Tip.It Times: 5 April 2009

n_odie

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

We have a few quest articles as well that will be released over the next 2 months so look forward to those!

~odie

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did not know the ''did you know'' ::'

might be usefull when im playing on a very slow pc :)

Have to be honest, it stumped me when I received it! :mrgreen: Good one Master_Smither!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous

good read i definatley play for fun but im a quester so i know what it is to grind out a lvl for some reason or another and i feel no shame in admiting the ONLY reason i got 75 firemaking was for the seer's village achievment diary :lol:

I didn't know the "Did you know?" either! Handy for when you are on slower computers.

I usually grind because I am going for a goal and I go for a goal because I find that to be fun. The feeling of slowly making your way to the end is what makes grinding fun when getting your levels up.

As for the name article, sometimes I wish I didn't have numbers after my username but then I realized that given the option I don't think I would change my name because ti has become a part of my character now that I wouldn't want to give up.

Oh and without realizing it I actually met Kurito a few days ago when kicking a cabbage too Ooglog. I never knew I was meeting a fellow tipiter. ::'

O I loved the first 2 articles but didn't read the 3rd one it's not my thing.

I was suprised my "did you know" was put in right away I figured it'd be over a month before you even put it in :)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I was suprised my "did you know" was put in right away I figured it'd be over a month before you even put it in :)

We can ALWAYS use a good did you know. ;)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous

I enjoyed both of the first articles and i no longer read the fiction articles.
The fictional articles started with a new storyline this week, so maybe you could give it a try?

I can't beleive I read 'the nature of names' from the beginning all the way to the end. I lost precious seconds of my life, for nothing.

The rest were awesome :D, I certainly don't regret reading these.

i personally don't like my name. i made it when i was 12 and i didn't even know what rs was about. i do like my bro's char's name "javy ha" (pronounced: ha-vee-ha, not jah-vee-ha)

and to tell the truth i had the oportunity to change it, i would. i would have to change it to something meaningful or something from mithology of something.

i have to say my favorite name i have seen is "daynona turn3" or something along those lines.

Y_Z.png

personality i really liked the 2 first articles but as *some* were saying not interesed anymore with fictional one.

I try to enjoy the most of my time in rs and get high skills, not cause of compatition, but "to be able to do all" from equipments, areas, making things and such.

about name...when i created that acc i didn't knew wat rs is, but by mistake i created awsome name wich i get from people "lol nice name" once a day ::'

want a box.

FTW =D>

want_a_box.png

The Journey or the Destination: I've always heard this, and I believe it is true. If Runescape was a single-player, offline game it would be one of the most boring games ever created.

The Nature of Names: It was ok. It was nice to see the opinion of another player, but I have a main character with a name/number combination, and I have played through the game much further than "Kurito". Although I would admit I'm not crazy about my character's name, I don't feel an impersonal detachment from him. I instead choose to look at my character as an alternate me, or like you put it, an extension of myself. But thank you for writing the article, and sharing your thoughts.

We can ALWAYS use a good did you know. ;)

Yea, they're always short of them.

OT: About the name article: That's the way I've never ever thought of my character. Some time ago, I may have been carried away by this game too much, but I've never seen my character as an individual with an independent personality and all that. It's quite surprising to me some people see it that way. My character = me. Period.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

i loved the first article. short and simple, and sums up pretty much why i do mining. for the love of the skill, to be the best i can be, and to socialize with friends about random crap :P

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Good featuring article! :thumbsup: For me, I don't fit into the reasons except for 1. Which is the community. I level, because of Minigames like castle wars. Everything I do is based on putting up a good fight in castle wars and doing quests

for fun of course

I agree with the guest article. Even though I have numbers in my name (lem2222) I still feel attached to my character and the world of runescape. I may be called a no lifer, because I do study runescape "history". Of course when Mechscape comes out I'll be sure to get a name without numbers out... ::'

Arghhhh! I love the fictional articles! I cant wait for the next part. I must praise the vivid details though! It grossed me out, and now I feel like taking a bath because of it. :lol:

well done on all the articles =D>

i try to look at my hours of training as something that is nesicary (sp) for me to make the game funner for my character, such as wielding a certain item or having a certain amout of money to spend, or being able to kill more people in a minigame.

couldnt agree more with the name article, i've regretted my name ever since it was created #-o

GESig.gif

Couple of comments to make here. Those who know my usual comments may not be surprised by some of them...!

1) The Journey or the Destination?

I liked this. It was not an exhaustive list by any means, but I always approve of someone who draws out the fact that a large part of the fun of Runescape should always be the community. I have made a good many friends within the game, and whilst the majority are not people I would choose to replace friends in the pub or take out to dinner, I appreciate who they are and the fact that I have "met" them purely because of runescape. I would just add that I'm not one of those who adds all my RS friends on Facebook/MSN etc, but I still enjoy their virtual company!

This brings me rather nicely on to number 2) The nature of names.

Now, forgive me if I am too blunt here, but this struck me as a blinkered view of the nature of names and blurred it with other somewhat irrelevant factors. I put it to you that, whilst your friends would not know you under the same name, the name itself has no impact at all on the outcome of this game or the character.

Has it affected my runescape career that I chose the name of a musician whose music I was listening to at the time for my RS account, even though I have moved on to different tastes since? Would I be richer in the game if I had chosen the name Bill Gates? Or a better quester if I'd chosen Marco Polo? Or a better cook by choosing Heston Blumenthal? Or should I have attempted to research the names of the Chinese developers of the blast furnace from the 5th Century BC just to help me along the interminably dull road of mining and smithing? No, they would not have changed who I am and the way I like to play the game.

Sure, I might have preferred a slightly more original name rather than poaching somebody else's, but just as Michael Jackson sang: "It doesn't matter if you're black or white", the outward "physical" features of the character do not define the player who makes it complete. I have not spent hours chatting to friends because I think their name is cool, their hair looks nice, or because I appreciate the exposed midriff of female characters in RS ( :P ), but because of the simple fact that the people who made the characters what they are, are those people.

It would be a shame to lose sight of the wonderful features of the PERSON you're interacting with, so perhaps readers should also consider: If you think something's cool, it is. If you disagree with me and in fact, you agree that numbered accounts are pointless, that's great too. But don't be fooled into thinking that just because someone likes the name they chose for their character and decided to write a lengthy spiel about that fact, that you must follow suit. Do what you like and be happy with it! The people you meet in game will appreciate you for who YOU are, not your character.

3) Rat Kings

I disliked this intensely. Forgive me, Necromagus (for I assume it's you and not some phantasm "Necomagus" as the posted name suggests), if I have this wrong, but your style was a little too forced.

I like the concept of your stories, I can see where they're likely to lead to and I'm sure they will all entertain in their own way as usual. However, there are a few things that really bugged me throughout:

Quote:

The thick smoke left a thick coating of soot on the damp stones that made up the arches of the sewers under the city.

So, thick smoke leaves thick soot? Wow... I mean, that's really quite shocking... Could you not have been more imaginative, even to just describing a shade of soot...? You could even have said something like "the thick smoke left a dark grey smear of soot on the..." etc. You shouldn't repeat descriptions in consecutive sentences if it can be avoided, within 4 words is diabolical.

Secondly, relating to the quote above, you may have noticed I underlined a few segments. Why did you describe it so meticulously vaguely? By this I mean that you seemingly went to some length to describe essentially unimportant features in an equally boring fashion, adding little. The descriptions you gave were not especially illuminating, other than the damp stones. But ALL of it seems gratuitous. Thick smoke is barely describing it at all. Thick soot is unimaginative. Damp stones is passable, but even then could have been better described with myriad other words. And I'm sorry to be cynical, but where else would sewers be, if not under a city?! :P

Also, perhaps consider the timescale. One flickering lamp, no matter how thick the smoke from it, would not instantly leave a thick layer of soot. Better, surely, to describe this as something along the lines of: "The clinging, black smoke of many torches had left a deep layer of soot..." etc. Simply guidelines, but it would have made it more interesting to play around with things like that a little more. Clearly the rat pits are not a new thing, given they're apparently under new ownership, so make it sound like the clandestine organisation it really is, with the history it deserves.

Finally, a personal irritation. Whenever someone feels it necessary to write about "foecal matter" I can't help but think the author is a child with delusional thoughts on "humour". The humour behind a man smelling of faeces and the like does not really do it for me, and anyone seeking out real humour would do well to observe the art as demonstrated by greats like The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise, and Tommy Cooper. They were never uncouth yet implicitly obscene, but essentially without an adult mind the adult jokes were shrouded superbly to appeal to all. Now, Necromagus, I do not wish to suggest that you are puerile, or indeed a kid writing on a generally intelligent forum, so don't take this as a personal attack. But please beware of writing "witty" prose using immature imagery.

I hope some of that at least was helpful.

Keep the times coming, it always brightens up a Sunday! =D>

I really like the article about names and am in complete agreement. Randox is a part of me, but also separate. I like to think of Randox as my e-persona, the person I become when I am on the internet. I belive that Randox is what I aspire to be, what I can be when anomity removes the social constraints that make me...someone else in real life. I am a beliver that who you are on the internet, as long as it is with people you dont know in real life, is who you really are. We are not the people that others see. We can only see who we really are by observing ourselves when we think no one is watching. Do you keep doing your homework when your parents leave the house, or do you sneak in some possibly forbiden TV time. The internet is much teh same way.