Moderators leave messages after locking topics.

This was in place when I moderated, but lately I've been noticing that there have been topics that have been locked for apparently no reason, without any notice from the moderator that locked the topic. Has the policy changed?

summerpngwy6.jpg

I think I've also noticed one or two topics that have been locked with no messages. I always leave a message because I think it's important that the thread author (and posters) knows why his/her topic was locked and who he can contact for more information about why it was.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Its always good to know why your topic has been locked.

You can pm the mod if you have any complaints about it.

Well the problem is we don't know who the mod IS because they didn't leave a note.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Well the problem is we don't know who the mod IS because they didn't leave a note.

Yea; ninja-locks are annoying :(

Its always been an issue on this forum no matter how many times we bring it up.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Not leaving a note as to why something was locked leaves people not knowing who to contact to find out why, and often ends with them posting a new topic to find out (or just reposting the same one). Which creates more work than if the mod had just left a note in the first place.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

I've noticed on the occasion that when there's been a controversial topic or one which has been active for a while and suddenly gets locked the mod whose locked it hasn't left a message. Probably because they would recieve a few flame pm's from the posters on the topic as to why they would possibly lock a topic like the one they did and didn't want to go through the hassle.

As Rick wrote nobody likes 'ninja locks.'

Tip.It has a history however of secret moderators. Those that are hidden from the public view and do not have moderator avatars or shoe up in green on the "whos online" page. These people have full global moderator powers and it is unfortunately open to abuse.

All locked topics should have a post by a moderator in it explaining the lock even if it wasn't the person who did the locking.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Tip.It has a history however of secret moderators. Those that are hidden from the public view and do not have moderator avatars or shoe up in green on the "whos online" page. These people have full global moderator powers and it is unfortunately open to abuse.

All locked topics should have a post by a moderator in it explaining the lock even if it wasn't the person who did the locking.

Exactly. If doesn't have to be the Mod that locked it that posts on it.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Yea, i agree that it would be nice if mods left a message saying why they locked to topic.

It always stinks to browse around and see "locked forum.. hmm.. gonna check why this one is locked" and then ".... :| no reason"

Though, as we all know, if someone locks a topic, she/he had a reason for it, and in the end it should be enough for us =/

But yea, i still think it would be nice if mods told why the topic was locked

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

Whether or not that was previously done it is not now. No one starts with global moderating abilities and even when new mods are brought on they do not lock or moderate anything (and cannot for that matter) until they have been publicly announced because of this very reason.

As always there should be a post regarding the nature of the lock. However if it happens and there isn't one, just ask. No one is going to bite your head off for wondering why it happened. It's also helpful so we can see who didn't leave it and reiterate the purpose of locking comments to them.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

I'm gonna add my support on this issue with a request that a public rule be added stating that "Moderators MUST leave a post stating why they have locked the thread", so that problems like this can not happen again. They should have to worry about the whole Tip.It community coming down on them more for failing to leave a reason than they should for not failing.

Now obviously, this comes with the catch that if people want the thread open again, they should do it in a polite manner, to which I therefore suggest such of an interlinking rule to be paired with the one I suggest above. This way, if people see a thread locked, and a reason why and who to contact, they can't go flaming around without being shot down.

Just my mind's $15.00 on the thought. 8-)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Tip.It has a history however of secret moderators.

Whether or not that was previously done it is not now.

Thats good to hear.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Same thing can be applied to BAD SIGS because I see in peoples sigs under the BAD SIG banner things like

"Since when?"

"Whats this for?"

"I'm keeping it" etc.

If mods leave their name after that they can quarrel with them about it. :wink:

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Same thing can be applied to BAD SIGS because I see in peoples sigs under the BAD SIG banner things like

"Since when?"

"Whats this for?"

"I'm keeping it" etc.

If mods leave their name after that they can quarrel with them about it. :wink:

Well I can guarantee you this , if a signature is removed, its not a moderator you would need to contact. Moderators cannot alter or ban a users account.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

However if it happens and there isn't one, just ask.

Ask who?

If you ask in the forum you can expect to have your head bitten off.

PM an Administrator about it :wink:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

PM an Administrator about it :wink:

Parabola, I agree with tripsis. As an expansion on this, any Administrator that you send a PM at Tip.It Forums is capable of checking around and 'finding out whodunit'. And of course if no Moderator speaks up, then the Admin you've been talking with can do a shakedown and clobber people as needed until they get an answer... You can rest assured, Moderators and Admins check and balance each other here on the Tip.It Forums. (I don't think they'd have it any other way!)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

When I was a moderator, I usually edited the first page or last post and added a reason there, abit in this way:

Thread locked by Hohto - Reason: spam

That way the post didn't get bumped and the reason could easily be found.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

As tallest said above, we do ask that Moderators leave a message or an edit explaining a lock, sometimes it may slip their mind as they often handle multiple posts at a time due to the report system, the level of the days activity, or other various reasons.

We have posted a reminder to the Moderator Team to kindly try and add a reason or post when locking topics so users do not feel "left in the dark".

:)

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Yes, it would be nice if a moderator at least explain why they locked a topic.

A long time ago, I've made topics and they would be rudely locked without any replies. It's really a slap in the face.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)