Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

TotalTalker

well first of all, there are no national versions (as far as I'm concerned). There are 3 versions of the book:

One is 607 pages long with them trying to escape the vault on the cover (crappiest one by far)

[hide]medium_pottercover3.jpg[/hide]

second is the one the original quote was referring to, where harry is raising his hand, that is the original cover.

[hide]hpdhcover.jpg[/hide]

third has the slitherin's locket on the cover (best:))

[hide]UKAdultDeathlyHallows.jpg[/hide]

there ARE "national versions". the one with the cover with the gringotts scene is the UK childrens version, the one with the picture of the locket is the UK adults version (bloomsbury editorial for both UK versions), and the one with harry is the US version (scholastic). there is no "original cover" as you call it. theyre just from different editions

oh by the way i dont understand why somne people complain that voldys death is a bit simple. did they expect a big explosion and the death of all the death eaters at the same time? i dont hope so, because he was just a man after all, hit by an avada kedavra.

mitsubishi64.jpeg

Click my main sig to see my fakes :D

Proud to be Mexican, yay!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the book overall was really good but very suprising at moments.. but it didnt turn out nearly as dark as i thought it would be. i mean i thought it would end up terrible with some drastic death etc.. and in my opinion more than 2 important characters died. it was more like 6

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive.

People can read it in 5 or less hours because they are good readers. :roll:

I know I didn't skim read and finished in 4 and a half hours.

So you read over 2 pages/minute, not skimming at all?

Just finished it, took me 14 hours with a few breaks, not that impressive, but I tried to take in everything and understand those long and deep explanations, mostly the ones Dumbledore gave before I moved on.

Luckily, I didn't feel devastated by any means it was the last book. After finished the past books I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for the next one, but at the end of this one, I felt satisfied. I remember thinking "Wow, this is the end. The series and the characters in it that have grown up with me since elementary school is finally over." As lame as this is going to sound, these books will probably hold a place in my heart for the rest of my life, not just because they are good books but because of the nostalgia they will bring

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

People can read it in 5 or less hours because they are good readers. :roll:

I know I didn't skim read and finished in 4 and a half hours.

So you read over 2 pages/minute, not skimming at all?

Just finished it, took me 14 hours with a few breaks, not that impressive, but I tried to take in everything and understand those long and deep explanations, mostly the ones Dumbledore gave before I moved on.

Luckily, I didn't feel devastated by any means it was the last book. After finished the past books I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for the next one, but at the end of this one, I felt satisfied. I remember thinking "Wow, this is the end. The series and the characters in it that have grown up with me since elementary school is finally over." As lame as this is going to sound, these books will probably hold a place in my heart for the rest of my life, not just because they are good books but because of the nostalgia they will bring

That is exactly how I felt!

And I'm not sure how fast I read, but every 15 minutes or so if I would look at the page number it would be 30+ pages farther. xD

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

Loose ends will be covered with the new Encyclopedia. Hence why the last chapter was more of a sentimental chapter.

Exactly

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

I can't believe everybody rushed through the read like this. Didn't any of you wish to savour the experience? I've been reading a few chapters, then reviewing said chapters with a friend who was reading too, making up theories as we went along. I finished today and still think I've read way too fast. Couldn't help myself...

Anyway, I loved the book. It was very grim though and things looked very bad about halfway. My heart was hammering in my chest most of the time. Didn't like the LOTR-thievery though. But Rowling has a flair for mixing drama with humour, which I find irresistible.

[hide]I loved the scene where Hermione and Ron kissed in the midst of battle, with Harry baffled, saying "Is this really the time?"

Snape had me in stitches too, he has such a wonderful sense of dry irony. When Dumbledore tells him Snape would have to kill him, his reaction "Would you like me to do it now or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?" Just. Too. Good. I don't know how he'd feel about having a Potter brat named after him though...[/hide]

I thought the book was pretty good. [hide]I was a little bit disappointed that it ended so easily (i mean, it was just a nice ending like lots of kids books). I did find it kinda funning that Harry and Ginny had 5 kids :shock: :D . [/hide]

Getting another sig

[removed]

I thought the book was pretty good. [hide]I was a little bit disappointed that it ended so easily (i mean, it was just a nice ending like lots of kids books). I did find it kinda funning that Harry and Ginny had 5 kids :shock: :D . [/hide]

[hide=correction]3 kids, not 5. Sorry to be so nit-picky.[/hide]

Yeah...finished it on the first day. Didn't want anyone giving me spoilers before I was done. Especially since I was off to summer camp the day after it came out, I wanted to finish it before I left.

I liked it. Nice ending, doesn't leave me all "NOooooo, it's over!" as I thought it would.

sig2.jpg

It was an amazing end to the 7th and final book, although I wish JKR could have written more to the end instead of that short 19years later bit with only 4 pages or so. [/hide]

[hide]There was a video of an interview with JK Rowling and she answered some questions. She said that Ron and Harry are Aurors and Hermione is in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.[/hide]

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

And this.

[hide]Harry Dies.[/hide]

[hide]No, he wasn't really killed by the Killing Curse (just like when he was a baby). He just has a talk with Dumbledore and he tells Harry he can go back and fight Voldemort or board one of the trains and pass into t he Afterlife. Harry chose to fight.[/hide]

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Here's a question for thought: Which character had it worst in the final book?

My personal choice would be George; he loses an ear (and we get all those lame holey-jokes), and then his twin brother. Maybe it's just because I'm a twin, but to lose your best friend and sibling all in one. Plus we know how close Fred & George were. I want to know what happens to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes after Fred's death. Any other thoughts?

Or do you think anyone had it worse than George? (Please don't say Snape, he's a shifty little guy who deserved what he got!)

My personal choice would be George; he loses an ear (and we get all those lame holey-jokes), and then his twin brother. Maybe it's just because I'm a twin, but to lose your best friend and sibling all in one. Plus we know how close Fred & George were. I want to know what happens to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes after Fred's death. Any other thoughts?

Or do you think anyone had it worse than George? (Please don't say Snape, he's a shifty little guy who deserved what he got!)

I don't really see how he deserved what he got. Honestly, Snape put Voldemort at a huge disadvantage. Snape was on Dumbledore's and the Order's side the whole time but only Dumbledore and himself knew it.

I don't really see how he deserved what he got. Honestly, Snape put Voldemort at a huge disadvantage. Snape was on Dumbledore's and the Order's side the whole time but only Dumbledore and himself knew it.

Snape deserved it because

1. He was a creepy Lily-stalker!

2. He chose to put himself into that position of secrecy. Dumbledore would've told others, except that Snape himself requested that nobody know that he was out to protect Lily Evans' son.

3. It's nice for him to be a double agent and all, but it runs with risks. If he had stayed solidly on his own side, I think I'd feel a bit sorrier for him.

If Voldemort had not killed Snape and consequently won the Battle at Hogwarts, I honestly don't see Snape standing up to him at the last second. He would've taken a position similar to Aberforth's; hopelessnes, "it's all over, we can't fight it," and probably gone back to skulking at people and stalking other guys' wives.

It found it very funny that Dawlish is everyone's punching bag. Seriously, whenever they get an auror to tail/take in custody someone, he goes and gets himself hurt.

You gotta love deus ex machina. The Harry Potter books are filled to the brim with it.

mysig31ha.png

2. He chose to put himself into that position of secrecy. Dumbledore would've told others, except that Snape himself requested that nobody know that he was out to protect Lily Evans' son.

3. It's nice for him to be a double agent and all, but it runs with risks. If he had stayed solidly on his own side, I think I'd feel a bit sorrier for him.

If Voldemort had not killed Snape and consequently won the Battle at Hogwarts, I honestly don't see Snape standing up to him at the last second. He would've taken a position similar to Aberforth's; hopelessnes, "it's all over, we can't fight it," and probably gone back to skulking at people and stalking other guys' wives.

Meh, way to go in not getting the point. I don't see how anybody could not feel sorry or sympathy for Snape.

1. Yes, his love for Lily was obsessive and possessive. He was completely love-starved as a kid, and never had any real friends apart from Lily. No matter if you call him a stalker, Lily considered him her best friend for years.

2. Erm, how could you be a spy and not be in a position of secrecy? Snape didn't want anybody to now about Lily partly out of pride, but also because of his position with Voldemort.

3. Yeah right. Snape has always followed Dumbledore's orders, even when he was feeling used by him. He even wrecked his own soul in following Dumbledore's order to kill him. He would not have stood aside at the very last moment. In the end, Snape did work for the greater good, by telling Harry about his fate, even if this went against his constant protection of Harry.

Sheesh, Snape has lived without hope all his life, his only goal was to make amends to Lily, by protecting her much-hated son and following Dumbledore's orders. He has lived his life as a slave to Dumbledore and Voldemort. All out of love, the most valued power in the books. Things could have turned out so differently for this guy and he knew it. He was brave, if not a hero.

Meh, way to go in not getting the point. I don't see how anybody could not feel sorry or sympathy for Snape.

1. Yes, his love for Lily was obsessive and possessive. He was completely love-starved as a kid, and never had any real friends apart from Lily. No matter if you call him a stalker, Lily considered him her best friend for years.

2. Erm, how could you be a spy and not be in a position of secrecy? Snape didn't want anybody to now about Lily partly out of pride, but also because of his position with Voldemort.

3. Yeah right. Snape has always followed Dumbledore's orders, even when he was feeling used by him. He even wrecked his own soul in following Dumbledore's order to kill him. He would not have stood aside at the very last moment. In the end, Snape did work for the greater good, by telling Harry about his fate, even if this went against his constant protection of Harry.

Sheesh, Snape has lived without hope all his life, his only goal was to make amends to Lily, by protecting her much-hated son and following Dumbledore's orders. He has lived his life as a slave to Dumbledore and Voldemort. All out of love, the most valued power in the books. Things could have turned out so differently for this guy and he knew it. He was brave, if not a hero.

Man it sucks to be Snape. Do you know what it is like to like your best (female) friend?

Let me explain this to you. It's like going to a job interview like this:

Employer (girl): Hayyy man. You are qualified for our job and you fit perfectly. You have the chemistry, qualifications, and experience for this job! It's perfect for you...except we're...not going to hire you...WE're probably going to employ someone less qualified...and probably an alcoholic

Best friend:.........

Employer: Yeah, you probably wont ever get this job...but is it okay if we call you from time to time to complain about the guy we did employ?

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Can anyone explain to me how the fact that "Harry has the power to love, unlike Voldermort," as Dumbledore said had an effect on the story? I thought there was going to be some final scene where Harry was going to kill Voldermort and somehow this power to love was going to do the final job of finishing him up.[hide] Was it just the fact that instead of going into the afterlife he chose to stay and fight for his friends?[/hide]

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Can anyone explain to me how the fact that "Harry has the power to love, unlike Voldermort," as Dumbledore said had an effect on the story? I thought there was going to be some final scene where Harry was going to kill Voldermort and somehow this power to love was going to do the final job of finishing him up.[hide] Was it just the fact that instead of going into the afterlife he chose to stay and fight for his friends?[/hide]

I was under the impression that it wasn't really love that destroyed Voldemort, it was just Dumbledore's manipulation of everything and Voldemort's own mistakes, arrogance, and ignorance.

I'm pretty sure Rowling meant that Harry's love translates into his selflessness, and he was willing to sacrifice himself to save everyone. But, of course, that really doesn't make sense since nowhere did Harry's love directly lead to him defeating Voldemort. But it did protect the others from Voldemort. I really don't know haha.

mysig31ha.png

[hide]I'm pretty sure it's because he loved all of the innocent people so much that he was willing to die for them. This in turn allowed Harry to die to get rid of the horcrux inside of him but still be able to return and finish Voldemort off.[/hide]

[hide]I'm pretty sure it's because he loved all of the innocent people so much that he was willing to die for them. This in turn allowed Harry to die to get rid of the horcrux inside of him but still be able to return and finish Voldemort off.[/hide]

I don't think that true. Dumbledore told him that it was Lily's blood that prevented Harry from dying. Thereofre, it was Lily's blood that prevented Harry from dying. Pretty simple.

Rowling never followed up on what Dumbledore said...like "that may have made all the difference." Harry's willingness to sacrifice himself (aka love) really led to the protection of everyone against Hogwarts against Voldemort's spells, as Harry pointed out that they weren't binding anymore.

mysig31ha.png