Let's discuss the validity of pures

JudasAddiction

This is my first post, so if I put it in the wrong forum, don't lock the topic please; just move it and tell me where it went.

OK I am fairly experienced in Runescape by now, and I have paid a lot of attention to what we call pures, and more importantly what goes into making a pure, as I am attempting one myself (str/att with 20 def).

My question is simple: since your level maxes out at 126 once you have maximized all the stats that could possibly affect your combat level, just like everyone else, does it truly matter whether you don't max out your defense until later, or whether you max it out at all; does it really matter if you're a mage or fighter at lvl 126 as long as you have the right equipment and know how to play both equally well...?

Also, based on a common assumption I ask: why does having low defense make people better fighters; why should this have any positive bearing on a fight? My first thought when I hear of a person with level 1 def is, "OK you have ridiculously high str and att, but I will cut you down with just a few blows before you put a [weakness] in my armor."

Now, I understand the journey is probably better than the end result, being a lvl 126 character, so you want to choose a path, but once you are kicking [wagon], is it really going to affect your hit % and damage infliction if you raise your defense after bringing your attack & strength to 99, or if you choose to go ape-poopie with magic for a while?

I understand my questions are n00bish but I have also never seen these issues directly and properly addressed...it always seems to be one person's untested theory against another equally unsubstantiated claim.

I want as many people to answer so I can get a nice, rounded sample of the community's opinion - so if you have thoughts on this subject and feel as though they are valid, please speak up!

The journey is the reward

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see my topic got moved...I have to question whether this is the right forum for my topic, however. I am not discussing a bug within the game nor am I giving any suggestions. If I had to categorize the topic, I'd say it falls under strategy discussion or maybe even advice. Who moved my topic..? I do not see any of the 'General' forum moderators online at the moment, so I am assuming they're hidden.

Not sure who moved it but I agree it does not belong on RS Bugs/Suggestion forum~ moving this topic to Help and Advice.

I understand it is a discussion and you want opinions but I still think it belongs in H/A forum. Since you are looking for

answeres to your questions. :)

queenvalerie.png

you can not be maged base 126 combat

range and mage based combs end at 109

About the lvl 126 thing....how many lvl 126 accounts you got?

noone(almost noone atleast) makes a pure to get to 99 str/att they are to get to a certain point (example 40 attack and as high str as you want f2p, or 59 mage for fireblast) then pk/stake to where they can hit high at the low comb lvl, they have no intention on getting 126 comb, or even 100 combat.

that was the point on a pure at first....now it seems ppl make them to just follow in on the crowd ><

Barrows drops: ahrims staff (2), karils coif, karils xbow, torags plate body, veracs helm.

Also, based on a common assumption I ask: why does having low defense make people better fighters; why should this have any positive bearing on a fight?

This is my question. Anyone have an answer? I don't doubt it to be true but I don't understand why it is true.

Well, in the wildy, you bring food, so if you get hit, you just eat, while you kill the other person with your killer offensive stats.

2480+ total

Also, based on a common assumption I ask: why does having low defense make people better fighters; why should this have any positive bearing on a fight?

This is my question. Anyone have an answer? I don't doubt it to be true but I don't understand why it is true.

The characters are better "fighters" when compared to other characters of their level. Say you compare two level 70's, one a pure and another a balanced build. The pure will most likely have 80 or 90 strength, having much more than the other character. In a fight, quick finishes and KO's are more important than surviving. Basically you can say that the combat system in unbalanced, strength having more of an impact in battles than attack and even more than defense.

icecube7.jpeg

The characters are better "fighters" when compared to other characters of their level. Say you compare two level 70's, one a pure and another a balanced build. The pure will most likely have 80 or 90 strength, having much more than the other character. In a fight, quick finishes and KO's are more important than surviving. Basically you can say that the combat system in unbalanced, strength having more of an impact in battles than attack and even more than defense.

Ahaa, finally an answer. An imbalance is truly the only thing that makes sense, why the imbalance is another question, lol. :D Thank you.

I'm pretty much retired from runescape right now but I check back on the forums occasionaly to see what's going on.

I disagree with your point of view on defence. The whole point is to give-up your resistance to attacks and put all of that into strength.

Defence has a possibility of blocking "a blow" and has no effect whatever on the damage of the "blow." More strenght allows the pure to hit higher than the opponent in attempt to whittle down his health fast.

The wilderness is all about killing "fast." Person to get the first hit, person with full special bar, all have an impact at the amount of time the battle will take. It is more important to get in higher hits and finish off or scare the opponent into thinking they're doomed than protecting oneself.

When someone sees they're low on hp or that you can hit as high as the amount you have left, they use animal-instinct which is too run. In a way you can call this intimidating the opponent. This just dooms deeper into the trap by giving them more opportunities to hit you. Defence on the other hand allows you to evade a blow, but the chance of a strong one occuring still "intimidates/influences" what your going to do.

If you can land in the first few hits and get them low, you can generaly hit higher than they can eat. As soon as you've done that you've won the battle.

Sorry if this seems like a giant garble of opinion with no clear point. It's 3 A.M and I'm a bit tired.

Looking for someone to teach me how to Armadyl farm - pm me

10,200th Person to Achieve 99 Magic on 1/10/08

This is a tricky one to place. It looks like this started as a question (which would go in General Help & Advice) and is becoming more and more of a debate about high/low defense pures, so therefore I have moved it to the Debate Club. I'm not a Debate Club expert, but should this turn into more of a one-answer question, another moderator is free to move it accordingly.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Wow, they're very particular about the locations of threads here.

Anyway, let me ask a clear question that could settle this right now - does a char. with 50 str, 50 att and 45 def beat a char. with 50 str, 50 att, and 20 def?

The answer seems clear to me; is there something I'm missing?

Yep: total combat level.

Let's assume that in your examples, those are the only combat stats those two characters have raised (let's also pretend that somehow their HP hasn't been raised above the baseline 10HP, just to keep it simple...)

Having a 50/50/45 character will give you a combat level of 46, whereas 50/50/20 will give you a combat of 40. Now, if the lvl 40 were to get up to 46 by only raising strength, they'd have 69 str, 50 att and 20 def, which would just about destroy the other lvl 47, regardless of his 45 def.

The point of pures, as I understand it, isn't about surviving a long time, but rather killing quickly so you don't have to survive a long time.

[history lesson]Nowadays, with all the new escape options, defensive tricks and such, pures are somewhat obsolete, but back in the RSC days, they ruled the Wild like dark lords of chaos because of something called the 3-Hit Rule. Basically, in RSC, you couldn't retreat until after three rounds, and you couldn't eat while in combat, so if someone could kill you within that three-round limit, you were pretty much screwed. This gave rise to the notion that, if you poured all of your combat EXP into strength and attack, with just barely enough defence to wear the best armor, then you could concievably kill just about anything - and anyone - you came into contact with.

Where once pures were forces to be reckoned and feared, the complete overhaul of the pvp system pretty much turned pures into a novelty at best and a fad at worst. The main reason most pures survived into RS2 during the changeover was because most pure players didn't understand (or were in denial that) they were no longer the top dogs of the Wild. Most of the new pure accounts are just sad, lame attempts to jump onto a bandwagon whose axle broke a long time ago.[/history lesson]

I hope that clears up a lot for you.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

I'm not sure what you're asking, so im going to answer a question i made myself. The combat system is flawed, pures should be easily 3 hit by anyone because their defence is so terrible, its illogical and a bit stupid that, say level 70 range can't hit 1 def better than 85 str can hit 60 def.

Wow, they're very particular about the locations of threads here.

Anyway, let me ask a clear question that could settle this right now - does a char. with 50 str, 50 att and 45 def beat a char. with 50 str, 50 att, and 20 def?

The answer seems clear to me; is there something I'm missing?

Yes, the combat level of the two characters. They're not equal levels.

Pures are good because they are better than others at their level. Of course they're worse or equal with characters way beyond their level.

Take your example. If we keep one with 50 STR, 50 ATT, and 45 DEF, and make the other one the same combat level, it could have 75 STR, 50 ATT and 20 DEF. That's why pures are good. The loss of defense levels allows them to advance their strength beyond what other characters of their level have.

icecube7.jpeg

I'm not sure what you're asking, so im going to answer a question i made myself. The combat system is flawed, pures should be easily 3 hit by anyone because their defence is so terrible, its illogical and a bit stupid that, say level 70 range can't hit 1 def better than 85 str can hit 60 def.

Yes, as I have thought about this question, I have come to roughly the same conclusion - the imbalance is not favorable...and is in fact very n00bish of Jagex for not fixing it. Here here!

On the other hand, that might make a warrior very powerful, perhaps too powerful, but they made the game, they have the liberties to change the combat system as much as necessary to take it to the next step.

Well, in the wildy, you bring food, so if you get hit, you just eat, while you kill the other person with your killer offensive stats.

wanna know why?

pure lvl 70 for example 60 attk 90 strength and 70+ hp 1 def

def noob lvl 70: 60attk 60 strength at most? and like 50-60 def.. ooh a pure would like murder that.. you think 1 def you can own like a few hits? roflmfao your hella funny.. pures have high mage.. high range.. you gona come in with armor all pures do is ice barrage we own you... then take out range.. you take off armor we dds you and you just dieee

for example my pure: 1_S_e_c_k0

84 strength

50 attk

1 def

31 pray

lvl 62 combat

owns mostly everything my lvl.. i always have and always will... 33s with maul pot and pray.. you guys have nothing on that...

Let's assume that in your examples, those are the only combat stats those two characters have raised (let's also pretend that somehow their HP hasn't been raised above the baseline 10HP, just to keep it simple...)

Having a 50/50/45 character will give you a combat level of 46, whereas 50/50/20 will give you a combat of 40. Now, if the lvl 40 were to get up to 46 by only raising strength, they'd have 69 str, 50 att and 20 def, which would just about destroy the other lvl 47, regardless of his 45 def.

The point of pures, as I understand it, isn't about surviving a long time, but rather killing quickly so you don't have to survive a long time.

[history lesson]Nowadays, with all the new escape options, defensive tricks and such, pures are somewhat obsolete, but back in the RSC days, they ruled the Wild like dark lords of chaos because of something called the 3-Hit Rule. Basically, in RSC, you couldn't retreat until after three rounds, and you couldn't eat while in combat, so if someone could kill you within that three-round limit, you were pretty much screwed. This gave rise to the notion that, if you poured all of your combat EXP into strength and attack, with just barely enough defence to wear the best armor, then you could concievably kill just about anything - and anyone - you came into contact with.

Where once pures were forces to be reckoned and feared, the complete overhaul of the pvp system pretty much turned pures into a novelty at best and a fad at worst. The main reason most pures survived into RS2 during the changeover was because most pure players didn't understand (or were in denial that) they were no longer the top dogs of the Wild. Most of the new pure accounts are just sad, lame attempts to jump onto a bandwagon whose axle broke a long time ago.[/history lesson]

rofl still no.. pures still own the wilderness... killing everyone at their level with ease.. maybe not at around 3-70 cuz of lower attk lvls.. but from then on pures own all.. i had a friend lvl 95 pure own a lvl 120+

anyone knows fear figment or hiei the pk? they own all def noobs.. no matter how high def is.

With 1 defense you cant have 126 combat thus having 99 attack and strength and hitpoints and mage and range with around 91 combat i believe you have a great chance of beating them...i hop you understand what I'm trying to say.

Could use a sig or avatar, PM me if intersted in making one.

With 1 defense you cant have 126 combat thus having 99 attack and strength and hitpoints and mage and range with around 91 combat i believe you have a great chance of beating them...i hop you understand what I'm trying to say.

OK, so what if I get all those stats you just mentioned here, then threw in defense at the very end? You telling me it's not going to make a lick of difference?

rofl still no.. pures still own the wilderness... killing everyone at their level with ease.. maybe not at around 3-70 cuz of lower attk lvls.. but from then on pures own all.. i had a friend lvl 95 pure own a lvl 120+

anyone knows fear figment or hiei the pk? they own all def noobs.. no matter how high def is.

Lol, this is proof that pking videos are propaganda, hiei the pk and fear figment are not invincible, notice how 95% of people they kill dont know what they're doing? a well rounded stat player at level 95 (their level) with all the advantages they can get + a knack for pking can kill a 99 str pure.

it's quite funny how some people consider anyone with defence to be a 'defence noob'

back on topic(somewhat), having mainly high strength does leave a bit of weakness there, without higher attack you won't hit as often, and if the person the pure is fighting can last long enough to take advantage of the lack of defense, the pure is more than likely going to get slaughtered. nowadays the system is only used by people who see videos and think that pures are an easy way to make money.

the only pures that are bad in my mind are the ones that drop trade from wealthier accounts...

there's really no way to remove pures now, even by making defence not part of your level.

1secownage, you strike me as the sort of player that I've come to call 'an annoying little twerp'. Because you choose to play the game differently to us and can kill a few other twerps with relative ease you think you're better than us? I'm willing to bet that you're the sort of person who'll hang around the seers village yews proclaiming the greatness of pures and claiming that you'd 'pwn' all of us if we were in the wildy... to which those of us with the level required to cut yews will respond with a resounding 'so? we're not in the wilderness. Come back when you grow up.'

Pures, as they stand right now, are dead or dying. With each new update there is a new weapon or piece of armour that is not trade-able yet better and cheaper than the trade-able version - ruining the PKers profit. Not that there was much in it for a pure Pker anyway.

Also, pures are designed to fight non-pures - it's the only time they have a chance. Against another pure, those extra strength levels are wasted, and it once again comes down to pure luck as to who wins... and which is willing to teleport away first. Very few pures are willing to go higher than level 20 wilderness - and there are very few non-pures hanging around down there. Pures only fight other pures right now, which means that all that time you spent into creating a second character was absolutely wasted, and would have been far better spent improving your main.

Pures are also highly over rated in the first place. I've lost count of the amount of times someone tried to kill me at the green dragons before teleporting away shouting "Why couldn't I hit? I'm a pure!". It's called defence levels, those things you sacrificed to keep your combat down? I'm sure it works great against other level 40s, but against a level 90 you have no chance, even with your strength.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe in P2P pures own the wilderness, but in F2P? I don't think so. Nearly everyone that PKs in the wilderness in F2P is a pure now, so therefore the meaning of a pure is lost, since everybody you're fighting has the same idea as you.

Pures are crap, take it from a guy who has had many high lvl pures, yes they get kills.. against noobs.

Take my 85 91 45 rune pure, i got loads of kills.. but if i found some one with def who wasnt afraid to risk good gear, id get beaten to a pulp, its simple, defence owns pureness if your willing to wear the best equipment for your stats.

Any of you bragging pure noobs want to fight my main feel free.