Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

TotalTalker

The scarriest part of the book.

[hide]"Well," said Harry, glancing at Hermione, who nodded encouragingly, "it's about that symbol you were wearing around your neck at Bill and Fleur's wedding, Mr. Lovegood. We wondered what it meant."

Xenophilius raised his eyebrows.

"Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?" [/hide]

By the way what the hell is the cover's about? Which scene?

Lol I knew about that when I was reading that part in the book.

I completed the book in the two weeks that I was on holiday (altough I did read about 150 pages on the day I got it :P )

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good read, but I was a little disappointed. :( The start was slow and repetitive, and the end flashed by too quickly.

JKR is bloodthirsty in The Deathly Hallows. There are many major deaths, none of which are as suspenseful or dramatic as they should be. Most of them are unnecessary and rushed. "Oh, they're dead." :roll:

Dumbledore's death in the Half-Blood Prince, for example, is a well-written tragedy. In that, JKR uses foreshadowing and dramatic irony to increase suspense. The resulting death acts as an excellent climax in the novel and the d̮̩̉̉nouement is very moving.

Just my two cents.

NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU @#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Haha, my favorite part. Im surprised I didn't get in trouble for reading the book in class because my teacher read it also. :-k

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

I just finished it...I dunno, I feel wierd. :anxious:

There was one part I didn't understand, in the chapter " The Prince's Tale" when Snape and Dumbledore were in Dumbledore's office, and Snape cast his Doe patronus, why did dumbledore get tears in his eyes and say something along the lines of " It was you all along?".

That part I did not get at all, can someone please explain?

EDIT: Oh and I think the seventh movie will be bad, too many important details they will have to chop up and mosh it all together.

There was one part I didn't understand, in the chapter " The Prince's Tale" when Snape and Dumbledore were in Dumbledore's office, and Snape cast his Doe patronus, why did dumbledore get tears in his eyes and say something along the lines of " It was you all along?".

EDIT: Oh and I think the seventh movie will be bad, too many important details they will have to chop up and mosh it all together.

This may reveal parts of the book to people who havnt read it yet, so open at your own risk.

[hide]Well a doe patronus went to harry just before he found the Gryffindor sword. Maybe he meant that it was Snape who sent the doe. (actually it may not of been, because Dumbledore told Snape to go now, and he then got the sword of Gryffindor from behind the portrait of Dumbledore.)[/hide]

This may reveal parts of the book to people who havnt read it yet, so open at your own risk.

[hide]Well a doe patronus went to harry just before he found the Gryffindor sword. Maybe he meant that it was Snape who sent the doe. (actually it may not of been, because Dumbledore told Snape to go now, and he then got the sword of Gryffindor from behind the portrait of Dumbledore.)[/hide]

I thought that at first too, but that can't be it, because he sent the Doe AFTER Dumbledore had died. So I don't get it. :-s

I thought that at first too, but that can't be it, because he sent the Doe AFTER Dumbledore had died. So I don't get it. :-s

Maybe it had something to do with Snapes' past?

Maybe it had something to do with Snapes' past?

well he could have been talking to dumbledores picture.. unless it said dumbledore was at his desk.. but the picture was right behind the desk.. well i dunno just an idea.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Here's the answer. It has spoilers (for all of you that don't need spoilers)

[hide]

This was near the end, correct? Harry was in Snape's memory, which he had recieved shortly before Snape died. The event you're talking about was waaaaaay long ago. Read what Dumbledore said again, because I'm too lazy to go back and quote it, but he was talking about how Snape loved Lily Evans, even after all that time.

[/hide]

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

Here's the answer. It has spoilers (for all of you that don't need spoilers)

[hide]

This was near the end, correct? Harry was in Snape's memory, which he had recieved shortly before Snape died. The event you're talking about was waaaaaay long ago. Read what Dumbledore said again, because I'm too lazy to go back and quote it, but he was talking about how Snape loved Lily Evans, even after all that time.

[/hide]

[hide]Is that why Snapes patronus was the same as Lily's? Because he loved her?[/hide]

The book, in my opinion was very good. There was only one thing i noticed. Did the polyjuice potion get upgraded or something? It seemed that when they changed into different people, it lasted for ages. :-s Confusling.

LiFE-1.jpg

The book, in my opinion was very good. There was only one thing i noticed. Did the polyjuice potion get upgraded or something? It seemed that when they changed into different people, it lasted for ages. :-s Confusling.
They drank more? What I have noticed is that Rowling chose to ignore that before the Polyjuice potion only changed your looks, not your voice.
rickastleywh7.png

Ive read it alredy!

Spoilers[hide]Harry dies and comes back to life, kills voldemort, and fred dies[/hide]

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

I just finished it!! I loved the whole book beggining to end. The whole storyline of Harry Potter was all concluded in that book.

[hide]Everything from Dumbledore's death, to the golden snitch Harry first caught. I'm just amazed at what a wonderful book that was. The best part of it was during the final chapters with Hogwarts. I thought Hagrid died. :( Haha.

Bye Harry. :cry: <3: [/hide]

I'm still left with some very irritating questions about Harry Potter though, although the most irritating thing was Rowling abusing her power as writer and truly showing the world what deus ex machina is all about.

Paintings - Wtf? Are they sentient? The Dumbledore painting fully understood Harry's choices at the end of the book.

Magical power and skill - Rowling never explained this. Was it natural talent that made Dumbledore so brilliant? That made Hermione learn spells quicker than anyone? Rowling certainly mentions magical power, like when Harry said Dumbledore could cast a disillusion charm so powerful it could make him completely invisible. We know it differs from wizard to wizard, but we never find out how or why.

Magical spells - A movement and a word put together. Some spells, like the unforgivable curses and the patronus, require concentration, willpower and whatnot. But that's all there is to it. You don't even need to think about what it does, like the first time Harry used levicorpus and sectumsempra. I find it very disturbing. Rowling definitely should have explained more.

mysig31ha.png

I'm still left with some very irritating questions about Harry Potter though, although the most irritating thing was Rowling abusing her power as writer and truly showing the world what deus ex machina is all about.

Paintings - Wtf? Are they sentient? The Dumbledore painting fully understood Harry's choices at the end of the book.

Magical power and skill - Rowling never explained this. Was it natural talent that made Dumbledore so brilliant? That made Hermione learn spells quicker than anyone? Rowling certainly mentions magical power, like when Harry said Dumbledore could cast a disillusion charm so powerful it could make him completely invisible. We know it differs from wizard to wizard, but we never find out how or why.

Magical spells - A movement and a word put together. Some spells, like the unforgivable curses and the patronus, require concentration, willpower and whatnot. But that's all there is to it. You don't even need to think about what it does, like the first time Harry used levicorpus and sectumsempra. I find it very disturbing. Rowling definitely should have explained more.

I always thought that magical power and skill came purely from intelligence and wizardÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s natural tendencies towards certain subjects. Harry was interested in DADA so he was good at it. Divination bored him to death so he had no idea what was going on. Hermione and Dumbledore were just really bright people which was why they were so good at magic in general.

They drank more? What I have noticed is that Rowling chose to ignore that before the Polyjuice potion only changed your looks, not your voice.

It's one of the downfalls of Rowling's writing that she tends to take the easy way out. I noticed that the Polyjuice Potion was changing their voices as well even though when first introduced in CoS it didn't. We can assume that she changed it with Barty Crouch Jr. impersonating Moody. I also noticed that boggarts were never dealt with in the same way again, by forcing them to assume an amusing shape and the laughter finishing them. After PoA characters just said Ridikkulus and the boggart disappeared. . .

I'm sure there are more holes, but I'm too tired to think of them now. It is rather diappointing that Rowling chose to disregard what she had already written because it served her purposes better.

p2gq.jpg

(in response to the posts above)

The Harry Potter series focuses more on plot, rather than displaying an accurate, detailed world and covering up every loophole. J.K. Rowling focused more on the characters and what happened to them, rather than the magical world and all its components. To me, it seems like she made up a lot of things as she went along, which caused her to want to change her mind later, or just make careless mistakes. Whereas someone who was more devoted to creating a magical fantasy world and planning every last detail, would probably have figured everything out before proceeding to finish off the series.

Just my thoughts on it and interpretation of her writing style :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog