Soloing the Giant Mole -Updated/New strategy(AOW discussion)

Nathaninch

Tip.It staff note: This guide has been copied to the Archive of Wisdom http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=565722

This original topic is for replies to the author and discussion.

Master Mole Killing Guide

About the Giant Mole

The Giant Mole is a mother mole that is indeed a giant. At level 230 with 200 hits, she is certainly a formidable opponent. She is killed primarily for her skins and claws, which can be traded to Wyson the Gardener for nests containing tree, herb and allotment seeds. It has an excellent droplist as well, including the Dragon Medium Helm, half keys/shields, rune items and a secondary droplist that mirrors the KBD's (yew logs, iron arrows, amulets of strength...etc.)

Tip.it Giant Mole Bestiary profile

As you see, she is located in her lair below the Falador Garden. To enter this lair, dig with a spade on top of one of the many mole hills located in the park. You will drop into her lair, but be warned, adventurers not carrying a source of light will get owned by little bugs.

After exchanging about 1200 claws/skins, I have noticed that the nests contain the following seeds:

Ranarr Seeds

Potato Seeds

Onion Seeds

Limpwurt Seeds

Cabbage Seeds

Tomato Seeds

Sweetcorn Seeds

Strawberry Seeds

Watermelon Seeds

Acorn Seeds

Willow Seeds

Maple Seeds

Yew Seeds

Magic Seeds

Spirit Seeds

As you see, the spirit seed is in there but so is a lot of junk. Most people kill the mole for a while just to get the spirit seed. It is certainly the best way if you really want one. The nests themselves are useful for sara brews and this is the fastest way to get nests if you want them.

Now not only is the mole a BEAST, but she is smart as well. Upon reaching the halfway point of her health, she will dig away to another location. This doesn't happen immediately after reaching half, but at any time after reaching half of her hp she will dig. When she digs seems totally random. The only observation I've noticed is that she digs immediately after an attack, so slower moving weapons with high attack/str have a distinct advantage.

With the right tactics however, Giant mole slaying is pretty easy and simple. Although it's simple to kill her, it is quite difficult to get the right routine down to killing her effectively.

What to bring

Inventory:

Spade - To enter the lair

Light source - It's dark down there, so you'll need to bring a light source. Or you can be slowly picked apart by bugs. It's up to you.

Dragon dagger + Rune defender - To poison. Battles with the mole tend to take a pretty long time. Posion damage adds up significantly.

Home/Lumby/Fally Teleports - Bring these to teleport to your house/Lumbridge and recharge your prayer points, then to tele back to Falador to bank and have another go at her. Teleport tablets are recommended as they take up less inventory space.

Potions - Super Attack and Strength are a HUGE help. Remember, you need to make each and every hit count or you'll be searching for her most of the time.

Prayer potions are a nice safety net to have when using protect from melee, and help to use your Strength and Attack prayers longer. However, use this purely as a safety net and Lumbridge/your House to recharge your prayer.

I recommend energy potions if you're new to this. It's aggravating walking around trying to find her, but if you get into a good killing routine you should be at 100% energy for each mole and will find you don't need them at all.

Ectophial - Optional if you're a wuss. :P

Equipment

First off, forget mage and range. Don't even bother with them.

With melee, I have come across three different ways to kill the mole effectively. All are based on the idea that you want to hit HIGH and OFTEN, not neccesarily quickly. I will explain strategy's in the next section.

I have named them:

1.) Dharok ownage

2.) Hally ownage

3.) Protect + whip quasi ownage

Protect + whip quasi ownage

moleprotectkc3.png

Hally Ownage

molehallyvk0.png

Dharoks Ownage

moledharoksmd7.png

Killing strategy

As explained earlier, you want to hit as hard and as often as possible. The mole has a chance of digging with each attack, so you want to make each one count so you don't have to keep chasing her all over the place.

The following are the three best ways to own the mole.

Protect+Whip Quasi Ownage

1.) Go and set your respawn point to Falador. Although I've never died to her (a miracle as I die ALOT) it's better to be safe than sorry. The mole lair is normally deserted and you have a good chance of getting your stoof back if you get back there quickly.

2.) Attack mole, turn on protect from melee prayer.

3.) Bust out dagger/defender and keep out until she is poisoned. Use special attacks.

4.) When poisoned, switch to whip/defender.

5.) Pot up. You don't want to pot with the dagger as you may hit her too often without poisoning her and she'll dig away without being posioned. VERY FRUSTRATING.

6.) When she digs away, go find her and continue attacking until she is dead. Don't forget to protect from melee!

7.) When she is dead pick up your loot, organise your inventory and head back to the respawn point in the center to get ready for the next mole.

8.) Repeat steps 1-6 until you have run out of prayer/inventory room. If you're good, these should happen at about the same time. I can typically get 4 moles in on one prayer. Teleport to Lumby/House to recharge your prayer. Teleport back to Fally to bank and head off for another mole session.

Dharok Ownage

1.) Go and set your respawn point to Falador. Using Dharoks is risky, and although I've never died to her (a miracle as I die ALOT) it's better to be safe than sorry. The mole lair is normally deserted and you have a good chance of getting your stoof back if you get back there quickly.

2.) Bust out dagger/defender and keep out until she is poisoned. Let her attack you until you reach below 23 hits. The highest I have seen her hit on me is a 22, but she might hit higher. Have your 'Protect from melee' prayer ready to be turned on right away.

3.) When poisoned, switch to your great axe right away.

4.) Pot up. You don't want to pot with dagger as you may hit her too often without poisoning her and she'll dig away without being posioned. VERY FRUSTRATING.

5.) If you're lucky, you will kill her without her digging away. More often than not, she will get away from you. Hunt her down and keep attacking her with your 'Protect from melee' prayer on.

6.) When she is dead pick up your loot, organise your inventory and head back to the respawn point to get ready for the next mole.

7.) Repeat steps 1-6 until you have run out of prayer/inventory room. If you're good, these should happen at about the same time. I can typically get 4 moles in on one prayer. Teleport to Lumby/House to recharge your prayer. Teleport back to Fally to bank and head off for another mole session.

Halberd Ownage

This neat method was brought to my attention by Mikercool. I have changed it in ways that I think make it a little more effective, but this was his idea.

1.) Attack mole with Dragon dagger until poisoned. Protect if neccesary, but at high a high level you can get by without it. Do NOT use special.

2.) Find a safe spot to hally (THEY'RE EVERYWHERE). Pot up, and bring the mole's health to half. Heal if neccesary.

3.) Once mole's health is at half, use Str/Att prayers and unload special. This should deal a good amount of damage and if you're lucky, you will kill her without her digging away. More often than not, she will get away from you. Hunt her down and keep attacking her from a safe spot with your halberd.

4.) When she is dead pick up your loot, organise your inventory and head back to the respawn point to get ready for the next mole.

5.) Repeat steps 1-4 until you have run out of prayer/inventory room. If you're good, you will run out of inventory space long before you run out of prayer. Teleport to Lumby/House to recharge your prayer. Teleport back to Fally to bank and head off for another mole session.

Which of the three you want to use isup to you. I reccomend the Hally and Dharoks ownage, as they are much better than the whip. Between those two methods, I think it's a toss up. Go between them to combat boredom.

Hunting strategy

Finding the mole after she digs away can be very frustrating. Her lair is pretty big. The following should help you:

Dig locations:

giantmolelair7mo.png

(thanks flippi273 for the map)

I'm pretty sure this map is missing a couple of spawns, but nonetheless it is very useful. I start at the bottom and work my way up (I have found she spawns near the bottom a LOT more often), making sure I don't miss any little corners or anything.

Only go as far as you have to, using your minimap to see an entire area and if she's not there turning aound quickly and heading in another direction.

Try to optimize the amount of NEW area you are seeing at all times. This saves you running energy.

The mole can wander quite far from her dig location, so don't be surprised if she ends up in a spot that you already looked in.

This is the route I take when searching for the mole.

moleroutese0.png

These spots allow you to see as much of NEW map as possible, hitting the most common areas I've found her. The route sweeps from south to north, and if you hit those spots you should see all the nooks and cranny's and not pass her by.

Tips

- Bring your friends! It's a multi combat zone, and friends make it a lot more fun and quite a bit quicker. Less efficient when sharing, but still effective. Fan out to cover as much area as possible and PM one another when you find the mole. Wait for your partner and attack together and you have a greater chance of killing her before she digs again.

- Don't let noobs slow you down. While they're only trying to help, each hit is a chance for her to dig. Their hits are not as productive as yours so they will just increase the chance of her digging without providing much damage.

- When recharging your prayer and banking, walk. The mole takes a while to respawn, and you should be using this time to get your energy back.

- Save your prayer. It's annoying when you run out of prayer when she is almost dead.

- Figure out how much prayer each mole uses up for you. Recharge accordingly. Don't get caught running out of prayer!

- If she's being a pain in the rear, take a break. She can really be a pain to kill sometimes. :P

- Use as busy of a server as possible for the fast respawn times. Essential for keeping your potted attack and strength as high as possible.

-Don't use prayer potions to recharge. Teleing to Lumby/House is much cheaper, although a little slower. You have to bank anyway, so combining the two is great.

-

I love killin this thing. Another helpful thing (originally Leester's idea) is to bring a cannon and put it in the middle so that you can hear the cannon shooting mole if it ever goes towards the center of the lair. Also, a lit miner's cap works just as good as a bullseye lantern.

-

Well. I think this is better to get health down:

Turn off latern, the bugs hit 1,1,1 like every second, wait till you're at around 20-5 health and turn latern on and put on prayer...

Q/A

All questions will be quoted here and answered as often as possible.

This guide is to be used only on the Tip.It forums/website. If you have anything to add or change, please provide input.

Happy moleing, and good luck with getting that spirit seed or gathering nests! :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Spirit Seed last trip with the SODB :thumbsup: .

Great guide, for anyone who DK's or uses a ton of Sara Brews the Mole is great, and soloing you get all the hides ::' .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

i killed the giant mole at like lv. 73 i just had full rune and a dds i used protect from melee and poisoned it then when i ran out of prayer i went and prayed at the manastory then faught again when it started digging then went back to the manastory then when i came back found the stuff it dropped...

Dr_Brinner.png

Someone told me to go dharok the mole once. It worked until the darn thing 20-ed [Typo fixed.] me. (I wasn't praying for melee.) None of us found my death pile, so that was like 100k lost, after which I decided that dharok wasn't meant for things that hit that high.

I would also like to add that you can range it, there are some safe spots along the wall that someone showed me. Range also means less catching up it seems.

the%20zephyrus.gif

The%20Zephyrus.gif

Click (above) for my blog!!

runemcw,the%20zephyrus.gif

Someone told me to go dharok the mole once. It worked until the darn thing 30-ed me. (I wasn't praying for melee.) None of us found my death pile, so that was like 100k lost, after which I decided that dharok wasn't meant for things that hit that high.

I would also like to add that you can range it, there are some safe spots along the wall that someone showed me. Range also means less catching up it seems.

Wait your saying it hit you for 30? hm ive been down there and killed 50+ most without protect from melee and the max hit is 21 and none of my friends have seen higher.. :shame:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

I love killin this thing. Another helpful thing (originally Leester's idea) is to bring a cannon and put it in the middle so that you can hear the cannon shooting mole if it ever goes towards the center of the lair. Also, a lit miner's cap works just as good as a bullseye lantern.

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

But is it worth taking up your helmet spot? :shame: Unless you don't need to wield it to get the bonuses.

The cannon's a great idea. I thought I was done with it after 85 slayer, but alas, 4 less bank spaces!

Curses! :P

Someone told me to go dharok the mole once. It worked until the darn thing 30-ed me. (I wasn't praying for melee.) None of us found my death pile, so that was like 100k lost, after which I decided that dharok wasn't meant for things that hit that high.

Wait your saying it hit you for 30? hm ive been down there and killed 50+ most without protect from melee and the max hit is 21 and none of my friends have seen higher.. :shame:

I mistype and you jump down my throat?

Are you happy now?

the%20zephyrus.gif

The%20Zephyrus.gif

Click (above) for my blog!!

runemcw,the%20zephyrus.gif

Out of curiosity... has anyone tried to TB or Entangle the mole?

High mage def, ice bursting failed miserably.. \'

I mistype and you jump down my throat?

Are you happy now?

You need to chill man, all i said was it cant hit 30. Wasn't "jumping down your throat" as you said if you mistyped just say that. Dont say im jumping down your throat <.<

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

Great guide mate!!!

instead of letting him/her :-w hit you, you can alternivately(sp?) just shut down( :wall: ) your lantern let butgs hit you to ~5 hp and turn it back on O:)

That might work, but what is the bugs max hit? 4 I assume as you say 5hp. However you will lose yet another bank space to a tinderbox, although you can drop it to pick things up, bank, buy another at general store, go back to toal ownage asap, unless you do it so fast theres no point as you're still on low hp. I'll try this in a few weeks whem I buy some dharoks for my strength training on ape atoll, total carnage!

bflinty1.png

Drops: Barrows: 60+ DK: 4... Dragon: 60+ Whips: 2... GWD: 0...ouch!

Main Goal: 2000 total with no 99's

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

good....ugafan and i need that map! we have been moleing for the past day and we get annoyed looking for her.if you showed us a way to find her faster we would greatly appreciate it.

p.s. i do more damage than he does and hes lvl 80 :P

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

good....ugafan and i need that map! we have been moleing for the past day and we get annoyed looking for her.if you showed us a way to find her faster we would greatly appreciate it.

It's in there now, check it out.

Yeah, it helps a lot...thanks!

PS...you know who owns in the combat ring, duel arena, or leesters party. :P

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Nice guide, although a miner's helm won't be very effective if you're Dharok'ing ::' .

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.