New F2P Transportation: Trains

They have airplanes, teleports, and even flying carpets. So, why not trains?

Go from Draynor to Edgeville, Edgeville to Rimmington, and Rimmington to Draynor! Pay a small fee of 20gp and get on the train. Train rides last about 15 seconds (from station to station), not as fast as teleporting, but law runes are not needed.

Train stations could be incorporated, as well as train tracks which you can cross, but be careful not to get hit... :twisted: ...if you are hit, you lose most of your HP.

Trains would come once a minute, and every so often, you'd get a ghost train which would go off the tracks and take you into the wildy. No real animation would be needed, just a message saying "The train steers off the tracks and you are suddenly in level __ wilderness."

There would be three trains, namely the Saradomin train, the Guthix train, and then the Zamorak train, all in their respective colors.

A rather random thought, but one I wouldn't mind seeing incorporated.

shadowedkittenbuddyrn0.png

Image by Drek and Buddies

Train stations could be incorporated, as well as train tracks which you can cross, but be careful not to get hit... :twisted: ...if you are hit, you lose most of your HP.

incorporated.

not a good idea, a scammer could lure a wounded player to the tracks and.... BAM!

We have gliders, yes, but no airplanes.

Trains definately do not fit in with the rest of the game, so far. I say no. Terrible idea about the "getting hit", and I dont want the game polluted with train tracks.

i just dont think a f2p update as big as this is ever gonna happen...

and this probably will never even be considered in p2p since we already have soooooooo many modes of transportation :?

happyham1.png

^FINALLY HIT 200 QUEST POINTS THANKS TO LUNAR DIPLOMACY!!!!!^

yow90.gif

There already are mining carts. Besides, if an idea like this were made, it should be more like canoes.

You could go from rimmington to draynor to lumby to alkhirad and reverse. Not some random triangle thing.

av.png

People just need to learn to share crabs.
I'd prefer my nether regions clear of diseases, thank you very much.
just turn off accept aids

to make it different fomr other modes of transport, u should have to wait to arrive at your destination,5 minutes or so, to talk to people on the train too.

Interesting idea, but it won't work in the genre.

However, what will work is adding cart trips like Hajedy's cart (Brimhaven to Shilo and back) in other places.

Here's the routes I would propose, and the quest requirements to use them. Each route would be roughly 50 gold.

Al Kharid Castle to Draynor Jail (Must have done Prince Ali Rescue)

Falador Castle to Varrock Castle (Must have done both Shield of Arrav and Knights Sword)

Goblin outpost (north of Falador) to Lumbridge goblin area east of the river (Must have done Goblin Diplomacy)

Wizard's Island to Air Alter (Must have completed Rune Mysteries)

These routes don't particularly unbalance the game by providing duplicate travel destination spots (except Al Kharid Castle and Glory Amulet), and would be available in both F2P and P2P. The advantage is that these are more available to lower level characters. They are pretty limiting like the gnome gliders, but do give some flexibility.

- Sligo

Edit: As an added feature, future quests may actually cause these transports to become unavailable. For example, the P2P quest Garden of Tranquility would disable the Varrock-Falador line.

MySig.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize tht what you heard is not what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

if there was trains in runescape it would not fit in with the medieval look and feel of the game..i mean honestly can u imagine a train driving through varrok?? good idea thou 8-) i suggest the monty python mode of transportation myself..(which is riding on an invisible horse with a guy bangin to coconuts together behind u lol) if u havnt seen monty python and the holy grail u probly hav no idea wat im talkin about lol ::'

Edit: As an added feature, future quests may actually cause these transports to become unavailable. For example, the P2P quest Garden of Tranquility would disable the Varrock-Falador line.

Why? :shock:

I don't recall Falador or Varrock doing anything to offend each other to that extent during the quest.

If you dont take steps to ensure that you're protected, you void all right to complain when stuff goes wrong.
Join the petition for a new bank page layout!

grammar2gr8dx.png

Instead of a train, there could be a big carriage( to make it more old-fashioned, pulled by invisible forces(like the thestrals in harry potters). The carriage would operates every 5 minutes. The carriage would arrive at the station 1 minute before departure. No tickets are needed, you just pay and board. At departure a map of runescape will appear and it will show the carriage to the desination with dots representing stations(like the ships)The carriage wont be in world 1,2 and other very populated worlds, so if some ppl in thoses worlds really want to take fast transport they would have to go to less dense worlds and give ppl hu do want to go to the dense worlds a chance to go in.

Here's the routes i suggest. All routes are F2P unless noted

Draynor village to lvl 25 wildiness(1 way only, you cannot take the carriage to draynor, only from it) -50gp

Varrok Palace to Port Sarim-30gp

Somewhere just north of Falador to Ardounge(members only)-80gp

It doesn't seem right... :-k

Yes, it's true, but i can't seem to put my finger on what's wrong..

Hmm, maybe it's the whole non-medeivle fact, but then again runescape already threw that away with POH's...

To me, it seems as though they didn't throw away the idea with POH's, becasue the house's feature nothing that is not medeivel, other than the sinks (unless of course they running water in the 1400's-1600's). Also, There was mention of the fact that since there is a steam-powered cannon, why not have a steam-powered train in the Tip.It Times article, "It's Getting Better All the Time!". Tha answer to this is simple, Runescape should be kept as simple as reasonable and should generally follow the technology of the 1400's-1600's. No electricity, no gunpowder, no fancy technology such as laser beams, oand nothing that would never have been seeen in that era, excluding of course, the steam-powered cannon, that big smelting machine in Keldagrim (Can't remember what it's called), and any other subtle technologies that would possibly require a historian to discover that it does not fit.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Lol, sure. Members don't even have that and you want that for F2P? That's really stupid. Also it doesn't fit in the game at all.

Nomination for most stupid suggestion here.

no, no and no. Runescape is medival...and they don't have airplanes, they have hang gliders..magic carpets are not modern, they don't exist along with magical (note the magicalness) teleports. Trains would be a very unneccesary form of transport in my opinion.

In my view, and from the earlier posts that of others too, adding steam-powered trains to the human part of Runescape would greatly detract from the atmosphere of the game. The reason for this is that adding an early industrial feature to a world clearly writ in a 'swords and sorcery' (i.e. medieval, although with nods to the early renaissance, see the chemist in Rimmington) style would produce something of a conflict.

Note that I am constraining this to the human part of Runescape. Quite frankly, since that's the only part we have a historical frame of reference for, it's the only one we can judge on. The other species can do what they like without interfering with that feel.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif