Tip.It Times Presents: Letters to the Editor #6

MPM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the thing of Miniclip. It may not be directly responsible for immaturity but it sure didn't help it. Being young and not world-wise certainly doesn't make you a "giv me fre stuf" noob, but it is more likely to have a 10 year old beg and type stupidly than a 16 year old who's taken a few computer classes

z0m6 f1r57 9057.

Still alive, still alive.

Finally someone shut these guys up! I made my account when I was about 10 and just turned 13 recently. I wasent a phr33 st0f plox noob or anything I learned how to mine and later wc to make money. Ive also wondered if these guys arent noobs themeselves that never did well in this game. So was a good read and finally something worth supporting.

Lol kinda funny how I thought the other letters werent too bad. Suppose they actually used facts for once.

Edit: w00t 2nd post

Get me a whopper!

That was actually a very nice read. However, for the tip at the end, (the clue) I prefer to just take watch, sextant,chart, clue, and spade. At my level (lvl 99, 63 prayer) I can kill the zammy wizard with prayer and punching/kicking it. If it's in low level wildy, I'll home tele. If it's in high level, I'd drop the spade, pray protect item, and suicide on something high-leveled.

Also, don't open the chest until after you get out of the wilderness.

nh.jpg

Prankster king got owned, three times.

No, I don't believe he did. He had a valid point about the maturity of Runescape's updates decreasing. I have been playing Runescape since I was seven years old!. And heck, I have NEVER been scammed or hacked. Ever. And nor did I beg. So I can safely, without any thought of being an ignorant/arrogant moron, that all those players who do die in the wilderness/other areas die of their own fault. They should know what they are getting into before actually doing it. Even when I was seven, I used to research about quests/whatever before doing it. If kids get all the cons of something handed to them on a platter, then I believe it's not good for them. Runescape's updates ARE being more focussed on the younger kids, which makes it more boring for those of us who are more mature than those kids. I KNOW I will be flamed for this by someone, but the thing is, I have played Runescape before the age of 8 (which, for some reason, seems the stereotypical age for young player in Runescape), and so I KNOW that if they just read before the do things, they are fine. And I was 13 recently (which is the stereotypical age for immature in Runescape), I know that 13 year olds can solve things on their own and only pester others because they get their way. It's the same way in classes. If the class is harder, or the teacher doesn't make it too easy for them, the kids my age don't act so immaturely. Now, they are getting too many signs and such things warning them about danger in the wilderness! Personally, I thought that the one sign before entering the wilderness was fine.

In the recent past, Jagex hasn't release too many really tough quests, such as Desert Treasure, Mourning Ends II, and Recipe for Disaster, to name a few, which does make Runescape a tad bit more boring.

Anyways, about Miniclip: I think that Miniclip is one of the reason for Runescape's increasing immaturity. However, we mustn't forget that Miniclip is a MAJOR reason why Runescape is so large. So I don't defend nor attack Miniclip in this matter.

Thanks,

OT

mercedesmanipulationn1cj8.png

~Joined RS December 2001

~Retired Mid-2007

I think that the ratio of imature to mature players has always been the same, all miniclip did was bring more in, and now it seems like more imature players. But still, not every person that is 13 or less is imature. My cousin (8) most of the time acts more mature on runescape than most players.

Overall, I thought these were a good read.

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

Level IS NOT a sign of maturity or age

I agree that a low level does not mean a young player (everyone starts as a level 3), but, how many level 100+ players act immature? Probably not as many as lower leveled players who do.

Firstly, it takes time to get a combat level of more than 100, even with pc, so young players can grow up before they become level 100.

Secondly, if you act immature you run a higher risk of being banned before you reach level 100, thus leaving the mature people (who can be of any age by the way, I do not mind a relatively mature pre-teen).

Thirdly, everyone who is now level 100 is older than he or she was when he/she started as level 3, and probably more mature than when they started playing (unless you're truly ancient)

Clearly, a players level is not an indicator of his maturity/age, but I think we can reasonably say that on average, higher leveled players tend to be older and more mature than younger leveled players.

Oh and of course this only goes for main accounts, not pures and the like.

edit: I'm currently level 110, and 17 years old. Some may say that 17 is young, but I'm starting at University this year so I should have been 18 8-)

harold_king.png

Playing RS since Nov. 2002 (but with various breaks)

Prankster king got owned, three times.

No, I don't believe he did. He had a valid point about the maturity of Runescape's updates decreasing. I have been playing Runescape since I was seven years old!. And heck, I have NEVER been scammed or hacked. Ever. And nor did I beg. So I can safely, without any thought of being an ignorant/arrogant moron, that all those players who do die in the wilderness/other areas die of their own fault. They should know what they are getting into before actually doing it. Even when I was seven, I used to research about quests/whatever before doing it. If kids get all the cons of something handed to them on a platter, then I believe it's not good for them. Runescape's updates ARE being more focussed on the younger kids, which makes it more boring for those of us who are more mature than those kids. I KNOW I will be flamed for this by someone, but the thing is, I have played Runescape before the age of 8 (which, for some reason, seems the stereotypical age for young player in Runescape), and so I KNOW that if they just read before the do things, they are fine. And I was 13 recently (which is the stereotypical age for immature in Runescape), I know that 13 year olds can solve things on their own and only pester others because they get their way. It's the same way in classes. If the class is harder, or the teacher doesn't make it too easy for them, the kids my age don't act so immaturely. Now, they are getting too many signs and such things warning them about danger in the wilderness! Personally, I thought that the one sign before entering the wilderness was fine.

In the recent past, Jagex hasn't release too many really tough quests, such as Desert Treasure, Mourning Ends II, and Recipe for Disaster, to name a few, which does make Runescape a tad bit more boring.

Anyways, about Miniclip: I think that Miniclip is one of the reason for Runescape's increasing immaturity. However, we mustn't forget that Miniclip is a MAJOR reason why Runescape is so large. So I don't defend nor attack Miniclip in this matter.

Thanks,

OT

The only truth in prankster_king's article was that there are some young people in the game, and that there also are some immature people in the game. But everything else he says is cabbage. These 2 letters, and the one from last week (erhm, mine :oops:) proove that nicely.

I'lld still LOVE to see him reply really.

Both letters were nice reads indeed!

As for the editor, letters & guest articles are fun for a while, but not for months in a row :(. I hope he/she returns sooner rather then later, or that they at least find a new one :D

I know what I know and what I know might well not be what you want to know but then seeing as only I know what I know and you do not know what I know then you will not know if what I know is what you would like to know

I don't think many 8 year olds can figure out the Monkey Madness sliding puzzle or the Mournings end part 2 giant maze

Age is not a factor in mental ability for puzzles, including those types. They are I.Q. based puzzles, which is more what you are born with, and hard to properly improve.

Runescape Stats:

Dragonmaker9.png

Every stat on highscores!

My website.

I'm not going to get into the age of players/decline of rs argument but i'll like to make something clearer:

Yes, it is true that probably a lot of younger players (but not necessarily all) probably lied about their age when the Create Account section asks for age. However, plenty of players have made accounts before that rule was placed. They now have strong accounts with high skills. My brother is under 13, he played since Jan 2005.

I've seen so many people say thigns like this, i'm not shore when the rule about having to be 13+ to play rs came in. When i started my account, in mid 2003 (got a scyth in the bank, just missed out in bunny ears) i had to check the "i am over 13" box.

The reason, that Jagex states why they will not allow players under 13 is for such things as sliding puzzles and harder quests like they stated. Just thought I would let everyone who didn't know, know.

But my little cousin who plays RS and is 11 years old does beg alot and is quite annoying. And he even shares an account, so he did not obviously read the rules. So there is an example of a <13 player not understanding things in Runescape. But heh not everyone is like that.

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

We don't need anymore gore, we can Halo for that :shock:

Dogatehw.png

Life is like riding a bicycle, you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t fall off unless you stop pedaling.

I don't think many 8 year olds can figure out the Monkey Madness sliding puzzle or the Mournings end part 2 giant maze

Age is not a factor in mental ability for puzzles, including those types. They are I.Q. based puzzles, which is more what you are born with, and hard to properly improve.

Well either I'm stupid or the younger kids are uber good at puzzles (I think its a little of both :oops: ) but I haven't seen many young players do such large puzzles. I know, there are plenty of little genii (is that the plural of genius?) who own at puzzles (I'm not exactly one of them...) but what I was saying in the article was that, the updates aren't exactly all for young people. I know many friends over 13 who skipped the Monkey puzzle or quit MEP2 all together. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe little kids pwn me in puzzles, but I don't think a majority of them can and I'm pretty sure even older peole struggle with the puzzle.

EDIT: I really hope Prankster King sends in a response article to all the debate over age (its a 3 on 1 right now :oops: ). It'll be quite an interesting cycle of tipit letters discussing the age debate and would certainly attract more Tipit times readers and responders.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Especially when you think the good guy you're working for turns out to be the evil one! *cough*Lathus*cough*

Way to spoil the surprise Jackass

Drat. I knew that'd be brought up sooner or later. After sendin the article, I realized "did I just spoil a really fun quest?" I just had to hope it wouldn't become a huge detail. People wouldn't ignore the entire letter jsut to yell at me over a little error on my part, right? Guess not :^o

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I was 12 when I joined, now I am 14, there was no age rule then. I really haven't noticed any changes in RuneScape. I do however have some advice for Prankster: If you don't like RuneScape, find a different game.

Ummm... yes... yes there was an age rule. There always has been. You just didn't pay attention to it when reading any rules and/or the Terms & Conditions (though you probably didn't if you didn't see the 13 year old to play thing).

Cowards can't block Warriors.

On one hand, we have the older players who feel that any new or inexperienced player is an idiot for not knowing exactally how to play a game they have just joined. And on the other hand we have the new players who have no idea what they are doing.

Was the first thing you did after joining runescape read the manual? Probably not. I hate seeing "Mature" members reply with "Lol, Noob" to every question posed my a new player. You didn't know how to get that item, or how to beat that hard quest at one time, so don't act like a jerk to someone who didn't know.

On updates: Just because Jagex didn't tailor make the update to meet your specific needs, doesn't mena you have the right to say they ignore you. As said in the letter, if you don't like the update, ignore it. I wasn't too partial towards clan chat, but someone will find it useful.

On Scammers/bots/immaturity: People who whine about the good old days have a point, there were less scammers, bots, and immautre players. Although, the reason for that is because the player base was smaller, and therefore, a smaller percentage of those people existed. They have always been there and always will. Saying no one under thirteen won't stop anything. Even if they were somehow able to filter out anyone 13 and under, immaturity will still exist. Greed, Egotism, and immaturity do not stop at age thirteen.

We can't become jerks to new players. We can't whine about the "good old days". We have to work to make runescape a better place for everybody. Unfortunalty, most people would rather just [bleep] about it.

sigay1.png

Very interesting reads, I'll say that much. I'm going to take a moment to reply to a few accusations made about me.

To Foodfight13: You mentioned that you think I am a player killer. Would you mind going into a bit more detail on that? Do I pk? Of course. I must say that pking is the main attraction for us F2P'ers. But do I want people to die by walking into dangerous areas? No. But neither do I want a million of those warning messages stuffed in my face all the time. It's not just a personal issue with it... It's about the excitement of the game that they're taking away with so many warnings. Life is a dangerous thing. True, there are warning labels on your nearby can of bugspray, but do you see any danger signs above alleyways, saying "WARNING!: You may be mugged. Enter at your own risk"? What a funny sight that would be. True, players should be warned of certain dangers.. But not in a way that's so direct and upfront. Hints.. That's what they need. Hints to the upcoming danger. Like a darkened room... Skeletons on the ground... Little details that a traveler would notice. The suspence would build, while also telling this person "Something dangerous may be around the corner". They don't need a ton of popups to cover up their screen, saying " DANGER DANGER" in big bold letters.

How recently did I retire, you asked? Maybe a month ago, maybe two. I'd just like to take note, though, that I do play the game at a mild rate currently. I have certain in-game issues that I'm tieing up in that time. So I think it's pretty safe to say I'm up to date on how Runescape is working right now...

In reply to the comments on Miniclip not bringing down the maturity level:

Yes, I daresay it has. People will say that people in Runescape were already immature, and that Miniclip didn't affect it. True, there was already some immaturity in Runescape. I won't deny that, and I'm not going to say Runescape used to be completely mature. But when Miniclip started advertising the game, all of the kids that played games like Club Penguin came in. With them came the average maturity you get with preteens. I'm not accusing them for it... I'm stating a fact that's generally accurate. It's because they're younger that they aren't quite as mature as older teens and adults. They can't help it, it's how they are, and it's how they grow up. The blame goes to Jagex for allowing the advertisement of the game in Miniclip. Yes, they are a company. Yes, they want more money. Duh. I already know that, thank you very much. I'm glad it's been clarified a dozen times. But the thing is is that Jagex is money hungry, and downgraded the maturity level of Runescape because of their greed. It is Jagex's undoing that Runescape is falling to the younger age group. It is because of them that the Runescape worlds are filled with younger players who just haven't aged enough to learn to play fair, or refrain from insulting one another when they don't get their way. Not all of them are like that, I know. I've met quite a few nicer ones who actually sound much like an older teen. But they are not the majority... The world is about majorty rules. If the majority of Runescape has younger kids, the game is going to updated to fit the need for the young. Simple as that.

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

userbarunorbv1.png

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

{Author of Tip.It Times article}{Founder of the F2P Bankspace Campaign}{Interviewed for the Gielinor Tribune}{F2P Bankspace was ACHIEVED!}