Moderator Status: Good or Bad?

This topic is about exactly what the title says; is being a moderator in game a good thing or a bad thing? There are really two aspects I'm speaking of here.

One aspect is the recognition. With that little silver crown next to your name, do you get more good attention or bad attention?

The other is a matter of corruption. Does getting that crown corrupt some people? Does it make them "power-hungry" and/or abuse their powers?

So the question is, does being a Moderator in game overall hinder or ease your gaming experience?

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on the person, for me I think it would be a positive thing.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I've seen some moderators abusing their crown, they think they can do whatever you want, also, the public will abuse you, saying "You're banning everyone" so you get little respect, but from the players who are honest you will be respected greatly.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

I like mods, but hate it when they show up near me.

Everyone around me askes the mod stupid questions like "How'd you become a mod?" "what levels are you?" " Can I have your crown pl0x?"

It ruins the chatscreen. And a good converation with those around me.

I like them existing. BUt hate them when they appear near me.

Being a moderator gives you a distinct advantage in trading. In a crowded world 2 where many traders put public chat to hide to block off massive flooding in chatbox, but your chat is unblockable so in a way your chat becomes more noticeable. Other than that there is not really anything else to being a mod.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

its definately a posotive thing for me. I absorb attention and generally talk friendlily with evryone. Being a mod is just a starting point for a conversation for me :).

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

It can get *Quite* annoying to be a mod. But it has made me meet a great bunch of persons, I've got the power to hinder people to abuse the rules. The advantage of trading is rather minor, so I never notice it :) Though it is easier to spot a mod selling something in a crowded world then it is to find a non-mod.

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

I don't know if I respect mods or not. On the one hand, it shows that they have been good to the community by reporting rule breakers but on the other hand, sometimes people report things that are minor problems at best. I think if there was no silver crown next to mod's names, the average quality of reports to Jagex would sky-rocket whilst the overall number of reports would plumet. If that happened I would certainly respect mods whereas at the moment, I can't help but feel that some mods don't really deserve that crown. Just my thoughts.

My friend you would not tell with such high zest / to children ardent for some desperate glory / the old lie: Dulce et decorum est / pro patria mori.

These 'noobs' are not people as such, they are soulless creations of corporate greed.

Everyone around me askes the mod stupid questions like "How'd you become a mod?" "what levels are you?" " Can I have your crown pl0x?"

I like them existing. BUt hate them when they appear near me.

Put your chat on friends, mods can talk through if you hide it.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

I can see it's a positive thing, certainly in World 1,2,3,4,5 and all other populated Market Worlds.

Also, the attention can be good.

Bad things: The attention (I know someone who stopped being one because of it).

And all the whiners, but I assume you have that less in P2P.

Also, it's a hell while pking I assume.

Don't know if I would like being an in-game mod.

Certainly not on my pure.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I like them existing. But hate them when they appear near me.

Put your chat on friends, mods can talk through if you hide it.

I may want to speak to someone other than the mod you know <.< . I also don't want to put everyone on my friends list. Because i usually forget about putting them off. Besides. we might not be friends. I just want to talk to someone to pass the time.

in future, no one ever reply to me by saying "Turn your public chat to friends/ off / hide." It does not solve the problem. As I like to speak to people with out me having to instantly become a friend. Most of the time I'm debating about things. Not having just a friendly conversation.

I suppose it depends on the person, for me I think it would be a positive thing.

NJE03... try to elaborate a tad bit more on that. After all, that is what the Debate Club is for. Why would it be a positive thing for you?
Okay let's see, for one no matter what anyones chat is set on you can always get your message across even in world 1 for example. Generally speaking, I would say most people have respect for player moderators also.

The downsides are few in my eyes. You get to explain why you have a crown next to your name is. Basically people asking a lot of questions is what I usually come across when I am near a player moderator.

I have no problem answering peoples questions therefore that wouldn't be a setback for me. But if people have a problem or are bothered by having to answer the same questions regularly this might might outweigh the positives.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

as a player moderator, i can honestly say it hinders more than it helps...

just yesterday, i went to catherby and had to answer the same question three times simultaneously... with a punding headache...

other times i've had people accusing me of muting them or asking to unban an account that they owned.

regular people will not know unless they become mods themselves, and despite what they may say about hating mods, many people will not think twice about accepting.

I am not and have never been a moderator. But I cannot help but think that being a mod would be far more trouble than it's worth. People continually bugging you, being afraid to comment on a topic being spoken about because it'll reveal your crown and then you get spammed... *shudder*. That said, I'd say yes if Jagex asked, most likely out of noble sense of duty or something... but I'd probably help less people than I do now because of it.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

But I cannot help but think that being a mod would be far more trouble than it's worth. People continually bugging you, being afraid to comment on a topic being spoken about because it'll reveal your crown and then you get spammed... *shudder*.

Basically, you are saying that you would be a celebrity. Think how Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie feel every time they walk out of their house and have 15k cameras flashed in their faces.

Being a mod, I think would have both good and bad sides. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, but not many can actually handle the responsibility of the "job".

4774_e3d1ea.png

I'm a married mother that plays RuneScape. Got a problem with that?

I agree with the first replier. There's no answer to this question, it relies very much on the person. I personally don't need to be a moderator in order to help people. I help people out of the kindness of my own heart, and report people where I see fit. I don't see how a little silver crown makes me any more capable than a mod for helping on-line gameplay.

Therefore, I come to the conclusion that mods aren't really all that needed, as opposed to a more, for lack of a better word, pleasent community. Mods receive recognition they arguably don't deserve, but also they don't really see many benefits in people constantly harrassing them. We've had cases of corruption and the abuse of powers added to this. So can someone please explain to me why we need mods in the first place, when there are plenty of non-mods that do their job just fine?

One aspect is the recognition. With that little silver crown next to your name, do you get more good attention or bad attention?

The other is a matter of corruption. Does getting that crown corrupt some people? Does it make them "power-hungry" and/or abuse their powers?

So the question is, does being a Moderator in game overall hinder or ease your gaming experience?

first ur Qs:

1) yes it gets me recognition and its mostly good

2) i dont thiiiiiiink im corrupted :ohnoes: ;and i never abuse but i can see y ppl would, but then again, ppl date on rs so yeah, humans do werid things

3) it DOES NOT!!! ease the gaming experience

when u say hinder, it is hindersome, becuase of there are ppl that are wanna-be-mods that pm u millions of reports, and there are the first time greeters that say HIHIHIHIHIHI and since im nice i reply to most of these

but yeah, NOT easier

i rly dont think there is one aspect that u can argue would make a mod's life 'easier' than a normal player's

This topic is about exactly what the title says; is being a moderator in game a good thing or a bad thing? There are really two aspects I'm speaking of here.

With that little silver crown next to your name, do you get more good attention or bad attention?

I would say more bad attention. I have met with lots of players who just wants to annoy me, or pesters me to be their girlfriend. Some even accused me as a hacker, when they have no evidence at all. :|

Does getting that crown corrupt some people? Does it make them "power-hungry" and/or abuse their powers?

Yes, for some moderators, the status can make them corrupt. But the good thing is, they would be removed swiftly.

I think the most important thing you have to consider before becoming a mod is, are you for the power or for your eagerness to help the community? If you are after the crown and the modding powers, you should never think of becoming a mod. If your intentions is just to have the powers, you would not be able to hold on to it for long.

It hinders in some ways, while it helps in others. To me, a worthy gaming experience is not just about levels and making money, but also about contributing to the community. (By helping others in other words) While being a mod has hindered me from leveling at times, it did allow me to contribute more to the community. So, I think it's all a worthy choice. \'

I agree with the first replier. There's no answer to this question, it relies very much on the person. I personally don't need to be a moderator in order to help people. I help people out of the kindness of my own heart, and report people where I see fit. I don't see how a little silver crown makes me any more capable than a mod for helping on-line gameplay.

Therefore, I come to the conclusion that mods aren't really all that needed, as opposed to a more, for lack of a better word, pleasent community. Mods receive recognition they arguably don't deserve, but also they don't really see many benefits in people constantly harrassing them. We've had cases of corruption and the abuse of powers added to this. So can someone please explain to me why we need mods in the first place, when there are plenty of non-mods that do their job just fine?

The reason is simple, not all players know how to report, or what to report, or what are more serious offences that need to be reported at once. I have talked with some players before, and some don't even know there was a "report" button.

By having player mods who can mute, they can control the amount of damage rule-breakers do to the community and the game. By having priority reports and communicating with the staff members, Jagex get to know more about the situations in game, and what needs their attention the most.

Player mods are basically the representatives of the community, who can allow Jagex to know more about the community and its changes, at the same time, helping Jagex with handling rule-breakers. They are responsible players, who knows what is right and wrong, and have the self control to not abuse their modding powers.

But they are still humans, they can get tempted and they do make mistakes. It's not right to say "All player mods are power abusers and arrogant people" just because a few are.

RS Player Since 2006

Ltfairy.png