My Top Album List - 50 Albums You Should Own

assassin_696

How2PK generously asked me to be the first to compile this list talked about in this thread. I really enjoyed making this list, it made me evaluate my reasons for liking many of these albums. But it wasn't easy. In the end I cut it off at 50 albums, I could have gone on but I thought I'd kept it reasonably interesting. If I did it again I might pick completely different albums, most of my favourites are up there but many of them are just ones that I found a little interesting or different. I think I limited it to one album per artist, many artists have so many good albums it was hard to choose a favourite. That's another thing that might change on a second run through. I cut adding images to the albums short at number ten, I might add more during the week but it's quite a lot of effort.

Another thing, the ordering is pretty arbitary. The top ten might be about right but after that it was just as and when I thought of them.

1. For Emma, Forever Ago Bon Iver

boniverforemmaforeverag.jpg

Like so many before him, this album is about a man getting after breaking up with a girl. But it has an incredible cleansing beauty about it that haunts and warms at the same time. From the bitterness of The Wolves Act I and II, to the self castigation of Skinny Love to the stunning beauty of Re:Stacks. It was recorded over four winter months in Wisconsin, and the sound of winter is very much there, as well as the sound of promises of summer.

2. Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes

fleetfoxeslp.jpg

Swirling vocal harmonies that evoke 60s California, folk from both sides of the Atlantic with subtle hints of medieval baroque. This band have the incredible ability to make their vocal harmonies good enough to stand alone but then go and stick a band with them anyway.

3. Blood On The Tracks Bob Dylan

dylanbob276l.jpg

Another breakup album, this is Dylan at his best. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts is a wonderful Dylan-esque story but If You See Her, Say Hello is the standout track for me. It would be worth it for that song alone.

4. The Queen Is Dead The Smiths

thequeenisdeadcover.png

Morissey is a brilliant lyricist, but what made The Smiths so good was the counterpoint between Morisseys darkly witty lyrics and Johnny Marrs soaring jingly-jangly guitars. Very English.

5. Electro-Shock Blues Eels

bigb00000df6n.jpg

I dont know of any other modern songwriter whos had so much heartache in his life, E could easily write dark brooding albums. But even when he is at his darkest (as he is on this album) hes still managing to be uplifting and funny. Written after the suicide of his sister, it deals with all the issues he has with catchy songs, and then climaxes on the stunning concluding song P.S. You Rock My World.

6. Elephant The White Stripes

elephantthewhitestripes.png

My favourite White Stripes album is an ever-changing phenomenon, but for now its this one. It catches The White Stripes just as theyre hitting their stride, a rocking album that highlights Jacks brilliant, minimalistic guitar work and Megs equally minimalistic drumming.

7. Grace Jeff Buckley

gracel.jpg

I think Jeff Buckley is underrated as a lyricist, Lover, You Shouldve Come Over is poetry to my ears but even if you dont like what hes singing you have to love him for his stunning voice that can be soft and gentle and raging and hurt. A life cut tragically short.

8. Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd

wishyouwerehere.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon made them big, but this is my favourite album of theirs. Despite being written as a tribute to their first singer Syd Barrett it is uniquely a product of Gilmour and Waters era Floyd.

9. Boston Boston

albumboston.jpg

Catchy power rock ballads coupled with stellar organ work and perfect vocals.

10. (Whats The Story) Morning Glory? Oasis

awhatsthestorymorninggl.jpg

Because no other band can write songs with no real intended meaning so well. Noel Gallagher is the master of the harmonious sounding chord progression. Simple songs full of hope.

11. The Bends Radiohead

My favourite Radiohead album is another tough one, but I think this represents them well across the board. In between the weirdness of OK Computer and the potential of Pablo Honey. Incredibly diverse band.

12. Nebraska Bruce Springsteen

This is the album that really got me into Springsteen. Its nothing like his bombastic Born To Run stadium style stuff, its completely raw and stripped down (they used the demo tapes) and wonderfully dark. Atlantic City is my highlight.

13. MTV Unplugged In New York Nirvana

An iconic band that I love but dont listen to a great deal. Nevermind probably is their best album, but this shows a completely different side to Cobain whilst still summing up what he stood for. The songs he plays on this album are very different to normal Nirvana fare, and show a startling depth to his songwriting. Stripped raw, and almost painfully so at times.

14. Lateralus Tool

Ive never really looked into the lyrical meanings and hidden subtleties to this album, as much as people rave about them. I rate it so highly purely on the grounds that its a great metal album played in a dark and atmospheric way that seams together effortlessly.

15. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness The Smashing Pumpkins

A long album with some slightly patchy bits, but overall this is Billy Corgan at his angry best. Raging guitars coupled with some more gentle piano based songs give this album variety.

16. American IV: The Man Comes Around Johnny Cash

Im a big fan of the American series of recordings Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin, and this is my favourite. The production is minimal, and his cracked, deep voice is the real highlight here. A lot of the songs are very personal to him despite being covers. Hurt is definitive.

17. Californication Red Hot Chili Peppers

Another band with such a broad back-catalogue that choosing a definitive album is very difficult. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is funkier and fun, but I think Californication has elements of this along with slightly more reflective pop songs (Scar Tissue), and introspective songs like Road Trippin.

18. The Big Come Up The Black Keys

A great band with only two members, they play stripped down blues rock (although their latest album was more rounded at the edges) with crunching guitar riffs and thick drums. This album sums up their early sound.

19. Live At Massey Hall 1971 Neil Young

This album captures Neil Young just as he was hitting his prime as a solo artist before Harvest was released. Its very intimate and acoustic, but hes much more self assured on this than on the tentative (but very good) Sugar Mountain live release.

20. Takk - Sigur Ros

This is perhaps Sigur Ros most joyous album (although their new release is as well) so Im going to pick it for that. Their darker stuff (such as Vaka) is very good, but the levity in their lead singers voice when hes singing on more upbeat tracks.

21. Because Of The Times Kings of Leon

This is the soundtrack to my summer of 2007, from the perfectly meandering opening that is probably the best song I know to drive at night to (Knocked Up) to the equally drifting ending songs with plenty of tight songs to rock to in between. They might have released better albums, but this defines me more than the others.

22. Hot Fuss The Killers

This band were instantly anthemic, this sound will fill any room.

23. The Shepherds Dog Iron & Wine

Lovely gentle acoustic songs sang about America, love and loss.

24. Black Holes & Revelations Muse

Fantastically over the top.

25. Glasvegas Glasvegas

Incredible wall of sound style mixed with a Glaswegian accent singing songs about everyday life.

26. Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I think this is another album which represents well a very diverse artist. It has lots of energy in songs like There She Goes, My Beautiful World but also makes time to be more relaxed in songs like Breathless.

27. April Sun Kil Moon

I dont know of a better album to chill out to, reminds me of endless summer days and hazy fields. Drifts beautifully.

28. All Hour Cymbals Yeasayer

Quite an interesting, odd sound for something that verges on pop. Sounds very Middle Eastern.

29. The Compete Recordings Robert Johnson

The blues is a such an integral part of musical history itd be a crime not to give some attention to it here. Robert Johnson was the king of the blues as far as Im concerned.

30. Appetite For Destruction Guns N Roses

Never again did Guns N Roses rock quite so hard, with Axl Rose moving from songs recorded whilst having sex with a prostitute in the studio (Rocket Queen) to touching ballads (Sweet Child O Mine).

31. The Black Album Jay Z

Whatever your opinions of rap, you cant deny that Jay Z is damn good at what he does, and this album is the best to highlight his talents.

32. Boxer The National

What a wonderful voice the lead singer has, his deep tones bring a maturity to these sometimes sad songs that make you believe every word he says. Earnest.

33. Broken Boy Soldiers The Raconteurs

Jack Whites side project deserves no less attention because of it. Great, catchy pop rock songs with a lot of talent behind them. Nothing trailblazing or especially stand out, but still well worth a listen.

34. Closer Joy Division

Doubtless a bleak album, but irresistible listening for Ian Curtis dark lyrics and the dark arrangements accompanying the songs. Another talented life cut tragically short.

35. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs Derek and the Dominos

Claptons never sounded so raw and wounded. Written when he was deeply in love with Pattie Boyd but she didnt return his love, this album is simply brilliant.

36. Cease To Begin Band Of Horses

I have a thing for American voices with heavy reverb on them; this is a very good album with grandly swirling songs like Is There A Ghost? And more tender ones like No Ones Gonna Love You.

37. Dog House Music Seasick Steve

This guys probably better live than on albums, but this album is still definitely worth listening to. Fun, simple blues songs sung by a man who knows his subject matter.

38. Exile On Coldharbour Lane Alabama 3

This band are very hard to define, but the musics pretty cool. A mix of southern blues and gospel with beatier techno.

39. Funeral Arcade Fire

A band that make the most of the more is better philosophy when it comes to band members. Almost orchestral sounding at times.

40. Love The Beatles

I suppose I have to have a Beatles album up here, but none of their albums particularly speak to me as albums. I think this best represents their work, its the soundtrack to the Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas and sort of blends all their music together without changing it too radically.

41. Fun House The Stooges

Incredibly dark and energetic punk rock.

42. Wolfmother Wolfmother

Proof that hard rock still exists as a genre. Solid, muscular sounding songs.

43. Let It Bleed The Rolling Stones

My favourite album of theirs, with the opening and closing tracks acting as superb bookends.

44. Live At Wembley 86 Queen

Lest we forget just how good Freddie Mercurys voice was, and what a showman he was.

45. Number Ones Michael Jackson

Because many of the songs on here are works of pop genius.

46. Electric Ladyland Jimi Hendrix

Groundbreaking album from a phenomenal artist. Quite ethereal, not particularly stripped down or bluesy in its focus, but all the elements are there.

47. Maggot Brain Funkadelic

Id put this up there for the 10 minute face melting guitar masterpiece that is Maggot Brain alone, but the rest of the album is very solid funk stuff as well.

48. Into The Wild Eddie Vedder

The soundtrack to the film, Im not sure how this would stand without seeing the film first but I think the music on this is highly evocative of the go anywhere, care-free nature that the film aspired to.

49. Rumours Fleetwood Mac

It staggers me how many good songs there are on this album. At times poppy and catchy, and at other times deeply sad.

50. The Hazards of Love The Decemberists

A concept album that also happens to be full of great stand-alone songs. Clever folk rock with great voices and guitars.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

That's a pretty nice list, there's defiantly a lot of crossover on their to what I like to listen to personally. There are a few there that I haven't heard that might have a listen to over the next few weeks when I have time.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Very nice list. There are a few bands/artists in there which I've been meaning to get into, but haven't had an idea where to start; now I have. When I have the time I will definitely see how many of these albums are available on Spotify.

Damn, now I feel like compiling one of these myself.

2009rb9.jpg

Mmm Bon Iver. Love that dude's work. I was able to get a copy of his newest EP about 6 months before it came out. He lives less than 30 minutes from me when I'm back home from University. Very, very nice guy and means what his music conveys.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Very nice list, Assassin! I love that you chose the live record from Neil Young, his best work in my opinion. And excellent choice with Sun Kil Moon! And Bon Iver is an excellent choice for number one, Flume is so good, it takes a little practice to get into, but when you're trough that it's so good. Thanks for recommending it to me a while ago. :)

I'm going check out that new Decemberists record soon, they're a group that I've heard various songs from, but I never checked an entire album.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

as the postsers above said, great variaty and some intresting selections, i definetly going to check out some of your recomendations.

btw, though i am not a big Rap fan i totaly agree with you regarding Jay Z ,great choice :thumbup:

Pretty good list, a lot of those would be in mine as well.

Gonna check out that Eels album, been meaning to for a while.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I was very pleased with your list. A lot of the same music that I listen to and a few that I haven't heard yet. I'll be sure to check them out.

I wanna make mine now. =P~

...As soon as I find the time....

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

• 4 weeks later...

Bon Iver is phenomenal and For Emma, Forever Ago is a beautiful album. A+ for that as number one. Fleet Foxes are fantastic and Jeff Buckley is ethereal. I'm kind of upset with your Radiohead pick though. I mean, I do like The Bends, I think it really showcases the band's musicianship when it comes to straightforward rock/alternative, but I personally think Kid A is their best. It is a tough decision either way. The list was decent overall, nice mixing of genres. I'll have to take a listen to some of the albums!

Back to P2p soon!

Bon Iver is phenomenal and For Emma, Forever Ago is a beautiful album. A+ for that as number one. Fleet Foxes are fantastic and Jeff Buckley is ethereal. I'm kind of upset with your Radiohead pick though. I mean, I do like The Bends, I think it really showcases the band's musicianship when it comes to straightforward rock/alternative, but I personally think Kid A is their best. It is a tough decision either way. The list was decent overall, nice mixing of genres. I'll have to take a listen to some of the albums!

Yeah well I knew I needed a Radiohead album in the list, but like with a lot of my other favourite bands I don't have a definite favourite album, I think they're all good in their own way. This is especially true with Radiohead, a band who've never been stuck in the same genre. So I agree it's a tough decision, but personally I prefer OK Computer, Pablo Honey and In Rainbows over Kid A, but i've never really listened to it properly.

I personally find Consolers of the Lonely a better album than Broken Boy Soldiers, but still :thumbup:

On listening to them both again, I agree. Good spot.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

This is a great list, i've found some awesome albums for myself among those =]

I'm surprised and happy that you put Into The Wild soundtrack in it. The movie is great and so is the soundtrack =]

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

Great list, just a few artist's Id like to see:

Stiff Little Fingers, an amazing Irish Punk band.

The Velvet Underground, sometimes haunting lyrically. Just an amazing band.

and Sonic Youth, They've been around for so long and their style is still solid and amazing.

645th to 99 Agility.

I'm always up for a good chat, feel free to pm.

Its a nice list and there's a few I would have in mine. But the top 10 are.... well different.

But each to there own and I will be looking up some of those bands I've not heard of.

ps. So true about Appetite for Destruction, so true.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]