What do you hate most about school?

Goldenjkered

I hate that our university professors are going on strike and I will have to write my exams at least one month after my last class.

To you I say: HAH!

We have to do that every year. Teaching finishes around the 8th of December, exams start around the 20th of January. Year in, year out. The same happens for the May/June exams, teaching finishes in April.

Well I'm being positive. Chances are they strike into February and I lose my semester along with the money I have paid for it.

That's really terrible. Why are they on strike?

3898000bYVcx.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that our university professors are going on strike and I will have to write my exams at least one month after my last class.

To you I say: HAH!

We have to do that every year. Teaching finishes around the 8th of December, exams start around the 20th of January. Year in, year out. The same happens for the May/June exams, teaching finishes in April.

Well I'm being positive. Chances are they strike into February and I lose my semester along with the money I have paid for it.

That's really terrible. Why are they on strike?

Well they aren't on strike yet. BUFA's (Brock University Faculty Association) contract with the administration expired in JUNE and they still haven't come to an agreement. Basically it all boils down to money (as usual), but they're masking it as "retirement benefits" (which come in the form of money).

Another thing BUFA wants is for the administration to stop hiring short time associate professors, instead of full-time professors with PhDs. This is because associate professors cannot conduct research and thus our reputation as a graduate school depletes. This is a viable reason from the professors and graduate student's PoVs, but for undergraduate students this is not a good thing, as if this passes, it will attract professors to the school that only care about doing research and they don't give a crap about actually being good lecturers. The best lecturers I have had, have been associate professors as they actually need to gain a name for themselves.

The last mediation meeting was in early October - it failed (obviously, else I wouldn't be writing this). BUFA voted in favour of a strike, and the earliest date for them to legally strike is December 5th. The administration, instead of taking initiative and scheduling another meeting for soon, scheduled the next meeting for DECEMBER 3RD. I mean, what the hell? The students are up in arms and some are even protesting/picketing.

Exams start on December 4th, and luckily I have one scheduled that day. So I'm guaranteed half a credit this year (if I pass :P).

summerpngwy6.jpg

What I hate about each subject:

Social Studies - It's history, which I don't know much about. I'm used to knowing pretty much everything we "learn", but this changes it.

Math - My teacher is my friend's dad. And he's hilarious. I can do a pretty good imitation of him, and he's pretty good. Just a little boring.

Science - Same as SS, I suck at biology. Only class in which I haven't gotten 100% on a test.

English - We have the best discussions. When one of your character's name is Nagaina, which rhymes with a body part, things can get interesting. Especially if your teacher brings it up. What I hate? The teacher insists on calling on me, since I never raise my hand.

French - We have 5 boys in our class. Almost all the girls are dumb. We move at an extremely slow pace, due to all the whining.

Latin - I punched a kid during Latin...Good enough?

Phys. Ed - I am NOT athletic.

Lunch - I punched a kid everyone hates yesterday. He was making racist remarks and slugging me in the face with his backpack. So I grabbed his shirt, shoved him, and landed one right across his chest. The principal saw the whole thing, and heard it as well. The other kid gets in trouble, I don't.

Overall: Test and quizzes are no problem to me. Essays and projects are. You see, I procrastinate. So I save every homework assignment until the last minute. I don't know why, probably because I hate homework.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

That sounds like a really tough situation... Something that may not be resolved quickly. That really sucks for you. Do the students really get any legitimate say in the matter?

Nothing. We're caught in the middle and legally, we're 100% helpless. So students have taken to cussing out both sides in the school newspaper and/or protesting in the main lobby. Profs just laugh at them. I don't know what the administration thinks because they're generally faceless.

summerpngwy6.jpg

That sounds like a really tough situation... Something that may not be resolved quickly. That really sucks for you. Do the students really get any legitimate say in the matter?

Nothing. We're caught in the middle and legally, we're 100% helpless. So students have taken to cussing out both sides in the school newspaper and/or protesting in the main lobby. Profs just laugh at them. I don't know what the administration thinks because they're generally faceless.

Well, it's your money and your future. Either way, I hope that things work out as smoothly and as quickly as possible.

3898000bYVcx.png

Well, it's your money and your future. Either way, I hope that things work out as smoothly and as quickly as possible.

Heh, it even made wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Univ ... gotiations

summerpngwy6.jpg

waking up 6am, thats it

HAH! I wake up at 5:30 am. <-- That sucks...major.

Also, the teachers have this mindset where they think they're the only teachers giving us homework and that they are the most important. Some days I get piled with literally hoooooourssss of homework while other days are fine. This is one thing about middle school that is better than high school: your teachers talk to each other. Although, middle school is worse than high school.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I HATE religion in schools. I don't mind the work, but getting religion shoved down your throat in high school... ack.

i'd have to agree, in terms of how my school worshipped like every morning...

but in christian studies class, we learnt about all religions (see the irony?), i found that interesting.

Getting up early, and homework. And the fact that the only year that really counts is senior year, so basically i got good grades and tried hard all the other years for nothing and now i'm burned out and don't care much about school, it's all so stupid #-o And the fact that you get so much more homework this year cause its the "most important", they should have just taught us more the previous years so its not as much :x

yes.png

Too much homework is bad for you. Too little is bad for you.

I hate school mainly because it has so much homework!!!

Usually I only get 6 hours sleep, and homework is worth very little of a person's grade usually.

And I hate tedious homework.

Anything that's like, write an outline of this chapter, and make sure to include your thoughts on another page with the same number of pages as your outline.

I mean, who the hell thinks. Certainly not me.

I hate some of the favoritism (spelling?) I see around school, especially now at the university level. I'm not talking about affirmative action, I have nothing against that, but in-class favoritism in regards to grades.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

I hate school mostly this semester because its just the same crap i've been doing year in and year out but "slightly harder".

I also have disliked the way some of my classes are taught. Oh well, most likely going to Full Sail next year anyways... :wink:

Oh, and hopefully your school will get that resolved insane. That would suck, horribly.

I somewhat like school. I don't mind it one bit. :)

What I don't like, are boring teachers who just give lectures, instead of teaching you :(

+1, i just hate teachers that loves to waste clas time talking to other students and giving useless lectures repeated like 10+ times ugh. :x

i like school cuz, freedom (well sort of...), someone i can actually talk to, moving around ea period, and keeping myself occupied.

i HATE SPANISH CLASS!!! all the teacher know is giving exam without even teaching it....... of course.. we fial every test lol

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

Well cause im from Finland but I go to english school there is many, many reasons...

We don't have the lessons what we should have they are totally mixed, there is 3classes to teach for one techer and it's really hard to learn something cause we have 5th,6th and the 7th graders at the same room and the whole thing is A BIG MESS!

But sometimes it's ok, mostly when the teacher is away :roll:

I go to a Catholic Jesuit school.

I HATE religion in schools. I don't mind the work, but getting religion shoved down your throat in high school... ack.

Ditto, but I do love seeing my RE teacher crap himself whenever I have a question, i'm the gooner who always finds the religous plot holes..

Also, when a teacher expects you to have a large piece of coursework done in a week. This wouldn't be too difficult, but you have another 3 expecting the same thing.

vincent.jpg

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Final Fantasy

Currently Listening To ~ Hotel California / The Eagles

i HATE SPANISH CLASS!!! all the teacher know is giving exam without even teaching it....... of course.. we fial every test lol

Yeah I hate spanish too. We have this big speaking test tomorrow on stuff we havn't reviewed for more than a week.

sublimer1990.png