The complete "Should F2P get updates?" Debate! 5,000 views!

Buckeyemange

My Opinion:

Almost ALL members are GREEDY!

How would it POSSIBLY effect ANY member if the F2P's Get 1 Measly Update a YEAR!

...Now...how many do we members get a year?....48....So that would make a diffrence of....47 Updates! Is one update a year for them really that bad? that you all have to go whining about how they get more? Really!

untitled6kv7.gifnightgunner.gif

Nightgunner.gif

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you have to understand is that Jagex is a business. They aren't doing this for fun, they are doing this for profit*. The sole goal is to create a game that players will enjoy, but get the players' money in the process.

With that in mind, the idea to give updates to F2P (which exists as a great trial version for the real game) is abusrd. Jagex isn't stupid, they know how to run their business. Like I said before, F2P is only a trial - and F2Pers should consider themselves lucky that they have what they have, most online game trials are extremely limited.

Bottom line - pay up or shut up (sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how it is).

*Not to make Jagex out to be evil or anything.

I know since I'm F2p, i say we should get updates. Not as much as members, but Even though P2P pays for more, dosn't mean that F2p can't get the occasional update once or at least twice in a month. I mean, if they indeed pulled out F2p, what would you think would happen? So many F2ps would probably say "screw it, this game bites". Others on the other hand probably will go to members. But if they don't give updates in a little while, it'll become boring because of the same thing over and over again. F2p deserves to have more updates. I mean, we also contribute to a part of the Runscape population and community.

I know paying gives more benefits, but give us some chances. F2p deserves to be treated more nicely. Okay, stronghold of security and other things were added that were good, but I mean, that's it so far? I am ashamed of Jagex, forgetting about us F2ps. We deserve a more often update, dont'cha think? :P

This statement is true. Below is false.

This statement is false. Above is true.

Both statements above are contrapositive.

The below is false.

Life's a mystery... ain't it? You know math... figure it out.

I think there should be some shared updates, other than graphics. I know that my sister would stop being jealous if she got updates once in a while. Also, if the earlier numbers were correct, the free players contribute SOME money through advertisements, so they should get SOME updates. FYI, I'm a member, so don't say it's just sour grapes. It's a question of fairness. Also, something that might work is if f2p gets access to members stuff say...a year later. I don't think we'd care if they get access to the stupid "Tower of Life" or the updates everyone flames on Runescape Forums as unworthy of members. Afterall, if we think they're "unworthy", shouldn't f2p be able to have them?

Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.

I'm pure f2p and I like the way they update us now.

We're getting graphic updates which I like the most <3:

I don't say that we don't deserve an update or two :twisted:

Looking forward to Varrock update!

Since most supplies that members get are from f2p'ers i wouldn't talk about closing f2p. Have you ever noticed that there are more lobbies, willows, iron and coal than anything else in the market? Care to guess why? 8-)

Yes some members do get loads of those items but since:

nÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú of members playing Runescape < nÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú of f2p'ers playing Runescape

O:)

Persaonally, i don't really thing key should get updates, since they don't pay, and the adverts hardly count since nobody looks at them, plus members are the ones giving feedback. $5 a month isn't much...thats like 17 cents a day, so i don't really agree with the not enough money thing...plus i didn't get like any decent updates as a nonmemb, became a member, and am happy the way it is.

~Drop the Dagger and Laugh at the Blood on Your Hands~

F2P are lucky they get to play at all

look at world of warcraft...you get a 10 day free trial and then you either have to buy the game or never play again. most of the people end up buying the game and their membership is 3 or 4 times as much as ours. they also have to buy the software and the expansion pack. all of that to play the game after a 10 day free demo.

if jagex did that...most people wouldnt get to play period...so be happy with what u have

Quit RuneScape :)

erkid"]F2P are lucky they get to play at all

look at world of warcraft...you get a 10 day free trial and then you either have to buy the game or never play again. most of the people end up buying the game and their membership is 3 or 4 times as much as ours. they also have to buy the software and the expansion pack. all of that to play the game after a 10 day free demo.

if jagex did that...most people wouldnt get to play period...so be happy with what u have

But then again, there are those other MMO's which are entirely free. And they manage to stay in business.

Tetsuya.png

But then again, there are those other MMO's which are entirely free. And they manage to stay in business.

Well some of those games have good advertisement deals.

Jagex could, if they really wanted to, make the game entirely free. They would still make a fair income with ads.

Just think, right now the homepage and F2P screens have ads on them. Well if Jagex made the game entirely F2P all screens would have ads AND many more people would play the game, thus increasing the amount of pages there could be advertisements on.

The same logic works with Internet jobs. Some websites pay you to sit around and click on ads that come up on their page. You are making a few cents per ad you click, but imagine what the people who set up those sites are making. The price it costs to advertise on a site comes with the amount of people who come to that site per day. Extra money comes in when the ads are clicked on, so inturn, those websites are making a lot of money off of you.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

I've always been a F2P,

and I know that Jagex's goal is to make money, just as every buisness's goal is to, but the majority of the players are F2P. We should at least get updates once in a while. Maybe a new quest here and there, and all F2Ps can use a bit of bank space. And non members should be able to make a few more runes for rune crafting. (up to chaos would be fair)

F2Ps should definately get a bit more stuff :|

I believe F2P should get some updates such as quests and others. Players who P2P should get the most updates because they do pay not likely F2P users. But Remember this F2P leads to P2P. All new people who plays runescape start out to be F2P and if they don't find this game not intresting then people might quit.

Runescape Username: P K E R Z3 | Type Of Pure: Tank Ranger | Combat Level: 36

P K E R Z3 Short Long Goal

single_skill1165295352.png

P K E R Z3 Topics

-Currently None-[/size:2

F2P do get occasional updates, they just aren't the updates you want. Graphics, music, etc. little things to make the game a bit better aesthetically don't really add to the actual gameplay, but they are updates none the less.

Again, there were 3 updates for F2p in 2006, that added actual content.

New prayers - which just as easily could have been made members.

New bank in Lumby - now almost every city in F2P has a bank.

Stronghold of Security - which included 4 new monsters to train on.

F2P will eventually get updates, it's just not on any set schedule. If you enjoy the game for free, then getting an eventual update is worth it. If not having updates is "ruining" the game for you, then you have choices. Pay, accept it or find another free game that does update their free version.

I have yet to see a post saying why F2P should get updates, but plenty of reasons why they want to get updates.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Those games *all* have in game shops where players can buy items for money.

I think they should get snare, because Mage is underpowered in f2p (melle hits 32s and mage is stuck with 16...)

And maybe tele block (muahahaha!)

I also considered fletching (addy arrows and maple bows, add a maple tree maybe...)

But if any of those happen to f2p, it will probaly be snare, I mean, Bind is next to useless.

meh, I'll go copy and paste signature from other sites when I feel like it lol.

On the part where you sayed, "We give money by looking at the ads!" I'm sure no one looks at the ads for more then 5 seconds just to see what they say. Now the P2Pers accutaly pay with their own hard worked money, out of their pocket. Now $5 a month really isnt that much. If you do chores around the house, I'm sure you get $5+ a day for doing chores. So about $5 a week with 7 days in a week, thats abot $45 dollars. That is 7 months right there with 7 days of work! Now how hard is that... And don't say "Well Jagex has about 200k+ players that pay $5 a month so 200k time 5 = blah blah" Well if Jagex let one person be a member for free then I think everyone else would rant about this.

Click here for my Falador World 2 Bank/Park and Price Guide

Clicky click for Recipe for Disaster Weapons and Gloves Guide!

Proud owner of a Woodcutting Cape - Sunday, Febuary 11th, 2007

Proud owner of a Flecthing Cape - Sunday December 16th, 2007

F2P should get updates, they have just as much right to play the game and enjoy it like us P2P players. They should get updates but just maybe not a often and as big due to the fact that they dont actually pay for the game.

i%20a9ility%20i.gif

agilcape,i%20a9ility%20i.gif

Now $5 a month really isnt that much. If you do chores around the house, I'm sure you get $5+ a day for doing chores. So about $5 a week with 7 days in a week, thats abot $45 dollars. That is 7 months right there with 7 days of work! Now how hard is that...

Daily money for doing chores? :shock: Those must be some generous parents. When I was younger I didn't even get an allowance.

Tetsuya.png

I am pure F2p and I have had my account since Jan 2002.

I actually like f2p as it is but i don't like members because it's "easier" than f2p.

That's why i don't want anything changed in f2p, maybe more bank space, that's all I'll ever need.

So.. for me it's not "pay and get updates".

If you had to pay for f2p and members would be free, I would choose to pay for f2p.

Ya, that means I'm paying to not get updates and stuff members get every week.

I would like to have another account that I would make a member but I don't have the time to play on 2 accounts.

Updates I like in f2p are the graphical updates because they do not make it easier or harder to train a skill.

I am not saying that i don't want any updates, I'm just saying that i don't care if f2p don't get any updates.

I just like it as it is right now!

I love f2p! <3:

Going to sleep now... Good Night!

I think F2P runescape does need some updates. Some more bank space for starters. There is hardly enough space to keep our regular training items along with random event clothing. If you are lucky and get all the random event clothing, It takes up 19 spaces! That is a huge chunk of the bank space. To my knowledge, there have been no updates to free to play bank space. With all the new items we get like a holiday item every year and those sceptre pieces, we need more bank spaces. It would really help out the players and show the F2P players that Jagex does help out the players. It will make players think Jagex cares about it's players and wants to help them. This might encourage more players to become members.

There should also be some motivation to report macroers. Most F2Pers don't report macroers because they think it is pointless. I mean, I was at the Port Sarim fishing shop. On almost every world, there is at least one macroer in the store. I reported one and thought it would be banned some time soon. I go back there half an hour later, and it is still there. I decide to put it on my friends list and track it. It stay's logged on for almost all day. I keep logging on every day, and it is at that same world. I go to check at the fishing store, and sure enough, there is a green dot in the store. That one macroer stayed at that store for about two weeks at my counting. At the yew trees near Rimmington, there are like 3-4 there at a time. I reported all of them, and about two days later, they were still there hacking away at the yews and than running back to Falador to bank the yews. If there was a way to get F2Pers to want to report macroers, there might be less of a problem. Maybe they should put in some propaganda ads to persuade players to report them and to persuade players if you macro, you will be banned very rapidly. Not a few weeks after you have transfered the items off and sold the account.

Some things shouldn't be F2P like posting on the official forums. They are very bad as they are. If F2P was allowed access, it would probably just be a horrid spam hole. That is one example of a P2P only feature that should not be F2P because of the immature nature of a few F2Pers. Not all though.

Some equipment slots are completely useless on F2P. Ring slots, they are almost entirely useless. The only semi-useful ring F2P has is the easter ring, but it doesn't give any benefits to smithers or fighters. P2P has a lot of rings that give great benefits. Also, the cape slot, it is one of the most useless slots only rivaled by the ring slot. The only capes F2Pers have are the normal capes which hardly help at all bonus wise.

tfssig.png

Yes, I think they do. F2P is VERY limited..I actually figure dmembers wouldn;t be worth $5 because of the representation F2P made on me. YEs, they need more stuff. Maybe a new quest every quarter of the year? Or an update every half year??

And from a recent count..we have about 850,000 members characters. We have about 3 million Free characters. That's about 3.52 F2P for every one member. So..you said that 3F2P = 1P2P. So technically, Free players are earning Jagex just as much moolah as Members are.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

The free worlds are made to entice people into buying a members account, if the f2p players were happy with the free worlds there world be problem for jagex, that everyone was so content they didnt see much point i buying members.

Maybe Jagex should add things occassionally to make people who don't use there f2p accounts much come back and be pottentially gripped into buying p2p.

Overall if f2p are happy=less new members=less profit for jagex=less maintenance and updates for everyone.

I don't exclude giving them any updates, maybe allow them to explore canafis and have priest in peril quest but they are not allowed past fenkenstrain castle and not into mort myre maybe?

Just canaifs and the rest is fenced off as an idea. AN update 4 times a year would be ok aslong as it wasnt too good or big.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

I think that F2P should get 3 updates:

1: more bank space (this one is a must)!

2: A new quest (maybe 1 per year).

3: Skill capes (or some other piece of clothing).

If F2P doesn't get any updates whatsoever, than many pure F2P players will stop playing, losing potential members and costing JaGeX more in the long run... Anyway, it doesn't take long to program an update (3 days at most), so I doubt that JaGeX would even lose money in the short term...

legofan%20321.gif

kakawcopyfg2.pngTHE GREAT RACE TO 99 FM!

"Do or do not, there is no try"

-Yoda