new map areas for hunting?

Daviduhlich

According to the November Behind the Scenes article, the Hunter Skill will be released this month, and there will be some area expansions to support this new skill. See below:

This new addition to the RuneScape skill list is a non-combat skill which gives the player the opportunity to track, net, trap and generally scare the fur right off a brand new range of creatures! Hundreds of new objects and large areas of the map will now be opened up to you to explore and lay in wait for these pesky varmints. Rewards range from brand new weapons and armour all the way to your own imp in a box.

So naturally we all want to know, where will these areas be? I took a look at the world map today, and I found plenty of areas which are due for an expansion. This is just speculation, but I found some interesting possibilities. So without any further delay, here's my list:

1. Feldip Hills

feldipde6.png

Chompy hunting may be the only clue we have to what the Hunter Skill will have in store for us. Based on the poll of 04-September the population of Runescape could care less about ogres, but it would make sense to see an expansion to the south of here where new birds are hunted.

2. Port Phasmatys

phasmatysjb8.png

Here we have a possibility of travelling to the "Eastern Lands" that have been hinted at in some quest, and on top of that more open space to the south. As far as what players would hunt here, your guess is as good as mine. :roll: But another possibility to this is that it could lead to the next Myreque quest and an update to:

3. The Sanguinesti Region

sanguinestipf8.png

This would probably be the largest area expansion if it were updated for the Hunter Skill. The chance seems rather slim on this one though, because it would most likely be updated for another Myreque quest rather than hunting.

4. Trollweiss Mountain Area

icemountainay7.png

There's a nice little square cut out here, which would be a good spot for an icy plain or something. This would also enable Jagex to add mammoths and other such creatures that they promised us a while back.

5. Isfadar

isfadar1uk9.png

What we have here is a swamp that gets cut off, with a little green path to the west which might run around it. I personally wouldn't go hunting in a swamp for real, but knowing Jagex, they will probably introduce to us some "swogres" or something.

6. Prifddinas

isfadar2hm2.png

Prifddinas seems like its been waiting a long time for some buildings or something to be put in there. As of now, it's an empty city with two paths leading to it, and a quarter of it is missing. This is a long shot, but Mournings End Part 3 might even involve some hunting, which would explain the wait.

7. Piscatoris Fishing Colony

fishcolonygt4.png

This one is a given, based on the Behind the Scenes article:

And finally this month, we release our second quest: Eagles' Peak. This exciting update is focused around the Hunter skill again, inviting the player to learn more about the mysterious disappearance of one of Ardougne Zoo's freelance specimen hunters. After promising them the delivery of a rare ferret the poor chap set out to the far western reaches, somewhere between the Piscatoris Fishing Colony and the Tree Gnome Stronghold.

If you take a look at the world map, you'll see this area is not far from the Isfadar region, and the two areas could conceivably be connected sometime down the road.

8. West of Miscellanea

miscellaneayu9.png

miscellanea2dn0.png

There's an interesting little chunk cut out of the sea here between Miscellanea and Lunar Island. I can't imagine why that would be, unless Jagex plans to throw in another island in there.

9. South of Uzer

desert1ag4.png

Finally we come to the desert region, which is huge. We have Uzer, we have desert lizards, and we have the city of Nardah, all right next to.. absolutely nothing. An extension of the coastline wouldn't add much room, but maybe Jagex could add a dungeon or another small town about the size of Nardah.

10. Menaphos/Sophanem area

desert2kn2.png

There is a ton of land that could go here. There is at least one unifinished coastline in this area, maybe two, and then theres the River Elid, which comes to a sudden halt at the southern end of Menaphos and Sophanem. If I'm not mistaken, Menaphos is empty and inaccessible, and the two cities are surrounded on three sides by a nice thick black fog where nothing has been added yet. Overall it looks pretty bad, the way the southern half of the desert is suffocating. So let's hope something is coming here soon.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like many of the areas you mentioned are surely plausible. I can definitely see Feldip Hills becoming expanded. Also, since Priffindas is in Isafdar, home to many rabbits and other huntable creatures, I'm almost positive it'll be introduced with the release of Hunter. Still the possibility for MEP3 giving an opening is still possible, but who knows. Not me, at least. :-w

Fantastic post.

I think Isafadar swamp area would be extremely likely, and hey there's wild game all over that area. Possibly a training area more than a starting point. I'd also like to see some expansion on the edgeville dungeon, lord knows that would be a really good land mass for some great hunting to go in.

I don't see the elves being a huge part of this though. Why would they tease us of another quest for so long if they were just going to tie it in with some quest? Unless it would be for high levels exclusively (unlikely), I don't see why they would introduce it with such a big quest.

I must say again...

Fantastic post.

I don't see the elves being a huge part of this though. Why would they tease us of another quest for so long if they were just going to tie it in with some quest? Unless it would be for high levels exclusively (unlikely), I don't see why they would introduce it with such a big quest.

What I meant by that was, maybe the land expansion between piscatoris and Gnome stronghold would be used as another path to Isfadar in the future, not that mep3 would necessarily tied to that quest or to the Hunter Skill. I suppose I wasn't really clear on that, since I changed my mind about different things at least 15 times as I was writing this.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

Nice post I must say.

Personally I want the area around the Al-Kharidian Desert to expand as lots of history about the gods - especially Zaros and previous ages are based around that area. The Pyramids, Itchlarin, Azzandra heaps of things 8-) . Besides, that area by the Ruins of Uzer might be a possible hunting area. (there's a patch of vegetation). Well done :thumbsup: !

sig-4504.jpg

^ Refresh for a new signature ^

090125180013cc9.png

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe the black spots are there to save data and space, etc.? Excellent post, nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure the Black Areas mean areas that aren't in the game yet. If nothing was going to be put in those areas, they would just end the map, wouldn't they?

Xeroshadow48.png

11/30/06 - Quit RuneScape

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe the black spots are there to save data and space, etc.? Excellent post, nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure the Black Areas mean areas that aren't in the game yet. If nothing was going to be put in those areas, they would just end the map, wouldn't they?

Bingo, you answered your own question.

i think jagex has let on to some possible future updates on new lands...

for example, in ghosts ahoy, the "eastern" guy in the harbor of port phasmatys talked about lands to the east...hmm....

this is just a way to keep people wondering.

and its got me hooked! :-k =D>

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Currently the best beat out there:

Minuit jacuzzi (DatA Remix) - TEPR

Bingo, you answered your own question.

If they never intended to add anything where the black areas are, wouldnt it make more sense to just put the finishing touches and add shorelines or whatever they need to do to to close it off instead of ending it so abruptly as they have done?

My guess is, the black spots are there to hide whatever is in those areas until they are finished, so we don't see this stuff and try to play with it while its in development.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

Very good post, finally something that I enjoyed reading and agree with. Before this post I had strong views on Feldip hills and the fishing colony areas being updated. I also thought about another thing. (this can work much like agility does)

Due to the fact these areas will be unique and totally new, Jagex can run rampant with this new skill, it could be like nothing we've seen in the game so far. This relates to agility, as agility is quite unique, and can only be done in it's own special locations. Thus, differing from "anywhere" skills like fletching, herblore, crafting etc, which all fall under the same category.

In conclusion, I hope Jagex makes the most of this oppurtunity and creates a unique skill that differs from our current "anywhere" skills, but also from our area skills like farming, agility and construction.

Looking forward to both the skill and the map advancements :)

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

I can confirm south of Feldip. Take a look at this map from the Parents Guide in the knowledgebase.

worldmap1ga6.jpg

Look south of the Feldip Hills. There's a new area there.

Rantz even mentions the hard to hunt animals there.. I can't remember exactly what he says.

(Apparently lots of people that work on the Knowledge base have never actually played RuneScape.. So they don't know what is already in the game, and what isn't.)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Also..

desert1ag4.png

There will probably be lion, zebra's, and giraff like creatures there.. Since it starts getting slightly grassy, it'll probably be African themed lands..

Those seem like quite good guesses, except most of them are for mid- high levels. They said it would be non-combat, but only high level players would be able to reach most of those palces. they'd probably have some of those, plus many more easily accessable areas.

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

worldmap1ga6.jpg

Rantz even mentions the hard to hunt animals there.. I can't remember exactly what he says.

If you look carefully, there's also an island above the Keldagrim cave entrance, near Relekka.

Also Rantz says that the bird creatures are strong and scary for ogres to catch, so they leave them alone. Rantz even says that they are putting up fences to keep them out.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

I can confirm south of Feldip. Take a look at this map from the Parents Guide in the knowledgebase.

Good find. I was never even aware of that map.

(Apparently lots of people that work on the Knowledge base have never actually played RuneScape.. So they don't know what is already in the game, and what isn't.)

I can tell :P

The desert is a pretty good example of that. There's a nice big cloud over the east half of the desert, but we've had stuff over there for a while.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

Nice find, I agee with all, except for the elf one, because after all, it is a city.

What can you hunt in a city?

~Saruman44

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

What can you hunt in a city?

Rats? :)

Another idea is that they might have us take a boat or something to a new area not on the map for our hunting. Like we go to another area to make runes.

Good post, Daviduhlich!

Excellent post! A lot of time and thought has went into it.

I'd say, just from gut feeling, that Priffindas is going to be an essential hunting ground. It looks like a large open area rife with animals for hunting.

Keep updating this thread with other options and areas that could be used.

Good work!

Hey, nice finds! :D

I find Prffindas probably a huge area to start learning the Hunter skill, maybe start the quest. I'm not sure MEP 3 will start out Hunter, like Druidic Ritual, but maybe include it.

What about

herebepenguinsjv5.png

8-)

Will be interesting to see if these new Hunting areas will require agility levels to enter?

You can imagine how busy they're going to be when the skill is released, so i wouldn't be surprised if Jagex introduce something to control the volume of people in certain areas?

Harrington.gif

Will be interesting to see if these new Hunting areas will require agility levels to enter?

You can imagine how busy they're going to be when the skill is released, so i wouldn't be surprised if Jagex introduce something to control the volume of people in certain areas?

I just want it to be a skill where there's no other "player interaction" Such as Fight caves and some things from the newer quests where you can't see other players. Otherwise the skill is going to be impossible to train on day 1, ala Slayer. Farming was done really well (In the way you can only see your own patches) and hopefully Hunting will be the same otherwise It'll be hell. Also if there's buyable things you need for the skill (like slayer) Jagex need to make the stock infinite otherwise you'll wait for an hour just to get the item needed to start it.