-CULTS-

warri0r45

anyone ever heard of Raelism? It strikes me as absurd as many (more like all) cults are and made me think how stupid people are to firstly make this up and secondly follow/believe it. What got me most about this was the use of the terms 'Elohim' and 'Yahweh' when reffering to these aliens who supposedly created human life through thier superior genetic engineering techniques. the significance of the names 'Elohim' and 'Yahweh' is that they are both hebrew for 'god' which tells me that the people that thought this up obviously stole the terms to sensationalise ther cult.

What are your thoughts on cults and are there any crazy cults out there that you want to share details of or even any that you think could be true?? ( :lol: )

Who defines the difference between a cult and a religion? You may be aware of the recent arrest of of the leader of a spin-off religion/cult from the Mormon Church

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Most bassed in US, and are near Central US, and are usually disguised as some "christian" based ideal. They like to secluded themselves in gated communitiys, and have 60 year old men marry 15 year old women. SICK A SICK BUNCH OF FREAKAAAAAAS!

Its better to be judged by twelve, than to be carried by six.

Most bassed in US, and are near Central US, and are usually disguised as some "christian" based ideal. They like to secluded themselves in gated communitiys, and have 60 year old men marry 15 year old women. SICK A SICK BUNCH OF FREAKAAAAAAS!

That's just Warren Jeffs' "Mormon" sect.

As merc so wisely said, there is little difference between religion and cults. Religion is just more widely accepted, thus less "crazy" somehow.

I find it just as believable that there is a space ship flying behind a comet ready to pick up our souls as I do that there is some big man in the sky. Both are equally probable, if you think about it.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

youre definately right to point out the link between religion and cults, although the cults based on religion are often very twisted versions of the true religion. anyone else have any wierd/bizzare cults they know of?

What is a "true" religion? There isn't such a thing. It doesn't matter how many followers you have or how many golden arches and statues you built to your God; It doesn't make it any more credible (other than to the eyes of a medieval peasant who is amazed by all the shiny stuff).

Anyways, the so-called "cults" are in my opinion very often insane and make even less sense than a "religion".

Often, in cults a big emphasis is based on worshipping the 'boss' of the religion, who very often is not the rebirth of a klingon emperor; Instead he is just another opportunist taking money from gullible people and in many cases even committing crimes (but not always).

Then there is the center of 'cults', which often revolve around some mystical event that supposedly happened or will happen. Some of these are so ridiculous that you must feel sorry for the desperate followers. Example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavens_Gate_(cult)

Applewhite convinced 39 followers to commit suicide so that their souls could take a ride on a spaceship that they believed was hiding behind the comet; members reportedly believed themselves to be extraterrestrials.

Sounds like an episode of south park to me, but some poor souls actually committed suicide for their beliefs. :? Religions can and sometimes are dangerous, but so are cults in the modern world for the people who unwillingly might have an unstable mind.

Who defines the difference between a cult and a religion? You may be aware of the recent arrest of of the leader of a spin-off religion/cult from the Mormon Church

He forced people to follow his laws, worship by his rules, and practice his religion which in almost every sense violated United States law. It is a sham that he was even allowed to set up his community in the first place, and I feel sorry for all the people trapped there.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

If they pass around kool aid, then its probably best to run like hell away from there. :-k

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

He forced people to follow his laws, worship by his rules, and practice his religion which in almost every sense violated United States law. It is a sham that he was even allowed to set up his community in the first place, and I feel sorry for all the people trapped there.

The same can be said for all religions. SOMEONE made up the rules and people who follow the religion, obviously must follow the rules...

I don't want to bash religion, but honestly...Do people even think before they say some things? These people may have indeed been insane, but they're no more insane than the guy down the street who's walking to chruch to praise a dead man who may or may not been insane himself (would you believe someone today who said they were God's son? Noooo...We know better...) and a diety who has never once proved he exsists.

The only difference is your book is older than his and more people follow it, thus making it more "real" somehow. Like I said, those people most likely were insane...But are you saying that you're absolutely NOT insane for having YOUR beliefs?

[it should be said that by "your" I do not mean yours personally, as I dunno' your beliefs, if you have any at all, but anyone who follows any religion and has the mind to call others "crazy" for having different beliefs. Also, I'm not saying that I don't believe in any particular religion. I'm saying that to call somene else crazy for having their beliefs because they differ from yours is rather ignorant, even if they ARE crazy. Some call Muslims crazy, but they're just following what they (extremist muslims) believe.]

Oh, and I don't think those people were "trapped" there. He didn't kidnap them. They died because they strongly believed something to be true.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

The same can be said for all religions. SOMEONE made up the rules

The point is that all theists believe their god made up those rules, therefore only their rules are the right ones to follow and are totally 100% credible.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

the most popular cult in the world is called christianity - a cuult spinoff of judaism. and i'm pretty damn sure from alot of the sigs on this forum that not many pewople disagre with that cult.

not trying to offend anyone, but it's fact.

Back by popular demand!

And I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the light starts to fade, that you aree the reason, that I am not afraid, and I guess I just wanted to mention, as the heavens will fall, that we will be together soon if we will be anything at all.

the most popular cult in the world is called christianity - a cuult spinoff of judaism. and i'm pretty damn sure from alot of the sigs on this forum that not many pewople disagre with that cult.

not trying to offend anyone, but it's fact.

A more accurate word would be "sect", but from a factual viewpoint you are correct. Christianity as we know it today separated from judaism, radically disagreeing with some of it's key points and also (at least partially) disputing the status of the Old Testament scriptures.

The same can be said for all religions. SOMEONE made up the rules and people who follow the religion, obviously must follow the rules...

I don't want to bash religion, but honestly...Do people even think before they say some things? These people may have indeed been insane, but they're no more insane than the guy down the street who's walking to chruch to praise a dead man who may or may not been insane himself (would you believe someone today who said they were God's son? Noooo...We know better...) and a diety who has never once proved he exsists.

The only difference is your book is older than his and more people follow it, thus making it more "real" somehow. Like I said, those people most likely were insane...But are you saying that you're absolutely NOT insane for having YOUR beliefs?

[it should be said that by "your" I do not mean yours personally, as I dunno' your beliefs, if you have any at all, but anyone who follows any religion and has the mind to call others "crazy" for having different beliefs. Also, I'm not saying that I don't believe in any particular religion. I'm saying that to call somene else crazy for having their beliefs because they differ from yours is rather ignorant, even if they ARE crazy. Some call Muslims crazy, but they're just following what they (extremist muslims) believe.]

Oh, and I don't think those people were "trapped" there. He didn't kidnap them. They died because they strongly believed something to be true.

So I was talking about the legal aspect of the Utah cult, what are you going on about? It's like you went off on a huge rant based off of my past posting patterns, even though I went out of my way to stay on topic here. But hey, I have learned my lesson. Any thread in this board that has anything to do with religion undoubtedly turns into a massive flame holy war.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

this is where i would put in the picture of some guy on a street corner holding up a sign saying "join now! a few more members and we go form being a cult to being a religion!"

ds6-1.jpg

Untitled.png

cults are no different from religion. Its just today, people may be following a certain religion, but they barely know anything about the religion they're following. Most people following religions today (99%) are like "posers". Cults are groups of people who truely follow the religion, and understand it... and theyre freaks.

cults are no different from religion. Its just today, people may be following a certain religion, but they barely know anything about the religion they're following. Most people following religions today (99%) are like "posers". Cults are groups of people who truely follow the religion, and understand it... and theyre freaks.

Yup, Sadly its prolly best not to even join a cult/Religion. Just look what it did to bush's ideas and speech and hes been braggin about himself being christen his whole term.

I was part of a cult back in high school... :oops: \' .

Well, until we decided that being a religion was just lame and became and empire again.

(note: when I say cult, I mean a bunch of gamers just forming some random, stupid, do nothing group. It did last quite a bit though, bwahhaha).

:D

seems ive become a bit of a devils advocate with this post.

Just look what it did to bush's ideas and speech and hes been braggin about himself being christen his whole term.
I loathe religion interfearing with politics.

im not against religion its self though

seems ive become a bit of a devils advocate with this post.

Just look what it did to bush's ideas and speech and hes been braggin about himself being christen his whole term.
I loathe religion interfearing with politics.

im not against religion its self though

I too am strongly against mixing politics with religion, but he was probably referring to the detail that George W.Bush (like many other former presidents) was a member of the "secret" Skull & Bones society at Yale university. There is no proof but it has been rumored they do some pretty sick stuff which I wont discuss here, but there's plenty of information around.

One of the milder examples:

According to "dissident" Bones members interviewed by Alexandra Robbins members dine off a set of Hitler's silverware while in the tomb

And to think, how little we probably know of all the stuff the world's most powerful politician/s might have done before they got into power, and what they are influenced by...