Evolution of PVP combat!

V O R K

I don't think adding skillers to the wilderness is the answer in the slightest.

Historic polls and response to content has shown that people generally dislike having non-pvp content in the pvp areas.

Plus trying to draw them in does not result in a good pvp community. It results in douchebags purposefully hunting unarmed people with no interest in pvp but immediately run away from any proper pkers, who wouldn't go after unarmed skillers as they want a proper fight and decent rewards from it.

Simply putting unequipped, inexperienced players who do not want to pvp in the way of pvp as bait is just not the answer; it fails to make true challenging interesting pvp and only serves to purposefully annoy a large subset of players as the express purpose of the content is to lure them in to dying for kicks of pkers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What I ment by a tool is not one of the main revamps. Actual pvp is boring. Killing defenceless skillers are not pvp. More like monsters that run away.

However pkers killing pkers that PK defenceless skillers, IS pvp.

Also nice that someone remembers the rushing, it's been quite some time ago.

What I ment by a tool is not one of the main revamps. Actual pvp is boring. Killing defenceless skillers are not pvp. More like monsters that run away.

However pkers killing pkers that PK defenceless skillers, IS pvp.

Also nice that someone remembers the rushing, it's been quite some time ago.

Its still praying on the weak, which is not a strong foundation. PVP against a superior or same level person must be of value for a larger community rather than the odd scout.

You're comparing it to PVP before wilderness removed - a community that had years to grow and evolve to what it was. A community that knew there were other pkers out there that they could test themselves against and potentially make profit if they were crafty and skilled enough. In the early months, there needs to be a reason for PvP both at multiple levels, not just large groups. Or else like Fallstar predicted, it's doomed to fail due to safe organizations.

Enticing the defenseless or unskilled to go into the wilderness is as important a part of regrowing the PvP community as is big activities like Warbands. There will always be a dominate group, but there has to be plenty of room for smaller groups to thrive. In the past, those dominate groups were clans. Now, it's friend's chats. Loosely organized but large volume enough to overcome that in most cases. They're the top of the pyramid. We need those tinier reasons to get individuals and small groups in there or again, like Fallstar said, it won't work.

So yes, helpless skillers are a weak form of pvp, but it's a few bricks in a strong foundation for bringing pvp back. The hard part is thinking of things that fit that bill, for Jagex. Even so, don't disdain their efforts. They've got a seemingly insurmountable task, regardless if it was brought about by their own actions, and muley mindsets like yours to overcome in order to bring people back into the wilderness.

Sidenote:[hide]

Warbands was an underappreciated stroke of genius that shockingly took into account the current state of the game. Like Fallstar pointed out, friends chats and crafty web developers made this D&D work like clockwork in relative safety. But more and more groups are coming out of the woodwork to attack people at warbands because people are going on sites like reddit and saying "look at how much money I made pking". They're not making as much money though, and hopefully Jagex now learns that they can't expect a tradable item to retain it's value enough to be an enticing bit of bait for pkers, but that's beside the point. People are getting interested. The exp reward from these activities ensures at least that there will constantly be people in the wilderness every 6 hours to loot camps. They purposely picked skills with high costs or tedious training times to ensure the content's popularity. They purposely made it group oriented. And then, even though it made it harder for users, made competition slightly more fierce by synching world times etc. It was just brilliant. There just needs to be MORE things like it.[/hide]

E: lots of changes to structure of the post, sorry

• Like 4

hzvjpwS.gif

• 2 months later...

ouqvli.jpg

How to improve PvP - Minigames ? - Pi

vy39li.jpg

Solo/Multiway areas coming back - Pi

nbbqt1.jpg

Involving hybrid minigame armours having reduced instead of higher damage.

23m06rt.jpg

They're not finished with devotion yet... :P

2rnee4x.jpg

Cruelty scrimshaw is now on par with elements damage-wise.

I don't have much to add to minigames since I enjoy most already. Am I greedy though:

Pest control:
Rework portals/monsters so they have more HP.
Make surge work inside the minigame.
Rework Void, why did it get ragenerfed?
Rework the deflector to level 70 or make it tier-scale. You can exchange void top for a piece of PoP + the deflector you could actually tank in void. 
Make void knight mace level 70 wand or make it tier-scale.
DMG boost equal or higher than bandos set.

High level herb, seed & mineral packs.
An option for starting instagames if you can't find enough people.

Add rewards with additional commendations (Most kills, most damage done to portal, ...)

Defenders from guild!

Fighter torso/Fighter helm from Barbarian assault. This should be a good item to use in PvP... Anywhere.

I like how in RS3 there are certain classes starting to emerge. Why not go further in that and give the hats specific class-uses.

Healer hat: Adds x percentage to use Heal/Lunar spells (or decreased cost). A tank at any boss with this hat is certainly a bonus. Increased rate of health regeneration (normal & regenerate). Decreased time of sacrifice. Lost upon death.

Runner hat: Decreased spawntime of surge abilities, run energy goes down slower, invisible agility boost. Lost upon death.

Ranger hat: Accuracy bonus. Lost upon death.

Rework prayerbonus or make the set in general more worthwhile: "By wearing the Fighter torso, Penance gloves, Penance skirt, any Penance hat and Penance boots they restore prayer over time at a rate of 30 points per minute."

^Nothing a prayer renewal can't beat...

FoG:

Is an awesome minigame and I really don't have much to add to it... I don't know why it died but like most things did it's because of lack of reward. Essentially these items got destroyed due to the tiersystem. Also with EoC the amount of runes used doesn't warrant the use of Combat & Battle robes over a DPS boost from Void, subjugation, Virtus/Malevolent or even Seasinger/Ganodermic for defence boost. Level 75-80 hybrid set(*) maybe?

More slayer gloves :)?

Remove the cap on amount of money wagered in Rat Pits. >:')

Mage arena:
Make godbooks, god spells & staves relevant again. Add wands. Tier-scaling to level 70.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Healer hat: Adds x percentage to use Heal/Lunar spells (or decreased cost). A tank at any boss with this hat is certainly a bonus. Increased rate of health regeneration (normal & regenerate). Decreased time of sacrifice. Lost upon death.

Runner hat: Decreased spawntime of surge abilities, run energy goes down slower, invisible agility boost. Lost upon death.

Make godbooks, god spells & staves relevant again. Add wands. Tier-scaling to level 70.

It's beautiful ;-;
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I think trying to do to much to soon for minigames is liable to be a disaster.

I think they need to address the rewards first in order to draw people back into playing them, then use the increased traffic to really get a feel of what is or is not working within the game itself.

Or they need to focus on one game at a time and not just try and do them all at once.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

All they have to do is add brawlers to pvp drops, with the chance of getting brawlers increased by your opponent's risk, and only above say, 20 wild.  

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Put the ancient warrior sets/Brawler gloves on "rare" and chaos elemental will be hunted much more. A tip it member said a friend of his had 1k confirmed kills without a piece and i'm going 467 without a piece so far. (have gotten several from revenants). & Yeah I can't deny the agility brawler gloves... Been smacking myself into the head for dropping em all.

That issue has been adressed though although it seems they want to rework the armour/weapons itself rather then the droprates, some get specials too.

"PvP armor – it’s going to get a rework, it has wrong stats at the moment. It’ll be power armor." . Not sure if it's going to get nerfed or buffed...

✿ ♥‿♥)

• 2 weeks later...

n39f15.jpg

@Mod Daze

Kind of puzzled on portents in PvP situations. Along with adrenaline loss being gone from food it makes them faster to use then regular eating and even in welfare gear you still need to hit 4-5k for a KO which isn't going to happen with portents/pneck combination. I dont know if this food-adrenaline buff was a good step or not but i'm happy were steering away from situations like:

player A and B are fighting eachother, lets say player A started to dominate the fight at early stage due to some luck. Then player B has to eat a lot of rocktails, then player B finds it very difficult to bounce back into the fight due to food draining adrenaline.

the rate at which player A is gaining the adrenaline (with basics and threshold included) is >> the rate at which player B is gaining adrenaline (he has to eat a lot of roctails and cant use many basics)

so its like a deadlock... A can continue to dominate B untill the very end of the fight. Which is not very good from pvp's perpective and feels like hitting a training dummy.

Then again I hope the cooldown timers on abilities are worked out because fights with only tresholds would get boring real fast aswell.

Possible changes:

Poison gets buffed, portents soak/reflect poison damage
Only let them activate after treshold/ultimate (and 40-50)
A portent heals from shield ability: reflect (The user of reflect gets the damage untill the portent runs out)
A cooldown timer OR adrenaline loss when a portent activates. Now that adrenaline loss from eating food is gone this seems a logical consequence for autofood.
^Just thoughts, i'm not really creative with something that just heals.

What's your take on the latest beta updates & have any thoughts about portents: share plis :>!

✿ ♥‿♥)

The fact that you HAVE to hit above current lp-half lp+1860 when opponent is using portents to stop them working is extremely bad PvP mechanics, combined with pneck... Horrible. The fact that at 99 def they now take 25% less damage will make portents even more OP . 5 second CD on portents in PvM, 10 in PvP would be a good fix, or disabling them altogether in PvP.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

How about a global portent cooldown of 30 seconds? Sounds reasonable so once one activates you need to survive on your own wind for it to re-pop.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

A portent cooldown would definitely be reasonable. Had to fight this guy in WE2 who was running tectonic, and had a [bleep]ing yak of portents ... indestructible without piling.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

A portent cooldown would definitely be reasonable. Had to fight this guy in WE2 who was running tectonic, and had a [bleep]ing yak of portents ... indestructible without piling.

Frankly I think portents should have a cooldown regardless of the situation. Portents should be like miniature auras that you activate and wait to trip off. Then you have to wait 30 seconds to use another. They could justify it by saying "divine energy charges through you as you use the portent" and "divine energy still courses through your body."

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

There is actually a pretty large PK group currently, you just need to know the world and the people that take part in it, along with the combos that kill portent/pneck prods (hint: Smash -> assault -> wild magic -> snap shot). There's maybe 5 fc's that are constantly at war with each other in peak hours, and a large number of others just pking alone, just stay out of multi, and know how to cope with all the zerk/meta rushers.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

mayb make a few worlds with oldstyle pvp for the ppl that complain about eoc,, imo eoc req more skill to use abilities, other than the click n sit of the old style and switch prayers around ,

Would be a good limited solution, as it doesn't revive the general game.

Jagex need to understand old combat is what people found fun. That should be the the foundation on reviving the actual fight.

"blah blah, this is new, blah bah #skill"

Newer or older, fun is fun.

mayb make a few worlds with oldstyle pvp for the ppl that complain about eoc,, imo eoc req more skill to use abilities, other than the click n sit of the old style and switch prayers around ,

Jagex need to understand old combat is what people found fun. That should be the the foundation on reviving the actual fight.

I mean, if their intention was to balance out the combat triangle, they could easily have done that without having to make EoC.

Then if they wanted bosses that required strategy, they didn't really need to make everything ability-based, as evidenced by quest bosses such as Pest Queen/Sigmund, could just have had certain special items require usage at a strategic time (in KK's case, have a shield which you can right click to activate an equivalent of Provoke, etc.)

I mean, if their intention was to balance out the combat triangle, they could easily have done that without having to make EoC.

Then if they wanted bosses that required strategy, they didn't really need to make everything ability-based, as evidenced by quest bosses such as Pest Queen/Sigmund, could just have had certain special items require usage at a strategic time (in KK's case, have a shield which you can right click to activate an equivalent of Provoke, etc.)

Their imagination and egos limited them. Such a shame really.