Tip.It Times: 22 Mar 2009

n_odie

What i don't understand is if Jagex is ok with destroying things like range training with chinchompas and thieving training with PP why the heck would they be so worried about putting in a second useful agility course. It wasn't even like the massive spam xp like the previous 2 mentioned.

Anyways, good article. We all have aspects of the game we complain about. Jagex just fixed one that I used to always complain about with route finder, so maybe sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease?

rssig2.png

1. release next grandmaster quest

2. release another gm quest

3. make a boss that is only soloable that you dont have to fight for the spot(like barrows but harder)

4. add a summoning minigame

5. take more precausions against spammers(in-game and on the rsof)

6. make agility usefull!

7. make minning "veins" where you can get upto 28 ores like in woodcutting

8. find a way to control the release of new items prices(ex: introduce some through the ge automaticly, or untradeable till 2nd week)

9. release chinning for melee

10. make sallys much more usefull!!!!

those are my ten

Y_Z.png

Yeah i half-agree about the spawn taking stuff. whilst i played i used to do alot of blue drags and chinchompas.

Now with blue drags i'd play nice most the time and if people were being nice i'd just take 1 dragon to myself, however if someone was being disrespectful or trying to 'steal' my dragon spawn i'd either just make sure i was faster every time until they left or i'd take both spawns to force them to go (yes i was welll practiced at microing to drag spawns) but i would never take losing a drag spawn for a answer. Now with blue drags thats not a problem. In this case spawn stealers is fine cos its an even playing field. Its about who's faster which is fine.

With chins its a whole different story. People were very competitive to get the chins and often wanted just 1 per world per spot (because they believed this was faster) but I knew from lots of experience that one person could not possibly manage the spawn control and still maximise xp (130k xp per hour). Now I was helping alot of people maximise xp by being 2 on a world by teaching them good formations for full spawn control but when a third or fourth guy came a long and tried to hunt it ruined the spawn control and diluted the xp so you'd be lucky to get 70k xp per hour. now for this there was nothing you could do- everyone was guarenteed to lose out. You could play dirty to get rid of him by stealing traps and planting traps/flowers on his trap spots or by chasing chins out of his trap areas (this was funy cos they don't respawn) but everyone still loses out on xp on that world. IN this case spawn stealing is just not acceptable. They would help themselevs and everyone by finding a less busy world.

So yeah i'm split on when stealing spawns is fair play or not.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

A coule of good articles there, although im sure there was a small mistake in the first article.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I thought about one of the articles for a while, and He's right...I do complain for something...A better way to train hunter! I like the skill, but dislike the fact that I have to stay far from civilization at a chin spot that is likely crowded.

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Obviously Ts doesn't know you ALWAYS burn your first shrimp.

I think he knows that- he's trying to say that the game isnt random- because its programmed that you should burn your first shrimp and not the second.

I personally liked all of the articles, especially Ts' one. Its so true \' \' :thumbsup:

petepont.png

[hide=My Very Low Goals...]petepont.png

petepont.png

petepont.png[/hide]

[hide=Stolen from Eddie_682]Guy 1:Poisoning daggers for free!

Guy 2:er, so I give you a dagger, you poison it, and you hand it back right?

1:yes that's right, can I have your dagger please.

2:why not just hand out free weapon poison?

1:I want xp from poisoning them

2:that sounds a lot like item scamming to me

1:it is.[/hide]

I'm always right. Remember that. I'm always right, even when I'm wrong

I don't see why Drakan cares so much about Count Draynor in the fictional article. Draynor was exiled from Morytania for cowardice or something, there was a letter in Postbag from the Hedge about him.

I don't see why Drakan cares so much about Count Draynor in the fictional article. Draynor was exiled from Morytania for cowardice or something, there was a letter in Postbag from the Hedge about him.

He was acting pretty nonchalant about him, don't you think? He doesn't care about Count Draynor so much as about what Prysin might find out by investigating him.

p2gq.jpg

good read

mmk for my list

#1 fix the drinking animation for beer and other alchoholic drinks :ohnoes:

#2 continue the rise of the red axe/forgetable tale... questline(worst cliffhanger ever imo)

#3 update the d pl8 its pretty good as it is but the arms are just so wrong #-o

acctually thats about all i have atm im pretty happy with jagex cept for these 3 things NEED to change pl0x :x though i do admit spawn stealers are jerky

I agree. Runescapers are the whiniest bunch of people I have ever known. :(

Loved all the articles btw :)

You know you just contradicted yourself into that insult. :|

I rather liked the last article though, because of whining, greedy players back then the entire point of "The Festive Season" was killed because all they wanted was the item for its price, not its true intention. Im glad I logged out right away when I got a Red PartyHat back then....now if only my account didnt get stolen too :(

Popoto.~<3

I thought Ts was basically right, for the most part. I especially get tired of hearing about how the economy is wrecked. I think that when people say that, what it really means is that prices shifted in a way that doesn't help them. Obviously, blaming the game when you lose your spot or don't get that drop you want is bogus, too.

So I was nodding the whole time I was reading this article, right up until the last example, where the agility course comes up. I think griping about game updates has its place. Some people didn't like all the experience it gave. They felt like it was screwing up the balance of the game (someone else will bicker about that, but not me), and I don't see how it's wrong for them to voice their opinions. If you always keep quiet nobody will ever hear you. Besides, they wouldn't have gone on forever. Who was the last guy who complained about the pure essence update?

Some other people got mad when they changed the experience (or something like that), but, again, why shouldn't they say what they think? They liked what they had before. It totally makes sense to try to change what you don't like. When people complain they are basically pushing an agenda. The author makes it sound like such an awful thing, even though they're doing pretty much the same thing with that article.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

Personally I do not believe in luck, as you cannot program true randomness without hooking your server up to a Geiger-counter. To prove my point; How many of you have successfully cooked their very first piece of raw shrimp on Tutorial Island?

- The pseudorandom functions used by computers are, as you say, not actually random. However, it is impossible to efficiently* distinguish them from true randomness.

- Assuming the runescape servers use a single pseudorandom generator (as opposed to one per player), the result of the pseudorandom generator will depend on the amount of random numbers it has generated so far, i.e. your pseudorandom number will depend on the amount of monster drops, trees chopped, ores mined, etc. since the last server reset - a highly unpredictable quantity. Whether it is actually random depends on whether or not human players are deterministic.

- The cooking range, or fire (it's been a while since I visited tutorial island) on tutorial island may well be a special, non-random range or fire, specifically made to ensure players fail at least once (it's a tutorial, after all, new players should see both the successful and unsuccessful outcomes).

* for a certain well-defined technical meaning of "efficiently"

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

"Especially in the United States, there have been very little of such restrictions, and the disaster this has led to is pretty obvious."

I suggest you research the current situation a bit more before making claims like the above quote.

We are not, by any means, in our current situation because of "no restrictions on trades." Also, even to suggest that there are no restrictions on trades is ridiculous. Sherman Act, anyone? We are in this current situation because of greed....greed from both lenders and borrowers. People borrowing loans they couldn't possibly repay, and the banks allowing them. Banks then putting the funds into (extremely) risky investments, etc.

I am not going to go deep into our current situation, as this is not the place for it. However, I urge you to not make claims based on water-cooler ideas.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

[hide=]Lock and Loathe

Featured Article by Ts_Stormrage

Over the years, it has become quite apparent that RuneScape has offered a multitude of paths to play the game. Each and every kind of player has at least one area that they will always try to better themselves in. You got your Questers, your skillers, your PVP-ers, your minigame fanatics, you name it.

And unfortunately, there are people out there who always seem to find something to complain about, even while still enjoying the rest of game. I have touched on this in the past with my article "The Coal in our Stockings", but since then I have noticed something that prompted me to dig a little deeper.

We've all desired a certain item to be added, an agility short-cut implemented, a Quest-line continued, or, like the lion share of the crowd, the Grand Exchange rules relaxed. Hell, I'll admit that I've been waiting for too long for the weapons that can auto-cast Flames of Zamorak.

That is kind of the case I'm trying to make. Everyone who has something to complain about, will, nine out of ten times, keep complaining about that one thing until it's fixed. If you examine yourself really hard, you might find that this holds true for you, even outside of the game.

Rarely are these complaints justified, though. A well known complaint is the "spawn-stealer". In my opinion, if you're using a Rune Halberd, or get attacked by aggressive Baby Blue Dragons, what on earth are you doing down there. The same can be said for a variety of monsters in the Slayer Tower, and can range from Aviansies to the ones bringing a Cannon to Dagannoths. Finding an empty Bandos room on a loot-share world on a Saturday evening will often force you to do the same. And dont forget the skilling spawns; Chinchompa hunting, any F2P mining spot, stall and chest thieving, you name it.

But no matter your argument for trying to prevent your spawn from being stolen, it simply comes down to you not being good enough or fast enough to keep it.

A similar focus rests on the complaint of how the game is too "luck based", combined with the arguments on how the Ring of Wealth is helping or not. Personally I do not believe in luck, as you cannot program true randomness without hooking your server up to a Geiger-counter. To prove my point; How many of you have successfully cooked their very first piece of raw shrimp on Tutorial Island? And knowing all the facts, people still can't agree.

Another Golden oldie is of course widespread unhappiness with the economy. It is now very easy for me to draw a parallel between the way the GE restricts (regulates) price fluctuations, and the real world economy. Especially in the United States, there have been very little of such restrictions, and the disaster this has led to is pretty obvious. Just imagine what price manipulators could do to the price of your desired items if they had 10% price range instead of 5%. If you need proof, just look at the graphs of Rune Axes, Rune Gauntlets and Cut Diamonds.

Oh and, no, some items will never go back to their original price again. A good example is Gold Ore, which has dropped below 500gp per piece since people are hammering Adamant Plate-bodies with their Sacred Clay Hammers. If an update happens, your items could have their 'standard' value adjusted.

And finally, subjects of near constant complaints are the updates to the game, and lack thereof. I'll take "The Chosen Commander" as an example, but not to worry, I will not reveal the plotline.

One of the rewards upon completion of the Quest is access to a new Agility Course which was short, easy, and gave a tremendous amount of Agility, Strength and Range XP. People were happy with it, because it was, despite the high fall rate, better than the course on Ape Atoll. Moreover, it had finally put something in Dorgesh-Kaan that would have people return more often to the city (seriously, we have two vast underground cities barely visited). Still people complained, because the requirements for this course were a lot lower than the ones you gained less XP.

Long story short; it got 'nerfed' and unsurprisingly, people complained again. Not only about the loss of a good Agility Course, but also about the fact that "Jagex can't get anything right the first time". Personally I'm glad they get the easily fixable stuff wrong, and the hard stuff like, another 6-6-6 happening again, right.

Fortunately, the four major categories of grievances I described appear to be unfounded. I'm quite sure that if you had to assemble your own top10 of Jagex' to-do list, a few of these would find their way on there. So for now, I will settle with borrowing a quote from Jon Stewart; "I like my complainers like I like my soda Classic, and gassy."[/hide]

[hide=]A Dying Flame - Part 3

N0M_AN0R

Dr. Harlow!

Manny pounded on the door to Dr. Harlows house, the glass orb firmly in the grip of his free hand. Aestas hung back, still troubled by the shock the little ball had given her. Manny didnt seem to be affected in any similar way. Perhaps Dr. Harlow would have an answer.

The door was opened, but not by the doctor. Morgan smiled at them. Hello, Manny. And Aestas! Back from your walk, I see. His grin slipped as he perceived their agitation. Whats wrong?

Manny looked at Aestas. She made no move to speak, so he began uncertainly, Aestas . . . We . . . found a dead man in a boat.

What? Morgan looked half incredulous, half amused. A dead man? Really? Now

Please, can we talk to Dr. Harlow? Manny interrupted. We found this on the mans body, and we think Dr. Harlow may know something about it. He held out the orb for Morgan to see.

Morgan examined it briefly, then declared, Well, I cant make heads nor tails of it. He peered at them closely. Where did you find this dead man? he asked seriously.

A little ways west, in a boat that washed up on shore. We left him there.

Well, then, said Morgan, you can pick the doctors brains over your mysterious object, and Ill go and see this man for myself. He moved aside and waved them inside, shutting the door behind them.

Ah, hello there, said Dr. Harlow. He was sitting at a table, enjoying a mug of ale. I heard my name a few times . . . is there something I can do for you?

Manny looked uncertainly at Aestas again. This time she roused herself enough to take the lead. We found this, she said, indicating the orb in Mannys hand. He obligingly held it out to Dr. Harlow. We think it may be important. When I held it, I felt . . . flashes of things. It was strange. Do you know what it is?

I never felt anything, added Manny as Dr. Harlow took the orb. The doctor turned it about in his hands with an interested expression. He tapped it a few times with the tip of his finger and set it down on the table. He stared at it long and hard; Aestas and Manny took seats for themselves and waited. Finally Dr. Harlow looked up, his interested expression intensified.

It appears to function as a communication orb, he said. The White Knights of Falador and the Slayer Masters use similar objects, imbibed with spells to give them the ability to relay information. What information this orb may relay, and from whom, I dont know.

Do you know how to activate it? Aestas asked. Or what I might have done to activate it?

Not a clue, Dr. Harlow said. Here, take it. Maybe you can figure it out yourself. He handed the orb back, and Aestas reluctantly took it. She turned it over in her hands, examining it as the doctor had done, wondering how she was going to make it work and whether she even wanted it to. The first experience had not been a pleasant one. Dr. Harlow was asking Manny about where they had found the orb; Aestas ignored them. The orb was important, for sure; the man, may he rest in peace, had given his life to deliver it. He had slain a vampire in the process, quite a feat . . . vampires . . . urgent . . . danger . . .

My Lord.

A vast hall was spread out below, magnificent in a dread way; the stone was dark and cold, wrought into fantastic and terrifying shapes, the tapestries depicted scenes of violence and bloodshed, the candles burned blue. In a shadowy corner rose a statue of a strange being, one no longer seen in Gielinor. In front of the statue was a throne, beautiful and grotesque. Upon it sat a being both terrible and beautiful; human in shape, but unimaginably pale and strangely . . . wrong. He stirred upon the entry of another being, less beautiful and less terrible but one of his kin nonetheless. Theus.

The one called Theus dropped to one knee before the throned creature. I bring news, my Lord Drakan.

Drakan rose and descended from his throne. Rise. He ignored the thanks from Theus and strode over to a small table set against one wall, which held a silver pitcher and crystal goblets. News of what sort?

Not good, Im afraid, Theus answered. And with Count Draynor gone, the situation is unfortunately more difficult.

Draynor has been dead for years, Drakan said indifferently. It is high time you moved past it. He poured a goblet for himself and swilled the ruby liquid about. What is this news? Ill not wait upon lamentations for past trifles. He took a drink from his goblet, revealing a flash of fangs.

Theus fidgeted at the reproach, but continued on. My Lord, there is a knight of Varrock who has, to all intents and purposes, gone renegade. Our spies in Misthalin have no inkling of his whereabouts, and neither do his superiors. He has broken all contact with them. When last he was seen, he was searching frantically through old records in the Library of Varrock, some of which he took with him. More recent documents have been reported missing from the castle records. Theus paused for breath. Nearly all of the documents from the Library were related in some way to vampire lore.

Drakan stopped in the act of raising his goblet for another sip. What of the castle records?

Reports from the village of Draynor on the demise of the Count.

Do you think one of our agents has been compromised? Drakan set his goblet on the table and turned to face his vassal directly.

I do not know, my Lord. All of them reported back less than an hour ago, several with the news I have just imparted to you. None of them have been found out, but that does not rule out the possibility of a traitor.

Drakan began to pace, his icy calm beginning to crack. I want that knight found. He can tell us where he got his information; we cannot afford to investigate our own people when there is so much to be done. Draynor is the obvious place to look. Send a pair of Vyrewatch at once.

Yes, my Lord. Before I go, you should know that the Wilderness forays are going well. The base is growing larger all the time and our allies increase. The people of Gielinor know nothing of what is soon to befall them.

All but our knight of Varrock.

The scene in Aestas mind faded. There were still voices around her, but they were different than the ones she had been hearing, and muted by her groggy mind. The orb rolled from her fingers and thumped to the floor.

Aestas! Suddenly everything snapped clear, and Mannys face loomed large in her vision, rocking back and forth as he shook her by the shoulders. Wake up!

Im fine, Im fine! Aestas exclaimed, extricating herself from Mannys grip. He stumbled back, looking rather surprised at Aestas sudden vigor. She rose from her chair, somewhat unsteadily.

I say, you gave us quite a turn there, said Dr. Harlow. Were you seeing something? You must have been. Well, what was it? Come on, now!

Aestas tried to form her thoughts into something coherent. Vampires . . . Drakan . . . It sounded like nonsense even to her. Her attempts at communication were interrupted by a knock on the door.

Confound it! exclaimed Dr. Harlow, but Aestas was already moving to answer it, a sudden feeling of fate overwhelming her. She opened the door. A man was standing there, a very scruffy-looking man with a few days worth of beard and a rather large pack. He looked rather taken aback by Aestas quickness, but recovered himself almost instantly.

Hello, he said. Are you Aestas? Aestas nodded. The man seemed relieved and glad, but only for a moment. His expression quickly became one of urgency. Aestas, my name is Prysin. I need your help.[/hide]

[hide=]It's Raining Money!

Necromagus

On October 31st, 2002, my first Runescape character became, for all intents and purposes, wealthy. It was the day of Hallowe'en, and to celebrate Jagex distributed Halloween masks in three different colours. This was done in the same way previous holiday items were introduced to the game: a system message followed by the items appearing in random places on the world map, available for all to pick up on a first come, first serve basis. I myself was lucky enough to pick up about a dozen masks. Had I hung onto them, my character's net worth would probably be in the nine digit range by now. Unfortunately I ended up selling most of my masks on that very first day, trading them in for two sets of full adamant and two sets of full rune. In the end I only kept a single red mask for myself, which to this day is one of my prized possessions.

That same day a year earlier, Jagex had begun the tradition of holiday drops. To celebrate Halowe'en 2001, Jagex spread pumpkins across the land. The very first holiday item could not be worn, only eaten, for an amazing (at the time) 14 hit points worth of healing. This means that on that October day, millions, if not billions, of GP (in today's market) worth of pumpkins were simply eaten. This is a problem that persists to this day, and anyone trading it today would be foolish not to withdraw it in its noted form to prevent themselves from healing 14 of the most expensive HP they've ever healed.

Due to the success of the pumpkin drop, Christmas 2001 would be celebrated with a drop that was inspired by a primarily British Christmas tradition: The Christmas cracker. These crackers closely followed their real-life counterparts: They could be pulled on with another player, with one obtaining a small paper hat and the other obtaining a trinket. The paper hats especially were a hit, as the festive little 'crowns', which were the first holiday items that players could equip, were quickly spread among the player base.

Of course almost every cracker was popped those first few days for a very simple reason: The trinkets obtainable from it were worth far more than the street price of an unpulled cracker. Even as the price of party hats began to rise, the price of crackers took a very long time to rise along with it. The trend of crackers being worth more than the potential contents didn't come about until recent years, when players began to realize how truly rare crackers had become after years of popping, along with those lost to natural causes such as bans and retirements.

Bolstered by the success of pumpkins and Christmas crackers, Jagex decided to add Easter to its list of celebrated holidays with a dropping of easter eggs. These brightly coloured chocolate treats appeared all over the game world on April 20th, 2002. Like pumpkins before them they were little more than rare food, healing 12 HP for whoever ate them. Although I had already created my first account by then, the whole concept of holiday items was lost on me and I wasn't even online that day. I did get one as a gift from a friend later, but unfortunately I gave it to another friend a few weeks later, leaving me empty-handed.

Of course by the time Christmas 2002 rolled around, I was much better prepared. In the previous months I had seen the prices of the masks I had traded away skyrocket, and I had learned what holiday events actually entailed: It was a day where money rained from the sky. While I had started playing well before Easter 2002, I hadn't been online the day easter eggs were dropped and only heard about them later. Finding the Hallowe'en masks was just a coincidence, as the holiday is barely celebrated where I live and I was thus barely aware of it. For Christmas however, I was ready.

It started with selecting the right spot to await the drops. Unfortunately I was not a member at the time, so I visited several potentially empty areas before I found the perfect spot to await the drops: the area between Port Sarim and Rimmington. Of course I wasn't the only one choosing this tactic, and the spirit of the season had apparently taken the day off. Again and again I was verbally berated by other players who didn't want to share their spot. I wasn't scared off however, eventually making off with over two dozen santa hats before my mom turned off the computer for the day (to this day, this is a common problem for a large percentage of Runescape's players). I held onto them tightly for a while, although most were eventually given away or traded. Today I have eight left, which due to the new trade system will probably be stuck on my account forever.

I wasn't the only one realizing the skyrocketing value of holiday items. Jagex had taken notice too, and they weren't pleased. This wasn't entirely unexpected, as these items would only become more and more rare as time went by. This had happened before with other items that were tradeable and no longer obtainable, such as the Disc of Returning and the Half Jug of Wine. However, holiday items were intended to celebrate, not to give players easy access to huge sums of money. To prevent future releases from unhinging the economy even further, Jagex took two very simple measures: players could only pick up one item, and the items could no longer be traded.

When this new policy was first applied to the bunny ear drop of Easter 2003. Players expecting to once again rake in the gold were surprised with a warning message that they only needed one. The response was, as expected, disappointing. While some players appreciated the fact that holiday items were intended for celebration and not profit, a very vocal group of players voiced their disdain extensively. Jagex however was adamant: money would never rain from the sky again. When the scythes were released for Halowe'en 2003, complaints were once again rampant. It would be the last holiday event of Runescape classic. It would take almost 14 months before Jagex once again released a Holiday event, and instead of items simply falling from the sky players would now have to retrieve their new yo-yo at a fixed position. As time went by both events and rewards would become more complex, but money would never again rain from the skies.[/hide]

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

"Especially in the United States, there have been very little of such restrictions, and the disaster this has led to is pretty obvious."

I suggest you research the current situation a bit more before making claims like the above quote.

We are not, by any means, in our current situation because of "no restrictions on trades." Also, even to suggest that there are no restrictions on trades is ridiculous. Sherman Act, anyone? We are in this current situation because of greed....greed from both lenders and borrowers. People borrowing loans they couldn't possibly repay, and the banks allowing them. Banks then putting the funds into (extremely) risky investments, etc.

I am not going to go deep into our current situation, as this is not the place for it. However, I urge you to not make claims based on water-cooler ideas.

Uh, isn't that exactly what he's saying? banks/lenders doing things they shouldn't? lol