Tip.It Times Presents: On Beggars and Begging...

Kiara_Kat

good article, everyone says that and it's true :wink:

also have many problems with beggars

a solution?: well just wear really noob clothes :twisted:

neonihilist said:There is a big difference between Runescape and real life. Runescape IS fair. Everyone starts with the same opportunity; the same stats and same items. In real life people have inredibly different opportunites. Some people are born to a rich family, and are given averything they'll need for their whole life, and a lot more. Others are born to a homeless family. There is very little chance for anyone born poor to become rich, and very little chance that anyone born rich will be poor.

well i understand that neonihilist says this but i am not quite happy what he said, it's not really true if u started runescape early than u could have party hats, santa's, ... or like the Editor[tm] said u could earn good money with runecrafting before the "stupid!!" update of the pure ess (that's the update that i hate the most of all UPDATES jagex did)

so runescape is very unfair for the ones who started a bit later with runescape. (probaly also the raison why they now don't give any halloween, christmas or easter suprises wich you can trade.)

but otherwise is everything fair in runescape :XD:

It's not COMPLETELY and utterly fair, no. But how much more fair can they make it? Starting to play later than most people is no reason to beg.

tifsbti6oi.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine theres no begging

Its easy if you try

Nothing to moan or scrape for

Just workin on skills - oh my!

Imagine all the players

Livin life in peace

Woo hooooo

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or begging

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join members

And the world will be as one

Ahhh beggars! RS wouldnt be the same without em.

My Favourite saying I love to hear ---

'neeeeeeeeed freeeeeeeeee'

Thx to J Lennon for the inspiration

ruth+lover.png

I do not agree with all the sentiments expressed in the article. As much as i dislike being begged for stuff (only tot lvl 1230, what do they think i'll have?), the fact that runescape is so non-linear to allow this type of behavior is a major drawcard for me. I like the idea of a virtual world where interactions between players is not limited to basic gameplay. The fact that begging, merchanting, setting up businesses has become an integral part of the game are signs of the vast freedoms allowed to players within the runescape framework.

I, too, love the immense socio-economic factors of RuneScape. I like how F2P can be compared to the ghetto - most people scam, beg or cheat. Then there are a few of the good ole hard working poor people, the occasional rich bloke. Begging, however, has definitely become waaay too commonplace. I won't play anymore if I lose membership simply because I can't find anyone in F2P to even have a conversation with that doesn't involve 'free stuff plz'.

Guess what? There are many F2P who are legitimate non-beggar players out there. I'm one, and there are many more. Please, instead of leaving RS when your membership dies for any reason, come find us!!!

In regards to the editors statement that begging doesnt work in the real world one only has to look at india to see that begging can encourage a movement/distribution of wealth from the wealthy to the poor.

A fair point, but the only distribution of wealth from the wealthy to the poor in RuneScape is the OoC's highly damaging 'Newbie Appreciation Day'. In which they mindlessly give out free things, teaching newbs that they don't have to do a damn thing and they'll get free stuff. :/

I hadn't heard of the existence of this previously. But now that I have, I am greatly sickened by the OoC's existence. I think a bunch of us legitimate good players need to go ruin the OoC's "fun" and show them that what they are doing is awfully wrong. The OoC is definitely teaching 'new players' and 'players who don't think they can do anything without bringing others down' something very wrong with what they are doing and they are being a part of ruining this game us good players all know and like called "RuneScape"...

Excuse me while I finish up reading and posting. I must take a break. -.-

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

wow i think 10 just got really big.... and i mean bigger then middle school big... and that was big.

jk good article im not a tip.it fan but this is what keeps me coming back. honest articles that are true and need to be posted on more sites for more people to read. if that happened to me i would probably quit the game since i would consider the charecter ruined and not gonna spend the time i spent on it on another charecter. good article that tellls the truth as usual

pm me in game for help if i can offer

newscapere4.gif

Join the campaign for more F2P Bank space!

When I was a new player ( a noob ) as the kiddies like call them. I thought high level players were snobs because they wouldn't talk to me many times. Now that I've played for a while, I realize that its not arrogance that causes that attitude, most often, its irritation.

I keep private chat on friends 99% of the time now and public on friends almost half the time.

I too have many high level friends 90s and 100s, even a few 120s. I'm still at 78 but thats because I'm just not that ambitious and don't play as much as I'd like too. But I do have fun... and thats the point.

Many of my friends are very generous. I've been given some really nice things. Not one of which I've asked for. Also, I've given away some nice things, but never to a beggar.

The only thing I give beggars is advice on how to make money.

Just here for the ride!

buk8.png

The only thing I give beggars is advice on how to make money.

This is good to re-iterate, seeing as it is about the best reasonable plan anyone can use, otherwise a good player would be teaching a beggar's mind the wrong thing. Now if only the OoC would realize this! :?

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Devnull, your existence in general f2p makes my brain hurt.

You all that are whining and complaining about the OoC and their newbie appreciation day seem to have a severe problem separating Real Life and a GAME.

Who the hell are you to judge if they want to give some free items? Does a set of iron armor ruin your gaming experience? You're acting like Runescape is a competition, where if you didn't get any help and had to learn on your own, that means they have to do the same thing too. Unfair? Have some cheese with your whine.

Get over it. Everyone learns eventually. Just because some newer players get a boost doesn't somehow ruin it. Any equally [developmentally delayed]ed arguments that this teaches them to beg is also stupid. If they were going to be beggars, they'd do it regardless of the OoC. And if they get a little help that makes them appreciative and nicer, I'm all for it.

Quit taking this stuff so seriously.

Personally i don't mind beggars all the much. I HATE ungrateful and greedy people though. They devalue any generousity. I do like to give stuff to random people (although never to people who beg), BUT there's a problem... when i turn my chat on i constantly receive pms from victims of my generousity. For some reason most of them believe just because i gave them a little something i'm their best friend. Not that i'd dislike them. It's just that a bunch of kiddies half my age can get a little annoying at times, especially when they think giving out free stuff is what i do all the time. and then there are those who idolize me... :-s getting a pm from kelem ryu00 was a little awkward, not as awkward as this guy made me feel though: "hey, can you meet me please, i want to show you something" "uhh.. oh well.." eventually we met up and now i know that i have a twin :shock:

Uggh I'm sick of the annoying beggers, they ask for things then they ask for more things and it never has an end, I wish Jagex could make a new item trick money, it shows up as real gp on the trade scene but it start to dissapear one by one and fast. Now in order to eliminate scamming these can only be traded when they are given away (and even then they have a small give away. Sick of beggers give thme the fake money and watch it dissapear. Or you can tell them to take a long walk off a short cliff whichever works for you.

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (back in the days of rs1 I think) there was a man who would give away small sums of money to everyone in Lumbridge except to the beggars. i know this because I was there and he gave me money for no reason, and to several others and one person asked why he didn't get any and he replies because you were begging. I wish for a repeat of that performance even if its by me (because it might be effective).

fathertime89.png

Personally i don't mind beggars all the much. I HATE ungrateful and greedy people though. They devalue any generousity. I do like to give stuff to random people (although never to people who beg), BUT there's a problem... when i turn my chat on i constantly receive pms from victims of my generousity. For some reason most of them believe just because i gave them a little something i'm their best friend. Not that i'd dislike them. It's just that a bunch of kiddies half my age can get a little annoying at times, especially when they think giving out free stuff is what i do all the time. and then there are those who idolize me... :-s getting a pm from kelem ryu00 was a little awkward, not as awkward as this guy made me feel though: "hey, can you meet me please, i want to show you something" "uhh.. oh well.." eventually we met up and now i know that i have a twin :shock:

I know what you mean, whenever I train construction (level 56) I make flatpack furniture with oak planks over and over and gave them to people outside the rimmington portal, well the same thing happened to me and it is annoying, now I just drop them right next to the portal, people can still get them for free but they won't know who dropped them (because by the time they become visible I will already have been long gone to the pest control bank to get more oak planks).

fathertime89.png

speaking of twins my original plans for my house was to have a gilded wardrobe and desser, and make myself a twin of one of my guests whenever I have a party, I even got a guilded wardrobe. But after the eternal wardrobe bug Jagex never fxed and some err redecorating changes I scrapped the guilded wardrobe :( .

fathertime89.png

Read the whole seven pages... =P~

I hate beggers, but I have no problem with newbs. Where else would I get my rune essence?

I find it sad that when I log into a free world, I get a parade of noob after noob asking me for free stuff. I'm level 87, and don't look like I have anything. Why do I get all the beggers? Then again, as said by the Editor, those who look rich often aren't rich. Maybe that's why? My outfit really isn't very gaudy: black dragonhide, a red team-cape, red boots, and a red wizard hat. I don't wield a whip, I wield a dragon scimitar (at least in free worlds). Why do I get all of the beggers?

I worked for my cash, and most definitely worked for my runecrafting skill. I find it sad that people consider me "lucky" when I have 2.3 million xp in the most profitable (and tedious) skill in the game.

I used the approach that someone else on this topic suggested:

Noob: Phree st00f P|_0><

Astaroth51: Last time I checked, begging was not a Runescape skill.

Noob: Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Astaroth51: Skills are rewarded by money. Begging is not. Go do something.

The noob often makes one last attempt, finds that you are never going to give him cash, and walks off. I get five seconds of bliss before some other noob latches onto me.

By the way... What is OoC? I know they're a clan who gives stuff to noobs, but don't know who they are.

That feels good, getting all that stuff off my chest. :thumbsup:

Astaroth51.png

signc6.png

Read the whole seven pages... =P~

I hate beggers, but I have no problem with newbs. Where else would I get my rune essence?

I find it sad that when I log into a free world, I get a parade of noob after noob asking me for free stuff. I'm level 87, and don't look like I have anything. Why do I get all the beggers? Then again, as said by the Editor, those who look rich often aren't rich. Maybe that's why? My outfit really isn't very gaudy: black dragonhide, a red team-cape, red boots, and a red wizard hat. I don't wield a whip, I wield a dragon scimitar (at least in free worlds). Why do I get all of the beggers?

I worked for my cash, and most definitely worked for my runecrafting skill. I find it sad that people consider me "lucky" when I have 2.3 million xp in the most profitable (and tedious) skill in the game.

I used the approach that someone else on this topic suggested:

Noob: Phree st00f P|_0><

Astaroth51: Last time I checked, begging was not a Runescape skill.

Noob: Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Astaroth51: Skills are rewarded by money. Begging is not. Go do something.

The noob often makes one last attempt, finds that you are never going to give him cash, and walks off. I get five seconds of bliss before some other noob latches onto me.

By the way... What is OoC? I know they're a clan who gives stuff to noobs, but don't know who they are.

That feels good, getting all that stuff off my chest. :thumbsup:

Well said, Omegaham. BTW, the OoC is the "Order Of Cabbage".

Devnull, your existence in general f2p makes my brain hurt.

You all that are whining and complaining about the OoC and their newbie appreciation day seem to have a severe problem separating Real Life and a GAME.

Who the hell are you to judge if they want to give some free items? Does a set of iron armor ruin your gaming experience? You're acting like Runescape is a competition, where if you didn't get any help and had to learn on your own, that means they have to do the same thing too. Unfair? Have some cheese with your whine.

Get over it. Everyone learns eventually. Just because some newer players get a boost doesn't somehow ruin it. Any equally [developmentally delayed] arguments that this teaches them to beg is also stupid. If they were going to be beggars, they'd do it regardless of the OoC. And if they get a little help that makes them appreciative and nicer, I'm all for it.

Quit taking this stuff so seriously.

Chris, the reason I take this so seriously is BECAUSE I KNOW RUNESCAPE IS JUST A GAME! I want to enjoy myself on RuneScape, and be able to have fun competing if I so feel like it, not be harassed by a ton of beggars. A lot of people share my view, if you'd take notice.

And BTW, the reason we are flaming mad at the OoC is because they are a bunch of other human people who just won't play the game right, and in essence, want to teach others not to play right either when they have their "Newbie Appreciation Day"... Those who were going to be beggars aren't being affected into starting by the OoC, but they ARE having their actions reinforced by the OoC. Sadly, this is when they start trailing the legit players who want to enjoy theirselves, as noted in my first paragraph after your quote, and that's where things add up and go horribly hellish, for lack of better description.

I'll re-iterate one more time for your ears that seem to fail to listen: We who are upset at the OoC know they are humans, just like us, and we also can separate real life from a game, AND WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY OURSELVES ON RUNESCAPE AND NOT BE HARASSED WHILE WE ARE PLAYING!!!

'NUFF SAID. Quit trying to help the beggars. Oh, and no [expletive deleted] thanks for the [expletive deleted] headache I don't [huge expletive deleted] need. :x

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

(p.s.: Thank goodness I proofread during posting. And thank goodness I can separate real life from a game, just like those others who share my views.)

You know what actually bothers me more than beggars? This guy:

AllDayIdiot: Buying 2 laws

AllDayIdiot: Buying 2 laws !!!!!!!!!!!

AllDayIdiot: OMFG!!!! Buying 2 laws !!!!!!!!!!!

Do you realize what OMFG stands for? Are you really dropping the F bomb at me because I didn't stop whatever I was doing to sell you 2 laws? Go somewhere and buy 100 laws and be done with it.

You know what actually bothers me more than beggars? This guy:

AllDayIdiot: [omg]!!!! Buying 2 laws !!!!!!!!!!!

Do you realize what [omg] stands for? Are you really dropping the F bomb at me because I didn't stop whatever I was doing to sell you 2 laws? Go somewhere and buy 100 laws and be done with it.

Well said. People shouldn't harass because they want to buy something. If a player wants to buy something, they should go to a bank and trade there, or go to a shop and buy from the npc located there.

~Mr. Devnull

it IS FAIR. everyone start off with 25gp, the same stuff in tutorial island. when u wear full d and a guy walks up to u and start saying, nice armour, and you know you had it...he will start asking for stuff..

Game's fair, begging in the game ain't.

~Mr. Devnull

i especially liked the last chapter, and i like many other hate begging.

recently when ppl come to me i have a new response, here's how the conversation goes:

X: valrx

X: valarz

X: val (this i could reply)

Me: try again, maybe the 4th time is the charm.

X: what?/huh?

Me: Try again, maybe, just maybe this time you can spell my name

X: valaraz (usually gets it right, if not i won't bother anymore)

Me: yes?

X: can i have free food/armor/weapon/runes/money/logs/etc?

X: i died in wildy/was haxed

Me: let me think about it

X: valasz? (notice the missspelled name)

me: yes?

X: can i have stuff?

option 1, me: allthough the offer is tempting i'll have to say no.

(at this point they walk off laughing or cursing which results in reporting)

option 2, me: can i have free stuff?

option 3, me: i'm sorry, do i know you? (and they explain again how they were hacked, after 3rd or 4th time i explain that i'm the guy from memento and that my shortterm memory isn't working at all)

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

Just for the record, begging isn't a skill just by low levels...

I was lvl 100 and kept getting requests from a lvl 99 player who claimed they had been hacked and had nothing, and could I help them out.

This went on for a while (I appreciated the entertainment value).

So one day, I sent my lvl 20 f2p character down to varrock bank to 'spy' on him...

Yup, there he was dressed in his full rune, etc, going about his business.

Me: Nice armour you're wearing there (from my lvl 100 acc)

Lvl99: What? Where are you?

Me: Im in the same bank you are.

Lvl99: *Speechless*...

Never heard from him again...

And of course one of the reasons I don't like to give 'free stuff' is that the person tells their friends they got something cool, and they contact you asking for the same favour....

Its funny, but it can get crazy!

ruth+lover.png

good tip.it times article! i get beggers following all the time, i disagree with what you said about "quests dont give money" i got probably over 100k in quest rewards (items and money) i no theres a quest where u get 100k, cant remember which one though, and when you said " to busy fighting to get money" fighting helps alot, the drops can make you richest of the rich ppl, lol.

once more, good article.

once i was going pking, i got my full mage and ancent staff, begger came up to our clan, higher than all of us, heres how it went:

Leader (safety reason i wont give names): What?

Begger: I got hacked. Pl0x can i have money?

Me: Nay. And learn to spell.

Begger: Yoo!

Me, Player 1, Player 2: lol

Begger: Give me stuff! you're rich!

player 4: We worked for our stuff, thats why you lazy person!

After 10 minutes, player 5 logged off, passer by came, 2 lvls higher, no armour.

Passer by: Can i have some stuff?

Begger: Forget it, they're selfish. Let's leave these idiots and look elsewhere!

Passer by: I heard there's a rich group in wildy!

Begger: Kool. bye idiots.

Player 3: Love you to!

we waited for rest of ppl.

Leader: Let's go.

We got to lvl 2 wildy. Begger got attacked by passer by, in full rune, surprise, beggar had full dragon. we helped. he died, we shared reward.

Leader: Ty, come on, let's go.

Passer by: Can i stay on this account ;)

2 days later:

Beggar: I got scammed, give me stuff!

Me: Hello.

Beggar: Go away!

Me: *Beggar's name* Did not get scamed, and is not poor, he is a scammer!

I reported him and a guy added me, saying he had to start again.

Moral of the story, beggars get what's coming to them;)

Oh and wildy didnt go well, me, leadr, and player 3 only just made it out, and the other died...we cancelled clan now:(

I was just reading a book in which a character said, "Be careful what you wish for - not because you might get it, but because once you get it you'll realize you never really wanted it after all."

It's not the destination, but the journey that counts! :thumbsup:

I was just reading a book in which a character said, "Be careful what you wish for - not because you might get it, but because once you get it you'll realize you never really wanted it after all."

It's not the destination, but the journey that counts! :thumbsup:

What??? An end to all scamming??? ALL of the legitimate players would love to see an end to scamming!!! =D>

~Mr. D. V. Devnull