"Get A Life"

Giordano

Have you ever been told by someone or told someone to "Get a life?"

Well, think about that. What is having a life for you? People are saying "get a life" because some guy spends a little too much time playing Runescape (or any other game for that matter). If having a life means hanging out with friends, drawing, playing sports, is'nt that the same of playing a game, only differently?

Lets say you play a sport a lot and hang out with friends, people can easily say "Get a life" because you're doing that a lot. Then you play games and then they say "Get a life" and vice versa.

So what I'm saying, "Get A Life" doesn't make sence, "Be more Social" that's better. Or "You're playing this game too much" is another.

If you wanna flame me, do so, but in a orderly manner.

"omg, g3t a life u n30b!!" isn't a orderly manner.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Yeah, people have diffrent views, some people like there life sitting on a computer some people like playing sports its only a matter of how you look at it, not other people.

cyco_1.jpg

I don't know.. the world is developing. It used to be that everything was physical (there were no computers, lol). So anyone that spent all their time on a comp didn't do anything physical and, in their eyes, had no life because they weren't like all the other lives.

But now... computers are becoming more and more popular and more ppl's lives and jobs revolve around them that computers are becoming "a life". The games though, are still just games, but they're becoming more popular, too, so, that phrase may pretty much go away, too, eh?

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

People that say, "Get a life" are pretty immature. (Reminds me of my Junior high days) It is their way in saying, "Leave the computer for a while and enjoy the weather." Basically those that say that are wrong in the way they are trying to say something to a person who spends too much time at the computer. People who play sports and hang out do have a life that is why they dont bash on them for this reason. So whenever you hear this line, go do something if you have been doing something for a little too much time. Jagex even said to go outside every time you play. :lol: . Well I hope that helped and have the best of luck!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I think everyone knows what the saying implies, it just sounds harsh. What really bugs me is whenever someone does/builds/makes something amazing that people wouldn't think to do that took a long time to do, and people react with the "Jeeze, that guy's got too much time on his hands," just dismissing it as something stupid. Obviously they chose to do it because they wanted to accomplish or figure out something.

There is one basic rule of psychology that I know is true in this game:

In every players mind if someone is a higher level then you (combat or any skill) they have absolutely no life.

If someone is a lower lvl (again, combat or any skill) then they are weak and couldn't beat up a fly, and you can easily own them.

And your level is perfect, strong, but not so good that you have no life.

Do not deny that you've done this lol, cause you know you have. 8)

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

My belief is that some high levels are as high as they are because they actually ENJOY the game, and think it is fun. They are the ones that have good lives (most of the time anyways). But, the ones that achieve high levels despite not liking the game and thinking everything is boring in it are the ones that don't have very good lives. It shows that they truly have nothing better to do. If you don't like a game, there is no reason to continute playing it. If pixels are really that important, then you seriously have a void in your life you need to fill.

Now, I'm not saying it's right to use that term 'nolifer' for either, but the latter is certainly a lot closer than the former, and in my opinion, it is why the term exists. However, it still should not be used because you cannot determine which of those someone is just by their huge, time consuming accompishments.

Have you ever been told by someone or told someone to "Get a life?"

Well, think about that. What is having a life for you? People are saying "get a life" because some guy spends a little too much time playing Runescape (or any other game for that matter). If having a life means hanging out with friends, drawing, playing sports, is'nt that the same of playing a game, only differently?

Lets say you play a sport a lot and hang out with friends, people can easily say "Get a life" because you're doing that a lot. Then you play games and then they say "Get a life" and vice versa.

So what I'm saying, "Get A Life" doesn't make sence, "Be more Social" that's better. Or "You're playing this game too much" is another.

If you wanna flame me, do so, but in a orderly manner.

"omg, g3t a life u n30b!!" isn't a orderly manner.

*switching to smart*** mode

No offense, but this is a HORRIBLE argument. Most people agree that "getting a life" is about going outside, experiencing the world, and all that good stuff. Sitting at a computer monotonously clicking the same thing over and over (ie, alching 10k magic longs...) shows no signs of "life", because it basically requires no interaction with humans or exercise, and will definitely in no way help you in the future.

This seems more like a loophole around one's own personal belief that they play a little too much, though I may be wrong.

-*back to dumb*** mode

I think when they say "get a life" they may mean "do something better with your time"

Well there isn't anything much better you can do with your time. just like kids building tree forts 30 years ago as that may help them get a job as a carpenter, Runescape helps you develope skills for computer jobs I bet everyone of you own your parents in picture editing and beginning HTML. I didn't know how to take a screenshot until i started playing runescape.

I think when they say "get a life" they may mean "do something better with your time"

Well there isn't anything much better you can do with your time. just like kids building tree forts 30 years ago as that may help them get a job as a carpenter, Runescape helps you develope skills for computer jobs I bet everyone of you own your parents in picture editing and beginning HTML. I didn't know how to take a screenshot until i started playing runescape.

I never thought that idea, good point.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ya, but do you really learn that much when your playing? I've learned more stuff about computers today figuring out how to work these forums then I've learned in 1.5 years playing RS.

If you wana learn how to use computers, take a Java class or some other computer class at your High School, because playing RS really doesn't help your computer skills in any way(except for typing, I now type like 5x faster because of the amount of time I play 8) ).

Heh... it does to a point, but soley doing RS you can't learn anything from. When you use these forums and all you could learn HTML if you didn't know it though.

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

My belief is that some high levels are as high as they are because they actually ENJOY the game, and think it is fun. They are the ones that have good lives (most of the time anyways). But, the ones that achieve high levels despite not liking the game and thinking everything is boring in it are the ones that don't have very good lives. It shows that they truly have nothing better to do. If you don't like a game, there is no reason to continute playing it. If pixels are really that important, then you seriously have a void in your life you need to fill.

I think there is something to this. I notice that some apply the 'nolifer' labels to adults like myself when all we are doing is just kicking back and relaxing when work-- house, job, etc.-- is done. Some of us are proficient gamers as well.

Obviously, when real life must interfere, we'll drop what we're doing in RS and attend to that.

For example, I plan to take some time off soon to start training hard for a road race. Granted, I plan to visit a fellow player, but my wife had already wanted to participate for a long time regardless.

I think it's quite possible to have focused goals in RS and focused goals in real life.

I agree that the game should be played to have fun. I enjoy the communities I am a part of, and one of my recent goals has been simply to gather clothes in game that didn't really boost stats, take screenies wearing them in game-- sometimes even scripting a story-- all for the amusement of myself and some friends. I think I understand the OoC a little better-- just play to have fun and don't take the game too seriously.

You can't learn HTML from RuneScape. What are you talking about? Please don't post things like that, just looks beyond stupid.

I learned more about computers just playing around with them and using one (and of course, building my own).

What did RuneScape teach me about computers? Absolutley nothing

You can't learn HTML from RuneScape. What are you talking about? Please don't post things like that, just looks beyond stupid.

I learned more about computers just playing around with them and using one (and of course, building my own).

That's quite harsh. Perhaps the game itself taught 'em nothing, but it obviously did inspire him to find this forum. Perhaps without RS, then he would have never learned HTML, because he learnt it out of a desire to communicate with fellow fans of RuneScape outside the game. You cannot deny there is some community aspect to RuneScape that takes it beyond the game itself that infuses most players.

For me, and I'm sure a great deal many other players, playing RuneScape goes beyond time spent actually logged in. There's reading the JaGeX official newsposts and other areas of the site. There's the search for information that is not presented on the JaGeX site. There's talking to other people about the game. Playing a game like this, I beleive, includes these outside activities.

If you disagree with that, then I am sure you cannot deny that these activities affect the way you play the game.

Even if you really do wish to make a point of him not learning HTML in-game, surely you can at least see and agree RuneScape was the motivating factor.

I find that a bit a stupid point of view let me explain, people play to get high levs right? So when you play to get high levs and have higher levs you sorta "have no life", but when they train skills they still have a life =-\ , i guess most people are just jealous and i think.

If you play games alot and have high levs = no life = athletes that train all the time.

:?

Anyway if someone says that it proves how stupid they are and laugh with them.

I have learned nothing from Runescape :? Also some people that do play this game are no lifers... People play 8-10 hours a day which i think is just really unsafe :?

homerhc6.jpg

Respect- Oy_the_Great, Lode, Bubsa, Weezcake, Thrash111, Gloric, Vmser, Pianofrieak2, Runemetsa

Sigs Made By - Pink