Old JaGeX behind the scenes from 2004

Guest mmortalone

Most of it didn't happen :-s

It is nice to look back into the past every once in a while too.

who said jagex was done updating the game?

they still have summoning and everything else they promised!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for bumping this old-ish topic, but I think that this is important to remember.

Update: I've changed this list very slightly to clarify some of the items on the plan. Also please bear in mind when this list was written it was just a rough plan to give you an idea of the sorts of things that we were thinking of. As it happens we inserted lots of other cool stuff into the schedule that isn't even on this list, which pushed some things back but certainly didn't deprive you of updates! However pretty much everything here is still planned. There is just so many possible things we can do (this list being just a small fraction), and it's hard to decide what to do first! In particular we decided to develop several key map areas that aren't even listed, before the ones here, and did considerably more detailed and complex quests than originally planned.

Development plan as of 31-Mar-04

Now that we have finished our big game engine update we can finally get back to producing regular updates to the game.

I'm sure you're all wondering whats coming next now the update is finally out, so read on for a summary of some of the things we have planned.

The new game engine allows for us to do a much greater variety of updates. We will be able to produce many exciting new features which we simply couldn't do previously. We have also expanded our development team over the last few months so expect the updates to start coming thick and fast.

These are just some of the many of the currently planned features.

New areas:

# A viking style area, including a new quest and town. Completed

# A large 'frozen lands' area including penguins, mammoths, polar bears and more.

# A pyramid quest in the desert full of traps, treasure and mummys .Completed

# A barrows of the undead area to explore and find new equipment.Completed

# Some good training areas designed for rangers.Completed?

New quests:

# There will of course be lots of new quests. We will be adding these on a regular basis again, including Part 4 of the ongoing plague city storyline.Completed

New items:

# Enchantable rings.Completed

# More rare weapons and armour - including weapons with impressive special moves.Completed

# Armoured boots.Completed

# More clothing to help give your characters a unique look.Completed

# Special prayer book items which can be wielded in the shield spot for prayer bonuses.Completed

New features & skills

# Treasure hunt mini-game with a variety of rewards, including some new rare items.Completed

# Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!(note, spells, not skil)

# A quest journal for you to read and recap what point you are up to in each quest. No more coming back to a quest after a break, and wondering what you are supposed to do next.Completed

# More random events, to give more variety, and lots of chances to win unexpected rewards.Completed

# More pets and followers with different properties and abilities.

# Special organised game events on holidays.Completed

# Many new monsters such as Orcs, Lizardmen and more.

# In game versions of our boardgames such as chess and draughts.

And are also planning on adding even bigger features, that really take advantage of our new engines abilities, such as:

Player owned houses - Each player will be able to have their own unique house. Use the new carpentry skill to make new/rare things for your house.Completed

--BREAK--

Using the farming skill to grow herbs and plants in the grounds of your house. Build your own private party areas and shop areas, and more!

Clan support, to allow you to optionally form your own clans with your friends.

Mutiplayer castle arena for massive team based wars!Completed

Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest.

So there's lots to look forward to! We think the next year will be very exciting.

Look at that!

Here's what's left

-A large 'frozen lands' area including penguins, mammoths, polar bears and more.

-Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!

-More pets and followers with different properties and abilities.

-Many new monsters such as Orcs, Lizardmen and more.

-In game versions of our boardgames such as chess and draughts.

-Using the farming skill to grow herbs and plants in the grounds of your house. Build your own private party areas and shop areas, and more!

-Clan support, to allow you to optionally form your own clans with your friends.

-Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest.

That's 24 different items. They've completed 16, leaving 8 things left to do. In little over two years they've managed to complete 2/3 of their list, that's quite an accomplishment! Keep in mind that POH's are included in their list, and we all can agree that POHs were an amazing update.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Randomly Generated Scenarios, clan support (I'm interested as to what that will develop into), AND the additions to the POHs. Also we know that Jagex works YEARS in advance. Carpentry/Construction had been in progress since RSC for goodness sake! I can wait for these updates, but I'm pretty sure that they'll be coming out within the next year or so.

Discuss what Jagex has done (hopefully people will read through this thread and at least see their current checklist).

Edit:I didn't realize it but I did the same exact thing with a checklist when this thread was first posted. :lol: . Not much has changed apparently :anxious:

also board games should be in bold, i think they have yet to add chess if im correct.

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

They have added in-game games and the randomly generated scenario could be considered to be the burgh-de-rot minigame. they have done an extrodinarily large amount of stuff though, props to them.

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

The pets and helpers is bound to happen. According to the Posts from the Hedge, we are looking forward to Yanillian Hawks to hatch from our bird eggs.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Look at that!

Here's what's left

-A large 'frozen lands' area including penguins, mammoths, polar bears and more.

-Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!

-More pets and followers with different properties and abilities. possibly done aka pet rock and gold fish

-Many new monsters such as Orcs, Lizardmen and more.

-In game versions of our boardgames such as chess and draughts. completed gaming thing in brouphe

-Using the farming skill to grow herbs and plants in the grounds of your house. Build your own private party areas and shop areas, and more! half done can make trees and need the right farm lvl

-Clan support, to allow you to optionally form your own clans with your friends.

-Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest.

That's 24 different items. They've completed atlest 17 possibly 18, leaving 7\6 things left to do. In little over two years they've managed to complete 2/3 of their list, that's quite an accomplishment! Keep in mind that POH's are included in their list, and we all can agree that POHs were an amazing update.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Randomly Generated Scenarios, clan support (I'm interested as to what that will develop into), AND the additions to the POHs. Also we know that Jagex works YEARS in advance. Carpentry/Construction had been in progress since RSC for goodness sake! I can wait for these updates, but I'm pretty sure that they'll be coming out within the next year or so.

Discuss what Jagex has done (hopefully people will read through this thread and at least see their current checklist).

Edit:I didn't realize it but I did the same exact thing with a checklist when this thread was first posted. :lol: . Not much has changed apparently :anxious:

legends2.jpg

They will definelty finsh the list, because what else can they do. Theybest update wil be when the peguins come out. THey will not come out with summing for a while because magic is way to overpowered with ancients then lunar comeing out. Once the triangle is better summoning will be alsom.

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-

Well what I want is what they said in about the POH's with growing you herbs in there with working on you farming.

Yup. And those rndomly generated scenarios sound pretty cool too. :)

mzvest,Shadorik.gif

Shadorik.gif

# Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!

Notice it says Summoning spells Jagex said many times that Summoning wouldn't be a skill, just another spell book\spells. :?

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

Some of them are debatable (I'm looking at you Stilev) but for the most part the things I listed as not done are not done.

-More pets and followers with different properties and abilities. (The Current Rock and Goldfish have no properties or abilities)

-In game versions of our boardgames such as chess and draughts. No Chess, I should have broken it up.

-Using the farming skill to grow herbs and plants in the grounds of your house. Build your own private party areas and shop areas, and more! You cannot chop those trees, you don't have herbs yet

-Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest. Burgh De'Rott you CANNOT go with your friends. A quest would have a storyline and not just a single mission of "Get this person out of here".

[/rebuttal]

Those "randomly generated scenearios for you and your friends" sound very much like the instances in World of Warcraft. I can only hope . . .

141xh5.jpg

I swear some of you people would think it was a fair update if we had a lever you could pull which gave you 99 all stats and any item you liked. ----- Paul Gower; Runescape Senior Content Designer