Why dosent the UN do anything about it?-(NKorea discussion)

malo2

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im gunna guess itll be more like the cold war a case of whos got the biggest bomb and is most advanced

North Korea? Cold war? If a country like that started to act like the Soviet Union or Yankees, they'd be bombed back to the stoneage before they had even satellite (or proxy) countries. Back after the WW2, there was pretty much 2 powerful and rising countries, now there's many countries that could just tell their groups to destroy that country, a country that shot few missiles.

I believe this test was just a way to get money, food and good contracts. No1 wants a war and to avoid it, countries like USA (sounds weird how they don't want to war :anxious: ) would do anything to make them stop their testings. Just wait one year and see how USA/Japan/some other country sends some goods to NK.

Anyways I found some pics from NK from another boards. Pretty "weird" place...

mg00922xj.jpg

Reminds anyone of the old Soviet propaganda?

mg01273xr.jpg

Countryside of NK. For brainwashed people that's a paradise, for us that's hell.

mg03426bn.jpg

Pretty weird sign. That's from their capital city if I remember right, if I don't then some other major city :P Unlike in some "well doing countries", that bad place is pretty much in the centre of the town.

mg03501yl.jpg

Same thing from different view.

mg05056ga.jpg

More propaganda

mg05583me.jpg

Juche Tower (sp?) at their capital. For some reason that reminds me of the tower of evil.

mg00676vm.jpg

They got pretty nice roads, but to be honest, they are empty almost 24/7. Normal people don't have cars (and if I remember right, there are even some laws to restrict it) and police cars and others are really old. You should really take a look at their roads with Google Earth and then imagine only a handful of cars using them.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

( didnt read the previous pages)

what are they supposed to do, they are stuck in their own policies so that nothing really happens in the end. sometimes i wish that someone there would just take the lead for once and then the un can get back to the present stage.

we should not forget that the un has its really good sides.

as for now they tested them... several other countries did that to. one country used them for now. i hope that a decision will be made by the countries leaders before it might be too late

Guest GhostRanger
Yes, I am lacking.

I said that myself. Thanks.

I just remember seeing some crap about it on the history channel. Seemed they skipped the apparent "4 years" between the events. Perhaps they were not important enough. :lol:

If you're lacking in the history, please quit posting on this thread. How many times do we have to tell you that it was NOT retaliation. For the four years we "skipped" we were fighting the Japanese and the atom bombs were dropped as a last resort at the end of the war. How are you so presumptuous to post about a time in history that you admit you don't know about? That doesn't even make sense.

I understand your fear Ghost (about how the US is disarming while other countries are developing), but, I don't know, maybe it's just the cynical in me that wonders: do you really think the US are disarming at any sort of an acceptable rate? I know, I'm being cynical here, but I'd like to ask how you're so assured that the biggest superpower is willing to give up their biggest threat, when they've been so reluctant on other programs; i.e. Kyoto.

Tiday (4th of july), korea tested 4 longrange nuclear missles. So now, all world powers are worried again and are trying to get korea to negotiate again.

This has been going on for so long, why is the UN going so easy on iran and korea? why cant the do something about?

Is it going to be like ww2 again? Where the league of nations did almost nothing about Hitler exept a little slap on the wrist? Havent we already learned our lesson back then?

i wasnt aware that they were nuclear missiles

and [garden tool] the hell would u know whether or not the UNs were doing something or not.

what the hell would they do anyway? "excuse me but can you please not do that?" and if that doesnt work then what? go to war with a country that has nukes?

oh and by the way, hitler is DEAD man DEAD there isnt much more of a punishment then that is there?

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=

The UN never does anything when there are real problems. It's just a bunch of egocentric kiddo's representing the wishes of their country, who will never be able to agree with each other on major issues.

Hohto, can you link me to the boards where the NK pictures have been posted?

I remember there was quite an interesting picture of a shoe fixing sign there :P

Thanks

Duke_Freedom: When the problem is really serious, or when it doesn't matter at all, UN will take a position and do something.

Of course they can't do anything when there's nothing to be done (Iraq, anyone?). Your post is just the impression the republicans want to give about the UN, then they get people's approval when they need to ignore the UN and go on war with a random country without any proofs.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Hohto, can you link me to the boards where the NK pictures have been posted?

I remember there was quite an interesting picture of a shoe fixing sign there :P

Thanks

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... hp?t=82755

And bull912000, I remember reading from somewhere that those anti missile thingys aren't that great. They could probably shoot down a handful of missiles, but not save your (or anyother) country.

signaturehoh.jpg

Duke_Freedom: When the problem is really serious, or when it doesn't matter at all, UN will take a position and do something.

Of course they can't do anything when there's nothing to be done (Iraq, anyone?). Your post is just the impression the republicans want to give about the UN, then they get people's approval when they need to ignore the UN and go on war with a random country without any proofs.

Well I'm not even American so my impression is exactly the impression the UN is giving me... I have yet to see UN act professionally when it's needed. All you see them do is disagree, talk, talk, talk, disagree, talk and finally disagree.

They send out tons of resolutions to countries all the time, but when these countries just ignore them, all the UN does is send new resolutions :lol:. You don't gain authority that way, while the UN should have a lot of authority. Having trouble with the UN should be feared, not be laughed at, like the way it is now.

http://www.4forums.com/political/showthread.php?p=4815

There's a long list of the failures of UN. It's a great idea to have such a thing, but in its current shape it just doesn't seem to work. How many more massacres should we see before we realise that the UN isn't working as well as it should?

signaturehoh.jpg

I understand your fear Ghost (about how the US is disarming while other countries are developing), but, I don't know, maybe it's just the cynical in me that wonders: do you really think the US are disarming at any sort of an acceptable rate? I know, I'm being cynical here, but I'd like to ask how you're so assured that the biggest superpower is willing to give up their biggest threat, when they've been so reluctant on other programs; i.e. Kyoto.

The US will always maintain a nuclear deterrent, I can't see them ever completely disarming.

North Korea are just rattling the sabre, being provocative and showing off. It's not what you'd call a true threat.

But don't be so confident of the missile defence systems, they're never 100% accurate.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Did some research...

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/missile/td-2.htm

There's on the missiles North Korea has.

Here's a bit on USA's ability to destroy missiles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot

I wouldn't feel too safe with those. First of all little software error could cause a disaster (like in Dharan 1991) and 2nd, they aren't that accurate:

The U.S. Army claimed an initial success rate of 80% in Saudi Arabia and 50% in Israel. Those claims were eventually scaled back to 70% and 40%. However, when President George H. W. Bush traveled to Raytheon's Patriot manufacturing plant in Andover, Massachusetts during the Gulf War, he declared, the "Patriot is 41 for 42: 42 Scuds engaged, 41 intercepted!" [1]. The President's claimed success rate was thus over 97% during the war.

If U.S army says 70-80% accuracy for a Scud, then it's less than 50% for long-range missiles. I don't have time to google real speeds, but I assume a long-range (good enough to carry a bit bigger bomb from Asia to New York) missile goes at least twice faster than a Scud.

Btw even if that was able to shoot down 90% of nuclear warheads, approx 40 would land to USA if China shot their storages. 40 Landed bombs doesn't sound big when you compare it to USA's amounts, but 40 bombs would be enough to kill tens of millions people.

Still feeling safe with the anti-missile protection? ;)

signaturehoh.jpg

Still feeling safe with the anti-missile protection? ;)

IMHO, the best protection against a nuclear war is the fear of the nuclear war. A country that bombards any other country with nukes is quickly obliterated, period.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

IMHO, the best protection against a nuclear war is the fear of the nuclear war. A country that bombards any other country with nukes is quickly obliterated, period.

Totally agree with that. Balance of fear is the only thing that can keeps us away from the button and staying away from it is the only real way to avoid nuclear war.

signaturehoh.jpg

Totally agree with that. Balance of fear is the only thing that can keeps us away from the button and staying away from it is the only real way to avoid nuclear war.

Yup^^

Kim Il-Jong isn't crazy enough to start a war...

I think he's still secretly enjoying a western lifestyle.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

In my opinion, the UN DOES have the power, all the power. If they decide to launch an attack and completely wipe out all threats of North Korea, and Iran then they can do just that. Obviously I feel the fear in everybody these days, especially with nuclear weapons that were NOT present in WW2. I fear that within the next 5 years our world will be a terrifying place, and the population could very well drop below the 1 billion mark. This is because I feel there is so much hatred in the world, and so much potential for countries to do much damage to one another. If we don't act fast, we may never live to see another generation.

In my opinion, the UN DOES have the power, all the power. If they decide to launch an attack and completely wipe out all threats of North Korea, and Iran then they can do just that.

Yet they couldn't do it at Balkan or Rwanda for example?

signaturehoh.jpg

nukes.. korea...

if a nuclear war happened in this time... it would be a man-made apocolypse.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... topstories

The long-range missile failed. Besides, compared to what the US has, N. Korea won't put much of a fight. America is the world's only superpower for a reason.

dont speak so soon, if korea launches an unexpected attack, half the us will be gone before you know it.

Even tho we do have sophisticated protection against missles, we would have to do it with no error at all, which is almost impossible. Letting a single nuke hit anywhere will cause mass disaster. If were attacked, im sure multiple will hit us.

Im just very glad I like on the eastern side of us, farther away from korea and iran :)

North Korea has been a problem all along, it's just never been adressed, just as how the United States(my country...) is ignorantly in Iraq when we should be in North Korea and Iran.

Kim Jong has been pouring money into North Korea's military for years, sometimes starving his people to make weapons.

Those long range ballistic missiles are a HUGE threat to the whole world...

I just kinda open thought typed, so forgive me if I'm just restating what people already knew.

sweatcg6.png

Was just flipping through some channels a little while ago and I heard an interesting fact on cnn about our missile defense system.

So far during the testing the systems been only 50% effective. I'll try to look on the website for some more information.

Was just flipping through some channels a little while ago and I heard an interesting fact on cnn about our missile defense system.

So far during the testing the systems been only 50% effective. I'll try to look on the website for some more information.

ouch. so if nk sends about 10 missles, the rest of 5 would be enought to demolish most of any country if hit at the right spots.