Tip.It Times Presents: Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

Kiara_Kat

Nice article, I love how you guys implemented the "Did you know..." feature in the articles. I always love reading those. Thanks for that so much. :P

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just letting you know, not everyone who reads tip.it times is a goodwilling player. This article possibly let hundreds of scammers know of a fairly easy scamming method :?

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

Another nice article. I always enjoy reading the Times.

However, as a graduate of the Ben Hunter College of Obscure and Useless Knowledge ... I feel compelled to point out that Will Robinson had no brothers. But, rather 2 sisters. The only males lost in space, besides Will, were his dad, Dr. Smith, and Major (something). Who was sweet on one of Will's sisters. LOL

Keep up the great work.

thx for the info on the German world scam, thats a pretty imaginative scam. i'll watch out and try to remeber the german number worlds to help me know when to be suspicious. I think Jagex will change the visuals of afew of these items more disctinctly (pure ess cahnged gold plz) to help with this scam. THey will feel the public pressure to do so.

ONe thning you didn't mention yourself, being an English speaker is the Germans being brought to English worlds and having the opposite scam pulled on them. Sometimes you gotta think of the slightly bigger picture.

And yes to whoever sed you have let afew scammers know about thins scam but far more people will be able to avoid the scam now aswell.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

does anyone know about that other scam?

scammer 1 pms you:hey do you have a d long (it can be anything im just saying d long since it is the most common) i can buy? i'll buy it for 300k im really desperate

scammer 2 pms you not a minute later:hey wannna buy d long for 200k?

of course most ppl who cant see what's wrong with this would jump at the chance to make 100k but for ppl who aren't sure the first scammer just tells you that you better hury up or he'll buy for someone else and of course the second scammer tells you that you better hurry up because he has to go soon or something like that and of course once you do buy the d long for 200k (that's way overpriced for anyone who doesn't know that) from the second scammer they either both log out or they just take you off their list and set it to friends

yes that little hustle is fairly well known.

Its not hard really, something even the great editor failed to mention. The best way to avoid all of this nonsense- the antiscam trading trick.

Mainly used for herblore unids, it can be adapted to all items. Say you are buying mage logs-take 1 noted mage log and fill the rest of your invo with unrelated junk. If the trade goes through, then you get what you expected from the trade. If it does not, then the other person was trying to scam you but made a fool of themselves in the process. simple as that, yet never used.

A nice way around thnis problem. It seems a little inconventient but if seriously in doubt it would be worth it. I just dont think people can be bothered doing that but if im on german servers and have doubt ill give it a go.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

While it's good to be warned about this kind of scam, I must say I am concerned about the thing few people already mentioned here. This article gives an idea for scammers! Personally I'm afraid it can do more harm than good. This is why scams can't be posted on official RuneScape forums too. It's better not to help scammers learn new methods.

This was a great article, I'll know that not to trade on german servers from now on. Also, JaGeX does help it's players during scams, like the second trade window, and also, recently, they made the leaf bladed spear, a common scam item, untradeble. Some people complain that they should get their items back, but if they gave them back runescape would collapse, with people beging here and there for items they say they got "scammed" out of. I think they should do this: When you play runescape you select your langauge. When you are playiing, every word on the screen will appear in that langauge ( even if someone chatted in english, it would appear german if you chose the german langauge ). Jagex could set a translator, so people from other countries would be able to chat even in different languages. This would clear up scamming and whatnot. Now I don't know how hard it would be, I don't know the first thing about java scripting. Also, gradually, as new "words" come out in langauges that ( like if someone wrote "guten tag" as "gut3n t2g" on an eglish server, and it overcame the translator ), it would be updated to include that, like how they update the censor.

dragonmzombie,mr.%20nub%20nub.gif

Going for 2.4 bil cabbage, plz donate

currently at 120 cabbage =/

When's the Andrew interview coming out?

Who told you we were doing an interview with Andrew Gower? While I agree it WOULD be nice, there's a lot more involved in getting an interview that everyone thinks. We are working on getting him to agree to one, though.

But please do NOT jump to conclusions and assume there'll be one anytime soon.

Also, on the issue of teaching people how to scam...we thought about this before publishing the article, and we determined that we would be doing more good than harm by publishing it. Believe me, this scam is nothing new to a real scammer. They're not learning anything new from our article. And even if a few bad seeds learn a few more tricks? This is far outweighed by the number of people that will now be aware of the danger and won't fall for it.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

i use youlove's method have 27 not stackable items and the item your buying/selling in noted form so if they offer a different item you will be warned dosen't work with amout switching or anything else of that matter

still a good articel

Account created on Weds, December 21st, 2005

99 cooking on December 12th, 2010. 99 Agility on September 30th, 2011. 99 Fletching on August 17th, 2012. 99 Prayer on March 22nd, 2016. 99 Farming on April 4th, 2016.

Its pretty annoying, but you gotta give the scammers some credit for creativity. I certainly wouldnt have thought of doing that. Scammers seem to take advantage of every single update somehow. Of course, i guess most of them are just copycats. Good thing i never get scammed.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

i dunno about what u say. jsut this morning, i was scammed. when i went to buy a full set of Verac's armor, i was so excited, the price (4.6m) probably should have given it away, that i didnt even bother to check the second window. instead of a veracs helm, he had given me a second skirt, which i didnt realise until a few minutes later. :wall: :evil:

Good article

Attention to all GOOD TIP HERE:

When buying an obby cape watch out for ppl switching it onto a black cape the look almost identicall i almost got scammed.

Just like jagex says check the secound sreen.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

Perhaps a new Tip It guide is needed, translations of common/similar items so people can differentiate between say, willow logs and magic logs.

Its all very well not trading with them but you are just leaving the trap set for the next person, instead if we knew the translations and could see the scammers they would be reported far sooner and hopefully banned.

Good article. Whenever i see a scammer, I always play a long, wasting as much of his/her time as possible (oddly enough, it always seem to be guys :? ).

But a little note on the "did you know": Port phasmatis has a furnace, which is very close as well. Is Neitiznot really closer?

40 hours of Runescape a day, has helped us get docter Ford away!

Wait only certified players can go into the German servers right? It's not open to the public yet, is it? Just wanted to make sure.
Now, it's open to all. Hidden update I think.

I wonder who comes up with these ideas? I mean, does he/she have to be such a jerk? Why can't just be normal? :evil:

dragonmbnaval,sorryimlate2.gif

untitledxu0.png Go Leafs Go!!\:D/

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all people are created equal"

I think they should do this: When you play runescape you select your langauge. When you are playiing, every word on the screen will appear in that langauge ( even if someone chatted in english, it would appear german if you chose the german langauge ). Jagex could set a translator, so people from other countries would be able to chat even in different languages.

Oh, my god. This would absolutely, definitely, positively solve the problem. However, to accomplish that, every single word in the German language, including every slang/leetspeak term ("gut3n t2g"), would have to be entered into a database into the Runescape game. Not only would this take FOREVER, but what if Jagex felt like adding another language, like Spanish? They would have to do the same thing for all of those languages, too ("H0la!!!11!!"). That would take such a massive amount of money... Jagex would never do that.

Sorry to burst your bubble. It was a good idea otherwise, though. :roll:

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)