Tip.It Times Presents: On Beggars and Begging...

Kiara_Kat

sweet article editor =D> :mrgreen:

being f2p and i get loads of ppl following me round begging for free stuff,

that just gets really annoying after a while :wall: if i happen to waltz into

a bank wearing my measily full rune i get a million and 1 noobs asking for stuff :uhh: :( i just ignore em and they *eventually* go away

OFF TOPIC

2. 15 character pass? This is information you SHOULDN'T give out. Makes it easier for someone to guess your pass if they know the length of your pass. Think of the billions of possibilities they could skip.

True, but also think that even if you use ordinary letters, A-Z, the number of combinations is 26^15. Thats......a lot. Over one and a half trillion billion combinations.

Yet, 26^15 (36^15( = 221.073.919.720.733.357.899.776, about 221 sextillion) when numbers are included) is nothing compared to the normal amount of possibilities which is about:

36^5 + 36^6 + 36^7 + 36^8 + 36^9 + 36^10 + ... + 36^18 + 36^19 + 36^20

-->

36^15 divided by isn't alot, believe me

still if someone were to use a 3.GHz (3 billion processes per second)

computer to test all the possibilities of a 15 char pass it wld take:

221,073,919,720,733,357,899,776 / 3,000,000,000 = 73,691,306,573,578 seconds

to test all these possibilities.

thats about 2 MILLION years :shock: :ohnoes: :wall:

And thats assuming the computer is running at maximum speed lol

MORAL: if u have a 15 char pass and u tell sum1 that...rest assured u

wont get hacked :D (based on that info alone) :thumbsup:

jogus99.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with the Editor on this one. Beggars are scum, and should be stamped out from the community. In my opinion they are the lowest rung of the ladder, with scammers hanging on just above them, closely followed by pkers.

Right on Editor, sock it to to 'em!

Insert%20Clan%20Sig%20Here

Quest Points: 215 -{Next Quest: Desert Treasure}-

Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.

End of begging? That's everyone's wish, (except the beggers >.>) but it won't happen. Another thing I think is important, is that if someone DOES beg and get 10k, he/she shouldn't expect others of the same ranking to do so. It doesn't even have to be begging, like if your freind gets you a santa hat for your birthday, and another one of your freinds give you a d long, you shouldn't yell at them to get you somthing better because another one of your freinds gave you somthing better. Another thing is if you DID get hacked, it IS unfair, and frustrating, but you shouldn't expect a full refund or somthing, (which so many do) it is partially your fault if you get hacked. If you got a keylogger on you, it's your fault for downloading somthing carelessly or not downloading a firewall/virus scan. It's also your fault if you didn't put in a bank pink, didn't make recovery questions, or forgot your recovery questions. Even if isn't your fault, (I can't think of a reason, but) it's certainly not anyone else's fault. You can't go around asking people for stuff because you got hacked, quite frankly, it's YOUR problem. Anyone that's played for about a year or so, probably had an experience where they lost a lot of money from death, hacked, or scammed. If thier begging just because they're poor, then raise a skill to make money or somthing, at one point we've all been poor, and we though a way to make money. I really don't think their is a point to beg, and as the article saids, if you do get things for free, then it won't be worth as much. So what I think, don't give beggers your stuff, it's for their own good.

If beggars drive you crazy/annoy you etc.

Use the ignore function Jagex put into the game, that's why it's in there.

Jeez, people seriously need to get off their high horse here.

5 dollars right here, half the people who hate beggars right here have begged at least once during their RS career.

If I put every beggar I find on my ignore list, it'll be full before sunset. :P

tifsbti6oi.gif

5 dollars right here, half the people who hate beggars right here have begged at least once during their RS career.

The go to another world.

I don't even want to know what some of you would do with the homeless in real life...

Proud founder of the Myriad

I agree with the Editor completely.

A note: Us moids are not anywhere nearly as rich as you think we are. I rarely have more than 100k, and that's what I keep in case I die and need new equipment.

I think beggers should be given some direction as to how to get the things they want without begging before they're punished, because some (fairly dumb) people truely have no idea what to do. It'd be nice if they payed attention to the Island they came from, and asked the Guides about some things, or used the Knowladge Base, but that's what we should tell them when they first beg. If they ignore yuou, then ignore them.

Or, if you really dislike them, then ignore em anyways and let other more patient people deal with em. I tend to do the latter; I have enough trouble with noobs as it is...

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Very nice..I definitly agree 100% I have ben on the receving end of gifts and good deals. A frined of mine recently quit membere, and I ( and a lot of my friends) good some sweet stuff. I have also been able to help a few of my low level non member...and member friends.....giving them stuff I would HIgh alc and so on.....because I remember wat it was like. I think the begging problem has two sides....It is also causeing average to high level people to completly ignore low levels, the low levels then see high levels as stuck up...and that is how they act if they become a high level......and so the cycle continues.....its the same in real life........Also I know a guy that has gotten hacked twice in a three month period.....and he had stuff that was worth hacking....what did he do...he got himself an ax...and took out his anger on magic trees....and made almost all of his liquid funds back in a few hours.............So, anyway...I'll get off my soap box and move on...

In my experience there are three types of beggars and each type should be treated accordingly. (Thus avoiding some of the blanket remedies suggested earlier):

1) Players in genuine need, who are in mortal danger or 'stuck' somehwere and who beg for help

2) Players who beg for guidance (such as, "Please take me to Catherby")

3) Lazy gits who want something for nothing. (I think that this is the class that most posts have been referring to)

How to deal with them?

1) Help them and expect nothing back.

2) Use discernment and help those genuine in their need. Rebuke the purely lazy and point out the existance of the KBase.

3) The remedy here is simple:- "BEG OFF!"

:)

btw - regarding an earlier post about teleporting beggars to Waterbirth. Isn't it true that they can only be teleported there if they have done Relleka Trials Quest? Can't see a beggar bothering with that.

Blecca.png

completely agree! even b4 i was a mod (3 months ago) , i was fairly well known in world 83 seers, catherby and yew trees. now it is just insane, ppl asking about my skill cape and my modship!

Its nice meeting new ppl and all but meeting doesnt count as "1 mil plz" or " make me a mod". It doesnt bother me to much that they ask me for money it just frustrates me when i see parasitical ppl not making there own living and thinking because someones made more than them they should even the cash! I agree with ur 'spoilt' phrase definately.

I dont accept most free items in RS and Rl now, unless there actually worth having or are genuinely deserved.

People who talk about Bill Gates having loads of money so he should give it to Africa or Charity really dont see the point that money has to be earnt not scavenged.

Fortunately i do not actively show my real veiws, i smile/smiley and say thanks or something pleasant everytime when i think someone will be offended if i do not want their present or if i do not want to hand out presents. Luckily for the rest of the world i just look down on them and TOLERATE.

PS i do give expensive presents out to friends occassionally on birthdays.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

I think that the begging problem is ridiculous. Everybody has to earn it themselves, I agree about the presents and stuff. But nagging players to give them stuff..Its pathetic.

I do doubt the right people are gonna read it.

Why should we spend hours making money and give it away to beggars??

Not happening.

Good topic.

=]

--Shakh Snarf--

The go to another world.

I don't even want to know what some of you would do with the homeless in real life...

Ok, granted this post wasn't directed to me but throughout reading this thread it's the single post that has bothered me. In real life, a homeless person simply hasn't the money in real life for the things they need to live even somewhat comfortably, and most of the time it is not their fault, seeing it's cause can be anything from a company they worked for going out of business, to being a young adult who got thrown out of the house by a parent for some reason or whatever. In Runescape however, it is very possible to make what you need in order to thrive in the game if you are willing to work for it, all you have to do is take the pickaxe that you recieved free from tutorial island, ask around for a spot to mine, and start working, that's what I did.

People beg in real life to survive, and I do not mind them at all, if they're doing it to rip people off of money I can't stand them, and that's what people in Runescape do, rip people off their money, and to compare what somebody feels about in game beggers to real life beggers is very very wrong.

Btw, what does one do when the ignore list is full.

This article is so real, Keep your good work Editor, this article says what all the days of RuneScape's life there is a beggar that always say to a random person things like: "Give me 5k of money or I will not stop trading you" and you just turn off the trade option and let the beggar go away...

He is right too when he says "I've given friends in-game some good gifts from time to time, but there's a difference between giving a friend an amulet of glory for their birthday, or a set of black dragonhide armour to celebrate them reaching the level they can wear it at, and randomly giving stuff to beggars" Is totally true, is not bad giving a little help to a good friend or getting it. But bother people to get money that YOU WILL NEVER GET is another thing

Editor thanks for the good article

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

The go to another world.

Homeless people can't get jobs. Anyone can work for their money in RS.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Brilliant article :thumbsup: , i was saying "i agree" all the time

Yes i do agree that beggars are annoying (very, as a matter of fact)

but whether we like it or not, we will have to live with them, as not everyone is perfect.

The simple way to counter-act this stuff is like what Grim_Jokes said, ignore them, but don't switch world, guarrenteed you'll be confronted by a beggar.

This space is reserved for "Them"

I'd eat Mackerel anyday over cake, because i know if i die i can make more :D

Guards are selfish with their clue scrolls, for god's sake we practically have to kill them for their clue scrolls! :D

I often see people begging for money while holding a dlong and wearing a rune plate. I tell them that if they need money so bad, they should sell thier dlong and plate. They usually shutup after that.

If it is someone without anything visible they could sell, I'll send them a trade offer and give them 1gp. That really makes them mad.

totaly true. my friends ask me after i get new stuff like sara armor "can i have a gift?". i do occasionaly give out one, but thats when they need help (just today i gave a new friend about 1k lobs it wasnt big cause im trying to get 99 fishing). i remember a thread on the official forums helping out noobs, i totaly agreed on them except for one thing, they offered item starter kits. i approve helping out a noob to start him off, teach him to make a ton of money, but i expect him to do it, not me. a lot of my friends are richer then me cause of me.

Beware of the Sara Trio

saratriosignaturerl8.png

totaly true. my friends ask me after i get new stuff like sara armor "can i have a gift?". i do occasionaly give out one, but thats when they need help (just today i gave a new friend about 1k lobs it wasnt big cause im trying to get 99 fishing). i remember a thread on the official forums helping out noobs, i totaly agreed on them except for one thing, they offered item starter kits. i approve helping out a noob to start him off, teach him to make a ton of money, but i expect him to do it, not me. a lot of my friends are richer then me cause of me.

Beware of the Sara Trio

saratriosignaturerl8.png

i so agery their are to meay beggers i was on my lvl 84 a begger comes to me and says can i plz have a mil plz plz plz plz then i get hacked and lose my file to go to begging?! no i dont i work for do my freinds beg yes they do coz they dont work for their own i gave one of em full rune g then he lost it in the wildy but i didit mind coz hes a freind if he was a begger then i woud :boohoo: :boohoo:

pie

Ooh, very good peice..As usual :D Beggars are an on-going let down in the RS community, its a trend that must be stopped and put to rest. We need to take advantage over the beggars and teach them how to make money <.<

icedearth06.png

More Tip.it Friends Needed! Feel Free To Add Me\m/ Tip.it's Biggest Metalhead.