Tip.It Times Presents: On Beggars and Begging...

Kiara_Kat

hmm very nice article indeed.. :thumbsup:

personaly i am very proud of what i've reached ingame because it is MY work and time i put into getting where i am now... back in f2p i had almost no times when i was walking, without getting followed with the anoying "give me free stuf, you'r rich and i need it! ". now im on members the only times i get ppl asking for free stuf is when i walk with my whip.... i can't see why people are atracted to it... yeah its a great weap, but everyone can have one with todays prices... for the restt it occured to me that wearing older holliday items (and christmas hats and scarves are OLD :) ), is also a good way to atract beggars...

and for what the ppl who need help concerned, they are mostly atracted to high combat lvls... i mostly tell them to add me and ill point out some directions for them. i once had someone who wanted to give me a burnt meat for telling him how to get to lumbie :lol: , and he would not stop talking to me be4 i came to lumbie to collect my burnt meat :shock: .

i mostly tell beggars to try some skills to make money... and it works. so more ppl should do that..

-=[ Once, a researcher of the weird and wonderfull items in runescape ]=-

sigtipit.jpg

You cannot do all you want. You have to make choises. I made the right one, hopefully, so will you!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, VG read.. i was walking thru lumby just wearing rune and this fellow thought I was Bill Gates, creeping up and trying to talk money out of me.

I told him:

a) I'm only 10 lvls higher than him (or her??)

B) I have no money on me and only 10k in the bank (truth)

c) I'm on a quest (lie)

& d) wait here brb

I went thru the toll gates and teleported to fally and was surprised when he didnt pm me.. hope he learnt his lesson... I dont have any patience for beggers or the lost anymore..

I don't ask for help, I give out help.. Ignorance is bliss..

<~[ FLAME_ON!! ]~>

on/off RSplayer since 2000

Ya, nice article. There are definatly too many beggars in the game now. Wherever you go, there are always too many people asking for free stuff. I'm not even a high level (combat 61), and i still get people following me around some of the time. Begging should be reportable. That would clear out some of the people who just try to get stuff off people who actually enjoy the game

:shame:

P JOE

I thought this was great reading. I don't usually post but this really caught my attention. I used to handle beggers by talking to them so badly that they called me meanie and ran away. Then I started talking to low lev ones, and some of them just need help. When you first start RS it is huge and you have no idea what to do. I am a chic so when I started a lev 20 I think guy took me under his wing and taught me how to do skills and train.

I never begged however and never would.

However, if someone wants to know how to get to lumby? There is no harm in telling them how to read there map. If they need help with a quest I tell them to look here. If they don't know how to get money I give them a bronze axe and tell them to cut trees and sell them to the general store in lumby. There is no quick way for low levels to make money just as there wasn't for me either. I worked my skills and never did start really making money until I could fletch and alch yews.

The point of our game is to work your skills and the higher you get the more money you can make. This is easy to explain to noobs. *Wink* When they say there to lazy, you then laugh at them and tell them that is why they are broke and always will be.

I live in Runescape.

Okay, I am giving up reading the first 6 pages of this thread... Too much to read anyway. And here's my thought/opinion/etc. on this...:

To the legitimate players and The Editor, I say this: Another great article, The Editor!!! You've summed it up rather well, to be very honest. There IS NO REASON for beggars to exist on RuneScape. The beggars really should learn to either play right, or give up and leave. It really does not do the legitimate players any good to have to deal with people trailing them around, driving them nuts constantly, period. I personally don't put up with it anymore and use legal tactics to get rid of those who wish to trail me, using the ignore function on them if they somehow defeat my basic tactics.

To the beggars, I say this: Straighten up AND play right, OR LEAVE RuneScape! I and many others have had it with you, and who knows? We legitimate players may soon start a movement to have you erased from the game! :x ... (For all those finding this paragraph questionable or upsetting, please note, this is a thought shared by many extremely upset people who play RuneScape properly and correctly, myself included. I'm just voicing it and really don't need to be flamed. :? ... I personally needed to get it off my chest. Anger eats people and makes them do stupid things, which I don't need to be doing.)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Nothing wrong with beggars. They have not been playing for a long time to understand how the game works. Once they understand how hard it is to make money, then they wil not beg again. If not, then just teleport him to another land!

Getting chicken legs when I say... BOO!

How about now... WILDERNESS!

Not to worry, Not to worry!

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=565211

Nothing wrong with beggars. They have not been playing for a long time to understand how the game works. Once they understand how hard it is to make money, then they wil not beg again. If not, then just teleport him to another land!

Just to note: F2P'ers can't teleport beggars away, and some can't teleport away from the beggars. Worse, beggars should have learned to read the game manual and understand that those who have good levels put a lot of time into it, especially the legitimate players.

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Nice article.

I have to say, beggars are quite annoying... But usually if they keep bugging me, instead of just trying to get rid of em I'll give em a few easy tips on how to make money, if they dont listen, I tell them again, and then if the keep telling me that killing lvl 2 men for herbs or picking flax is too hard, thats when the spite starts coming... I usually just ignore them after that.

Oh and yes, I seem to attract quite the begging crowd when I wear my yellow p-hat... it takes all the fun away of having such a fun hat...

Now, scammers on the other hand... I hate them, and have had many an attempt on my stuff. They're fun to mess with tho, especially if they're really bad at it... ("Hey, can you come and dig something up for me? Oh no, you have to bring your party hat to do it, it dosent work otherwise") ahhaa... good times, good times...

But, I do randomly give people stuff a lot, but never to beggars, only to friends. Even if they're just some friendly guy I met while woodcutting.

Revel in my Wierdery

I do agree with this article. It made some very good points. =D> bravo! well done!

I am always willing to help those that are trying to help themselves. I have no time or patience for those that are just wanting something for free because it is too much trouble to go get it!. If someone begs from me I try to find something they can do to earn whatever it is they are asking for.

But I have had some that I tried to help that got into the mindset that I should give them whatever they wanted cause i was a "friend". This has resulted in their being removed from my friends list.

If I have someone starting runescape that I know, I usualy make them a set of iron armor to start with, then give them a break in price when they want to go to better armor as they increase lvls.

I am older than most of the players on rs, at least in world 41. My usual retort to a begger is that they should have more pride.

I do not have a whip yet as I am unwilling to buy one. I am working on my slayer so I can go get my own. lol which will probably not happen as I rarely get the good drops. :cry: and i do agree that not every high lvl player is rich! I know I am not!

Oh well, I guess beggers are an aspect of the game we will have to tolerate as there seems to be no way to get rid of them short of stop playing myself! This I am not willing to do! So.........

Good luck to all! And i share my hard won patience with all of you! :D

Proud Mom of Donia

Proud Marine Mom of Corporal Adam (Marines/inactive)

Proud Grandmom of Michelle, Tyler, April & Levi!

"Only the insecure need to cheat"

Nice Article :thumbsup: keep up the good work. Theres not a lot that i dont like about Runescape, but beggers are high on my list. one way to cope with them is simply to ignore them. unfortunaly one can't report them (yet) but hopefully Jagex makes beggin against the rules, just like makroing and cropping. no matter what jagex chosses to do, ignoring beggers is the only way to cope with them at this point

A new study shows that 98% of teenagers listen to emo music. The other 2% have stayed straight gangster. If your apparantly the 0% who still listens to rock, put this in your signature.

b]

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1499/banksig2qn4.gif[/img]

I had a tradition on other games I have played to once every few months spend a couple of hours helping out new char. Some I gave items to, just walked up and gave it to them or even cash. But low and behold I was pestered beyond beleif by the majority of those people. Who time and again kept harasing me for more :wall: , and yes they for the most part did not even have the common courtesy to say thank you.

Unfortunatly this was to the detriment to the few who were truley gratefull, did not ask for any more and still to this day PM me to say hello.

The only thing I hope Jagex do in the future is expand the ignore list to accomadate say 3 or 4 thousand names or so. But not likley unfortunatly

Ungrim+Khan.png

the only thing i can say more about this topic is:

It's a game , play responsible...

think about others when u do such things and think about how you would feel if this things happen to you.

having a lot of money in runescape makes a lot of people feel great, they start to get addicted to the game and want even more .. and more... and more.. i think there is no solution for this problem except reminding the people that playing a game like runescape isn't harmless and if u feel that you find runescape more important than ur real life , just quit its for ur own good

It infuriates me when I see players giving stuff to beggars because it only teaches them to do it again. #-o If I see a player asking for free stuff, I tell them that I'll give them some free advice - to go and use one of the many skills they have to make some money; like fishing, mining or just picking up people's unwanted small change left on the floor.

We all start off with nothing in RS and the whole point of the game is to work our way up to the good things like whips and party hats etc. I agree with the article in that there is no point in playing the game if everything is handed to you on a plate. Where's the fun in that?!

Also a note for anyone thinking of begging: In the time it takes for you to hang around asking (or often demanding) for things, and for you to actually get anything, you could've easily gained both xp AND money by doing something constructive yourself.

Incidently, I'd love to know what 'free money' is??!!! :-k

Caer. X

When I was a noob, i always thought runescape was fun with all the new and different quests and skills that I could try my hands at. Now that all those quests are over, and I have reached most of the "easy to achieve" goals, I find it pointless to play. I guess if you have a goal, then you will seek a new way to find the goal. In runescape, that goal is to be number one, but once you achieve that goal, there really isn't much else you can do.

I do not agree with all the sentiments expressed in the article. As much as i dislike being begged for stuff (only tot lvl 1230, what do they think i'll have?), the fact that runescape is so non-linear to allow this type of behavior is a major drawcard for me. I like the idea of a virtual world where interactions between players is not limited to basic gameplay. The fact that begging, merchanting, setting up businesses has become an integral part of the game are signs of the vast freedoms allowed to players within the runescape framework.

In regards to the editors statement that begging doesnt work in the real world one only has to look at india to see that begging can encourage a movement/distribution of wealth from the wealthy to the poor.

I agreed with this entirely. I worked four years of staking to mass 5billion in rares and it feels good. I don't think it would be as rewarding if I hadn't worked to achieve it.

Putting public chat to friends cancels out wearing a blue phat. :mrgreen:

I do not agree with all the sentiments expressed in the article. As much as i dislike being begged for stuff (only tot lvl 1230, what do they think i'll have?), the fact that runescape is so non-linear to allow this type of behavior is a major drawcard for me. I like the idea of a virtual world where interactions between players is not limited to basic gameplay. The fact that begging, merchanting, setting up businesses has become an integral part of the game are signs of the vast freedoms allowed to players within the runescape framework.

I, too, love the immense socio-economic factors of RuneScape. I like how F2P can be compared to the ghetto - most people scam, beg or cheat. Then there are a few of the good ole hard working poor people, the occasional rich bloke. Begging, however, has definitely become waaay too commonplace. I won't play anymore if I lose membership simply because I can't find anyone in F2P to even have a conversation with that doesn't involve 'free stuff plz'.

In regards to the editors statement that begging doesnt work in the real world one only has to look at india to see that begging can encourage a movement/distribution of wealth from the wealthy to the poor.

A fair point, but the only distribution of wealth from the wealthy to the poor in RuneScape is the OoC's highly damaging 'Newbie Appreciation Day'. In which they mindlessly give out free things, teaching newbs that they don't have to do a damn thing and they'll get free stuff. :/

tifsbti6oi.gif

I guess I'm not high enough to be bothered by beggars much, though I've seen them and despise them.

Next most annoying to me, however, are the players standing around buying low level materials like planks or air runes. :roll: I want to tell them to go get their own, for pete's sake! Isn't the point to roam around and learn the Runescape-scape?

Thanks for the chance to put in my two cents' worth!

Cats rule; dogs drool!

KittyMom755

Cats rule; dogs drool!

Kittymom755

good article, everyone says that and it's true :wink:

also have many problems with beggars

a solution?: well just wear really noob clothes :twisted:

neonihilist said:There is a big difference between Runescape and real life. Runescape IS fair. Everyone starts with the same opportunity; the same stats and same items. In real life people have inredibly different opportunites. Some people are born to a rich family, and are given averything they'll need for their whole life, and a lot more. Others are born to a homeless family. There is very little chance for anyone born poor to become rich, and very little chance that anyone born rich will be poor.

well i understand that neonihilist says this but i am not quite happy what he said, it's not really true if u started runescape early than u could have party hats, santa's, ... or like the Editor[tm] said u could earn good money with runecrafting before the "stupid!!" update of the pure ess (that's the update that i hate the most of all UPDATES jagex did)

so runescape is very unfair for the ones who started a bit later with runescape. (probaly also the raison why they now don't give any halloween, christmas or easter suprises wich you can trade.)

but otherwise is everything fair in runescape :XD:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>

beggars SUCK #-o they make me wanna do this :wall: and this :ohnoes:

in fact I often DO do those

so......AWESOME ARTICLE! :thumbsup:

and please, next door neighbor, stop doing this :boohoo:, u really suck.

sigbanksupportqd1.gif