Prevent Scamming ~ 5 Second Delay

Sportzmaniac

Scamming is a huge problem. Lots of people never take the time to check the second screen. After a long day of trying to find that special item, your extremely excited to have found it. Then you click past the second screen, not even glancing at the words written there. Suddenly, all your money or items are gone, and in replace are virtually nothing. What if Jagex created a 5 second delay after both players hit accept? It would give people that extra chance to check if they are being scammed. I personally believe it would bring down scamming a lot. Please offer thoughts and improvements.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Philly Eagles all the way!!!

Rock kills rap!!

"Are you gonna live before you die?"

Or, people could have enough intelligence to check the second trade screen. It really isn't that hard. The second trade screen in it's self, is a scam prevention. Just take 5 seconds to check the screen BEFORE you click accept. Honestly, it's not that hard.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Or, people could have enough intelligence to check the second trade screen.

You'd think so, unfortunately intelligence isn't the average Runescaper's strong point :roll:

A 5 second delay after an item is put up for trade would be much more effective, because most trade scams are done by quick changes on the first screen, if they had to wait 5 seconds to click accept after the change, it wouldn't be a problem.

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

I disagree only because there are times (runecrafting) when trading quick can be important.

People should check the second screen.

Although tbh one time I wa runecrafting and accidentally gave some random guy all of my essence instead of 25. :?

I disagree only because there are times (runecrafting) when trading quick can be important.

Although tbh one time I wa runecrafting and accidentally gave some random guy all of my essence instead of 25. :?

rc the way it was ment to be done then and dont use runners.

ever had that problem, where you are 2 hits away from dying from poison, and your friend is right there with a anti poison to give to you. Imagine if you had to wait 5 seconds, that could be enough to kill you

Dude, you have 35 Runecrafting. Who's to say that using runners is not how it was intended? Just because it's faster, and easier, and all around smarter, permitting you can afford it, of course - doesn't mean it's not the right way.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I think it is a great idea.

Maybe you yourself always look at 2nd trade screen but put your self in shoes of a new player.

I remember when I was still new to the game I tried so hard to get some armour only to be scammed few days after recieving it. I was so excited because they put up much more than worth (only to change it as I eagerly accept).

I think 5 second delay would help reduce scamming overall quite a bit.

Would have helped me in that instance, that is sure...

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Dude, you have 35 Runecrafting. Who's to say that using runners is not how it was intended? Just because it's faster, and easier, and all around smarter, permitting you can afford it, of course - doesn't mean it's not the right way.

I have an acc with high runecrafting.

I doubt jagex had intended for an entire skill to be standing at an alter trading with people.

Besides, people who do not check the second trade screen would simply be irritated by this update, and would be clicking feverishly on the "Accept" button impatiently waiting for the five seconds to be up. If they were idiotic enough to not check the second trade screen in the first place, no update can convince them without disadvantaging us all to a great degree.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

The second trade screen is more than enough -.- it's actually the impatience of people that makes them so easy to scam.

Off-topic: I discovered one advantage of lag. Today in World 1, I was lagging so bad I saw how the items: 10k yew logs changed from 10k willows...and it changed in slow motion 8-)

Lag ftw!

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

• 2 weeks later...

if people aren't smart enough to check the second screen everytime they trade they shouldn't play runescape, because they would just be in the bank begging for money because they just got scammed out of like 9k worth of items, i think that people should just take the time to look at the second screen, i would rather take the time to check than be sorry later...

~ Hunter

Manatea3O5, the guy who posts replies without reading others

mr+manatea.png

People should learn it the hard way and not get scammed again.

Thats how I learned :oops:

I disagree with the author. Its not my fault for some idiots who dont check the screen.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I doubt jagex had intended for an entire skill to be standing at an alter trading with people.

Yeah, I guess they intended the entire skill to be based on working off those carbs walking back and forth between an alter and the bank a few thousand times.

Anyways, this idea would be appropriate, but maybe only for lower levels and if you decided to put a cb level you had to reach before this is taken away, then it would inconvenience pure skillers quite considerabley. At the best this idea should be implemented, have it so you need to pass a combat level of 20, or a total skill level of 100, before you have the option of removing the trade window.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Or, people could have enough intelligence to check the second trade screen. It really isn't that hard. The second trade screen in it's self, is a scam prevention. Just take 5 seconds to check the screen BEFORE you click accept. Honestly, it's not that hard.

Agreed. 5 second delay would just slow down trade. Seriously, if people don't want to get scammed, they should help themselves and check the screen themselves. Personally I think if someone gets scammed because they didnt check the screen... they'll learn a lesson from it and it won't happen again. Nowadays people are playing RS at a faster and faster pace. I don't think a delay would be welcomed.