Cooking... possibly the most underused ability in RuneScape

DragnFly

i think that it is because it is hard to gather all of the ingrdients to cook. they should bump the cooking guild requirement to 65 to give us something to aim for, in the cooks guild they should have added. egg shop.a cooler that had cartons of milk (would need 4 cartons to fill a bucket) and then have a grain shop a shop selling pizza bases like in bandit camp but a higher price then bandit camp.

or if they can't do all that a tomatoe and cheese respawn in the cooks guild would be fine for goodness sake half of the stuff cannot be done efficiently the requirement is so low that is why they have the cooks guild inconvinient.

StarViv.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering why lobsters are so much more popular with PKers, than, say, anchovy pizzas. Is it just ignorance, or anything else?

IMO having a 0.5-slot item that heals 9hp in one click is not worse than having 1-slot item healing 12hp per click.

I mean, with anchovy pizzas you can carry 360hp in 20 slots, while with lobbies you can only carry 240hp in the same 20 slots. And 9hp vs 12 hp isn't too lame even in the middle of the battle? Or am I wrong?

Then, having high cooking means twice less time for cooking your lobsters (as you'd burn less).

Also high cooking means cooked Swordies, which is better than lobbies even for ignorant PKs

And when I get member (that will happen in a week or so) I'll be able to cook pieapple pizza, and it will be a 11hp per click, 0.5-slot item, definitely this beats lobsters.

And then there will be wild pie, healing 11hp per click, 0.5-slot item, with added +5 Slayer, +4 range...

And then it will be Tuna potato, 22hp per click - I'd dare anyone take on this. Manta rays at 22hp, Sharks, etc..

Well, it looks to me that cooking is far from dead... But then again, I's just my third week into RS...

I've been wondering why lobsters are so much more popular with PKers, than, say, anchovy pizzas. Is it just ignorance, or anything else?

IMO having a 0.5-slot item that heals 9hp in one click is not worse than having 1-slot item healing 12hp per click.

I mean, with anchovy pizzas you can carry 360hp in 20 slots, while with lobbies you can only carry 240hp in the same 20 slots. And 9hp vs 12 hp isn't too lame even in the middle of the battle? Or am I wrong?

Then, having high cooking means twice less time for cooking your lobsters (as you'd burn less).

Also high cooking means cooked Swordies, which is better than lobbies even for ignorant PKs

And when I get member (that will happen in a week or so) I'll be able to cook pieapple pizza, and it will be a 11hp per click, 0.5-slot item, definitely this beats lobsters.

And then there will be wild pie, healing 11hp per click, 0.5-slot item, with added +5 Slayer, +4 range...

And then it will be Tuna potato, 22hp per click - I'd dare anyone take on this. Manta rays at 22hp, Sharks, etc..

Well, it looks to me that cooking is far from dead... But then again, I's just my third week into RS...

While those foods seem more effiecient and better at healing overall, there are two main reasons as to why PKers use lobsters a lot. First of all lobsters are easy to fish and cook for compared to cooking other foods like the ones you mentioned. Also some of those foods would not be cheap to buy compared to buying lobsters in large quantaties. I'm not much of a PKer but sometimes that tiny little bit of health can save you. I know because it's saved me on many occasions when my character runs for his life out of the wilderness :wink: .

Domovoi123-Level 80 f2p

Noxious 0ne-Level 46 f2p

i know what you mean you with cooking at the start of rsc when fishing came out i refused to lvl it when i had around 60 cooking i started fishing and now i only fish/cook fish/cook

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

First of all lobsters are easy to fish and cook for compared to cooking other foods like the ones you mentioned. Also some of those foods would not be cheap to buy compared to buying lobsters in large quantaties.

Yeah, you're right, I often see PKs fishcooking themselves. But then again, if you manage to get an open-end contract with a hi-level player who's just too bored to fishcook and doesn't know the count of all their money [v smysle, ne znayet scheta svoim den'gam :)], then pizzas and hi-level pies would be great solution.

I do hope to be able to educate a few hi-level PKs into buying the right stuff from me, once the business relations are built :wink:

And I do find cooking guild very convenient, as one can make hundreds of dough or pizza bases quickly, due to its proximity to the bank.

While with lobsters - it's such a hassle for f2p to travel between Karamija and Draynor bank every 25 lobbies... Makes up for extra hassle with pizza ingredients, IMO

should be able to MAKE food that heals 20 instead of fishing sharks

Isn't Shark, being such a hi-level fish would require you being on hi level at cooking?

I mean - you've got to be member and level 80 at cooking just to be able to cook them (90+ to cook efficiently, without burning)? And at that cooking level wouldn't you rather cook things like wild pies, or other more interesting stuff (tuna potato, for instance - 22hp).

Me being one of those people who spent hours in the Cooking Guild, cooking my apple pies and wine and cakes... I know how it is now. As I'm typing this I'm fishing monkfish... But if I have the items, I make potatoes.. I havn't baked a pie in over a year... :( I feel bad now lol... I like your idea though, it's a great idea to seperate the skills, and remake real baking and cooking instead of it being just fish dominated. -sighs- I remember those good ol days during summer baking those pies though :P

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Your saying cooking is underused compared to firemaking??

No, firemaking is just that; Making fires.

Cooking, on the other hand, is a potentially huge skill, that most people only use for cooking lobsters etc.

monotonesiguv2.png

am i the only one who sees the easy solution?

one day, something goes wrong with runescape and it and scaperune get merged, so now fish come out of the sea precooked

so if ya want a good cooking level, you acculty have to cook stuff

or this could kill off the cooking skill entirly, one or the other....

oh, and too whoever said cooking was coonsidered not manly, i will whack you in the face with my saucepan as soon as my pies are done....

-proudly mixing cooking and violence to create a cake of funniness and doom!-

voidknight.jpg

~hawt Knight of the Void~

image,prof-spc-fleb,white,black.png

Barrows drops: 3. veracs brassard, torags hammers & dharoks greataxe (double drop)

i think adding cook x was the biggest mistake of them all, i mean you can hardly call cooking a "skill" now :S

and also some of those addings to help us to cook sometihng else then fish are pathetic, i mean im very happy i can cook chumpies on a spit now, im very happy! :roll:

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Maybe you should add a new hassle to fishing, preparing the fish for cooking? You would have to gut, skin and fillet and clean the fish. Also for lobsters you have to take out all the meat and cook it. Also, to eat lobsters, you need a knife or something to crack open it's shell. Honestly, I don't see why lobsters heal more than tuna, isn't a tune like twice the size of a lobster? Not only that, but unless you ahve special powers, you cannot eat an entire fish without leaving residue (Skin, bones, etc.) when you eat a fish you should be given either a new item called skin&bones, or two new items, one called skin, one called bones. Lobsters would only give a lobster shell, sharks and manta rays would only give skeletons, with a sharks being made of cartelidge(unless shark skin is edible, same with manta rays) Sea turtles would give a shell and skeleton. Also, cooking chickens and other fowl you would need to de-feather the bird, remove the beak etc. chickens and alike would not longer drop feathers, but carcasses of the bird, and these would basically be a dead form of the bird.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Well, as for food remains... I beleive, the game presumes that you carry with you only the edible parts, such as lobster meat, and tuna steaks, and the images of fish and lobsters in the inventory are just pictorial icons - for clarity sake (I remember in Morrowind you could hardly tell crabmeat from other alchemy ingredients without actually highlighting it - all because it looked "realistic").

And i don't think that fishcooking needs to be handicapped - too much outcry this will cause. But cooking - yeah, that definitely needs enhancing for f2p especially.

I've run a small study yesterday, comparing lobsters and f2p's most efficient non-lobster dish - anchovy pizza.

In a word - lobsters seem to be around 30-50% more efficient than anchovy pizzas in terms of sheer xp/gold gain. Me - I still cook anchovy pizzas for meself when I go fighting monsters, but for sale - it's lobs, unfortunatelly.

I'll post this full study here (after I polish it up a bit), so it would be evident, which exactly aspects of cooking must be tweaked to make it more attrtactive.

I really like your threads you come up with DragnFly. They have a lot of truth behind them especially this one. Though I can't see Jagex spliting the skills into 2 though down the track (maybe when they update Varrock's Graphics) they might make a total overhaul of the Cooking Guild. :)

And yes 32 cooking is far too low for a guild (especially cooking which is one of the easiest). And it is a waste of a guild at the moment. I don't think anyone really uses it, and it serves little point.

And it is a waste of a guild at the moment. I don't think anyone really uses it, and it serves little point.

Uhh, well, I don't think it's really a complete waste, cause cooking guild is primarily geared for pies. As long as you enter it carrying 28 wheats, you can find everything inside to cook 28 apple pies. And for new player it's the best HP-restoring item until you get to Lv40 in cooking/fishing.

I'd love to see more respawns in Cooking Guild, such as tomato&cheese and more bowls/dishes. Then it definitely will make pizza and stew more competitive.

I kinda like the breakfast idea :P Could it be the beginning of... :o POR? Player Owned Restaurants? lol that would be fuun...

that'd be cool. maybe spagetti....or sushi.....or.....um.....coffee! \'

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

Jagex needs to make one bite things that heal 20+, are relatively easy to make as in same time as fishing a load of shark, and massive upgrades to cooking guild. Still, fishing will always own cooking, as even if jagex makes better foods to cook besides fish, they will be members only, and the majority of raw fish comes from f2p, and the market is already established, and I doubt "spaghetti" or whatever will take it away.

Lagatag.png

it's just that people choose the fastest/best way to get their level up, i mean it's weird in runescape you would get more "experience" from cutting 100 saphires then let's say crafting 1 leather body, 1 leather chaps, 1 leather vambrances, 1 clay pot, 1 glass vial, 1 gold amulet, 1 staff... i mean how could that be?! quality should exceed quantity

not to mention that the longer tasks in runescape only give you slighlty more exp then a simpler task, for example you get 100exp for cooking a fish, but you only get 110 exp for having to run around and finding 3 ingredients to a pie, getting a pie tin, baking it, and maybe add an extra 5 seconds for it to cool off

it would be much better if leveling up would be less of doing the same thing over and over, but looks like that is the fastest way

Kuja_Cocoa.png

I understand, and I totally agree. Right now, instead of calling it 'cooking' it could undoubtedly be called 'fish cooking'. About 95% of players ONLY cook fish, nothing else. Jagex has continuously added more and more updates to the cooking skill to make it so they would make more interesting cuisine, other than FISH, but none see past the xp.

I think it would be a good idea to make a whole new skill with those neglected foods that almost everyone doesn't make.

Fish shouold be pretty much what they are now, quick easy and good for pking, however it is rediculus that they get all that and the best xp in cookin in the game! Slight reductions should b made in the xp given for cookin fish, the reward should b that its so good for pkin and easy to sell.

As for the rest of the foods, they should be there almost entirely for xp, for having to do so much work just for a pie or something that is clearly inferier to most fish is crazy! The ingredients should b more easily accessable, mainly by improving the cooking guild, which i think we can all agree is what needs to b done. More ingredient respawns perhaps wheat outside it? and a basement or something with a higher lvl restriction. More new foods with other benifeits apart from just hp, mayb something heals 25hp and boosts ur magic lvl, but must b ate in 5 bites, making it perfect for training ur magic with but not for pking.

As for sliting the skill in 2? I cant c this as being a good option.

Fish for pking

The rest for xp and training

The way it should be!

newbankofrsyq0.gif

As everyone has already stated, the only way to bring cooking back to it's "glory days" is to remove the ability to cook fish. Which will never happen.

Not necessarily, I am not talking about removing fish. Rather, i'm talking about giving people a reason to cook other things as well.

although a good idea fishing has been so inter-twined into cooking that it would probaly wouldn't go over very well

Thats why if there was ever an separation (which is unlikely), then current experience would have to stay with the fish cooking skill.

Your saying cooking is underused compared to firemaking??

To clarify, I meant cooking outside of fish. I would say it probably sees less use than firemaking, as more people probably light fires at the nearest fishing spot to cook a fish than people who bake a thing.

A food should be made that may be slightly more complicated than fish - but it could be made to not only heal hitpoints, but restore prayer points too. That would be a great incentive for me to not just fish for cooking exp.

once i got the level to cook lobbies i have not been back in the cooking guild. The guild the needs the most work is the monsarty. 32 to enter and all you get is an alter that gives plus 2 prayer points. true cooking like the guy on noob island said is not cooking fish on a fire. (don't ask me why i rember this.)

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-