50 albums I think you should own.

Azvareth

Two weeks ago I gladly accepted Lateralus's request to compile... that week's list. It was however interrupted by a nasty cold, Easter celebrations and a good friend coming to visit. I feel kinda bad that it's taken me this long though, so I'd like to apologise for that first.

It really can't get much better than this though: I'm actually encouraged to create my very own thread about music that I love! It turned out to be a fairly interesting assignment though. Mostly because I was unsure whether I would actually be able to scrap together even 25 albums - but before I knew it I was at #42; finding the rest was a breeze. I would however realise that the real ordeal wasn't in figuring out which albums to put down, but was in putting into words exactly what makes these albums so special; this isn't really something I normally go around thinking about. Coming straight after two wordsmiths is a little bit daunting as well, so I'd like to apologise beforehand for breaking any and all Basic Codes of Writing (hurr!).

I only had enough patience to add "Highlights" to most of the albums, so if you want recommendations for the rest feel free to ask!

Some of the list is in order (but most of it isn't!).

liveanddangerous.jpg

#1 Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

It's hard to pick my absolute favourite Lizzy album, since I really think they're all great in different ways. I decided upon Live and Dangerous though because this is the band at their absolute best. It was recorded in the band's glory days; after they had released three highly acclaimed albums in a row, before Phil's drug and alcohol abuse got the better of him, while also featuring the best Lizzy set-up (which would never record an album together again). Almost each song outshines the respective studio versions, and the guitarwork between Gorham and Robertson is nothing short of legendary. From the crashing start of Jailbreak, through the mellow laid back Southbound, the hard rocking Rosalie, the emotion-laden Still in Love with You (possibly the best love song ever written), if you like rock then you owe it to yourself to give Live and Dangerous a listen. Dancing in the Moonlight and Suicide are some of the best rock songs ever made. Do yourself a favour and check out the Live And Dangerous DVD as well.

Highlights include: Dancing in the Moonlight,

(couldn't find one from Live and Dangerous), Still in Love With You

phenomenonp.jpg

#2 UFO - Phenomenon

It is difficult to comprehend the fact that guitarist Michael Schenker was only 19 years old when he jumped ship from Scorpions to join UFO (Phenomenon was his first album with the band). UFO's third release is full of iconic guitar parts, with songs like the classic Doctor Doctor, the scorching Rock Bottom and the melodic Space Child. I still get goosebumps when I hear the climax of Rock Bottom's solo. The album delivers really solid bluesy space-rock through and through, and it's one of those albums I can never seem to grow tired of. The album features a very good cover of Howlin' Wolf's Built For Comfort as well.

Highlights include: Doctor Doctor, Rock Bottom, Built For Comfort, Space Child.

mandodiaogivemefire.jpg

#3 Mando Diao - Give Me Fire!

Raised on a healthy dose of The Beatles and various britpop and punk bands, Mando Diao have garnered quite a bit attention from their 5th album, Give Me Fire!. While their previous releases were pretty lukewarm (although Ode To Ochrasy felt elaborate enough), this one has quickly become my favourite album released so far this year. Although their previous albums mostly sticked with a strict britpop/rock sound, in this one they explore a much wider spectrum of sounds indeed - combined with having two vocalists with vastly different styles, it helps keep everything fresh. Going from their usual rough sound with Blue Lining, White Trenchcoat, to latin-infused Gloria and Leave My Fire, a seductive High Heels and the The Shining which sounds like a concerto anthem; the album covers a lot. A Decent Life starts off very melancholically and then concludes into a catchy guitar crescendo, working as a perfect intro to Give Me Fire. Crystal is the best song they have ever written, with the line "Bergman said it all, the magic is in the fall."

Highlights include: Gloria, Blue Lining, White Trenchcoat,

rokyerickson.jpg

#4 Roky Erickson & The Aliens - The Evil One (Plus One)

The Evil One is haunted by demons, vampires and the devil but that's because Roky himself was haunted by them. The lyrics are confusing, repetitive and delightfully dark - you truly feel like you're listening to the words of a man who has come to the end of himself. The rumours concerning his life are controversial to say the least, and much of it is probably exaggerated or made up completely. This album gives a little insight into the world of a musical genius whose mind has started to rip at the seams. Brilliant.

Hightlights include:

blacklabelsocietyblesse.jpg

#5 Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride

Featuring complex layering of instruments, with screeching guitars and brilliant vocal harmonies makes this one of the most oft-played albums I have. Zakk Wylde's guitarplaying is truly unparalleled in today's heavy metal scene. The lyrics have dark overtones reminiscent of the original Black Sabbath - the gust vocals on "Stillborn" are actually from Ozzy Osbourne himself. The album is a superlative collection of metal mayhem that induces the feeling of pure powerhouse metal music. Worth to mention is that Zakk writes and produces everything in BLS himself, and plays all instruments apart from drums. Yup, that piano too.

Highlights include: Doomsday Jesus,

, , The Blessed Hellride.

panteracowboysfromhell.jpg

#6 Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

The summit of Pantera's career was Cowboys from Hell, a powerfully executed display of technique that is not only heavy as [cabbage], but is surprisingly catchy from start to end. This is their last great album. Don't get me wrong, their other albums were good. I enjoy Vulgar Display of Power immensely, but none of them hold a candle to CFH. A lot of this is due to Phil blowing out his voice later in the '90s - but in CFH he goes from growling to gut-wrenching wailing that would make Halford proud.

Highlights include: Cowboys From Hell, Message in Blood, Cemetery Gates,

glyder.jpg

#7 Glyder - Glyder

Glyder started out as a Thin Lizzy coverband, playing pubs all over Ireland, and later started writing their own material per advice by their fans - what you get is a band that, sound-wise, is like a modern version of Thin Lizzy with a healthy dose of NWOBHM influences thrown into the mix. It's everything I could hope a modern rock band to sound, using techniques and influences from their old classic counterparts, while still incorporating their own style and nuances into the music. The song Die Or Dance is a good example of this, with its hard rocky twin-guitar melodies and emotional yet catchy chorus - it is also my favourite track from the album.

Highlights include: Colour of Money, PUP, Stargazer, Die or Dance, Neutral Coloured Life.

larswinnerbackr.jpg

#8 Lars Winnerbäck - Kom

I wasn't sure if it was kosher to have Swedish albums on the list as well... but then I figured that it's my list, and hopefully there are people here who aren't turned off by our silly moon-language. Saying singer/songwriter Lars Winnerbäck writes excellent lyrics would be a big understatement, and it's probably the reason I like this album, along with most of his music, so very much. The album features rock/pop songs reminiscing about past relationships or when times were better and easier, or songs full of resentment and disgust. Regardless of the nature of the lyrics, the sheer ingeniousness of them always bring a laden smile to my face.

Highlights include: Du Gamla Fria Nord,

, Kom, Aldrig Riktigt [bleep].

zakkwyldeprideandgloryf.jpg

#9 Pride & Glory - Pride & Glory

Before Zakk Wylde formed Black Label Society (even before he grew the beard!), he formed a band called Lynyrd Skinhead, which would shortly change its name to Pride & Glory. The group released only one album. It is heavy no-[cabbage] southern rock with metal elements. Many of the things we associate Zakk Wylde with today isn't at all prominent here: there's none of the wailing Ozzy-like vocals and as far as the guitars go it's basically just him with a distortion pedal and a Marshall stack. Still rocking the bullzeye Les Paul. Really solid southern rock, it feels like music that's had all the unnecessary layers of [cabbage] carved away.

Highlights include: Harvester of Pain, Machine Gun Man.

albumaliveorjustbreathi.jpg

#10 Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing.

Intense, catchy and melodic. I know Killswitch Engage gets a lot of hate for doing their part in pussifying today's metal scene - but I really like this album a lot. The obligatory clean parts are great, certainly not as weak and angsty as most other metalcore bands'. I prefer this vocalist (Jesse Leach) more than I do the new one (Howard Jones). My Last Serenade is such a great song with its big riffs and melody-filled chorus.

Highlights include: My Last Serenade, Alive or Just Breathing, Temple From the Within.

deathsymbolic.jpg

#11 Death - Symbolic

Death was to death metal what Venom was to black metal, and with genius drumming and brutal vocals this album remains a shimmering statue in my collection. Boy that sounded pretentious, but this album really embodies everything I love about brutal metal.

Highlights include: Crystal Mountain, Misanthrope, Empty Words.

johnhenry.jpg

#12 Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry

Even though I like a lot of blues-oriented music, the actual blues scene is not something I normally pay much attention to. I even stumbled across this artist by chance, my old music teacher from high school sent me a link over Facebook to a live video of Joe's and it immediately sounded very interesting, so I decided to check out the album (The Ballad of John Henry) - and I loved it. It is very varied. Features a lot of quintessence groove-blues of course, but also some hard rockier songs, as well as a few slow bluesy tunes. The title track is just rocking as hell. The album also features two great covers: an interesting and punchy interpretation of Tom Waits's Jockey Full of Bourbon and a cover of James Cotton's Feelin' Good which is remarkably emotional.

Highlights include: The Ballad of John Henry, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Story of a Quarryman, Feelin' Good, Happier Times.

anthraxamongtheliving.jpg

#13 Anthrax - Among The Living

One of the first major thrash acts, it wasn't until the release Among The Living album that the band was catapulted to the frontline of the metal heap and firmly established their name alongside pioneering thrash bands such as Exodus, Megadeth and Metallica. They even wrote a song about Judge Dredd (I Am the Law)! Joey Belladonna is such a great metal vocalist.

Highlights include: I Am the Law, Indians, One World.

rustinpeacel.jpg

#14 Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Surely one of the greatest albums from the thrash era. The lyrics and vocals are snarling and ferocious, and Mustaine convincingly comes off as an angry bastard. The collaboration between the drums, bass and guitars during the intro in Holy Wars... the Punishment Due really makes me just want to sit back and bask in its absolute perfection. A masterpiece.

Highlights include: Holy Wars... the Punishment Due, Tornado of Souls, Hangar 18.

killerrfh.jpg

#15 Killer - Ready For Hell

Released in 1979, the Belgian Killer's debut album is dirty but simple rock'n roll, very reminiscent of Motörhead's sound. Blustering beats, hard-rockin' guitars, and vocals that couldn't care less if they are perfectly in tune. A perfect on-the-road album.

Highlights include: Laws Are Made to Break, It's Too Late, Killer.

cynictracedinair.jpg

#16 Cynic - Traced in Air

When thinking about Cynic's music you're doing yourself a disfavour by thinking in general music terms such as intro, vers and chorus. They play pretty much however they want. The playing skills in particular are evident in Traced in Air - but the individual skills of each member don't get in the way of the great degree of musical ensemble and the member's endeavour to reach the same destination. All through the opening track Nunc Fluens to Nunc Stans the band takes you on a journey that can only be described by superlatives.

Highlights include:

ledzeppelini.jpg

#17 Led Zeppelin - I

After tinkering with a new version of The Yardbirds, Jimmy Page and session veteran John Paul Jones teamed together with a couple of then unknowns, Robert Plant and John Bonham. Their chemistry was unmistakable, and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm not a big Zeppelin connoisseur (as in, I have two albums and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge as far as their music go), but supposedly Led Zeppelin I is the band's rawest and most blues based recording, and it does feature a lot of blues tracks with songs like Dazed And Confused, You Shook Me, I Can't Quit You Baby. And yeah, they did rip off old blues bands, and seldom gave credit, but they did so brilliantly.

Highlights include: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Your Time is Gonna Come, Communication Breakdown.

danzig.jpg

#18 Danzig - Danzig

The band's debut album features bluesy metal, with Glenn Danzig's trademark Jim Morrison-meets-Elvis like voice. The lyrics are dark, original and powerful, with plenty of double-meanings and ambiguity. The great thing about the lyrics is how Glenn Danzig pulls them off, often during the album he comes off sounding sarcastic.

Highlights include: Mother, Twist of Cain, Soul on Fire, She Rides.

neiyoung.jpg

#19 Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

Straight up rock'n roll in a live concert setting with a great selection of acoustic and rockers. My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue), and the slightly altered electric version Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) gives an excellent description of the entertainment industry. The music takes you up and down, but satisfies at every level.

Highlights include: Hey Hey, My MY (Into the Black), Powderfinger, My My, Hey Hey (Into the Blue), Thrasher.

arcticmonkeys.jpg

#20 Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

How I love the Sheffield accent. The band's debut album drips of energy through and through, and is shockfull of popculture references and intertextuality, "I've seen him with girls of the night and he told Roxanne to put on her red light". I can't help but smile a bit at the lyrics to Mardy Bum, as they ring all too familiar. Really solid and catchy indie rock.

Highlights include:

summongoathbound.jpg

#21 Summoning - Oath Bound

If I was to explain Summoning to someone who had never heard their music before, they'd probably laugh in my face. It's symphonic black metal... and the entire album centers around Tolkien's Middle Earth. The album even features a song sung entirely in orcish. But man is it epic and atmospheric! It is very keyboard-driven and the drums really stand out (they tend to sound like war-drums). You can tell the band has put a lot of the black metal-oriented sound they had on their previous albums behind, and instead focus on creating more pompously atmospheric music. When you're in the right mood a lot of the songs seem absolutely genius; almost beautiful.

Highlights include: Land of the Dead, Across the Streaming Tide, Mirdautas Vras, Menegroth.

ebbagron.jpg

#22 Ebba Grön - Kärlek & Uppror

Probably my favourite punk album ever released. Ebba Grön was basically Sweden's first (recognised) punk band that emerged during the late 70s. The lyrics in Kärlek & Uppror tend to be very dark and sarcastic (Mamma, Pappa, Barn in particular). Joakim Thåström has one of the most expressive voices I've heard, and this is the album in which they truly shine.

Highlights include: Staten och Kapitalet,

, Mamma, Pappa, Barn,

Bonus song (from a different album!):

, it's a song about the Berlin Wall. Thåström's voice truly delivers in this one - one of the most emotional songs I've heard. It was released over 25 years ago, yet you won't meet a single Swede today who doesn't know about Ebba Grön's Die Mauer.

rorygallaghercallingcar.jpg

#23 Rory Gallagher - Calling Card.

Rory Gallagher's milestone. Riff strong, funky, jazzy blues and folk rock. On his 8th studio album (his Taste days included) Rory Gallagher mixes plenty of styles and the result became hugely successful. Vigorous, groovy and honest music from one of Ireland's finest musicians. His absolute synchronisation with the guitar and sense of melody in songs like Do You Read Me and Secret Agent is outstanding. Excellently produced by Roger Glover also.

Highlights include: Secret Agent, Moonchild, Do You Read Me, I'll Admit You're Gone, Calling Card.

cursives.jpg

#24 Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Bold and honest lyrics that poke into your psyche. The Ugly Organ is greater than the sum of its parts, with tracks that flow into one another seamlessly regardless of the wildly varying tempos and stylistic changes, in that regard not surprisingly like a classical piece. It's a bit of a concept album that centers around a storyline about empty sex and relationships. The stringed instruments help it become that much more atmospheric.

Highlights include: Art is Hard,

hibrial.jpg

#25 Hibria - Defying the Rules

If you're looking for upbeat speed metal, Brazilian Hibria delivers on every level. There's really not much to say, as long as you appreciate the former you will grow to love this album the more you listen to it. If you like falsetto wailing, Iuri Sanson will blow your goddamn mind.

Highlights include:

, Faceless in Charge.

garymoorebluesalivefron.jpg

#26 Gary Moore - Blues Alive

Probably my favourite guitarist ever. I'm not even a fan of most of his albums, but he's capable of so very much under the right circumstances (e.g. his duet with B.B. King), and especially live. When he's in his live setting, he puts so much more emotion behind each note. It is quite remarkable. During the Still Got the Blues when he switches to the neck pickup at 4:22 - definitely my favourite moment in music ever.

Highlights include:

(couldn't find the proper one!),

imperiet.jpg

#27 Imperiet - Alltid Rött, Alltid Rätt

The title of the album is hinting towards a bit of a communist angle, which most of Joakim Thåström's songs do ("Alltid Rött, Alltid Rätt" means "Always Red, Always Right"). Imperiet was created with a few of the members from Ebba Grön - the most notable one, of course, being vocalist and front figure Joakim Thåström. It is a compilation album of all their hits, and while I normally tend to stay away from these albums, I feel that this is one of the better and most concise compilation albums I've encountered. Most of Imperiet's albums only had a couple of "great" songs per album, but this one literally features them all. Once again, Thåström's voice is truly one of a kind. The album also features a great interpretation of the Swedish cult poet Carl Michael Bellman's 81st epistle Märk Hur Vår Skugga. While most of their music goes back to Ebba Grön's punk/alternative rock roots, there's also a lot of songs that have synth elements.

Highlights include: Alltid Rött, Alltid Rätt,

, Kriget Med Mig Själv, Var E Vargen, Märk Hur Vår Skugga.

deeppurplefireballfront.jpg

#28 Deep Purple - Fireball

Definitely the most interesting Deep Purple album in my opinion. At points touching on the most real emotions of love, and the pain of failed relationships can certainly be heard. Freedom is so different and unlike any song they had previously made. It also features the aggressive Fireball, the folky Anyone's Daughter and the art rocky The Mule. Ian Gillan is one of the best rock singers we've ever had.

Highlights include: Fireball, No No No, Demon's Eye, Strange Kind of Woman, Freedom.

thekillershotfuss.jpg

#29 The Killers - Hot Fuss

The first time I heard The Killers was on some weekly top 20 list on the radio, and it was the song Somebody Told Me. The catchy and somewhat comedic chorus immediately caught my attention, so I decided to simply buy it. Turns out the song in question was a good indication of the album as a whole. Most songs are catchy, fun and overall satisfying without getting too complicated. The bassline in Jenny Was A Friend of Mine is great.

Highlights include: Jenny Was A Friend of Mine, Mr. Brightside, All These Things I've Done, Andy You're a Star, On Top.

crystalempirecover.jpg

#30 Freedom Call - Crystal Empire

Without sounding overly condescending, I've mostly grown away from power metal at this point. However, this album has always stayed with me on some level. I like it a lot. It certainly features quite a bit of the obligatory cheesiness, but yet it manages to stay interesting. It's fast, epic, melodious, catchy, and anything but flat.

Highlights include: Freedom Call, Pharaoh, Call of Fame, Palace of Fantasy.

enslavementofbeautymega.jpg

#31 Enslavement of Beauty - Megalomania

Dainty Delusive Doll immediately gives the listener the general idea of what the album will be: a really catchy melody breaks, along with black metal vocals. The keyboards are omnipresent, and it feels as though the remaining instruments are but supporting the keyboards and vocals. One of the best songs on the album, it ensnares your attention the second it starts.

Highlights include: Dainty Delusive Dolls, Comme Il Faut, The Venial Blur.

arntor.jpg

#32 Windir - Arntor

Arntor blends folk music (including the use of an actual accordian!) with black metal and a touch of power metal. The result is something truly breathtaking. The atmosphere of this album is chilly and the songs are moving in ways that transcend most metal music in general. Svartesmeden og Lundumyrstrollet is such a great song. I highly recommend picking this up.

Highlights include: Arntor Ein Windir, Svartesmeden og Lundumyrstrollet, Kampen.

zakkwyldebookofshadows.jpg

#33 Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows

Zakk's solo album features both folk, blues and country music. Book of Shadows is a real departure from the metal god style of Ozzy, and to a larger extent, his work with Black Label Society as well. Book of Shadows features mostly acoustic music, with a stronger southern folk feel. The strange impression one gets is that the style here is an odd mix of Allman Brothers and Black Sabbath. Strange, but it works amazingly well. The songs on this album are down-to-earth and mellow, yet punctuated by blistering and dazzling lead guitar work here and there (Sold My Soul in particular).

Highlights include: The Things You Do, Between Heaven and Hell, Sold My Soul, Throwin' It All Away.

grandfunk.jpg

#34 Grand Funk Railroad - Grand Funk

The funky power rock trio's best album in my opinion. What really makes this album such a classic is the super loud bass guitar and how it tends to be the lead instrument in most songs with equal, and sometimes even more, prominence than the actual lead guitar. And while they're not especially gifted musicians, and the lyrics rank somewhere in between "dumb" and "neanderthal"; the sheer energy of the band is just really infectious, and makes the whole album a real joy to listen to. Just check out the live version of

and you will see what I mean. I don't think I've ever seen a band have that much fun playing live.

Hightlights include: Got This Thing on the Move, Please Don't Worry, Inside Looking Out.

catscratchfever.jpg

#35 Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever

The Motor City Madman's biggest hit. This is one of those releases that if you truly like guitar-driven hard rock, you can't ignore. He really provides the perfect blend of heavy riffs with fun lyrics to produce one of the best hard rock releases of all time. To anyone that likes guitar - don't miss this.

Highlights include: Cat Scratch Fever, Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, Out of Control.

vampireweekendcd2.jpg

#36 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

M79 is one of those rare songs that always seems to lift up my spirit, no matter what - and Oxford Comma is such a fantastic song. The album is full of catchy, fun and clever pop music with African-inspired melodies and rhythms. It's something different; a joy to listen to.

Highlights include: Mansard Roof, Oxford Comma, A-Punk, M79, The Kids Don't Stand a Chance.

porcupinetreeinabsentia.jpg

#37 Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

A mix of catchy rock hooks with spacey ambient overtones. Tunes like Trains and Lips of Ashes are alluring, atmospheric pieces with a hint of Pink Floyd influence, as is the catchy The Sound of Muzak, complete with an irresistable chorus. Heartattack in a Layby and Collapse the Light into Earth both start with sparse piano notes and the singer singing the most amazing vocal melodies you could imagine, his voice full of passion and intensity.

marsvoltadelousedinthec.jpg

#38 The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium

Probably one of the most unbearable yet best albums I have. It's a very rewarding listen in the end though and it will grow on you. The lyrics tell the story of Cerpin Taxt, who tries to kill himself by overdosing on a mixture of morphine and rat poison. The attempt lands him in a week long coma during which he experiences visions of humanity and his own psyche. Upon waking, he is dissatisfied with the real world and jumps to his death. The story is said to be based on the death of artist Julio Venegas, who was a friend of the band. Despite it being one of the creepiest things I've heard, it's also beautiful in a way; especially the song Televators.

toothfang.jpg

#39 Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw

Great White Buffalo is a fabulous track, but all of the songs are good to great. Memorable. A couple are instrumental (Hibernation, Free Fall). All of them are absolutely cranking guitar-god genius.

hatecrewdeathroll.jpg

#40 Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll

Each song is powerful and explosive, yet there are those occasional breaks for some beautiful synth moments. Speaking of the synthesizer, its sound fits in perfectly with the heaviness of the songs. Their only good album, in my opinion - and it is really good.

vanmorrisonblowinyourmi.jpg

#41 Van Morrison - Blowin' Your Mind

The album features laid-back R&B music, with a truly exceptional vocalist. T.P Sheets is brilliantly executed and so full of feeling, and of course the classic Brown Eyed Girl. This album has got soul to the core.

lynyrdskynyrdpronounced.jpg

#42 Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced 'L?h-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)

Possibly one of the best albums to play during a summer BBQ, or when chilling at the beach with your friends. Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1973 debut is no less than a classic rock album. A classic classic rock album. Eight songs, all of them great. Prime riff-rockers (Gimme Three Steps, I Ain't The One, Simple Man) one of the best rock ballads ever (Tuesday's Gone) and one genuine all-time classic song (Freebird). There is not one weak spot on this album whatsoever.

crowbarb.jpg

#43 Crowbar - Crowbar

Doom/sludge metal so probably not for everyone. I can't put into words how absurdly heavy the guitars are. They crunch and roar with such a ferocity which, over a decade later, is pretty much unparalleled. I love the vocalist's hoarse yelling as well. It was produced by Phil Anselmo.

deathangeltheart.jpg

#44 Death Angel - The Art of Dying

Thrash metal reminiscent of Anthrax's. The band came back from a 14 year long hiatus with the release of this album, but it sounds like they never left at all; sounding pretty much exactly like they did in the '80s. The guitar gives you spectacular lead breaks and some very cool acoustic moments, and the singer is exactly how a metal vocalist should sound like with great vocal range. The songs are all perfect. Fast, aggressive, and catchy.

ritchieblackmorerainbow.jpg

#45 Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

An album full of classic songs, iconic riffs with some of the best musicians to ever be in the same group. Granted, had I given On Stage a more proper listen, I would probably have put it here instead. Snake Charmer is probably my favourite song from the album, followed by Temple of the King and Sixteenth Century Greensleeves. But all songs are fantastic.

voyage34thecompletetrip.jpg

#46 Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34: The Complete Trip

This is a semi-conceptual album about a boy named Brian and his friends who are experimenting with LSD. It's very ambient, very psychedelic, and very good. During his "voyage" Brian realises he cannot wake from his trip and is locked in his own subconscious "trippy" hell for the duration of the effects. It's the kind of music that just grabs ahold of you and whisks you off on a musical journey. It sounds nothing like current Porcupine Tree though, as it was actually released between their first and second albums.

blizzardofozz.jpg

#47 Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Not much to say, simply a great metal album. No fillers and exceptional guitar playing by Randy Rhoads (especially the solos in Revelation (Mother Earth) and, of course, Mr. Crowley). I also recommend the album Tribute (it's a compilation of live recordings from their concerts with Randy Rhoads), as it features mostly songs from the Blizzard of Ozz record. Suicide Solution from that album was literally the song that made me want to start playing guitar. It's a really, really good album as well.

sagas.jpg

#48 Equilibrium - Sagas

They're a self-described folk-metal band from Germany... and oh god this album is so flamboyantly and unashamedly epic. Yet they somehow manage to get away with it because they are that goddamn good. Basically imagine the LoTR soundtrack with electric guitars, double-pedal drums, a mean bass with black metal vocals in the background instead, and you have Sagas. You either hate it or you love it, and I definitely belong to the latter. Snüffel is the best track on the album, with a riff very reminiscent to La Grange playing near the end. Good times!

argus.jpg

#49 Wishbone Ash - Argus

I just had to have Wishbone Ash somewhere on the list, and this album would have to be my favourite. This album contains excellent songs and especially outstanding musicianship. The guitar melody in The King Will Come is beyond genius. While most rock bands during this period turned to blues for inspiration, Wishbone Ash instead let folk music inspire them which infused the music with a more ethereal style and feel. Very refreshing.

dioholydiver.jpg

#50 Dio - Holy Diver

Didn't know whether to put Holy Diver or The Last in Line here, but I chose the former, mainly because Don't Talk To Strangers is such a great sounding song. The album is pretty thoroughly representative of the good side of commercial 80's metal. Get it.

As you saw, some of the albums were in Swedish. Throw me a PM and I'll be happy to translate any lyrics.

2009rb9.jpg

Wishbone Ash! Awesome! I see Windir too - he was great.

And i still haven't understood the big deal with Winnerbäck hehe.

Very nice list, only a couple i didn't know. And thanks for reminding me of Wishbone Ash, i have the Argus album here but i haven't played it for ages.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

That was a nice and varied list, pleasant read through the descriptions as well.

The only thing I dissapprove of is the term 'almost beautiful', when you describe Summoning's songs. There's nothing 'almost' about them, baby!

I know most of the albums on this list, and those that I don't already know, I'll be curious enough to check them out (apart from the indie ones). Some of those which I knew, I never really got into, but your descriptions make me want to give them another chance.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

And i still haven't understood the big deal with Winnerbäck hehe.

I agree that his new material is pretty mediocre rock/pop, but his first few albums are very well written and enjoyable. Still, I see where you're coming from - he's pretty hyped over here.

I know most of the albums on this list, and those that I don't already know, I'll be curious enough to check them out (apart from the indie ones)

Why not give the indie ones a listen as well? If you haven't listened to it, how can you know it's not for you? This "genre exclusive!" type of thinking is such a shame because you are going to miss out on some great music that way.

2009rb9.jpg

Albums that I didn't expect, I own most of them though. No Pink Floyd though?

Not a big fan of Pink Floyd. To be honest I haven't bothered looking into them much, I have DSoTM which I like and I also enjoy Animals (the few times I've listened to it), but that about covers my knowledge on the band. It doesn't help that they refuse to have their albums on Spotify either, so I have no way of actually looking into them except buying the albums, but there are other albums I'd rather buy.

2009rb9.jpg

Nice to see Glyder in the top ten. =D>

Very good list, have quite a few of those albums and have a note of others to check out.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

You have almost the exact same musical tastes as my best friend's brother. I like most of the choices, but I don't understand how you can consider "De-Loused in the Comatorium" "unbearable".

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Nice list, Azvy! Some things I never heard of, but also a lot of things I recognize from conversations we had years ago. I remember when you discovered Ted Nugent and you urged me to download his entire discography (which I did ::' ) and couldn't stop listening to Cat Scratch Fever. You also tried Enslavement of Beauty on me, that wasn't much of a succes though. :P And I think it was with you, we were both starting to listen to Thin Lizzy and I borrowed a greatest hits record from work, and we listened to it together (if you know what I mean). We still have that same copy of the record. :P Surprised about all the indie-picks by the way! Up untill two days ago I never knew you listened to that kind of stuff (Vampire Weekend excluded).

And a little blues-tip I'm almost certain you'll enjoy: Julian Sas. He's big, hairy and from Holland. Very good on the guitar, and good live shows.

(best part starts at third minute) and

What's also surprising is the lack of Hendrix so far, especially with two guys who've had a passion for guitar as long as I know them.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Jesus, Roky Erickson is great. I'd never heard of him, so a big thanks for that one.

What do you think of the first two UFO albums? I haven't listened to them in a few years, but I remember them being pretty special. Flying, The Coming of Prince Kajuku - All that good stuff.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

liveanddangerous.jpg

#1 Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

phenomenonp.jpg

#2 UFO - Phenomenon

panteracowboysfromhell.jpg

#6 Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

albumaliveorjustbreathi.jpg

#10 Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing.

deathsymbolic.jpg

#11 Death - Symbolic

johnhenry.jpg

#12 Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry

anthraxamongtheliving.jpg

#13 Anthrax - Among The Living

rustinpeacel.jpg

#14 Megadeth - Rust in Peace

ledzeppelini.jpg

#17 Led Zeppelin - I

danzig.jpg

#18 Danzig - Danzig

deeppurplefireballfront.jpg

#28 Deep Purple - Fireball

#34 Grand Funk Railroad - Grand Funk

catscratchfever.jpg

#35 Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever

porcupinetreeinabsentia.jpg

#37 Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

blizzardofozz.jpg

#47 Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

dioholydiver.jpg

#50 Dio - Holy Diver

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You have some very nice picks (especially Killswitch Engage, Pantera, Porcupine Tree, and UFO)

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

#29?

TWENTY NINE? Haha I'm joking. It looks like you're into the rock and such so I didn't expect much out of the category. I can agree on some things from the list, although I havn't heard some material from there.

You have almost the exact same musical tastes as my best friend's brother. I like most of the choices, but I don't understand how you can consider "De-Loused in the Comatorium" "unbearable".

I didn't mean it in a negative way (how could I if it's on the list?). I was 15 or 16 the first time I heard it, and back then I didn't like it at all, but the more I listened to the album the more it grew on me. Now I love it.

snip

Haha, the good old #darkwebz days. I don't know a lot of indie bands, but there are some that I definitely like. And wow, Julian Sas is great! He reminds me a lot of Rory Gallagher (especially The Devil Got My Number), shame you can't seem to get ahold of his CDs in Sweden. I'll continue looking though.

As for Hendrix, similar situation as with Pink Floyd: I haven't bothered checking him out, mostly because I don't really know where to start.

Jesus, Roky Erickson is great. I'd never heard of him, so a big thanks for that one.

What do you think of the first two UFO albums? I haven't listened to them in a few years, but I remember them being pretty special. Flying, The Coming of Prince Kajuku - All that good stuff.

Glad you like him. It's a real shame he made a series of bad decisions along the way, otherwise I'm positive he'd have similar cult status as Neil Young and thelike today. I haven't listened to those UFO albums in a long time either. To be honest I really like the entire '70s period with UFO, and those two albums are both very good, but I prefer UFO1 over Flying (although the songs Flying and Prince Kajuku are fantastic). Flying (the album) is very experimental and quite interesting in that sense... but I don't think it's as solid as Phenomenon and Lights Out for example; and doesn't feel quite as solid as UFO1 does. I guess I just enjoy the rockabilly sound UFO1 has.

I can agree on some things from the list, although I havn't heard some material from there.

That's why I tried to post youtube links to the majority of the songs. You don't even need to search for the songs yourself, just click! :P And there's nothing wrong with The Killers!

2009rb9.jpg

I love some of those albums, but many of them I've never heard of. I'll definitely give them a try though, you make a very convincing case for many albums I'd probably never listen to otherwise and I'm all for broadening my music tastes. I love Glyder by the way, you talked about them a while ago but I never mentioned it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Haha yeah, you included summoning. :thumbup: I think I can agree Oath Bound is one of their best albums too, although all of them are great.

Good picks overall.

There is a lot of good albums there, but I certainly would have included at least 1 U2 albums, my choice being "How to dismantle an atomic bomb", it is quite fair to say they have been one of the most influential rock bands of the last 20 years. Their latest album though, yes it is pure [cabbage]e.

Surprised to see Enslavement of Beauty on there. I dusted it off just now, I have to say that for some reason I still think that The Dying Buds of May is the best track on there.

There is a lot of good albums there, but I certainly would have included at least 1 U2 albums, my choice being "How to dismantle an atomic bomb", it is quite fair to say they have been one of the most influential rock bands of the last 20 years. Their latest album though, yes it is pure [cabbage].

I can't stand U2, sorry. I'm not not familiar enough with their music to rightfully judge it, but if they are one of the most influential rock bands in the last 20 years... wouldn't that list have to be pretty long then? Like, ridiculously so? I've honestly never heard a band mention them among their influences, at all. From what I've heard, they just make bland corporate rock/pop music? And they have a lead singer who goes around preaching against politicians and their fat wallets while he happily charges $100 per ticket.

2009rb9.jpg

As for Hendrix, similar situation as with Pink Floyd: I haven't bothered checking him out, mostly because I don't really know where to start.

Well, he only has three regular albums, right? There's a [cabbage]load of stuff released after his death, though.

Are you eperienced?, Axis: Bold as love, Electric Ladyland are his studio albums, and the live project Band of Gypsys. Woodstock and BBC Sessions are essential as well. Or you could just get the compilation record Experience Hendrix which has got the most famous stuff on it. :)

21o4pav.jpg

There is a lot of good albums there, but I certainly would have included at least 1 U2 albums, my choice being "How to dismantle an atomic bomb", it is quite fair to say they have been one of the most influential rock bands of the last 20 years. Their latest album though, yes it is pure [cabbage].

I can't stand U2, sorry. I'm not not familiar enough with their music to rightfully judge it, but if they are one of the most influential rock bands in the last 20 years... wouldn't that list have to be pretty long then? Like, ridiculously so? I've honestly never heard a band mention them among their influences, at all. From what I've heard, they just make bland corporate rock/pop music? And they have a lead singer who goes around preaching against politicians and their fat wallets while he happily charges $100 per ticket.

Couldn't really care for band attitudes and the like so I wont answer all those questions, but they are 1 on the most consistent best selling rock bands of the last 20 years, it says something about their music.

My unlce likes them a lot as well, that says a lot about their music too.

21o4pav.jpg

Well, he only has three regular albums, right? There's a [cabbage] of stuff released after his death, though.

Are you eperienced?, Axis: Bold as love, Electric Ladyland are his studio albums, and the live project Band of Gypsys. Woodstock and BBC Sessions are essential as well. Or you could just get the compilation record Experience Hendrix which has got the most famous stuff on it. :)

Oh he only made three albums? Haha, I didn't even know that. Well I'll definitely have to check them out then, since they're all on Spotify too. Thanks! :thumbup:

2009rb9.jpg

So I just realized, no Angizia? :(

I think they're great, but I don't think I've ever listened to any of their albums from start to finish... so I wouldn't know what album to choose.

And as usual with lists like these, some bands are bound to be forgotten about.

2009rb9.jpg