Isn't beer and alcohol bad for you??

soda711

We just started learning about alcohol in my health class and how it is bad for you. It like ruins your liver or something and makes you all drunk. So why do ppl still drink this bad stuff?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only bad if you drink a LOT. I believe alcohol is good for you if you drink a little :P

Why do people drink? From what I've seen in college..

1. To be cool and to fit in.

2. To have "a fun time" at parties.

3. To relax.. drinking makes you forget your sorrows.

Usually it's because people are dumb and want to fit in-- a lot of kids never drank, came to college, drank stupidly on the first week, and got alcohol poisoning. I hear ambulances all the time, especially on weekends.. :P

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

We just started learning about alcohol in my health class and how it is bad for you. It like ruins your liver or something and makes you all drunk. So why do ppl still drink this bad stuff?

Drinking alcohol won't kill you. Infact, drinking every now and again can (debatably) be healthy for your heart.

Drinking relaxes you and enhances experiences (for better or for worse). It can also give you a confidence boost.

To sum up: people drink because they enjoy it.

Drinking alcohol won't kill you. Infact, drinking every now and again can (debatably) be healthy for your heart.

Drinking relaxes you and enhances experiences (for better or for worse). It can also give you a confidence boost.

One Hershey's bar provides more antioxidants than a glass of wine can. And it's easier on the liver.

So don't give me that crap about a glass of wine a day is good, eat a bloody Hershey's and feel better.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

.....lol i dont think drinking every now and again can be healthy for your heart. i'm gunna ask my health teacher tomarrow. then i'll find the answer :P

One Hershey's bar provides more antioxidants than a glass of wine can. And it's easier on the liver.

So don't give me that crap about a glass of wine a day is good, eat a bloody Hershey's and feel better.

And taking anti-oxident tablets would be even better than a Hershey's bar. What's your point? This post isn't about alcohol vs Hershey's bars vs anti-oxident tablets.

Alcohol is good for your heart. That is a fact. Just because it doesn't support whatever inane and uniformed point of view you've decided to take this time does not make it "crap".

Your post, however, is crap.

As some other people have mentioned it is important to realise that there are different levels of drinking. You can't classfy having one corona over dinner the same as tequila shooting at a party (ie shots.gif) . Quite a few studies have proven that certain amounts of wine can be beneficial for the body, it is just when people drink in excess that it becomes a problem.

However in saying that you will go to enough parties (or any social environment) where people are getting really drunk and you will probably learn what your limit it. The biggest problem in my opinion is people who got out every weekend and get absolutely tanked, that can't be good for the body.

Nothing wrong with drinking responsibly

d0kcheers.gif

seph54646lrlr.jpg

Drinking alcohol won't kill you.

Here's a source that says about 103,000 people died in America in 2000 due to alcohol consumption. This includes everything from cirrhosis of the liver to falling to death when trying to climb a building (or something else).

peterstretchfn5.gif

Drinking alcohol won't kill you.

Here's a source that says about 103,000 people died in America in 2000 due to alcohol consumption. This includes everything from cirrhosis of the liver to falling to death when trying to climb a building (or something else).

Driving a car won't kill you.

Crossing the road won't kill you.

However, plenty of people die doing both. If you want to play semantics you're welcome to, but please don't involve me when you're doing it.

Anything in excess can kill you. It's just a matter of a nice little term called: "moderation".

Most young people in America have not been taught alcohol responsibility, thus they find it to be a rebellious act and find more fun in drinking it than if they were allowed to. You don't see this kind of rampant drinking problem in other countries such as Germany where the drinking age is lower.

Plus, drinking (especially at parties) usually leads to people dieing because people hop into cars and drive off into the night. In this respect, alcohol is very bad for you and other people.

As Zero said, it's all about moderation. I hardly drink, once or twice a week is my limit and that's only if it's social drinking. I can't see myself being the kind of person who downs a half dozen bottles of beer each night, I fear the beer belly :shock:

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

well, if you get drunk all the time, then i guess its bad.. [and makes you poor and fat!] i'm not old enough to drink yet, and don't plan on getting drunk.. yeah but still, i guess an occasional drink is ok. my parents rarely drink, perhaps twice a month? just don't be an alchoholic.

splintercellsheepzf9.jpg

When drunk in moderation alochol can have beneficial health benefits, although I can not find my copy of the Scientific Papers.... from memory the benefits include a lowering of blood pressure, decrease the risk of heart attacks, and lower risks of developing some cancers. Of course these benefits only occur if it is drunk in moderation (1-2 standard glasses a night if I remember correctly, less for females).

Wine offers additional benefits over that of pure alcohol. This is due to the chemical compounds present in the wine. Spirits is the worst form of alcohol to drink to get health benefits.

Edit: Quite a few papers (atleast the abstracts) are online http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=hea ... i=scholart

Too much of nearly anything can be bad for you, it just happens that just a small amount of alcohol can cause bad things for some people, so education helps you be more aware of it. I guess a bit of it every now and then couldn't hurt if you watch what you're doing, like maybe only drinking some during special occasions like New Year's.

Why do people still drink this?

Weez's reasons (which apply more to younger people), formal dinners, tradition (in culture or religion), good taste/feel. All these things seem to outweigh its bad side enough to make people still drink it after knowing the bad side of it, you just got to be careful around enjoyable things with risks and dangers.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Ok this is just my point of view, but alot of the american poster's on this topic seem to be down on booze? I drink like on the weekends, and mainly at partys, not to fit in or be cool or whatever...I have not drank at some partys and its ok but not the same...Drinkin makes bad jokes funny, it make you slurr so you can joke about that, it affects your sexual nature as in you want it more or less depending on the type of person you are, it makes you more honest, because you do not care about what anyone thinks. It can improve listenin to music, it can loosen you up and feel free..like I feel weird if i dance when im sober, but if i have a few drinks you cant get me off the dance floor....so yeah...drinkin can have it downsides but only if you do it wrong...like when i started drinkin i didnt get smashed straight away, i built up, first having 2-4 at a party then 4-6 to a party, then 4-6 plus shots...now it just depends how im feeling...like tonight me and my cousin are ganna drink a few...then 2moz night i have a party proberly get blind...because ill be surrounded by my good friends and my gf so i feel safe, plus im a funnier bloke when im drunk and everything is funny to me when im drunk

As: Dontknowyet -157 R.

Rs: Dontknowyet - 38

Bigboybad - 104

Because it's fun. That about sums it up.

And yes, it is bad for your health. But totally worth it.

I just probably an equal good time last night at a dance, and it didnt involve any alcohol.

BTW for those saying Alcohol is good in moderation for your health, its not just all alcohol, its just wine. 1 glass of red wine a day or somehting like that can be good for you.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Because it's fun. That about sums it up.

And yes, it is bad for your health. But totally worth it.

I just probably an equal good time last night at a dance, and it didnt involve any alcohol.

That's your choice.

I drink because i enjoy it, but the key is that i don't need to drink to enjoy myself. If you reach that stage, then it's a problem.

Kirk and Lars I could handle. At the same time.

And taking anti-oxident tablets would be even better than a Hershey's bar. What's your point? This post isn't about alcohol vs Hershey's bars vs anti-oxident tablets.

Alcohol is good for your heart. That is a fact. Just because it doesn't support whatever inane and uniformed point of view you've decided to take this time does not make it "crap".

Well, your post is equally crap?

You said in your first sentence that the topic is not talking about how healthy things are for your heart (anti-oxidants), then you come around and say that it is good for your heart and call my point of view crap because it does not support yours.

Ok, makes sense to me.

My point was that there are more easily accessable, cheaper, and healthier items out there that are better for you if you are drinking for health reasons.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

In these kind of discussions I have 1 vast point: "I'd rather live short and enjoy every minute of it (really living), than living long and constantly watching things and don't enjoy it (which isn't really what life is for in my opinion)."

So even if it's bad, I wouldn't care. Though on the point I made I do have some restrictions as in don't go too far. What I'm asking myself also is why is alcohol not considered as drugs and weed is? It's both bad for you (if you take too much), it both messes up your mental condition, so I don't know the difference. I don't know why everyone supports drinking alcohol, and thinks weed is some kind of evil herb. It's not that addicitve either, I see more alcohol addicts than weed addicts. I'd like to ask other people's opinions on this too (if it's ok), cause I really can't figure out how it's the way it is.

its only good for your heart if you drink like 1 glass of wine or less a day. if you drink like 10 glasses of wine each day then its bad for you.

Runescape Supreme Destiny

120/122 combat http://www.supremedestiny.com.my

99/99 str lvl 300 mortal

94/95 def lvl 220 god

99/99 att STAYCW2