More Avatar and Signature Freedom

Biabf

As a "function not gloss" freak - you seem to have little idea of optimization of available resources.

Try reshuffling what content you have in your sig.

And you'll notice I ditched your stats sig... seems to have no purpose other than to ah.... nothing.

And you'll notice I ditched your stats sig... seems to have no purpose other than to ah.... nothing.

I'm going to have to take that as a direct insult. (Never thought you to be that kind of person, but 'oh well'... first time for everything, eh?)

I've got several reasons for that sig, including the proverbial "Please go view my stats if you want to know" response that I give people because I don't want to have to constantly answer those questions. Also, even though my account on RS has never been hacked, it does help me keep on my toes about the issue of it possibly happening. I'm pretty attached to my "namesake main account" (especially since I am the one and only "D_V_Devnull" in existence) after having worked on it for over 1.5 years. (Yes, if I lost it, I'd be crying. That account has my only remaining link to any buddies on the web who play RuneScape, as well as it is my master account and I wouldn't want someone stealing my name from me.)

Gee, thanks for knocking me into an upset and nearly off-topic state. :x

***Walks off with a headache and a half extra...***

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

My dialup argument is just an example of the uselessness of huge signatures. Yes you can turn them off. What if some people like seeing the signatures? I'm just pointing out different examples against the whole 'increase the size again' idea.

Rick's removal of the stats sig is actually a decent point, since your RSN is a link to your stats under your avatar. The 800kb was also just a theoretical extreme with exact numbers. Of course all 15 posts won't be *exactly* at the size limit, but many people do try to cram as much as they can into the allotted space which can and does result in larger page sizes. I also wasn't pointing the 'pretty signature' comment at just DV, but everyone that's pushed for a larger sig size. I know the quote made it look like it was, but that wasn't the intent, sorry.

People should be happy it isn't like the RSO boards and we actually have signatures and avatars in the first place. :?

My dialup argument is just an example of the uselessness of huge signatures. Yes you can turn them off. What if some people like seeing the signatures? I'm just pointing out different examples against the whole 'increase the size again' idea.

I think I pointed out that it would be nice to have an option to hide signatures, but click to display on a case-by-case basis. However, I didn't get specific enough with info as to what might trigger this behavior. For example, there could be settings open to a user that they could set, such that they could say "If images are more than ## KB in size, hide the signature, or don't show if greater than ## KB."... also "If signature text is greater than "###" characters, hide or don't show the signature." This would cover the issue rather well. :) ...

Rick's removal of the stats sig is actually a decent point, since your RSN is a link to your stats under your avatar.

There's one reason you did not consider then, other than what I had already mentioned. Some people can't access RuneScape from some places, but can access Tip.It Forums and RuneWeb.Net ... this means that my RSN link is rendered useless. :( ...

The 800kb was also just a theoretical extreme with exact numbers. Of course all 15 posts won't be *exactly* at the size limit, but many people do try to cram as much as they can into the allotted space which can and does result in larger page sizes.

I figured this. Nothing to be much bugged over here, but please read above, as well as my item directed at 'parabola' back in my 2nd post before this.

I also wasn't pointing the 'pretty signature' comment at just DV, but everyone that's pushed for a larger sig size. I know the quote made it look like it was, but that wasn't the intent, sorry.

No real harm done. Don't sweat it, and consider yourself forgiven. :D

(I personally hate grudges anyway.)

People should be happy it isn't like the RSO boards and we actually have signatures and avatars in the first place. :?

I'll more than agree with this. No avatar or signature is far worse than having one by a longshot. Especially since you can't sense someone's mental state.

I think I just dropped another $10 of my mind into that. :lol:

Well, enjoy discussing. :)

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Yea but if people really care about your stats they'll click the link.

If they can't access it from where they are - they might later.

It's balance of what you WANT against what you NEED.

You seem to want to have all of it in your sig, when you don't need all of it.

Ditch something that isn't critical and you'll be fine.

I killed the stats sig because it's generic, and i doubt a lot of people really care for them, other than their desire to show off stats and get an easy egoboost from it.

My only complaint is the avatar limit. 6kb is a joke. We should have it at around 8-10kb and allow us to host it on an external website like DV Devnull said. Its not like its going to be that big of a hassle expanding the limit on an avatar. Surely. :-k

I have changed the avatar limits to 8KB and 100x100 , with the ability to use an avatar linked from another site.

Avatars linked from other sites will be automatically checked by the scripts to make sure they are within the allowed limits and will be rejected if they are not.

As for signature changes, none have been or will be made any time soon.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

I have changed the avatar limits to 8KB and 100x100 , with the ability to use an avatar linked from another site.

Avatars linked from other sites will be automatically checked by the scripts to make sure they are within the allowed limits and will be rejected if they are not.

Cool. Thank you. :) ... Just one question, are the limits for external avatars an "either" or a "both"? (Just asking. I understand if it is "both". :) ...)

As for signature changes, none have been or will be made any time soon.

I figured this might end up being a "pipe dream" addition. :roll: ... Well, no problem, seeing as I have lived with it. It ain't the end of the world if we don't get extra signature room. :lol:

Thank You,

Mr. D. V. Devnull

External avatars ftw, now I can get my randomising one back ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

External avatars ftw, now I can get my randomising one back ^_^

I was wondering how you had that XD.

Yeah, me too. How on earth do you make an image do that?

Cool. Thank you. :) ... Just one question, are the limits for external avatars an "either" or a "both"? (Just asking. I understand if it is "both". :) ...)

Of course it's going to be 'both'... Otherwise you could just get someone making an image with massive dimensions that had a small filesize. Example: I just experimented and made a 500x500 .gif with a filesize of 506 bytes.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

800k is way too big of a signature. It'd make these forum like like heck.

LOL!!! :lol: ... 800K was the total mentioned for adding up 20 different 40KB sigs on one page. Anywho, I accept that the total is a hair oversize. Heck, 30KB is probably pushing it per sig area.

~Mr. Devnull

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is my opinion.

As time goes on we need to revisit this issue.. every year or two. So that we can evaluate this.

IMHO on the interweb, there is less then 50% of the population using dial up... I would be inclined to put it more towards 20-30%...

Why do i say those numbers? Because i rarely hear anyone using dial up anymore. Cable and telephone companys promote broadband minimums at such a small rate that.. honestly i think those that are using dial up.. are old people who don't change much..

So over time broadband will become the norm.. and at some point we will have to tell people.. If your on dial up and don't want to be burdened by signatures, you have the option to hide them.

Are we to that point yet? no.. but its not to far off...

In reguards to sizes.. I can see limiting them forever if tip.it hosted them. (this could use up a ton of bandwidth but remove risks simalar to the WMF bug from jan 2006)

But if a person is using a photo site that allows remote linking, then i think there should be in time a adjustment of file size limits...

Start out adding 10-15k to limits.. then review 2 years later.. and so on..

Yes page sizes will grow.. but over time.. and to grow with the new computer technology...

Now in reguards to how it looks.. I have to disagree, yes people look at posts and read.. and judge a person there... But when they see a signature that imprints who they are.

Here are some examples.. some good.. some extremely bad..

bionic.gifbionic3.gif9393761154598b45d5d919.jpg

salamander_151206_fin.gifzezmtdew35rb.gif

This one is probabbly NOT ever going to be a sig @ 1.5megs (hidden)

[hide]hugh%20and%20knittin.gif[/hide]

Warning.. probably offensive but funny

[hide]weesig3.gif[/hide]

but you knew who they were and if a topic interested you.. it allows you to see the opinion of just those you want to see (or trust more)

Signatures as we can see are growing in complexity from the basic pixel.. to the super duper pixel with shading and all that..

Some of the more memorable sigs have been animated.. and i feel that will not change.. and in time size limits will have to be changed so people can do animation more. (please note the smallest i could get the large 1.5 meg file down to was only 150k and it looked.. decent .. but not perfect.

My point is we will have to always have pixel size limitations (to avoid issues) (and this will change in the future but not as fast since we are talking screen sizes not file)

But file sizes.. they should always be re-evaluated and often.. For pure dial up users/those that don't want sigs.. there is the option to remove them all.. and in time diap up users will have to understand.. you want sigs you wait for download..

*steps off soap box*

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

As time goes on we need to revisit this issue.. every year or two. So that we can evaluate this.

Fine, we'll re-evaluate every 2 years like you said.

And since signature limits were revised in '06, and avatar sizes were revised just a few months ago , we'll see you next year.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear