First cars

MPM

I still got 7 months till i can drive, but i'l inherit the family 1990 mazda 121. Runs like a charm! just got a new paint job and a full check over, new tires etc. Manual, which is gonna be fun :P

The only thing wrong with it is that the stereo's screen is broken, so that's the first thing i'll change, and someone stuck a volvo badge on the bonnet, the words lol, so i'll have to get that off :lol:

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too much "fast and the furious"- movies apparently.
I mean street cars in general. From your standard sedan, right up to your multi-million dollar concept cars. Don't get me wrong, I have no real problem with them - I just can't see the enjoyment in them :-? All well and good that some of them can go fast. But how often are they actually going to be going at speeds they are capable of? Just makes no sense sometimes.

And I simply won't comment on owners of 4-wheel drives, but have never taken them off road.

I mean street cars in general. From your standard sedan, right up to your multi-million dollar concept cars. Don't get me wrong, I have no real problem with them - I just can't see the enjoyment in them :-? All well and good that some of them can go fast. But how often are they actually going to be going at speeds they are capable of? Just makes no sense sometimes.

And I simply won't comment on owners of 4-wheel drives, but have never taken them off road.

I can't fathom it either. Speed limit is 65 in most places, but people love these cars that go 200 mph. *Shrug*

I like off-road trucks better, but gas is too expensive 'round this way. :P <10MPG = suck.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Its a status symbol more than anything. Although there are plenty of stupid people who love to speed on a regular basis. Its just not for me..

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Its a status symbol more than anything. Although there are plenty of stupid people who love to speed on a regular basis. Its just not for me..

I speed over 90 a few times but I never do it a lot (you never know when a cop could be driving by or hiding )

I do not see why so many people choose old American cars. More often then not they are simply rubbish, even the newer American cars are lagging behind their European and Japanese competitors. For a used car I would not go past Japanese. For a 4WD I would not go past Nissan or Toyota (maybe Isuzu).

You americans are wussies not driving manually :twisted: ! Where I come from, only women drive automatic.... And suck at it :twisted:

Automatics do have advantages over manuals for most driving conditions. Unless you know when to change gears (most people don,t) Automatics are simply the better option. To often I get stuck behind people driving manuals who change to late or early and slowing everyone else down. It is even worst when they are also driving a 1.2L Korean thing which is underpowered to start with.

The main areas where Manuals hold a clear advantage is on steep downhill where they offer greater control and superior engine breaking, and in scenarios where slow speed maneuvering is required. Under most other occasions there is little difference between the two systems or automatic is superior.

I find street cars quite fun to drive on windy roads with heaps of corners. But as you are from Australia all of your roads are straight and lack corners.

4-wheel drive owners who never take them off road are great, they are the main source for quality used vehicles. No one in their right mind would want to take a $90,000 new land cruiser through the scrub and gorse.

I like off-road trucks better, but gas is too expensive 'round this way. :P <10MPG = suck.

I find my one, cheaper to drive then my previous car which was a 2L petrol. If forgotten my current one is a 3L diesel. With petrols there is always the option to convert to LPG which I believe is quite inexpensive compared with petrol.

I find street cars quite fun to drive on windy roads with heaps of corners. But as you are from Australia all of your roads are straight and lack corners.

4-wheel drive owners who never take them off road are great, they are the main source for quality used vehicles. No one in their right mind would want to take a $90,000 new land cruiser through the scrub and gorse.

I love windy roads too. Once I get the insurance back on my car (in the spring) and there's no ice on the roads I'm going to have some fun on the windy roads near me ::'

And where I live a lot of people own 4-wheel drive vehicles because they're better around here in the winter, not to go off road. Though when I was younger my parents took me and my bro on vacation to Colorado where we took our old Explorer off road. Fun stuff, but like you said, no way in hell someone is going to take a $90,000 vehicle off road with a chance of damaging it.

We've got out windy roads too... they're just out in the middle of nowhere and generally have at least one truck going 5km/hr along it. Or some fool struggling in their manual because they changed to the wrong gear at the wrong time.

I mainly mean people who buy them to "haul their kids around". If they want to do that, get a station wagon or van.

Yea, ironically most people who buy 4x4's brand spanking new are those who drive it only in the city and have no valid reason to own one in the first place when a street car would've done a much better job.

On the side, I know a lot of people who have purchanced Land Cruisers and such brand new and the first day out took them for a run off road.

My first vehicle was a 1977 Chevy Cheyenne Regular cab lwb.

I bought it for 1,500 it had just gotten the interior re-done and looked very good, it was clean, had a straight body and original paint.

It also had a new engine, which unfortunately was a piece of crud and I ended up working on the vehicle every spare minute I had. But it was my first vehicle and a great experience.

~Alduron

swordsig16zk.gif

I'm much happier driving a car that I know is my own, runs great, and I enjoy driving. It's not particularly fast, but it gets me around safely.

Mine is the 3L diesel and I had it up to 160km/hr, the the speedometer only goes up to 160km/hr.

They are great vehicles and so versatile with so much room, plus with a few modifications they are excellent off road. The IFS versions also are nice and comfy to ride. It is also plenty of room in the boot to sleep in, I would choose one over a van any day.

Mine tops out at 108 mph, and it takes a whole lot of road to get there. Oh if only a diesel Helix Surf could be registered in America... I wish I could get a hold of one. One option is to get a diesel engine and convert an American 4Runner to work with it, but again it won't pass emissions.

I have a Nissan Skyline which my parents bought for me in college during my year and also an Acura RSX 2001

autopixx-de-1124816002-78.jpg

my skyline is similar to this one but just different colors

Speaking of getting cars registered in America, how was it getting that Skyline registered here? As far as I know there's only one company in the United States, Motorex out of California, that can get them legally converted to work in the United States. But it's always possible to drive a car that can't be registered, as long as you don't get caught...

peterstretchfn5.gif

I'm much happier driving a car that I know is my own, runs great, and I enjoy driving. It's not particularly fast, but it gets me around safely.

Mine is the 3L diesel and I had it up to 160km/hr, the the speedometer only goes up to 160km/hr.

They are great vehicles and so versatile with so much room, plus with a few modifications they are excellent off road. The IFS versions also are nice and comfy to ride. It is also plenty of room in the boot to sleep in, I would choose one over a van any day.

Mine tops out at 108 mph, and it takes a whole lot of road to get there. Oh if only a diesel Helix Surf could be registered in America... I wish I could get a hold of one. One option is to get a diesel engine and convert an American 4Runner to work with it, but again it won't pass emissions.

I am surprised that you can not get a diesel 4runners locally. Diesel is so much better... at least in my opinion.

Have you considered getting a LPG conversion down to your petrol engine. Make it dual-fuel. The running costs for LPG is much better then petrol (atleast in NZ), and it is cleaner.

I have a Nissan Skyline which my parents bought for me in college during my year and also an Acura RSX 2001

autopixx-de-1124816002-78.jpg

my skyline is similar to this one but just different colors

Speaking of getting cars registered in America, how was it getting that Skyline registered here? As far as I know there's only one company in the United States, Motorex out of California, that can get them legally converted to work in the United States. But it's always possible to drive a car that can't be registered, as long as you don't get caught...

I wondered the same thing. Here in Minnesota, they're illegal to drive no matter what. I've heard several different reasons why, so I'm not entirely sure.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Mine's a 1984 Toyota Camry with 108k miles on it.

Oil Leaks

Some sort of a crust of paint over the tail-lights, makes them look horrible

Horrible spotty paint, rust spots...

Sunroof doesn't work

Passenger Windo & Driver's Window no longer works

No side mirror thing on passenger side

Air Conditioner doesn't work

Must hold onto handle when closing the driver's door or it will unlock itself upon closing

Radio no longer works since I accidentially knocked over my mailbox and broke off the entire antennae...

Shakes when you go past 60, and I mean horribly shakes...

Trunk sometimes doesn't open....

Many other things wrong with it, and I still can't drive by myself since I haven't got my 50 hours of driving and therefore haven't taken my test...and I'm almost freaking 17!!!

t3hshabster.png