The official World of Warcraft thread.

Nadril

Can someone give me wow in a nutshell? The website is scary enough, and I still don't quite understand it. I have the disk and burning crusade sitting here in front of me, that I got as a birthday present. I don't want to install it on my laptop, but when I build my new pc, it should be more than enough for wow, and I'm wondering if it's something I should like jump straight into and just start playing, or is there more to it?

It doesn't matter if you nothing of the Warcraft history or lore either - you can jump straight in.

If you get a chance though, read some of it, for it's a good read.

Quite right you are! I'm relatively new to WoW (compared to all these newbs on this thread!). I just jumped straight right in. My friend, Erik (only person I know in real life that plays WoW), harassed me for about 2 months about this game. We used to talk about fantasy stuff during orchestra class (I played the bass!).

Eventually, I did the free 10 days and LOVED it. Runescape seemed like trash after that (not bashing RS). It's not complicated at all.

Tips:

Don't expect to play just one and your first character

IF you get stuck, read the stuff on the WoW site

Ask people, most higher levels are nice

Have fun with it

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally changed the title to reflect what it is. Tired of a bunch of other WoW posts popping up recently. :wink:

omg u ruined the thread

omg o noe.

I finally changed the title to reflect what it is. Tired of a bunch of other WoW posts popping up recently. :wink:

What, all one of them?!

Theres been a decent bit in the past few weeks.

50/50 about the new expansion at the moment. If it's released a year+ from now, I'll be happy. Just releasing one hero class though, I can see some problems.

What are these hero classes in a nutshell if you wouldn't mind explaining? I hope WoW doesn't become like EQ and start releasing expansions every few months, who is about to release their 14th expansion. Anyways I've always thought it would be cooler to have some more classes on WoW, although it would be difficult to put in balanced changes and implement more class-specific gear and all of the other stuff that comes a long with it.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

BlizzCon Day 2

BlizzCon Classes Panel

- Moonkin itemization in PvE is being worked on

- Priest Ability "Lightwell" will get some scaling from gear

- Death Knights will have their own Rune Resource system

Mana regen is a flawed mechanic for Mages and Shamans and Hunters, people don't have mana and that's why there are so many Shadow Priests. Real mana regen needed

The Spirit stat in general will be improved for WotLK.

Will the ability to force groupmates to change targets be implemented or something like?

They will not be given an ability to force people to change targets when the new target is taunted.

CC for Shamans?

Evaluating CC options for the Shaman in levels 71 to 80.

Priest racials?

Fear Ward will be spread around. Otherwise, they are being looked at but not a high priority.

Tauren cat form druid is also broken along with Night Elf cat form?

Cat form range must be tuned. The Night Elf cat form's bug has to be fixed but the range will be tuned overall.

Hunters for 2v2 and 3v3 under represented?

Looking into very closely for patch 2.3. Many changes for Hunters will be implemented in 2.3. There are some line of sight issues in Arenas, but they won't be changed. Some more utilities for arena battles and group utility are planned.

The first thing Mages have to do in a raid is make water. There are Soulwells. Will there be a Muffin factory?

Yes. Water and muffin creation like the Soulwell is incoming.

Shamans are low population and the totem system needs reworking -- inferior to pally auras, cost mana?

Blessings, auras and totems are supposed to be different. But the totems are being looked at. The Mana Spring totem will be a lot stronger than it is. Some other totems will also be made stronger.

BlizzCon PVP Panel

The future of Battlegrounds

- In AV, players won't spawn in the cave until there's nowhere else to spawn

- They are going to give the players ability to report other players for being AFK, like the spam reports (Once enough players have reported that person, and a debuff appears that only goes away when they show up in combat. If they don't get into combat, another debuff which makes them have no honor gain.)

- Honor distribution will change-- more honor gain near end of the BG, which should push people forward.

- They will reintroduce queueing as a group for AV.

- They're considering going toward a model where players can choose different sizes of the same battleground-- 15v15 or 20v20.

- They are thinking about Guild Battlegrounds-- letting guilds challenge each other, and joining up a battleground as a guild, even tracking a rating for the guild in a certain BG.

Arenas

- There's going to be a rating requirement to buy an arena weapon (might be season 3).

- With season 3, you'll see season 1 gear become available through the honor system.

Creating 19 and 29 Arenas?

We're considering it-- the problems are rewards for it, and player demand for it.

Rewards for turning in Battleground marks?

The marks are really there to encourage people to move around from BG to BG. We'll probably add more things that you can get for your marks. Rep probably won't be one of them, because we don't think right now that the rep is worth much.

Where is the arena server where we have pregenerated character and can choose our opponents?

We're doing that with actual tournaments-- pregenerated characters that can play any kind of match you need. What we may integrate is allowing teams to match up their choice to practice, as a skirmish.

Why is resilience missing on the Paladin PvP sets?

Season 3 set does have resilience. We won't change the older sets, because players bought them knowing what they were.

Make rogues more viable for 5v5?

We're going to include mobility improvements, and more utility. Sap is useless there, and we'll look at that.

BlizzCon Professions and Items Panel

Things to come

- Free spell damage for healers

- Legendary ranged weapon in the next 25-person raid dungeon.

- Zul'Aman (they showed 2 ZA weapons, see below)

1h dagger, 98.6 dps, 21 agility, 40 atp and ignores ~154 armor.

zul_dagger.jpg

Things we want to do more

- Improve Professions only items (e.g: alchemists getting specific pots only them can use)

- Create Great Leveling Gear: up to lvl 80 gear usable in Northrend

- Provide what's missing: Crafting should be able to fill itemization gaps

Things to improve

- Engineering is going to get some love

- Transmute: Change to a daily cooldown

- Discoveries: They will make some easier to get

- Vendor Recipes: No longer vendor camping, it will be random but not campable

New Profession: Inscription

- Not Alchemy or Enchanting: no scrolls

- Inscribe Spells and Abilities with power: Enhancing your spells and abilities to make them more powerful (e.g: mortal could deal more dmg, kidney shot could last longer)

- Create Completely New Items: They can't talk about it but there will be a whole other side to inscription than making spells and abilities more powerful.

Coming Soon

- Profession Daily Quests

- New Crafter Only Gear: More of the best in slot stuff, Jewelcrafter only gems, Alchemist only potions.

- Smooth out Progression 275 to 300 gap particularly

New Enchant: Executioner -- Zul'Aman

- Armor Penetration proc (proc rate similar to mongoose)

Use: Learn how to permanently enchant a Melee Weapon to occasionally ignore 840 of your ennemy's armor. Requires a level 35 or higher item.

executioner.jpg

New Cooking Recipes

- melee hit food, spell crit food

Shaman Talent changes

shaman1.jpg

shaman2.jpg

shaman3.jpg

shaman4.jpg

BlizzCon Day 1 Recap (thanks Virtuous)

WRATH OF THE LICH KING

Blizzard announced its new expansion to World of Warcraft today - Wrath of the Lich King.

What we know so far:

- Level cap will be increased to 80

- New spells and abilities will be added for every class

- New talents (up to 51-point tier) will be added for every class

- New battlegrounds and arenas will be implemented

- Siege weapons and destructible buildings will be a part of PvP (possibly used in PvE - unknown at this time)

- New profession: Inscription. Inscription allows the inscriber to permanently enhance the recipient's spells (e.g. by Tigole - Fireball could be a shorter cast time, more direct damage, more DoT damage, etc.)

- New (and changeable) hairstyles, new dances

- New 10- and 25-man raids

- New Hero Class (made available by epic end-game quest): Death Knight

- Set in Northrend

- More zones than Outland

- NO new races

- Will include Nerubians

- Features Arthas/The Lich King as main villain

- Two 'points of entry' (a la Hellfire Peninsula): Borean Tundrea (Horde) and Howling Fjord (Alliance)

- Other known zones: Grizzly Hills, Dragonblight

- Main city in WotLK is Dalaran (now floating above Northrend)

- At least one new 15+ man battleground (estimated time to finish it: 30-40 min)

- Outdoor PvP zone (flagged as PvP even on PvE servers) - Lake Wintergrasp

- New Arena season, including new gear and maps

DEATH KNIGHT

- Hybrid Tank and DPS

- Tanks using 2H or DW

- Can only use 'bladed' weapons (known: Swords, Axes)

- Referred to as "Rune Weapons"

- Wears plate armor

- Blend of melee and some spellcasting

- Known spell:

"Army of the Dead" - raises several temporary minions

"Unholy Embrace" - Instant Cast. 5 min cooldown

Target is embraced by a silhouette of darkness for 12 seconds, corrupting any healing spells and effects cast upon or currently affecting the target to cause damage for 50% of their healing potential instead of restoring health. Any damage shields cast upon or currently affecting the target will also be instantly consumed, dealing 50% of their absorption potential in damage. Once afflicted with Unholy Embrace, the target cannot be afflicted with Unholy Embrace again for 1 minute."

- Is a Hero Class

- Unlocked by an epic questline (no raids involved) at level 80

- Will allow you to start a new character as a Death Knight at a higher level (told to expect between 55 - 70). Will not overwrite previous character.

- More Hero classes may be to come - will continue to be based on Warcraft III Heroes

- Death Knight does not use rage or mana - will use a new mechanic, 'Runes'

- Rune schools (similar to Death Knight talents) split up into Blood, Frost, Unholy

- Runes are carved into the Death Knight's weapon - 6 slots total, any combination of runes (e.g. 2 of each, 4 Blood/2 Frost, 6 Unholy, etc.)

- Rune cooldowns will be modified by talents taken, etc.

- Certain spells will reactive runes; spells can consume more than one rune

NEW INFO

- A team is currently working on redoing the 1-60 game

- 51-point talents are under construction

- There will be at least 1 new Caverns of Time instance

- Grim Batol is likely to be a WotLK raid

- New post-BT raid pre-WotLK (likely either Sunwell related or Kil'Jaeden)

- 70-80 to take similar amount of time/work as 60-70

- Outdoor zones in WotLK will be primarily solo

- More daily quests coming in 2.2, as well as integrated voice chat

- Paladin tanking is being worked on

- Any class/race can unlock the Death Knight

- Players will still not be able to use flying mounts in "old" Azeroth

- New post-BT dungeon to have 8 bosses

- Blizzard is working on a system on the wow default interface like Outfitter and Item Rack, so we can get real space to store the extra junk (resist gear)

- They will add a threat meter into the game, they are also talking about adding a Deadly Boss Mods element into the game

CLASS BALANCE

- Tree Form Druids to get more abilities in form (Decurse suggested)

- Ret Pallies to get improved sustained DPS

- Prot Pallies to get additional health (deep Prot talent suggested)

- Holy Priests to see improvements to Spirit of Redemption, Lightwell, and Circle of Healing

http://www.worldofraids.com/

I heard the whole PvP discussion is tomorrow. Interested in hearing what their plans are.

Wow, that's some crazy stuff

Am I the only one that thinks shamanistic rage seems like it might be imba? I mean there will only be a minute and 30 seconds where you won't have that effect on. They should lessen the duration by a lot, or increase the cooldown a lot.

MY FAVORITE BAND:

Am I the only one that thinks shamanistic rage seems like it might be imba? I mean there will only be a minute and 30 seconds where you won't have that effect on. They should lessen the duration by a lot, or increase the cooldown a lot.

It can be dispelled.

I hope it is released next summer as that is when I will start playing. I doubt it will be released any time soon. According to various people on these forums and WoW forums, many servers have not cleared many of the bosses. If the new expansion is released soon, that will make those raids obselete. Summer seems like the perfect time.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

It can be dispelled.

Eh, still. Most classes don't have dispel anyways

MY FAVORITE BAND:

Summer seems like the perfect time.

I agree that it is, but I some how doubt it, and it will be earlier. This is obviously a response to the upcoming MMO AOC and Warhammer. Thus they will want to try and release there content in hopes of not losing so much of their player base. Although the two games will be released before the expansion, if they wait too long to do the expansion, it is possible the word could get out how good these two others games are, and will thus cause WoW to lose alot of players.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

It can be dispelled.

You can still root, stun, whatever them. Its not that OP -- enhancement shamans defenses suck.

It can be dispelled.

You can still root, stun, whatever them. Its not that OP -- enhancement shamans defenses suck.

I guess. But that's just if its a 1v1 situation. If the shaman has a partner, there is dispel as you said before and BoF

MY FAVORITE BAND:

Rocking back and forth between my Blood Elf warlock and starting a Blood Elf shadowpriest. Definitely sticking to Blood Elf though. The other races just pale in comparison - not just looks but lore, capital city, Scryers, etc.

I can't stand to play a blood elf myself. Mostly back to my days where I wouldn't play a light elf in lineage II though too.

I've mostly found myself sticking to undead, just because WoTF is much too nice of a racial to give up.

I've decided I need a second 70, so I'm playing my old Nelf Drood alt. 19 at the moment, and not stopping to do any BG's.

You've abandoned your Blood Elf hunter?!

Let me know how the druid works out. Got one to forty awhile back.

sithbridgeay2.jpg