63 AGS specs vs Torags / lol torags

This is why I stopped PvPing seriously in 2006.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

I quit PK'ing a bit after 2007 so DDS and Dark Bow specs were the only threats back then. Anyways: http://forum.tip.it/topic/323191-legacy-mode/?view=findpost&p=5478768

People also wouldn't DD under frozen enemies with the lack of terrain. Bad PK'ers often didn't know when to time their attacks to be able to hit you back. Also the cast time of the Ancient spells (before Jagex changed them...)

But your list, compared to most other games, is very small and has more to do with game knowledge than executing any skill in combat.

Choosing to level to 45 defence and do Lunar quests wasn't a matter of skill. Just game knowledge. Using higher tier foods/sharkbrewing wasn't a matter of skill (the skillcap to succesfully sharkbrew is nearly non-existant). Just basic game knowledge.

The highest amount of skill wasn't bringing hybrid/tribrid gear, but utilizing it properly via switches.

Knowing when to spec became kinda obsolete when most specs started hitting higher than 50. If they were below 3/4ths life they were open targets for specing and that's what led to what HP people ate at being moved from "eating at below 25hp" to "eating at below 70hp"

The line between a good PK'er and a bad PK'er started blurring around 2006-2007 because the skill ceiling was lowered to anyone capable of pressing a spec bar and switching armors. There are plenty of videos of bridders who completely fail at all their switches but still make it out with bank loot. DDS specing in ahrims even though they have Max Str gear in inventory. Barraging w/ Karils top + whip when they have ahrim in inventory. Barraging vs Karils instead of using their whip. Yet they still get the kill because they hit something absurd like 32->36->40 w/ barrage vs Karils.

RS is a very, very, very low skill cap game. That's why it's always been a joke.

Of course, people find it fun still. If they find it fun, they find it fun. *shrugs*

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Nice posts :)... That's the reason I went F2P PKing :P! 

I'm not really phased at which combat system they throw my way, the wilderness is so unique of all the games i've played it could only compare slightly with D2: hardcore mode: Loot on killdrop is unheard of in other games and that to me is the most rewarding part.

I wasn't around when they added another 0 to the damage though? I think I quit when Godswords came around.

Aww I miss BH so much... 

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

DEFENDERS

2ia3oub.png

<333333333333333

I need some opinions of you guys because i'm not really too certain how I feel about it...

1izh2a.png

For the better or worse? I tend to agree but I see a lot of players argueing that this was one of the few appropiate things that came along with EoC.

wrdq9h.jpg

^Last post in response to: "Can we get more EXP if we fight deeper"? 

r2nt50.png

Old/reworked CMB formula gets former wilderness levels back too. Guess it's time to revert the TT guides again :P...

afkolz.png

Defence/abilities getting attention

Few more specifics involving weapons/specs:

Storm of armadyl

2iqhhjm.png

Yes we definetly don't need another seismic!

Statius warhammer spec

2m2vwj5.png

Going to be beast for PvM (Thirty percent defence reduction)

:)

✿ ♥‿♥)

Without ability delay it seems like a nifty item to quikly switch to, get a parried attack + extra accuracy on my planned treshold.

If it works out properly ofcourse... 

Bj1TYsFCMAE474S.png

https://twitter.com/JagexPi/status/449491318691987456/photo/1/large

Tip it Multi wilderness map

Multizones coming back :3

Revenants will be reworked soon and pvp armour changes coming to beta :)... Wish my laptop didn't run on 1/3 fps -_-

dyvfvs.png

In response to poison getting altered

✿ ♥‿♥)

• 2 weeks later...

Just played Crucible Deathmatch mode. Easily the most fun I've had in PVP since Clan Wars white portal in 2008-9.

Some power-ups are pretty insane, like Chicken Army which lets you spawn an army of chickens (?!), Overpowered which lets you hit around 4 times harder, and of course the power-up that turns all your foes' food into cabbage.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Bleh, wish my laptop could run beta...

The changes below are now live in the combat beta. 

The Crucible

The core gameplay of the Crucible has been converted to a mode entitled Bounty Hunter, which differs as follows:

Requires no fee to enter.

Possible to attack any player.

Killing a player not assigned to you and picking up dropped items will incur a 'rogue' penalty, where you are unable to leave the arena for 3 minutes. This is refreshed whenever another item is picked up.

The Supreme Hunter is now assigned by finding the Essence of Death within the arena, and killing other players nearby to activate the effect.

A new special attack has been added to the 'supreme defender' weapons which summons 10 ghosts. Each one of these imparts 10% damage resistance to the Supreme Hunter and attacks players near the Supreme Hunter.

A new interface has been added, showing kill-death ratio in the current round.

An icon is now displayed above each player's head, displaying an approximation of their worth, should they be killed.

A new Deathmatch Mode has been added, which involves a 30-player battle with safe death and power-ups.

A new lobby has been added to the Crucible, allowing access to the new Bounty Hunter and Deathmatch modes.

PvP Armour

New sets of armour designed for PvP have been added to the game. These have lower life point bonuses, but impart PvP-specific damage reduction. In the beta, pick them up for free from Mr Ex in Edgeville.

Multi-Way Wilderness Zones

The Wilderness is, once again, divided into single and multi-way combat areas. These are laid out similarly to before, with a few changes to accommodate Warbands.

The Single-Way Wilderness toggle ability has been removed.

Ability Balancing

Magic:

Wrack has had its damage reduced to 94% weapon damage and 125% weapon damage vs stunned targets.

Impact now does 188% damage vs stun immune targets – otherwise, it binds the target.

Combust now does 100-188% weapon damage over time, doubled if the target moves.

Sonic Wave now does 157% weapon damage.

Concentrated Blast now does 70% weapon damage per hit. Crit chance is unchanged.

Detonate's charge time has been halved. If a target is selected when it is used, the area of effect will be that target's position at the time of activation. If not, it will be player-centred, as before.

Dragon Breath now fires in a tighter arc, but has a longer range. It also deactivates protection prayers.

Melee:

Slice now does 94% weapon damage, and its cooldown is linked to Punish.

Sever's cooldown has been halved, as has the duration of its debuff.

Havoc now does 157% weapon damage, and its cooldown has been shortened.

Hurricane now does 219% weapon damage.

Dismember now does 100-188% weapon damage over a shorter time, and has a shorter cooldown.

Punish's cooldown has been shortened, and linked to that of Slice.

Fury now works as a melee version of the Magic ability Concentrated Blast.

Decimate now does up to 188% weapon damage, and its cooldown has been lowered. In PvP, it does 244% weapon damage if the target is using a shield.

Cleave now does 188% weapon damage.

Massacre now does 188% weapon damage instantly, then another 188% weapon damage over 6 seconds.

Ranged:

Piercing Shot now does 94% weapon damage and 125% weapon damage vs stunned targets.

Binding Shot no longer damages non stunned targets.

Snipe now has an upper damage limit of 219% weapon damage. It also deactivates the target's protection prayers.

Fragmentation Shot now does double damage, rather than triple.

Dazing shot now does 157% weapon damage.

Needle Strike now does 157% weapon damage.

Deadshot now does 188% weapon damage instantly, then another 188% weapon damage over 6 seconds.

Defence:

Bash now deals damage based on the level of the wielded shield.

Revenge misses will now increase the stack effect by 10%.

Debilitate's now lasts longer, based on the level of the wielded shield.

Reflect's cooldown has been increased to 30 seconds.

Stun Mechanics

All stuns currently at basic level will bind their target and add an interrupt – this will stop the current attack and put all abilities on cooldown, but still allow the target to eat.

Four new threshold stun abilities have been added.

Transfigure is now a long interrupt instead of a stun.

Asphyxiate and Destroy no longer repetitively stun their targets.

Asphyxiate, Destroy and Rapid Fire now bind your target in place when they are first cast.

Barge no longer stuns and can be cast without a target, allowing it to be used like Surge.

Barge now breaks free from binds (not stuns) and charges at a selected target, dealing up to 125% weapon damage.

Other

A new ability - Siphon - has been added. This level 20 constitution basic ability leeches up to 10% adrenaline from the target if they have more than the user, and has a one minute cooldown.

The dragonfire shield has had its special attack re-implemented, dealing fire magic damage with a 2 minute cooldown between attacks.

Bakriminel bolts's old special effects have been re-added. You can select which effect you’d like to apply by right-clicking them.

Dominion gloves now reduce damage from the combat style you’re weak against by 1-5% damage each hit. These is a 5% chance they’ll reduce damage by 10-50% instead.

Defenders now have a 5% chance to parry melee attacks, reducing the damage by 50-100% and increasing the accuracy of your next attack by 20%.

Poison has been improved to be more effective in combat, lasting longer and scaling in damage with the tier of poison used.

Phoenix necklaces now have a 1 minute cooldown.

Portents of restoration now have a 15 second cooldown.

✿ ♥‿♥)

i'm off [bleep] now. Crucible seems nice

anyone have any pictures? My laptop runs too slow and I have to work anyhow :P

RIP op reflect :P

I need to test poison and [bleep] I only have 3K super poison x)

✿ ♥‿♥)

RIP free seismics & tectonic on beta?

@Stun reworks, Pi

Hey guys,
About time I pitched in I think with where we were coming from with this change, why we made it, why we feel this way is better and how we can continue to evolve this in beta to hopefully suit everybody.

The main reason behind moving an actual lock down of the player from a basic to a threshold is a simple case of cost vs reward. We feel that the ability to totally lock down an player and stop them from eating food is something that should have an appropriate cost and as such we moved it from a basic to a threshold. I still feel that is the right place for a stun but from reading this we can look at the way it synergises with anti-stun mechanics and the effectiveness of the stun to get the abilities sat where we want them.

I disagree with the statement that the old stuns were fine and I'm sure many others would too. Due to the fact that stuns were basics with relatively short cool downs fights had a tendency to just tunnel vision on stuns/countering stuns meaning fights were less about managing damage and more about managing anticipation and freedom. This actually lowers diversity in combat and leads to a boring combat system. It was also lead to a very poor experience in PvP for anyone who wasn't stun savvy. While I'm very much an advocate of a high skill ceiling in PvP, the system should ease a player into the system and then keep giving them more to work on. Having new players just run away scared because they were stun locked and ko'd in 5 seconds doesn't help the community at all as you'll just run out of PKers eventually. It is in all of your interests to help new players ease into the combat system and we feel this change helps with that.

While looking at how to counter this issue there were 2 things we could have done.
1. Increase the cooldown on stuns
2. Move stuns to thresholds
We chose moving stuns to thresholds as increasing cooldowns would mess with rotations too much. We still wanted you to have the ability to affect your opponent with a basic though and we wanted you to not lose adrenaline in your rotations so we added the current basics which interrupt your opponent.

I want to make it very clear that we are still very much in favor of keeping stuns in the system as we feel they add a lot to the combat system and help provide you with another tool in your arsenal to own ppl. We just don't want it to all be about stuns as there are plenty of other things to master too.

What I will look into for the next beta update though is the duration of both stuns and stun immunity. 
From what I can tell the loss of the 15% adrenaline has lowered your ability to capitise on the stun so increasing the duration to allow 1 more attack might help there. Feel free to pitch in your ideas though! :)

Also the amount of stun immunity mechanics we put in to try and help you cope with the previous system seems OTT for the current system. We may need to look into lowering stun immunity duration now it cannot be spammed so much. Of course I will need to keep an eye on how this works in multi but stuns shouldn't be totally taken out of the equation.

Keep up the good feedback!
Pi
--------

I like the adrenaline bar being gone along with the stun reworks & the addition of siphoning (with tresholds later hopefully to steer away from stuns only). Heavy changes though :O

✿ ♥‿♥)

- Quake wasn't initially buffed due to the 10% defence reduction it gives. We don't want just another hurricane. It should do more than just lower stats so i'll look into that as overloads just directly counter this.

- Regarding havoc/decimate & smash/cleave - It looks like the best course of action is to remove the 2h requirement on smash as no other class has this dependency on their prayer removal ability. I'll have to look into this one however as I have no idea what animation will play if you try to do smash with a longsword 0.0

- I actually nerfed wild magic, I didn't buff it :P I only updated the tool tip to accurately describe what it does. However....you are correct in that the lower end of the ability needs to be changed to make it less reliable. I shall go back to the balancing sheets for this one.

- Indeed slaughter does tick for one cycle less than the other bleeds. However, the total damage for the ability is unchanged. We take the damage and divide it by the number of ticks. I can increase this to 5 like the other bleeds but it would lower the per tick damage. Are you happy with this change?

- I will investigate the AoE pattern of tsunami and cleave for you, it's something that does come up often.

- Bakriminal bolts will be switchable in combat soon.

- The deadshot/massicre nerf was un-intentional as was a result of a bug fix. These should revert back next beta update.

- Conc. blast and sonic wave have been balanced to have the same DPM. You've not taken into account that conc. blast is channeled and takes longer to do than sonic wave. 2 hits of conc. blast is roughly the same as sonic wave which, given your number there, is about right :)

- The fact that stun/interrupt abilities for mage and range no longer do damage vs monsters who are not stunned is a good point to bring up with respect to rotations. How does 100% WD in PvM sound? This was changed due to the inconsistency with melee stuns. The change suggested above would be universal across all styles.

- The dom tower gloves were made for you to counter the style that will own you. This makes them more defensive than offensive. We can go back to the drawing board on those and make them offensive if you guys would prefer :)

- The PvP armour change was to combat multiple problems in PvP.

1. Damage reduction was needed. Outgoing damage rates are balanced for PvM and players just don't have the kind of health pool that a boss has.

2. There was a strong demand for lowering the life point contribution on armour in PvP, effectively collapsing the tiers closer together meaning you don't get insta owned by the guy in armour 1 tier above you.

3. This gives us an opportunity to inject a large amount of rewards into PvP minigames.

4. Fundamentally damage rates and patters in PvP differ hugely from those in PvM. Having PvP specific armour allows us to keep both systems on the same core combat system by tweaking specific armour.

With respect to the void changes, it is still what it always has been glass cannon gear. The fact that it provides less LP in PvM shouldn't affect you much. I also slightly buffed the void effect this update too, nobody seems to have noticed that yet :P

That's about it for now from me, I'll get to work on the feedback changes for you guys. Thanks again for the feedback,

Pi

-------

AWEYEAH

✿ ♥‿♥)

I approve of the void buff. :thumbsup:

edit: Dragon Breath is currently broken, hits 2 (maybe more?) times on larger enemies if facing west...

zqr0Uis.gif

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

It seems quite OP again (and i'm a void fanboi :P) . They should really rework PC to either make it harder or only buff the elite counterpart.

I suppose theyve been buffed because of the upcoming combat changes so that'll work out.

They were a great incentive to enter the wilderness, it just irks me that all of my hours trying to acquire said brawler gloves have now been devalued to once again give people safe alternatives. You know how many noobs I had to slay!?

Looking at the OSRS wilderness they have exciting and invigorating content yet we are stuck on combat system tweaks (stealing their ideas below :').

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Deadly nightshade plants - God vine/bush patch with ability to gather multiple.
-Looting bag
-Lever in Edgeville that teleports to Mage bank (MB)
-All monsters on slayer task drop ancient warrior armour & Brawler gloves.
-High level/Profitable thieving chests 
-Area/Cave with high level skill content.
-Rework Chaos elemental/Revant droprate and add unique items to the droptable, PVP armour shards from all monsters in wilderness.
-Monsters that travel over wilderness which you can kill that drop divine locations for a short amount of time
-Solo warband camp with a new drop.

Mage training arena:
They've discovered the workings of the energy from divination and its properties when introduced to the enviroment of the Wilderness.

Invigorate this area with several Divination unlocks and teleblock spell upgrades:

Portent of skulling: Requires 73 divination, 25 prayer and ? energy, blood runes, bones & 100K offered at an altar. Protects 2 (+1) items in non-safe areas, doesn't stack.

Scavenger signet: 80+ Divination, ? energy, ring of wealth. Improves droprates from wilderness monsters/bosses/clues/locations, enables player to cut bloodwood trees and bank the logs, improved rate of acquiring PVP - minigame armour.

Spell upgrades:
Teleblock (abolish): Portents of restoration are only effective for 50%
Teleblock (shimmer): flat out decreases critical bonus/healing properties of jewelry.
Teleblock (ravage): Portent of skulling only protects 1 (+1)

Add harder to obtain LVL 70 God Wands.

✿ ♥‿♥)

• 3 months later...

Speaking as a skiller... Ways to avoid and escape from combat, or store some of the stuff you managed to gather in case you end up dying? Really, things that would make up for the fact that you've got rocks instead of food in your backpack. Generally, make it worth our time (Without dipping into bullshit "choices" that amount to 'this content or no content')

- Escape tunnels that you can only use if you haven't attacked anyone since entering? Ideally, they'd let out somewhere else in the wilderness: it'd basically be a question of whether you want to take your chances with the guy you just got away from, or with whoever might be camping out at the exit.

- Storage caches you can use to drop off a small amount of the stuff you've gathered? Maybe something like 5 items every half hour? A potential D&D-type thing could be a wandering banker who'd drop your stuff off for a fee (which would, of course, be dependent on what you were depositing). Honestly, that was one of the big problems with wilderness skilling in general: there pretty much weren't rewards.

- Speaking of rewards, warbands with better balance you could probably just liberally sprinkle higher-end resource spots in there, since that's (presumably) what the whole point was and they just haven't kept it up to date since Classic. Perhaps with improved experience or gathering rates?

Since they've said that they want to lower the barrier for entry, another possible D&D-type thing could be to just give players either credit toward, or a shot at winning, a piece of unique gear for every [block of time] that they spend in the wilderness alive, with the chances increasing based on how much you've risked during that time. Maybe power armor if you've fought people and tank armor if you haven't? It's something they could use Mandrith for.

Good ideas? Bad ideas? Go-home-alg-you're-drunk-ideas? assuming we actually do have a say in this and won't just be shouted down on principle, as has been the case since at least 2006

• Like 2

Revert warbands nerf or make it to where there are high exp skilling opportunities in the wilderness that require you to be risking wealth.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I'd like to see high level resources: rune rocks, gem rocks, elder trees, rocktails, etc... I'd also like to see faster gathering rates for these resources in the wild than not in the wild. That would provide skillers more incentive to skill in the wild. There would be a higher risk involved, but they would on average be able to get more resources per hour in the wilderness than elsewhere.

Helical.png

High level resources with higher xp rewards

Edit I would like some wild exclusive farming patches for unique herbs or trees to make items for use in invention (if the point of that skill is still to make things to improve existing content)

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Speaking as a skiller... Ways to avoid and escape from combat, or store some of the stuff you managed to gather in case you end up dying? Really, things that would make up for the fact that you've got rocks instead of food in your backpack. Generally, make it worth our time (Without dipping into bullshit "choices" that amount to 'this content or no content')

- Escape tunnels that you can only use if you haven't attacked anyone since entering? Ideally, they'd let out somewhere else in the wilderness: it'd basically be a question of whether you want to take your chances with the guy you just got away from, or with whoever might be camping out at the exit.

- Storage caches you can use to drop off a small amount of the stuff you've gathered? Maybe something like 5 items every half hour? A potential D&D-type thing could be a wandering banker who'd drop your stuff off for a fee (which would, of course, be dependent on what you were depositing). Honestly, that was one of the big problems with wilderness skilling in general: there pretty much weren't rewards.

- Speaking of rewards, warbands with better balance you could probably just liberally sprinkle higher-end resource spots in there, since that's (presumably) what the whole point was and they just haven't kept it up to date since Classic. Perhaps with improved experience or gathering rates?

Since they've said that they want to lower the barrier for entry, another possible D&D-type thing could be to just give players either credit toward, or a shot at winning, a piece of unique gear for every [block of time] that they spend in the wilderness alive, with the chances increasing based on how much you've risked during that time. Maybe power armor if you've fought people and tank armor if you haven't? It's something they could use Mandrith for.

Good ideas? Bad ideas? Go-home-alg-you're-drunk-ideas? assuming we actually do have a say in this and won't just be shouted down on principle, as has been the case since at least 2006

We do have faster-spawning runite rocks in the wilderness, but it's a classic "too little, too late" kind of thing.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It'd be nice if just sometimes when people posted screenshots of rsof threads they could include the darn qfc so we could find the actual thread easily.

For me the override thing with the wildy is although we do need reasons to make people go in there, setting people up as pure cannon fodder is not a good mechanic.As previously suggested there should be ways and means of players who have't pked (or undertaken certain activities e.g. warbands) to move/escape/be a bit safer in the wilderness so that they stand a fighting chance of survival if a host of pkers comes upon them.

Also the issue of storage within the wilderness means imo any training methods in there ought to be more resourceless-based stuff. Like maybe there could be some giant brambles that are like high xp ivy and you can (much like kharazi jungle) make you way into them so that if you a pker comes you aren't immediately in danger and have some scope for escaping if they aren't organised to pin you down.

I also think a sort of bounty mechanic could work well where by killing others increases your bounty and a player with a higher bounty on them will drop extra valuable stuff. But of course it'd need to have some anti-boosting type mechanics on it like say the last 50 unique kills you get are stored and killing them again won't alter your bounty value and the last 20 or so unique kills won't get your bounty if they then kill you. I dunno just something in that ballpark maybe.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue