Success or Failure capes?

Jorgen

On 18th October, Jagex introduced us Accomplishment capes. There are 23 capes as of now, with Quest cape. Players hoped a lot with those capes, yet they found out that they're not that, as they should be. Fire cape still gives better bonuses, yet fire cape takes 2 hours of time, 99 capes months, maybe even years. One thing thing that is good about the skill capes, although trimmed ones, that they give +4 prayer bonus. I see more people wear skill capes now, instead of fire capes or obsidian capes. Skill capes still symbolize the maxed skill or skills of yours.

Were the capes more likely a failure or success?

firecapestatsfg2.png

And to compare trimmed achievement cape:

capesey1.png

You see the difference between a 2 hours work and months/years of work?

damage112bs4.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've said it before, but with most capes, there's no real challenge. Does it take skill to sit at a fire, cooking sharks for hours on end? No. How about sticking a harpoon in the water? No. With fire capes, you have to fight your way through wave after wave of monsters, leading up to a confrontation with the highest leveled monster in Runescape, that even the most able-bodied warriors cannot defeat. I think it only makes sense that the fire cape is better.

To summarize, for me: skill capes = time, fire cape = skill.

I also think the the fire cape should have the better bonus. As Ddrmaster7 said, it doesn't really take a lot of "effort", just time.

I, personally, will never have a fire cape. I've tried about 6 times now. To the Jad, 5 times, and never got him past half-health. The healers always mess up my rhythm. And after the 6th time, I realized I wasn't having any fun with the mini-game. Fighting all those waves of monsters, just to have to restart over a simple mistake. No thanks. :notalk:

So to me, anyone with a fire cape deserves the better bonus.

Another point, is that the Achievment capes are more of a status symbol in my opinion.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Skill capes show your prowess in that skill, not in combat. So with the exception of a few capes (all combat skills and slayer), the stats seem fine.

The real failure is in the combat capes. You'd think a prayer cape would give a prayer bonus, or a defense cape would give extra defense, or strength would give a strength bonus, etc. But Jagex didn't. I think they should upgrade each of the capes to give bonuses to their skills, and not just the combat ones. Maybe agility could have a -10 kg weight, or the runecrafting cape could hold essence like an equipable pouch.

Anyway, a fire cape shows more skill than a skill cape. A bot could get almost all the capes. Does that show skill?

blurredsigla2.jpg

Yeah, that's the thing. Making the cash to buy the "easiest" 99 skill takes a lot of time and skill, IMO.

Everything in RS is time and luck based, so we're really drawing an artificial distinction here. Yes, I'd even say that fire cape fights are.

Fire cape requires much skill. You gotta train quite hard to earn your stats, and it's not really something you can buy, such as cooking, firemaking, or fletching. Plus, what does a 99 herblore cape do to show that you're a great fighter?

It doesn't. The Fire Cape does. Ergo, it's a combat cape... it gets higher combat bonuses.

Anyway, a fire cape shows more skill than a skill cape. A bot could get almost all the capes. Does that show skill?

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

Well, yeah... seems all these discussions on the Rants boards break down to "This or That". But I'm not saying that a 99 cape isn't hard to get.

On one hand, you gotta train multiple skills quite high, as well as having a good bit of cash, to get a Fire Cape.

But on the other hand, you've got up to years of hard training to get a Skill Cape. You have to have high dedication (and sometimes, a deep wallet :XD: ) and be able to stick with it for awhile. Especially goes for the harder, not purchasable skills like Mining and Thieving.

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

Skill capes that are trimmed are good for those who can't afford to get a fire cape, or don't have the time. Other than that there is no point in them...

well today at 11:30 am 14 years ago i was born.. wo0t!!!
At 11:30 you should start holding your head underwater wo0t!!!
Stop acting such a moron.

so getting 110+ combat and 9 mil for guthans, 1 mil for c bow, lots of pots and food doesnt compare to getting 1 99 skill?
+++++1 !!!!! Yes the actually fighting that takes place is around 2 hours, but it takes plenty more time to get all of those combat skills up to be high enough to complete the mini-game that it does to get one skill to a 99. Also (for most people) it takes atleast that amount of time you spent combat training, as it does to get all of the money for the necessary supplies to complete the Caves.

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

Also with the fire cape, as opposed to training for a skill cape, each time you don't succeed, all you've done is really lost time and supplies.

2 hours in the fight caves, only to die at the Jad, and you're right back at the beginning, with less supplies. Maybe a little more combat xp, but you're not there for the combat xp (as there would be faster ways and use less supplies than fight caves).

While 2 hours of mining, only to lose connection. What have you lost? Nothing. You still have 2 hours worth of xp that you were working towards. The only amount of time you lose, is the time to log back in.

Overall, the fire cape may be achieved quicker than a skill cape. But you don't have to redo or start over any point while training a skill at least.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

so getting 110+ combat and 9 mil for guthans, 1 mil for c bow, lots of pots and food doesnt compare to getting 1 99 skill?

Actually, these days that can be debated, these days pures with knowledge and experience how to beat the fight caves, could actually do it without the need of a high combat level, and guthans isn't even necessary either to beat the fight caves.

Personally, I do think the fire cape and the skill capes are equal in a sense. Skill capes require a large amount of time, money, patience, and a fair amount of knowledge of the skill. (Slayer, for example, has many, many monsters which can require a vast knowledge of their weaknesses and locations)

While the fire cape, does take a fair amount of time to earn as well. Training up your stats, actually earning the cash to get the materials necessary in order to beat the mini-game, and finally the skill/knowledge to actually live through the on-going waves of enemies.

To sum up, they're both successes in my opinion. Because this actually gives everyone (dedicated enough) to show off a cape they can truely be proud of, especially if they're not a fan of a certain skill, they get the chance to get a cape they'll enjoy. :thumbsup:

Whats all this garbage about having to train and spend money on fire cape, within a week of it being out fancy__fancy a lvl 66 with 43 range and 71 prayer had the cape. PMG he spent a lot of time and money on that!!

The fire cape just takes a good net connection, nothing more, any one who doesnt lag can do it easily with 43 prayer and 70 range, i have done it myself on my rune pure twice he is 47 def 52 prayer and 74 range.

I think you might have slightly missed the point of the newer capes. That being that thier function is to demonstrate to everyone that you have a level 99 in that skill. They are basicaly to "show off" - as is demonstrated by thier special function being an emote rather than any real bonus (apart from that +1 level lift). The fire cape is achieved by combat, so should be combat based. It also discriminates slightly less between richer and poorer players - 99 fletching is a doddle to get, form a level 3 character. You can get it in a few weeks, if you have the starting cash. The Fire cape is quite alot harder to get when you consider the total xp, spread across many skills, that is required.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

The capes weren't introduced for added bonusses, they were added to show off, to proof to the world that you indeed had a 99 skill. The firecape works the same way, it shows that you are able to kill the strongest monster in the game. Be it with high combat and guthans, or with a special trick at lower levels, you did it.

However, there are easy skills, and harder skills, and I believe the firecape is somewere in the middle, it's harder to get then let's say cooking or fletching, but easier then agility or herblore, even tough cooking and fletching will probely cost more..

I believe the capes were a success, everyone likes showing off abit, and those that don't want that just don't buy one. The skill capes give you a neat animation and some hidden cool thingies (like the crafting cape: you can eneter the crafting guild with the cape, without needing the brown apron).

The point is that in skills, you can't suddenly lose all of your work and start at 0 exp. The achievment capes are gained over a long amount of time, and they're easily regainable. Though the firecape, if you die with it you have to go through the entire minigame again, wasting food, pots and weapon charges.

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

A fire cape doesn't take 2 hours.

It takes lot's of time to get your combat up and earn money for the equipment. AND it takes skills.

Even if you are lvl 126 you still can get killed by jad.

Well, show me where I pointed out that getting the skills and proper gear takes 2 hours? The fight caves itself takes 2 hours.

damage112bs4.gif

It's these kind of topics I love. People are complaining over some item having +2 over another harder-to-get item.

+2 isn't gonna make much difference in whether you live or die. You need to be getting into +50 or +100 before damage becomes an issue. Really, it doesn't matter which is better because at such high levels of defense bonus we obtain already with just rune armor, +2 isn't gonna do squat to whether someone will live or die.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat