Advanced Monster Blocking (links 13 Jan 2006) (AOW discuss)

keruly

Very nice guide. Certainly explains why Dagganoth Rex bumbles around on corners instead of abusing me!

I'd quite like investiage Damis. I heard that he was blockable at first, but then they chaged it so he wasn't.

However, I have always been able to block him right up to this present day. I train in his lair, and I get my fair share of pures asking for help, and I find that if they don't panic, and move properly, I can block him for them, while I just stand there with auto-retal on getting rid of the skeles.

I believe it does have something to do with the 'trampling' you mention, but n the 4 or 5 times I've done it, i've never figured out exactly why sometimes he doesn't move and sometimes he does.

Anyway, great guide, and if you ever get P2P back, and can find someone with reasonable defense who needs to do DT, we could go check Damis blocking out sometime?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself haven't done DT yet, and my def should hold up, but sadly I'm purposely keeping myself f2p for a while. Damn that Real Life getting in the way. I'll try to look you up whenever I get back into it though, thanks!

I'm glad to hear that the reports of damis being 'unblockable by friends' may be exaggerated. I can think of ways to make it inconvenient, like giving the monster range or mage abilities (the KQ and other 'trophy' monsters) or filling the room with aggressive underlings in single-combat area (the wild dogs in brimhaven dungeon.) Or you can put the monster inside a room that can only be entered on a quest... But I've never seen a monster that breaks the rules in this guide.

Except, I just remembered, I hear that abyssal demons always teleport to be next to you, which would make them impossible to block. That would be a real exception, since that breaks the rules of how normal monsters move. Hmmm...

Skill total 1750+, combat 102 Ranger.

Like finding safe spots? A Guide to Monster Blocking.

You have way too much time on your hands, good work! I might use some of these tricks some day. Can you use a friend to block in multiway, or will the monster attack your friend even when you're attacking it? Never really thought about.

bflinty1.png

Drops: Barrows: 60+ DK: 4... Dragon: 60+ Whips: 2... GWD: 0...ouch!

Main Goal: 2000 total with no 99's

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

Great Guide!

Alot of players have know this (incl. me) but haven't been able to put it into such simple words and diagrams! :wink:

A++ Guide! :D

You have way too much time on your hands, good work! I might use some of these tricks some day. Can you use a friend to block in multiway, or will the monster attack your friend even when you're attacking it? Never really thought about.

That's an excellent question, and to be honest I forget the answer. I know that a monster will sometimes choose to attack the player with the lowest remaining hit points, but I forget all the circumstances surrounding that, and I don't know what happens in the context of blocking, etc.. I don't want to start guessing blindly either. I'll have to research that in detail sometime. Anyone else know the answer? Thanks for the question. :)

Superb guide!

Not only did I learn a lot of things I didn't know but always wanted to know, it's also extremely useful!

Thanks!

Runescape: Lodev (Combat level been fixed at 101 for years now, Total level 1500+, playing since march 2002)

Arenascape: Lode (Level 240+ Warlock)

awesome :|

*impressed*

I know what I know and what I know might well not be what you want to know but then seeing as only I know what I know and you do not know what I know then you will not know if what I know is what you would like to know

As a miner who frequently goes to hazardous mining sites (mostly in the Wilderness), I, too, found this guide useful, mostly in answering some of the questions I've had about monster blocking, namely, why do hobgoblins/skeletons get hung up on certain corners and not others. Now I know why, and how to exploit that to make my pker shields more effective. Thanks a million.

Great work!

--Darg--

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

That's an excellent question, and to be honest I forget the answer. I know that a monster will sometimes choose to attack the player with the lowest remaining hit points, but I forget all the circumstances surrounding that, and I don't know what happens in the context of blocking, etc.. I don't want to start guessing blindly either. I'll have to research that in detail sometime. Anyone else know the answer? Thanks for the question. :)

I think that the monster attacks the player with the lowest combat level. When me (level 90) and a level 57 friend were at black demons, i had about 30 hp left, and he had full, he got attacked.

Currently P2P.

I don't want the world to see me, 'cause I don't think that they'd understand.

Formerly known as: Ghstkill8, Serene Ghst, Genius Goats

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide! =D>

I knew some of the stuff, but i learned much more.

This is one of the best guide I've ever seen. And the diagrams makes it so simple to understand.

This guide is just awesome! Thanks.

fastforce.png

lunarvu1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, this guide has been immortalized and stickified in the Archive of Wisdom!

Please make sure this guide stays in tip top shape.

PS. The attention to detail izzawowzers! Please make sure those pics stay active. =D>

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

your a genius!!! big help btw

Whoa, thats awesome. I had no idea about the trampling... The rest is pretty basic and can be done simply, assuming you have a willing partner, but I had no idea what determined whether monsters can walk over players or not. Thanks for the very insightful post.

av.png

People just need to learn to share crabs.
I'd prefer my nether regions clear of diseases, thank you very much.
just turn off accept aids

Thanks everyone for more praise and adoration. My ego loves you! :wink:

I subscribed to members again a while ago. I had said I intended to play with Damis and try to block him with a partner, but I have to admit I already went and finished the quest by myself. :oops: Thanks anyway for having volunteered, Roglord!

Congratulations, this guide has been immortalized and stickified in the Archive of Wisdom!

Please make sure this guide stays in tip top shape.

PS. The attention to detail izzawowzers! Please make sure those pics stay active. =D>

Thanks for the add. I'll certainly keep an eye on the pics.

As for my plans for the guide.. My stock of ideas for adding to the guide hasn't completely dried up, but since I've been catching up on all kinds of p2p stuff lately (and just being lazy) this guide has been put on the back burner. I still think all the important stuff is already in it anyway. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

One of the 'p2p things' on my list is to get a fire cape. Safe spots are old hat, I won't cover them, but one of the tricks to use against Jad's healers is to line them up single-file so only one attacks you. I might add a short section on how to do that, if it's as simple as I think it is.