Evolution of PVP combat!

V O R K

Yes, we need LESS med and low level content.

Remember the Nexus?

You know, the low lvl prayer training thing that came out earlier this year?  How many hours do you have clocked in with that? Playing it? Discussing it? Now, lets look at the ascension dungeon. How long have you been playing with that bit of content? And talking about it?

Ports, too. A lot of high lvl players do it daily.. And talk about it, still!

While the bacon quest, being low level targeted... We played it once, and didn;t talk about it.

You say "end game content sucks, need more low end content!" yet you do the opposite. You talk about, rant about, and whine about vorago but not the low end of the game.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

No because with that amount of time spent there's a more larger, overall view on the game. 

Maxing/Comping is most definetly a goal but it already took me 8 years for one 99, mostly the latter though, i'd nostalgia so much i'd explode. I'm not really tunnelvisioning on those years (04 btw :p) but it'd be nice to see some things discussed about that HAVE indeed been lacking for years (hey we got our dragon items!)

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

You say "end game content sucks, need more low end content!" yet you do the opposite. You talk about, rant about, and whine about vorago but not the low end of the game.

:wall: I came here to agree with Q, but point out that it feels like they're ruining a good idea by bringing it to an extreme, but this... You've somehow managed to get literally everything wrong.

I am ranting about the low end of the game. That's literally all I've been doing for the last year or so. My entire stance is based on the fact that the game sucks before you max, when it doesn't have to. If I'm ranting about endgame bosses, it's because they're releasing those instead of looking at the sort of issues that would make it so unappealing for new players (In addition to the whole "lack of balance" thing). How much clearer do I have to be?

:wall: I came here to agree with Q, but point out that it feels like they're ruining a good idea by bringing it to an extreme, but this... You've somehow managed to get literally everything wrong.

I am ranting about the low end of the game. That's literally all I've been doing for the last year or so. My entire stance is based on the fact that the game sucks before you max, when it doesn't have to. If I'm ranting about endgame bosses, it's because they're releasing those instead of looking at the sort of issues that would make it so unappealing for new players (In addition to the whole "lack of balance" thing). How much clearer do I have to be?

You could clarify what low levels need.

Besides reworks to entire skills/minigames (which are discussed pretty frequently on the HLF) and a new tutorial (also discussed a lot), I can't really think of any low level content that we need. All of the low level tiers are filled out, it's very easy to make enough money to support your buyable skills until you get into the 90s, xp rates are sufficiently fast, there are hundreds of low level quests.

Besides reworks to entire skills/minigames (which are discussed pretty frequently on the HLF) and a new tutorial (also discussed a lot), I can't really think of any low level content that we need. All of the low level tiers are filled out, it's very easy to make enough money to support your buyable skills until you get into the 90s, xp rates are sufficiently fast, there are hundreds of low level quests.

You're right in theory, but based on my experience that's not the case: http://forum.tip.it/topic/318853-observations-from-a-noob/?do=findComment&comment=5398214 (don't bump)

I wrote that back in April so things could be different by now though (shrug)

77yLQy8.png

You're right in theory, but based on my experience that's not the case: http://forum.tip.it/topic/318853-observations-from-a-noob/?do=findComment&comment=5398214 (don't bump)

I think that's basically still true. The game is increasingly becoming polarizing, and the community is more and more a collection of veterans more than anything else. F2P has suffered a very drastic decline, as have the number of new players. So yes, I can see why it might be a ghost town for lower level players. That's certainly bad for the sustainability of the game and the community if the low level scene isn't vibrant. Being alone as a low level is even worse than being an alone high level. A lot of the game is deserted and previously fun things to do are deserted because of the efficiency craze, but at least, once you're a high level you know what to do, and you have your own routine and stuff, but for a low level it's much worse, particularly considering RS is such a HUGE game, and there's so much content -- having to start all of this alone  must be rather overwhelming.

I think that's basically still true. The game is increasingly becoming polarizing, and the community is more and more a collection of veterans more than anything else. F2P has suffered a very drastic decline, as have the number of new players. So yes, I can see why it might be a ghost town for lower level players. That's certainly bad for the sustainability of the game and the community if the low level scene isn't vibrant. Being alone as a low level is even worse than being an alone high level. A lot of the game is deserted and previously fun things to do are deserted because of the efficiency craze, but at least, once you're a high level you know what to do, and you have your own routine and stuff, but for a low level it's much worse, particularly considering RS is such a HUGE game, and there's so much content -- having to start all of this alone  must be rather overwhelming.

I think the toxicity that exists within the community is a bigger reason for the decline than the updates. From the beginning of the game 13 years ago, the community has always been particularly nasty. People are extremely selfish, self-absorbed and generally hateful, and to many people "friends" are just a means to an end to be used however is most beneficial. Elitism is everywhere, and finding people who will answer honest questions about the game without mocking someone's inexperience are relatively rare.

New players come in and see an overwhelming game, yes, but then they meet scores of players who not only are unhelpful but are actually belligerent to newcomers because they don't know what they're doing. Then they get taken advantage of by one of the thousands of scammers lurking out there and decide this game sucks.

• Like 3

4NIrZ.png

I think the toxicity that exists within the community is a bigger reason for the decline than the updates. From the beginning of the game 13 years ago, the community has always been particularly nasty. People are extremely selfish, self-absorbed and generally hateful, and to many people "friends" are just a means to an end to be used however is most beneficial. Elitism is everywhere, and finding people who will answer honest questions about the game without mocking someone's inexperience are relatively rare.

New players come in and see an overwhelming game, yes, but then they meet scores of players who not only are unhelpful but are actually belligerent to newcomers because they don't know what they're doing. Then they get taken advantage of by one of the thousands of scammers lurking out there and decide this game sucks.

But that's been always true of the game and its community. Elitism, scammers, unhelpful condescension has always abundantly present. It doesn't explain why the rate of players has now started declining so rapidly. The explanation must lie elsewhere.

But that's been always true of the game and its community. Elitism, scammers, unhelpful condescension has always abundantly present. It doesn't explain why the rate of players has now started declining so rapidly. The explanation must lie elsewhere.

A lot of MMO's are losing players recently. MMO's are no longer the BIG THING in online gaming with MOBAs and such often gaining more players. A decline in MMO players may have made it so that the game thinned out to the point where lower level players aren't running into eachother as much anymore. I'm not saying the problem isn't also something wrong with runescape but we might be mistaking a macro level problem for a micro level one.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

A lot of MMO's are losing players recently. MMO's are no longer the BIG THING in online gaming with MOBAs and such often gaining more players. A decline in MMO players may have made it so that the game thinned out to the point where lower level players aren't running into eachother as much anymore. I'm not saying the problem isn't also something wrong with runescape but we might be mistaking a macro level problem for a micro level one.

I think more and more people are seeing MMO's for what they really are-- traps to suck you in and get you into the habit of paying and playing for countless hours. Let's face it-- life is more fast-paced than it was ten years ago because of smartphones and endless connectivity. People are BOMBARDED by stimuli on a constant basis now, and the result is both less free time to absorb any one thing and less attention willpower to stay occupied with it. Hell, how many people do you know who buy a new game and then lose interest midway through? Do you really think people have the attention span or the free time to sit there for 3000 hours grinding away in an MMO? I don't.

I do believe this is a macro problem. I recently came from a game called Dungeons and Dragons Online. When I started in 2011, the community was small as it was a niche game but there were groups for raiding and questing and whatnot pretty much throughout the day. Two years later, it's the complete opposite. Only during EST primetime are you likely to find any groups for anything. The rest of the time, it's completely dead. This is partially the result of poor developer decisions regarding updates (there is no endgame in that game anymore, so a large number of players quit because they were bored; the only real option was to "reincarnate" your character, which worked similarly to the prestige things Jagex suggested as it gave marginal benefits to you but doubled the exp needed to max again), but it also has to do with people just outgrowing MMOs.

4NIrZ.png

On a separate note, one thing I really wish they would revamp is the death penalty. This system is antiquated and I don't think anybody really cares for it anymore. The way things are designed now, the only time you will ever lose something is when the circumstances are outside of your control-- such as a complete loss of connectivity or a server-wide outage -- in which case it is extremely unfair to lose what can amount to more than six months of work. Some clan mates and I were talking about this and we agreed the best solution is to make every item (sans jewelry) degrade and eventually need repairs. Obviously, repair costs for T60 and below would be tiny.

On death, everything equipped would degrade by 15% but if you were wearing items that degrade to dust, they would not degrade at all. Think of it as an added incentive for using items that eventually degrade to nothingness through wear and tear. Gravestones would not exist anymore, and you would not drop anything when you died provided you were not in the Wilderness. The death rules in the Wild would remain the same.Item protection prayers and signs/portents would be changed to instead reduce the amount your items degrade upon death. The item protection prayer and portent/sign would each reduce the amount by 5%, such that if you combined both your equipped items would only lose 5% durability on death.

The reason for these changes is that with the way the game is going, death in PVM is already enough of a penalty as it is without throwing in "OOPS, you just lost items worth several hundred mil, sorry about your luck!" Every end-game boss now is being designed with a lockout mechanism. If you die at Vorago, you're out for the remainder of that kill. At Barrows, you lose your Totem and either have to go earn or buy another one. At Legiones, you have to use another signet to get in. And there is also the time wasted re-gearing and running back to where-ever it was you were PvMing. And as everybody drills into each other's heads, time is efficiency in this game.

• Like 4

4NIrZ.png

I'll go for that, anything but the gravestone system, please...

Why bother teleing, just die and get your stuff back. *sigh* Death is a joke now.

Death is a joke because getting items is a joke. Like I said back in the day, items were fairly affordable (think about barrows and whips in 2006), and most people for bosses welfared them. I can remember going to Armadyl in Black Dragon hide, Glories and Rune crossbows. Upon death, I'd lose maybe a few hundred thousand in supplies which was a lot back then. But that was about it. And in those days, you would only have a few expensive items (so maybe your 4 item barrows set, and a whip. So you could easily substitute a much cheaper D scimmy for the whip, and hope to protect item all 4 pieces of your precious barrows set).

Now that everything costs hundreds of millions, and all the top bosses require that you have top level gear (dual t90 or t80 + t80 armour), on death you would easily lose 100-150M each time. Given that most of the top bosses have very high KO hits and KO potential, it's unreasonable to expect people to fork over that much cash for dying each time. People would either start welfaring again (and probably get tired of that due to inefficiency) or they would simply stop doing PVM en masse. That's the reason gravestones were kept even after free trade was brought back -- make no mistake about it.

Is it time for a new death system? Probably. But it's not like gravestones were some thoughtless system -- they definitely had a real purpose and design behind them.

Hm... I saw the mummy pictures on site and they aren't very pleasing. Then again i was never a big mummy fan. We are supposed to get another set so I'm curious how that one turned out.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50URlB6aiU

RuneScape RuneFest PvP Insider Session

Does tutorial island, instantly duels someone, ahahaha :D

Buys p2p right away to have access to dueling.

Does tutorial island. (release date 24 sept 2002)

Duels someone and puts up all items.

Timetravels a year back so there is pvp everywhere. (Removal of pvp everywhere 13 August 2001)

Proceeds to protect skillers who have opted out of pvp.

All of my wat.

I'll go for that, anything but the gravestone system, please...

Why bother teleing, just die and get your stuff back. *sigh* Death is a joke now.

Death is a joke because getting items is a joke. Like I said back in the day, items were fairly affordable (think about barrows and whips in 2006), and most people for bosses welfared them. I can remember going to Armadyl in Black Dragon hide, Glories and Rune crossbows. Upon death, I'd lose maybe a few hundred thousand in supplies which was a lot back then. But that was about it. And in those days, you would only have a few expensive items (so maybe your 4 item barrows set, and a whip. So you could easily substitute a much cheaper D scimmy for the whip, and hope to protect item all 4 pieces of your precious barrows set).

Now that everything costs hundreds of millions, and all the top bosses require that you have top level gear (dual t90 or t80 + t80 armour), on death you would easily lose 100-150M each time. Given that most of the top bosses have very high KO hits and KO potential, it's unreasonable to expect people to fork over that much cash for dying each time. People would either start welfaring again (and probably get tired of that due to inefficiency) or they would simply stop doing PVM en masse. That's the reason gravestones were kept even after free trade was brought back -- make no mistake about it.

Is it time for a new death system? Probably. But it's not like gravestones were some thoughtless system -- they definitely had a real purpose and design behind them.

Death greatly impacts your effiiency at killing a boss because of the time wasted regearing and running back. That is enough of a penalty.

As I said, I wish they would make it where you no longer lose items on death outside the Wildy, and make all items degrade over time in combat. Reduce the % it loses on death from 20 to, say, 10% and change the protect item prayers to instead further reduce the amount your items degrade.

• Like 2

4NIrZ.png

Thank you for the upload.

i'm happy to see a few issues got adressed on the Runefest video; my only issue with the single/multiway toggle at the moment:

You are forced in either one but whereas before the whole wilderness was your play-yard and when you got to know the Multiway areas it was very interesting/tactical luring a team from singleway to your team multiway, eg. castle->bandits, MB, Greater demon ruins, ... now that is not possible anymore because you choose beforehand. I think Warbands is a great concept to tackle this yet it's simply not possible with the PvM-mindset. Someone in your PK team can't tank all the hits and "Voke" and heal the rest of your attackers (unless someone is willing to risk seasinger, a shield and a wand to make players want to attack this person). The sheer mass of warbands with FC's/clans and skillers alike that want to reap the rewards it's simply not viable to risk there. 

It definetly does split the community, i'm a singleway PKer, I always have been but I wasn't afraid of a few multiway battles when I was in a certain area/time came around. It's much nicer to fight a team singleway then having to block against three different styles and you can only attack one person. I can't switch from multiway by running to another area anymore! Please let Mod Pi rework his ideas.

We are indeed getting ganged with no option to fight the team yourself.

I adressed armour issues along with numerous players on page 14 and onwards and I think the main reason there are many 1 itemers now is because there are no viable alternatives to using offhands or shields other then GWD gear.

Can the Zamorak book become a hybrid T7 offhand with critical bonuses in all styles?
Can the Guthix book become a hybrid T7 shield?
Can the Saradomin book become an offhand with a hefty prayer bonus?

It's not exactly easy gathering the pages for each book and these were used by a lot of players, not just pures. I firmly agree that wilderness is PVP endgame.

However there should be a multitude of options of what to take and whilst I don't agree on introducing new players to the wilderness through a safe method updating these books does give an alternative to people who just want to set foot in the wilderness with their good weapon (which is protected but can be Smited) and a cheap offhand. Pkers will prefer the better-tiered weaponry and know they're at an advantage but these are the people that are already at peace with what they risk. The new divination skill has a small PVP potential; why not make the signet of protection work in the wilderness?

I like how you adressed different styles of combat, tank/berserker but i'll say it again with the ability delay a lot of "hybrid" has died down... shamefully.

I started out as a F2P player and I spent a lot of time in the Hobgoblin mine, mining, superheating, running to the anvils. Your idea of implementing bonus exp on the wilderness anvils is a good one. I'm happy that you have a document full of ideas :). Like the comment on 35:00 with collecting one single chaos rune; simple, outdated yet it was a good idea at the time.  Make the wilderness worthwhile again!

Fist of Guthix is indeed a good example (32:00) i'm entirely sure this can be revived again and i'm eagerly waiting on the updates for the minigame-reworks along with their rewards.

I'm not entirely against Portents/Phoenix necklaces since I equip a phoenix necklace now to avoid dying when I switch from Range->Mage or vice versa and since you are then a target to stuns and can't use any abilities it's a 'safe' solution to switching weaponry/armour (which shouldn't be neccesary!). Perhaps we should conduct a new code of honour for PVP when it comes to issues like these but we need a community of PKers for that first ;). 

38:40 revive BH and make the portals with Tier-restrictions/scaling. T6-T7 and T8-T9. Please do think about it. One way or another i'll revive Duel Tournaments :).

Also the strict adjusting of the combat triangle made it so that if I wear full seasinger and a chaotic staff someone in full karil and perhaps gano boots/gloves/visor with a staff of light will in the end win. Perhaps accuracy issues aswell should be adressed. If you want to see roles in PVP Wilderness alike PVM perhaps Lunar Magics should be reworked:

Make it work on people that are in your FC and that are in radius. Before when I encountered a team i'd be sure to take the meleer out since he was the one doing the most damage. Now if I encounter a team i'd be sure to take out the "healer" since he's constantly reviving everyone! (Heal role)

Add a provoke/incite-like ability for shields: When you do this ability all damage output/used abilities at that moment/next abilty that will be used in a 3x3, 6x6, ... radius will be redirected to you at halfed damage. (tank role)

Hopefully see you next year, i'm good with EOC and just want to see it evolve. Please don't mind all the players that are hating on it.

✿ ♥‿♥)

I don't like how they tip toe around protecting the EoC. Bottom line is EoC Pking is not fun. The old system I found had more variety. This system its either fight your own class or find an idiot going on the wrong side of the triangle. Stun and spam abilities. Its very boring and mind numbing.

• Like 2

1 Itemers don't 1 item because of a lack of a decent off hand /facepalm

Updating these books can make use of the current situation.

God lore, Emissaries, BOL, Warbands have certainly defined RS3 and have increased interest in allignment to different Gods. I know i'd like to show my allegiance to a god through PVP. This can be done with these books and I think a lot can benefit from it:

-The PKers that are looking for fame can get this through a hiscore for x amount of people killed "showing allegiance to ...".

-^ that want a risk/reward from these could get a 100-200k drop and when a player dies with a book a page gets torn from it and vanishes whilst lowering the stats of the book.

-Newer players trying out different setups untill they find what they like (all-class book with critical bonuses so you can dual wield or you can play defensive)

This tackles the issues of getting new blood into the wilderness aswell as creating diversity in your fight style/promoting trying out different styles. It's just a fun concept, higher levels already have chaotics which can be gathered fast once you get things going. To guide new players into the wilderness this could be one of many options to spice things up again under this new system without much variety (yet!). 

✿ ♥‿♥)

I reallllly don't think treasure trail rewards should ever be part of the serious gear loadouts

it was back then, and that was just balls, considering how much it robbed the actual game of having a chance at equipment that people are actually acquiring through real effort

8f14270694.jpg

I reallllly don't think treasure trail rewards should ever be part of the serious gear loadouts

But god-themed armor and overrides could add a layer of something to a PvP minigame or event, if not to the real wilderness.

Hell, the world events would be perfect for that sort of thing, and they don't even have to be (fully - maybe you lose your shards?) dangerous.