Tip.It Times: 1 Mar 2009 - NEW ARTICLE ADDED

n_odie

^_^ Hope everyone enjoys the articles! More surprises to come next week!

Sadly my time for the fictional section has ended for now, but be sure to watch out for the next author for next week. You're in for another great story!

Please be sure to help us point out any mistakes that are present. Some of us edited these articles without caffeine. :lol: :oops:

Cool, I'm reading them now.

Replying to "Going Solo". I agree that Jagex has indeed made the game more solo oriented. I do somewhat miss the interaction the game used to have and I certainly think the GE was a contributing factor.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Hmm.. Only two articles? Aren't there usually 3 or 4? Although, I admittedly only read one or two :P

they will probably add another in about 1 hour lol :lol:

Going solo:

i don't really care about the Game 'becoming less multiplayer',if you want to go somewere with your rs-friends you still can.

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

I don't like parts of the game where I have to cooperate with someone, I'd rather do it solo. I didn't like heroes quest at all.

I think people should be free to decide if they want to play together, but the solo option should always be there. I'd rather talk to friends via clan chat and do whatever I want.

2dvjurb.png

This week has these two articles as some of the usual writers were unavailable.

/me smacks psvstef for hour joke (Fine I admit some truth to it XD) :lol:

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

I can't say I agree with the article on going solo. Yes, it would be nice to be able to do more quests with friends ect but there are a lot of players who can't get themselves together a little party of 4 or 5 people (myself included), it's not so simple as just "gather some friends". Jagex is probably just thinking about those really so that those who don't like social interaction or find it more difficult won't be put at a disadvantage.

Nice ending to Saradomin's Sun though. It's been the first fiction story I've read and I'm now hoping that the next week's shall be good too. I really enjoyed the story Forsakenmage <3:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Here, let me write up another article and let you post it three hour later. \'

(Just kidding.)

Thanks for the comment, Racheya. ^_^ To be honest, I was thinking about having Aestas die... But that seemed too tragic. :| Felt this would be better.

Here, let me write up another article and let you post it three hour later. \'

(Just kidding.)

Thanks for the comment, Racheya. ^_^ To be honest, I was thinking about having Aestas die... But that seemed too tragic. :| Felt this would be better.

That would have been a bit too sad :(. She was a really sweet girl. I think it's great how she turned out instead. :^_^:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

considering the people that play rs i wouldnt like a forced group quest lol everyones at different levels and someone like me with low qp would have everyone in my clanchat do the quest b4 me and id have to find some randomer to do it w/ me. Rs quest cant be done more than once thats why group quest would fail once my whole clanchat does it by the time i get the quest requirements to do the quest id have noone to help me.

Also another reason that rs really doesnt rely on groups is because everyone can raise every skill freely so you can get 99 all and you dont have to go out and find people that are a certain class.

I dont think jagex is afraid of us making friends and getting emails and stuff as the reason thiers not more small group content but also things the already have such as the quest cape and that some people have real trouble finding groups.

like my friend did heroes quest with me and then her other friend couldnt do it and got mad.

so anyway......

group quest would only work if they could be done multiple times.

StarViv.png

Is there gonna be anymore of the story: "war running" ?

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Going Solo ~

I have also had similar thoughts on how the game is becoming more single-player orientated and think that quite a substantial amount of people only play because of relations they have with other gamers. If it wasn't for all the failing freaks in the clan chats I visit, I would have quit long ago. ::'

Also, that Tip on the noting produce makes me want to start farming again. I never knew that. #-o

Retired Crew Member | Retired RuneScape Player

I don't like the mandatory group quests. The reasons why Hero's quest annoyed me had nothing to do with the fact it was forcing me to interact with other players; I couldn't find a player who was on that specific quest with the correct requirements (black arm or phoenix?). Somebody was nice enough to designate a specific world for Shades of Mort'ton (although it was in world 2 which was impossible to get in) otherwise I wouldn't have been able to finish that quest.

This isn't to say that I don't like group activities, and I believe Runescape has plenty of them: Castle Wars, Pest Control, God Wars Dungeon, Corporeal Beast, Stealing Creation, Barbarian Assault, etc. But I believe Runescape is fundamentally a one-player game. It always has been.

I have my own opinions about the Grand Exchange and the trade restrictions, but I can't honestly say I miss having to spend up to hours on the forums looking for a trade while dealing with scammers, lurers, or just shady merchants looking to rip you off.

They did add clan chat, and though it could be improved, i still consider it a valuable tool. I could see extending the friend's list, and why not let us leave messages for our friends who are offline?

I wouldn't mind seeing an increase in content involving player interaction as long as it would be optional. I don't like the idea of quests that "force you to interact with players and do things together." Most of my friends are at different levels and different stages with their character, not to mention they are on at different times. It's too much of a pain in the butt to have to organize a platoon. Just let me play already!

Edit: That was a great DYK tip and I can't believe I didn't know that! Thanks!

rssig2.png

Did you know...

... that you can use farming produce on the tools Leprechaun in order to note them? This produce includes grimy herbs, allotments, flowers, fruits and more! (Thanks Ddraiggoch06)

That's awesome! I never knew that. ::'

Reading the article right now. :)

EDIT

Going Solo was a good read. But as someone said above there are certain things (like penguin hunting) that do bring players together. Jagex should be aiming at some more content like that.

Also the link to this forum thread doesn't work, it justs sends you back to the top of the page.

Keep on reading through next month. You'll be surprised and hopefully not disappointed.

p2gq.jpg

the link to discuss just takes you to the times page not forum....

i gotta say that did you know is by far most useful one yet... i never knew that

dj_phox.png

Re: Going Solo

Perhaps Jagex is afraid of us befriending people... more and more rules seem to forbid me and scare me from making new friends out of paranoia of losing my account.

I think the author's reading too much into Jagex's policies. They tell us not to exchange personal details? As the author says, that's for player safety; it doesn't mean that Jagex hates the idea of friendship extending beyond their game. The friends list is too short? People have always complained that the bank's too small as well; Jagex has always shown limits for data storage. We can't conclude from this that they don't want us to have more than 100 friends; it's far more likely that they just don't want to store the data or transmit the extra chat. (They don't even seem to save our preferences for the quest list filter or the Run button.)

RuneScape's got plenty of multiplayer stuff, and we can do most of it when we like. I don't think we need to demand that quests be like that too. I'd rather see Jagex find some way of letting players exchange contact details at their own risk without violating the COPPA legislation, or whatever they've got to obey, and let players sort themselves out for friendships. We don't need them to force us into meeting people.

Keep on reading through next month. You'll be surprised and hopefully not disappointed.

yaay!!! =D> =D>

I loved that story, was really well written.

Saradomin sun i'm sad it ended, but in my opinion ended on a cliffhanger..

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Re: Going Solo

Jagex has always shown limits for data storage. We can't conclude from this that they don't want us to have more than 100 friends; it's far more likely that they just don't want to store the data or transmit the extra chat. (They don't even seem to save our preferences for the quest list filter or the Run button.)

i have no idea how jagex stores player data but its probably just some sort of list associated with each character and they store the image libraries once for everyone, therefore each player account probably doesn't take up much space on their servers.

goro_fujita.png

Wow, never in the past have I so vehemently disagreed with something in a Tip.it Times that I have gone through the trouble to post, but 'Going Solo' really makes your eyes turn red as you read it.

To start off I must say I am what you could call a 'casual' player, having recently returned to Runescape from WoW after finding that college really takes up a lot of what used to be play time (classes and social functions leave me without the time to invest in a hardcore MMO), and being generally dissatisfied with Wotlk (Burning Crusade was perfection, Wotlk, not so much). So my standpoint is of a much less time played than the author , as I only play as a time killer when I am bored.

That being said, one of the most lovable things about RS is the solo aspect. It is an MMO that you can play completely on your own, apart from other players most of the time, letting you determine your own path. Due to the large amount of time invested in leveling the skills in this game, the multiplayer online aspect is almost necessary, but secondary to the single player experience. Without the multiplayer aspect, there would be no reason to spend so much time leveling all those skills, but in an MMO environment, there is a large player base to which you can flaunt your acheivements and hard work you poured in during your solo experience. If runescape were to be ported to a console, I think its popularity would be almost non-existant if it wasnt online, I mean, sure you finally got those 99 achievements, but its in a console single-player, so who is going to know? Or more importantly, who is going to care?

Group questing, while fun, is not part of the runescape experience, and rightfully so. Having been in an MMO environment in Wotlk where group questing was almost mandatory, this can been extremely restricting to what certain players can accomplish. The majority of players dont belong to clans, and dont have a large base of people which they quest with. This would force people to go out of their way and find people with which to quest, and arent there enough limits on what a casual player can do? Friends are a good aspect of RS, befriending people you play with and chatting with them can make the game much more enjoyable. But if your complaint is you dont have enough to make you and your friends interact, then you are clearly hurting for something this game cannot offer. I know it sounds like a broken record, and you may not have realized it yet, but Runescape IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A SOCIAL LIFE. If you want to do more with your friends, don't fault Jagex for not giving you enough to do in an online game with them. Get out in public, make some tangible friendships, and experience some of the planet we call earth.

I wont knock the GE when it comes to its effectiveness. Having not to search down items I want for hours is awesome, and the death of merchanting is great for me, cause I despised merchanters. The GE is a convenience for players, and a very very large one, anyone that would want to take it away to force players to interact more directly is a fool. While the same cannot be said for trade restrictions, the GE makes the game better, pure and simple.

In the end, forcing people to interact with each other more by disbanding the GE or more forced group quests would hurt the game on the whole by putting a restriction on what all players can do. On of the best parts of RS is that you control the amount of player interaction you have, and even though you can go through the game completely solo playing and never talk to anyone else, the economy and other factors will make sure that other players have an effect on your playing experience whether you realize it or not. The MMO aspect of RS will always be there, and it is the reason that many players play, and its the reasons that they strive for higher levels and better items, because if it wasnt social, no one would care how many 99's you have, or how expensive your gear is. Cause accomplishments are only so if someone recognizes them, and without the MMO aspect of RS, who will recognize you?

I wasn't a big fan of the article on friends in rs, it was kinda drawn out, and with the line "does jagex expect us to have 100 or 200 friends?" i'm sorry but of course they do..... kinda obvious when thats the limit lol, but not to sound to critical the rest of the article was pretty good

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117