Magic Secateurs - Is the Rumour True?

oddfaery2

Jagex has implied that the new magic secateurs from the Fairy Tale quest will increase yields from farming. While some have supported this, others say it is untrue. Perhaps they only affect allotments, rather than herbs.

To test this, I have been doing herbs every time my nature ammy goes off when I'm grinding my bones. Here are my results:

Herbs picked with...

Secateurs: No Secateurs:

9 X (dead)

6 10

7 7

5 (no compost) 5

5 X (dead)

X (dead) 8

7 7

11 5

8 7

6 5

8 5

5 7

X (dead) 7

7 6

5 X (dead)

7 8

7 5

6 7

8 X (dead)

6 5

5 6

8 7

9 7

7 X (dead)

8 9

6 9

Successful Crops:

24/26 21/26

Total Herbs:

166 (+17%) 142

Avg Herbs/Living crop:

6.9 (+3%) 6.7

As you can see, at least from my herb tests, that the average herb/living crop is only +3% higher in 26 tests. This is hardly enough to suggest significant difference without a larger sample.

It does seem possible that the secateurs DID keep more plants alive, however. Only lost 2/26 crops WITH secateurs, but lost 5/26 without. Thus resulting in 17% more herbs with the secateurs than without. Does this suggest that the secateurs affect whether or not a plant will live, or is this just coincidence?

Let's see your tests ;)

Here is another test:

~~Without Magic Secateurs ~~

note - even as level raised, there's little to no difference in results

2826 Watermelons, 200 plots, 14.1 per plot

512 Snapdragons, 74 plots, 6.9 per plot

No watermelons died, 6 out of 80 snaps died

~~With Magic Secateurs~~

1301 Watermelons, 80 plots, 16.3 per plot

255 Snapdragons, 35 plots, 7.3 per plot

No watermelons died, 5 out of 40 snaps died

~~Overall Improvement~~

Watermelons - 2.13 per patch - +15%

Snapdragons - 0.37 per patch - +5%

------------------------------

I think the dying on the final test was a string of bad luck. The yield though is showing higher averages.

Any tests you submit can help us know what % increases to expect with the use of secateurs.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

I dont have a test but I do want to say that I saw a forum mod on official forums say "You might want to hold on the those when your planting and harvesting your crops..." so there probably is a corralation with planting and harvesting with the secatures and the amount of crops and or herbs you recieve back.

Happy B day oddfaery, sorry I missed the party :(

First of all I never belive what Jagex says. Well the magic secateurs are not the new farming tool. If you go back to the farmer after you complete the quest he tells you he will not give you the new farming tool untill he has a good harvest of crops. Then says it will not be long before the next good harvest is here....Hint of new quest mostly part 2. Here is a pic of proof.

newfarmingitem.png

133rd to 91 runecrafting. 212th to 99 runecrafting - 145th to 99 construction

Whip drops: 38

Dark Bow drops: 12

Owner of fire cape: 7/30/06

dp_crazy.png

weird they updated the magic secs to b able to prune diseased trees and to store in lepercuans sheds

weird weird....they make it sound like this item is useful and it seems to do littlt to nothing... maybe future update

enjoi888.png

weird they updated the magic secs to b able to prune diseased trees and to store in lepercuans sheds

weird weird....they make it sound like this item is useful and it seems to do littlt to nothing... maybe future update

They just fixed it so you can use the magic secateurs instead the original ones.

I tried wield them then hold them in invatory and then without them and didn't see any diffrent and for some reason when it was in my inv i got 5-6 herbs while when it wasn't i usually got 7-8 herbs. It doesn't work for me :(

Visit my web-site http://www.saam007.com.

Where you can find: Runescape Home Designer, Runescape Farming Tool, Runescape Sudoku Solver and how to pay membership while playing.

First of all I never belive what Jagex says. Well the magic secateurs are not the new farming tool. If you go back to the farmer after you complete the quest he tells you he will not give you the new farming tool untill he has a good harvest of crops. Then says it will not be long before the next good harvest is here....Hint of new quest mostly part 2. Here is a pic of proof.

newfarmingitem.png

Well, the magic secateurs have definatly increased my crop yeilds, although probably only something around 5%, and I seem to get 6 as often as i used to get 5 without..

OH, and the reward he's talking about.. Is CASH, he says at the beginning there will be a cash reward..........

My first ever guide - for advanced farmers (~50+)

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=549364

Now With Pictures!! - let me know what you think

ill say that i have been using them alot and yes they do on ocation give me yeilds when there equipped! alot more herbs, i have had 2 farm rounds of 38 herbs from all 4 patches totaled, that by far is more than i was getting before i had the magic secs. before i was barely getting about 25 per round, you make the call but dont forget to equip them before you pick your crops.

maybe after this update it's made a difference... I don't know. I've been wielding them again, and just like my first trial, I am getting a lot less diseased herbs.

This time, though, I'm getting a higher average of herbs... so who knows.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

maybe after this update it's made a difference... I don't know. I've been wielding them again, and just like my first trial, I am getting a lot less diseased herbs.

This time, though, I'm getting a higher average of herbs... so who knows.

ya i wasnt noticing a real difference last week, today it seems like i am getting a higher yield, im also growing non-ranarr tho; i havent taken the chance to actually write down comparisons tho; i have an old 100 ranarr list ill do 100 ranarr over the next few weeks and compare

The Jagex mod on forums hinted that they increase yield if they are wielded while harvesting but that they don't affect disease.

That said, ROW improves drops but no by as much as you can notice, so the secateurs may only improve yield by a few % which would take very large samples to prove statistically.

I think they may give a better yeild for alloments, i want growing corn and had treated the allotment with normal compost ages ago, and another one with super compost, then when it came time to harvest i forgot my magic secaters to harvest the super treated alotment, and only got about 8, then i picked up my magics and weilded them and got about 14 corn from the normal compost patch, i know this is a one off thing, but it seems that it may have more of an impact of yeilds when weilded to harvest allotments

Candymann16.png

I was thinking about copying the post across, but another Jagex mod has just come out and said the increase in yield is 10%.

Obviously this won't apply to trees, bushes or specials where the yield is fixed anyway.

that's right...theres been a confirmation by jagex

Mod Greg

Jagex Mod

08 Mar 2006 10:44

Magic secateurs give an average increase of 10% on your yield, when you are farming herbs, hops or vegetables. They do need to be wielded for this to take effect.

Mod Greg

Jagex Mod

08 Mar 2006 12:47

That's right, the increase will be noticed when you harvest the crops ......

so...keep your secateurs tight when harvesting your thingies :)

sigqp2bw9.gifIceBlackIce.gif

*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

odd, on these tests make sure you are "weilding" the secauters. I get much better results from herbs and crops when weilding them. I have no data, though, as I don't farm enough.

Its gonna take a whole lotta data, like 500 harvests I'm guessing, to determine if its statistically significant.

I know I "see" a difference when weilding. I got 13 herbs once. First time ever.

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

odd, on these tests make sure you are "weilding" the secauters. I get much better results from herbs and crops when weilding them. I have no data, though, as I don't farm enough.

Its gonna take a whole lotta data, like 500 harvests I'm guessing, to determine if its statistically significant.

I know I "see" a difference when weilding. I got 13 herbs once. First time ever.

Nice, I haven't seen any 13 yields, but have seen an increase in my 9 to 11 herb yields.

D

2009 Member Goals: Undetermined

Nice, I haven't seen any 13 yields, but have seen an increase in my 9 to 11 herb yields.

D

max yield for supercompsot 'was' 12, this is the 2nd 13 report with secataurs ive heard, IMO i think last week they just increased the yield max from 12 to 13 asusming it would then give more random and higher yields, but this week they realized the low return and made it an actual higher yield %