Tip.It Times Presents: Letters to the Editor 22 July 2007

MPM

Once again, we have a couple of letters written to the Editor for your reading today. Check them out here and then feel free to discuss it with the rest of the community.

~M

Most interesting part of the whole article:

Did You Know...

... that chain armour has better crush defence than plate armour?

Anyone know what monsters use crush attack? :o

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

Did You Know...

Any monster that attacks with fists, feet, etc.

OT:I, too, miss the old Times. They were soooo wonderful :)

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Did You Know...

Moss giants, and hill giants I believe, anything that wields a mace I suppose ( such as jail guards) and players.

I find it stupid to say "it's just pixels" -- why would you be playing anyhow if it's just pixels. No, there's attachment, even to worthless items. For exemple when I was hacked out of 1.8 million, I only thought about the fact that the hacker had dropped my Mime boots :lol:

It is true that Runescape teaches you a lot. It has tought me what mucked up means, thanks Wenlok for clearing that up. But really, it does teach you things. I try to be as good as possible on Runescape, especially since I frequent these forums. I care more for other people.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

i'm sorry, but the grammar in the second letter was so atrocious i pretty much lost the point the writer was trying to convey even before i was half way through it.

as for the first article, its kind of nice to see the change in the nature of tip.it times, what with invoking self reflection and all, but, this isn't a therapy session. it really takes a more one-on-one basis in order to change the people who act like jerks in-game, and a broadly scoped letter won't help much.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

To all of you commenting that you don't like the Letters to the Editor, did you take the time to vote in the poll asking if you wanted Letters to the Editor or not? The Tip.It Times had to be changed, for a variety of reasons, to a monthly format. So we decided to ask the community if they wanted us to publish Letters to the Editor on those weeks no Times was being published. The majority of Times readers that voted wanted us to publish Letters. So there you have it.

News Announcement about the Times & Letters:

http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?news&id=1888

Poll:

http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?poll_id=55

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

Come on guys, give the article contributors a chance! The first author was talking about decency and morality. Putting yourself in your "victim's" shoes helps you realize how you would feel when being scammed. Now, about the second author's article; I'm not sure which side of the arguement he/she was trying to advocate because it wasn't coherent.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

:shock:

The first reply to the editor was...Readable. I agreed with the points but I figured most of them went without saying...

As for number two, even if there was a tangeable point to the argument as you say, I couldn't find it. I do agree that many players give the pixel statement to make themselves feel better in some respect, but I could never agree that it was true.

Basically what you're saying is "oh, you lost your hard work and time - that doesn't matter because you can just put in more hard work and more time to be back where you were before you lost your "pixels."

How about this then: you work hard for a month to save up for...We'll say...An XBox 360. Now I come along with a cutting torch and reduce it to smoldering plastic which I then toss into a river. You shouldn't worry, though - it's only made up of atoms which are at their most basic microscopically tiny loops of energy. Just like everything else. You only have to work another month to get it back. But those atoms are easy to get back, right?

What's the difference? One world is tiny pieces formed together on a software background. The other wold is tiny pieces formed together within a space-time background. The effort is required in both.

I don't believe in sympathy-hunting, but I find the pixel claim ignorant and apathetic.

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

Also, if you don't like the letters that the editor is getting, why not write him one yourself? There is a link in every times article so you can.

~M

:shock:

The first reply to the editor was...Readable. I agreed with the points but I figured most of them went without saying...

As for number two, even if there was a tangeable point to the argument as you say, I couldn't find it. I do agree that many players give the pixel statement to make themselves feel better in some respect, but I could never agree that it was true.

Basically what you're saying is "oh, you lost your hard work and time - that doesn't matter because you can just put in more hard work and more time to be back where you were before you lost your "pixels."

How about this then: you work hard for a month to save up for...We'll say...An XBox 360. Now I come along with a cutting torch and reduce it to smoldering plastic which I then toss into a river. You shouldn't worry, though - it's only made up of atoms which are at their most basic microscopically tiny loops of energy. Just like everything else. You only have to work another month to get it back. But those atoms are easy to get back, right?

What's the difference? One world is tiny pieces formed together on a software background. The other wold is tiny pieces formed together within a space-time background. The effort is required in both.

I don't believe in sympathy-hunting, but I find the pixel claim ignorant and apathetic.

true, but these "pixels" are much easier to earn than real money, and they have no worth in the real world. so basically it's like complaining that you lost your favorite marble deserves as much sympathy as losing your 64 inch widescreen LCD TV.

now if you lose your account, that's a different story. you put several years into an account and you in no way risked it, while staking or pking you risk losing something. plus, a 1500 total level account takes 1-2 years to make, while if you have those stats you can regain about several million gp in a week or two.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

Well like I said I don't see any point in looking for sympathy, but theres also nothing wrong with being empathic.

It's so easy to say "they're just pixels." Say it when your santa gets hacked. No one wants to hear complaining, but to me if someone makes the statement it says they have no respect for another persons effort or time.

It may not be the same kind of work, it is a game after all, but the fact remains that work was put into the summation of the "pixels." You can't ignore that fact.

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

In response to Rikochet's article, empathy is something you learn naturally at the age Rikochet probably is, I remembered when I learned it, and it had nothing to do with runescape. Runescape might have helped him learn it, but he probably would have learned it anyway. I'm not entireley sure I'm glad I learned it, it has changed my life, but maybe not for the best. As a result of being more empathetic I'm a lot more introverted than I used to be because I'm afraid of how other people might see me. I used to just do whatever I felt like doing at the moment, like most kids do, and that was pretty fun. I don't do that any more, and people just ignore me now. I am now more successful and less destructive than I used to be, which is probably a good thing, and theres not very many people who hate me now, but I also don't have many good friends for the same reasons. I never take any risks or do anything crazy, so my life is kind of boring, which is why I play runescape a lot. I guess what I'm saying is I've matured, and with maturity comes some benefits, but you also loose what you had as a kid, a willingness to do whatever you think might be fun, no matter what the consequences are.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]