Death System Rework

Saradomin_Mage

No offense but I can't see a player going "YOLO just bought 3rd age going bossing!" I know RuneScape players aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars, but I hope we're not that renowned for lack of intelligence either!

We're talking about Runescape playes...not people on collegeconfidential.com lol.

Also, I think this is better than gravestones simply because now I'm actually trying not to die. Before, sometimes I would let myself die out of convenience, like when at waterfiends (yes, I'm a noob, I still die at waterfiends). I could die, respawn (and heal) at Yanille, and go back to Ancient Caverns fully prepared. Saves me a bit of time banking. 

I just feel like dying has become...obsolete, without any penalties. Granted, this may not be the perfect solution, but I think it's better than the no-loss-except-for-disconnects situation currently.

Thinking about this further I think there would only be 1 fair way to implement this proposed system.

And that would be basing the cost off a calculation of total bank worth minus the value of items within the death system.

This value could then dictate the charge made.

Because this way uber riches with banks worth like 3-10 or more times the value of the gear they are risking can safely be slapped with large death bills, whilst the poor folks who might have like 99.999999....% of their wealth in that one set of gear they slaved for to try out some pvm can't be hit with massive charges they can never hope to pay.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I would prefer if this new could system could be toggled between this new mechanic and the regular gravestones. Obviously, if one chooses the gravestone method they forfeit any right to complain about lost items when they DC or the server DCs. That would seem to be a fair system to me.

I wonder if Void will be nerfed soon.

Bubb_Rubb.png

Because this way uber riches with banks worth like 3-10 or more times the value of the gear they are risking can safely be slapped with large death bills, whilst the poor folks who might have like 99.999999....% of their wealth in that one set of gear they slaved for to try out some pvm can't be hit with massive charges they can never hope to pay.

Honestly, the nonexistent scaling they proposed is kind of a joke in itself. 200m GE in gear has a ~1m penalty? That's hardly even an inconvenience for someone of my means, let alone an endgame player. It's such a good value that I'd actually be worried about having cheated them. Meanwhile, someone wearing a tenth of that pays... 300k. So we have a gold sink that basically does nothing to players with money and costs a fairly disproportionate amount for lower levels... Yeah, that seems entirely reasonable and not at all counterproductive. And these are the examples they picked to show us that they knew what they were doing :v

I remember the time when dying meant that probably someone else picked up your stuff, except if you were really quick, ofc there was no PvM except for KQ & KBD around then. What they should do is make a short timer (not as long as gravestones), so you won't get penalized by getting killed in an easy access area, and do something like that for PvM as well, then I see nothing wrong with this idea.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Honestly, the nonexistent scaling they proposed is kind of a joke in itself. 200m GE in gear has a ~1m penalty? That's hardly even an inconvenience for someone of my means, let alone an endgame player. It's such a good value that I'd actually be worried about having cheated them. Meanwhile, someone wearing a tenth of that pays... 300k. So we have a gold sink that basically does nothing to players with money and costs a fairly disproportionate amount for lower levels... Yeah, that seems entirely reasonable and not at all counterproductive. And these are the examples they picked to show us that they knew what they were doing :v
That's what I was thinking too. Except ironically the largest complainers ARE those who should have a ton of money and who already have expensive armors ("jagex, ur killing pvm! Why have so expensive repairs! Now I don't want to bring my expensive armor because I have to pay <1% of GE value to get it back if I die").

From what I have seen, someone with a gwd set will require a payment of 500-600k which is...rather inconvenient. I'm not sure why Jagex didn't release prices for gwd armor as a good portion of people use that as their primary armor. In other words, 100m-->1m return fee and 15m-->500-600k return fee. I don't know if that is fair, but it seems like people are complaining about return fees for end game (or what I would consider end game) without even considering the return fees for lower level armors like barrows and gwd.

Thinking about this further I think there would only be 1 fair way to implement this proposed system.

And that would be basing the cost off a calculation of total bank worth minus the value of items within the death system.

So you want mule accounts to be a thing again?

• Like 1
You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Also how will it work for ironman, which cannot use the GE. It would be a bit strange to use GE prices for ironman wouldn't it?

You need something to pick as a baseline though. Do you really want a JMod going through manually and assigning values to stuff for ironman :P? (Ooh let's make a left dragon shield half worth 300M because it's super super rare!)

I'd be interested to hear what people would prefer though.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Basically the best thing is put fixed values for the items. Having it based on GE would be horrid as then it could potentially be abused. It might also help stabilize the prices of the items itself.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Dude

you know how long RS has been focusing on PvM and skrewing the rest over?

People made billions upon billions several times over with their rago tea party.

I have three :shrug:

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Also how will it work for ironman, which cannot use the GE. It would be a bit strange to use GE prices for ironman wouldn't it?

You need something to pick as a baseline though. Do you really want a JMod going through manually and assigning values to stuff for ironman :P? (Ooh let's make a left dragon shield half worth 300M because it's super super rare!)

True, but I don't think a GE baseline would be good for ironman, as some things are difficult to get on ironman while they are easily buyable on normal accounts trough GE, GE price also depends on when it was released. I am not suggesting to make it easier for ironman, just more logical :P

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

That's what I was thinking too. Except ironically the largest complainers ARE those who should have a ton of money and who already have expensive armors ("jagex, ur killing pvm! Why have so expensive repairs! Now I don't want to bring my expensive armor because I have to pay <1% of GE value to get it back if I die").

From what I have seen, someone with a gwd set will require a payment of 500-600k which is...rather inconvenient. I'm not sure why Jagex didn't release prices for gwd armor as a good portion of people use that as their primary armor. In other words, 100m-->1m return fee and 15m-->500-600k return fee. I don't know if that is fair, but it seems like people are complaining about return fees for end game (or what I would consider end game) without even considering the return fees for lower level armors like barrows and gwd.

Probably because it's just a really bad system no matter how rich you are, and doesn't really solve the problems they designed it around. And even within the players you consider endgame, there is a lot of variation~

True, but I don't think a GE baseline would be good for ironman, as some things are difficult to get on ironman while they are easily buyable on normal accounts trough GE, GE price also depends on when it was released. I am not suggesting to make it easier for ironman, just more logical :P

I suppose the problem is that sometimes Jagex and logic don't mix so well :XD:.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

No offense but I can't see a player going "YOLO just bought 3rd age going bossing!" I know RuneScape players aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars, but I hope we're not that renowned for lack of intelligence either!

Regrettable, I have lost 2 sets of 3rd age range armor (with accessories) right after I bought them . . . 

Dude

you know how long RS has been focusing on PvM and skrewing the rest over?

People made billions upon billions several times over with their rago tea party.

I have three :shrug:

Tbh I don't really care one bit if people make mules.

If they wanna waste time faffing around to distribute wealth to avoid death taxes let em.

What I care about is poorer players who entire wealth is poured into 1 set of gear being absolutely screwed over by a death tax that would charge them more to get their gear back than they could hope to gather in the 3 days.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

How are signs of respite not useless?

If they are more expensive than the saved value, no one will use them. If they are cheaper, no one will buy them.

Jagex might as well just convert every in game sign to coins and then remove them.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I'm curious what they're going to do about the dozens/hundreds of people who die on the first day a new quest is released  with a somewhat difficult boss.  I can remember dying a few times during the branches of darkmeyer and TWW, and having to go through all of this multiple times when everyone is still learning the one or two mechanics needed would be awful.

• Like 1

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I personally think being able to reclaim all the items quickly is a bad thing.

I'm not denying that people CAN die through lags, but most of the times I died and I'm sure most people die, it's through their own stupidity.

Nobody deserves to be awarded for stupidity.

If you lose your items not due to lag it's your own darn fault.

The only problem with that logic is that there is another place to find fault: a continually flawed combat system which Jagex continues to break. If I click away from combat and their shoddy system makes me fire off an ability and run back toward the monster instead of making a safe escape, that's not really my fault. If I tell my action bar to use Rejuvenate but it insists on firing off two more basic abilities in the meantime instead, perhaps leaving my health vulnerable in a bossing situation even with a piece of food, that's again a fault of the combat system.

It's like the system is a bone, and Jagex keeps ripping it out of its cast a week early to re-set the bone instead of letting it heal properly.

Also I don't know which particular world you've been playing on but recently a lot of people have been having server issues. My friend experienced lagging out 7 times while trying to finish his cap at the citadel yesterday, for example.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

The only problem with that logic is that there is another place to find fault: a continually flawed combat system which Jagex continues to break. If I click away from combat and their shoddy system makes me fire off an ability and run back toward the monster instead of making a safe escape, that's not really my fault. If I tell my action bar to use Rejuvenate but it insists on firing off two more basic abilities in the meantime instead, perhaps leaving my health vulnerable in a bossing situation even with a piece of food, that's again a fault of the combat system.

There are solutions to that.

First off, you can turn off auto retaliate, which is what I always do.

Secondly, the abilities won't be automatic if you turn off revolution mode.

^Turning off auto retaliate doesn't help if you have already attacked the NPC.

Turning off the feature you are using because it is broken is not a solution to the problem.

• Like 2

Retired item crew

^Turning off auto retaliate doesn't help if you have already attacked the NPC.

Turning off the feature you are using because it is broken is not a solution to the problem.

Alright, you got me there. If someone is walking way from a monster there is no good reason for the character to automatically go back to said monster and attack.

That is indeed a broken system, which needs to be changed.

However, I don't think that rewarding people for dying really fixes that. I'm not saying that everyone dies through their own stupidity, but those who do don't deserve to get all their items back. Because that way they will learn their lesson.