Out of all the awards out there, whats the most prestigious?

trapical

The Nobel Prize. A Pulitzer. An Oscar for best Actor. A Superbowl Ring or a World Cup trophy... There are dozens or awards, trophies, medals, etc that people would kill to own. Own one of these and people look up to you, it's something your family (or country) will be forever proud of.

Question is, which one is the the Cr̮̬̉̉me de la cr̮̬̉̉me? The king of all trophies? The common answer is "well it depends... there all completely different!" Yes I know that, but that's not the point. If your future son/daughter was to get one of these in the future, what would you be the most proud of?

It was hard for me to choose my top 3, but after a while I pulled it together. My 4th runner up was an Olympic Gold Medal. My top three are as follows:

3.Academy Award (Oscar) - I'm not talking about one of those side ones for Best Sound Editing, I mean a real one. Best Director, Best Actor, something with meaning. The Oscars are the most watched award show in the world and winning one of these brings international lifelong fame.

2. Nobel Prize - The Nobel Prize, over 100 years old. Peace, Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Literature. Winning one of these tells you that at that moment you are the single most important person in that field. It is a prize that rewards a lifetime of work that benefits humanity. This international and immortal award is so powerful that hearing that you won one would make any man cry.

1.Congressional Medal of Honor Unlike nearly all other awards, having this one shows that you put your very life on the line for your friends and country. It's hard for me to describe the meaning of this medal. I'm sure you have all seen them on TV, movies, etc, and a lot of you are probably baffled he as to why something like this could possibly beat the international Nobel or an Olympic Gold. Well clearly those people haven't seen someone who won it in person.

I work as a banquet server part time in the summer and in December. Last year on December 7th there was a formal Veteran's Ball that we were catering, everyone there was over 70 and was a WWII vet. As I was walking with a tray I passed a man in a tuxedo standing next to a table, he had a certain definite aura about him, my neck hairs stood on end and I just stopped walking. He turned and immediately viable was a blue ribbon with a gold star tied tightly to his neck. I had never seen a Medal of Honor before and I previously didn't even know what one looked like, but one look at the thing and I simply just knew. I looked at the man's face, who looked right in my eyes. I had the sudden urge to shake this man's hand but my job didn't allow it so I just said "Sir" and bowed my head a little. He just nodded slightly and I hastily turned away as went back to my duties but couldn't help that both of us got teary eyed from the encounter.

Well what about you guys? Top 3 awards?

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

1. Medal of honor. No explanation really needed here.

2. Olympic Gold. The peak of sports so to speak.

3. Nobel Prize. Again, the peak of inteligence.

But IMO, nothing comes close to the medal of honor.

Well since Im not American Ill swap the Medal of Honor for the Victoria Cross (the UK equivalant, which has also been awarded far fewer times).

Out of the 3 I'd go with the Nobel Prize (excluding the economics and literature prizes) as it shows that you have made a permanent mark on the world by helping us understand our world or by furthering the knowledge of man.

An Academy Award would be great recognition of work if I was in the movie industry but beyond that it is quite a insignificant in the grand scale of things.

I wouldn't be too keen on receiving a VC as most are given posthumously for acts of selfless bravery in combat, personally I would rather to be alive. Its unusual for a VC to be given to a living person but it can happen, so that makes it extremely prestigious. Added to that, VC recipients to my knowledge are the only people who the reigning Monarch must bow to (Im sure thats right but its 2nd hand knowledge so forgive me if its false).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

This is like comparing apples to oranges. What makes an athlete better than an actor? they are both just entertainers that we can live without.

And keep in mind that soldiers could not do half of the stuff that they do without the technology that allows them to do so. This comes from scientists. Yet, the scientists could not do their scientific work if they are not safe, and they must be protected by the soliders.

You just can't argue this....

This is like comparing apples to oranges. What makes an athlete better than an actor? they are both just entertainers that we can live without.

And keep in mind that soldiers could not do half of the stuff that they do without the technology that allows them to do so. This comes from scientists. Yet, the scientists could not do their scientific work if they are not safe, and they must be protected by the soliders.

You just can't argue this....

I know what you mean, but look past that. The question was "If your future son/daughter was to get one of these in the future, what would you be the most proud of?"

Field doesn't matter, its prestige of having it in your family

For me it is,

3. Olympic Gold Medal.

2. Nobel Prize.

And I completely agree with you on

1. The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Interesting topic, by the way. :D I would absolutely love to see a Medal of Honor up close... More importantly, one who has earned it.

3898000bYVcx.png

Nobel prizes arnt that prestiguous... Loads of people reject them because they dont want to be awarded it, and lets not forget that Hitler was nominated once too.

The Victoria Cross is probably the highest possible award in the world.

Other than that I guess I respect the Emmies, moreso than the Oscars which just nominate each other, and also the Olympic Golds.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Nobel prizes arnt that prestiguous... Loads of people reject them because they dont want to be awarded it, and lets not forget that Hitler was nominated once too.

The Victoria Cross is probably the highest possible award in the world.

Other than that I guess I respect the Emmies, moreso than the Oscars which just nominate each other, and also the Olympic Golds.

Emmies look a lot cooler to. The San Fransisco airport has a display about sound and video and at the end are an Oscar and a Emmy for Best Sound. The oscar is smaller and so polished you can barly tell it's a man, looks like a piller of gold with a head. The Emmy on the other hand is huge, over twice as big. It's very intricately carved and that sphere the angel is holding looks unnaturally perfect in shape. Picture

I agree with the Victoria Cross, unbelieve prestige with that one.

I'd like to point out that people always neglect to mention the Fields Medal. It's a medal awarded once every four years, and only to mathematicians under 40, making it a little more exclusive than the Nobel Prize.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

For academic excellent, the Nobel Peace Prize is definately the most impressive.

The Oscar is clear the best for acting.

The Pulitzer? I despise journalists with every bone in my body. They should only be issued this reward by delivering it with a short sharp blow... to the head preferrably ;)

Harrington.gif

1. Nobel Prize

2. Victoria Cross

3. Olympic Gold

:thumbsup:

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

So what if Hitler was nominated? In a time when Hitler was a figure of adoration in Germany it's hardly suprising that there was someone who wanted to nominate him. He didn't win it, and even the nomination was retracted.

Out of 781 awarded prizes, 7 have been declined, 4 of which are commonly listed as people who have been forced to decline them (by governments, etc).

So we get 3 people who have actually chosen to decline them.

Out of 781.

0.38%.

Loads?

I think the most prestigious award out there has to be the Darwin award. :lol:

OK so maby the Congressional Medal of Honor is more like it. 8-)

91% percent of the people polled said they were liers. The other 9% lied to us.