So, how hard is university?

Bloodstain

Well, graduating high school this year with 80+ average and going to a university for my Bachelor of Arts ...taking Conflict Resolution, Intro to History, and a mandatory Academic Writting course( because my english mark was below 80)(around 75 i think...so close #-o ) to become a cop.

The things you need to know just to REGISTER and arrange a time table is over whelming. After years of teachers telling me how hard university is going to be, i am really stressed out because i don't want to do bad since it costs so much, but i suck at writing essays (english, which is our writing course, my average was around 75 like mentioned before) and i struggle with writing good papers. I'm taking two 6 credit hour courses and one 3 credit hour, credit hour means hours in that class per week or something, and heard that for every hour in class, you will need to do 2 - 3 hours of studying/work at home.I heard that the professors don't care whether you pass or fail and won't help you, and a bunch of other bad things and i'm really nervous/stressed.

So, how bad is university REALLY?

yes.png

It's a little too easy for me actually... motivation is an issue when you're free to come and go and a semester is 13 weeks where as in school 13 weeks would have been a little over a term and it's manditory.

University can be extremely difficult at times.

But isn't it so worth it? :D

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I remember at my last year at school my teachers telling us that uni would be so difficult and that if you weren't 100% into doing your studies you would fail.

In reality I found uni much easier than I expected. I would have preffered it a bit tougher actually.

As was said, motivation is a big part. The lecturers/tutors /etc do help you out a lot and most of them do want you to pass if you show motivation to learn. They wont care however if you fail to turn up to lectures/tutorials or you don't hand in work.

Basically don't be scared off. It's a great experience.

sig2ho7.jpg

If you major in psychology or communications or some of the other liberal arts degrees.... easy

If you major in engineering or architecture or some of the harder sciences... tough

All depends on where your interests are. I find the concepts of biology and chemistry pretty straight foreward but not overly easily so. I've never really considered myself smart. All it takes is interest.

As a side note I would like to add that I'm not saying the easy degrees are bad if that is your thing. I'm just saying they are easier than those other degrees.

I majored in mechanical engineering because I wasn't sure what to major in and I forced my way through it when I would have enjoyed something like history or economics a lot more. Yes I got a harder degree but now I'm not even sure if I want to be an engineer so for me it might not have been the best degree. Even if in the long term it wasn't the best degree for me it will open doors for me that a lot of other degrees wouldn't open so when I do decide what I want to do it will be easier than if I had just gotten some dime a dozen for graduates easy degree.

In the end just do what you love. If you aren't sure then just get a respectable degree that you can get a decent job with.

Ambassadar.png

If you major in psychology or communications or some of the other liberal arts degrees.... easy

If you major in engineering or architecture or some of the harder sciences... tough

**** #-o

I'm only a senior in high school next year, but I know I'm going to be taking engineering/architecture/sciences >_<. (Okay, I don't "know", how 'bout "very strongly inclined").

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

for every hour in class, you will need to do 2 - 3 hours of studying/work at home.

Nope, you won't need to do that (I don't know anyone that does). After a bit of time you'll pick up your own studying habbits, and the way you study may depend a lot on each class.

I'd recommend to take as much notes as you can, do not rely only on your books. While the book may seem to be error-proof, the notes will be more valuable as they tell you exactly what your prof wants you to know. Prof's like to sneak in stuff that isn't in the book also.

The difficulty depends on a lot of stuff, from university, major, class, professor, RL stuff going on. As long as you stay focused and ask for help when you need help, you'll do fine.

Many universities have writing centers that can help you with your essays for free, so check that out.

Professors want their students to succeed, but they will not tell you to ask for help when they see you're slacking. The main thing is that you have to go to them if you need help, not wait for them to come to you, because they won't.

For now, just relax till classes start, everyone else in your class will be just like you so you won't be alone. Just keep a nice balance between studying and fun.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Once you get into your major make some friends and study together. It makes studying waaaay more efficient. Also make some friends that are further along in the degree and get old tests the teachers gave and work them to prepare for test times. A lot of professors will give similar tests so it can really help out and you can get a feel for the style test they will give.

Ambassadar.png

Once you get into your major make some friends and study together. It makes studying waaaay more efficient. Also make some friends that are further along in the degree and get old tests the teachers gave and work them to prepare for test times. A lot of professors will give similar tests so it can really help out and you can get a feel for the style test they will give.

That's very good advice, my grades were excellent the second I made a couple of post-grad and doctorate friends in the field.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Remember how people said high school would be hard? Remember how hard it wasn't? Same thing here, I'd imagine.

Everyone I know that goes to college is a straight-up jacktard (drinking, drugs, wasting time in general, etc etc) and they do fine.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Remember how people said high school would be hard? Remember how hard it wasn't? Same thing here, I'd imagine.

Everyone I know that goes to college is a straight-up jacktard (drinking, drugs, wasting time in general, etc etc) and they do fine.

Are you kidding me? Easy teachers you have -.- .

The school year I just finished was Junior year, the hardest at my school. I got 6-7 hours of homework a night; 3 hours was a godsend -.- . High school is and has been harder than I was told it would be. The people you know are just going to semi-easy party schools, that's my guess anyways :| .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It's nowhere near as hard as it gets built up to be when your in high school. All their rubbish about university being unbelievably difficult had me so nervous when I was going into my first year of uni but I made it through it and I've just finished my 2nd year exams.

It's harder than high school but it's not too much of a step up because the classes are all relating to one another (like incest). As long as you attend classes, pay attention and ask question when you need to then you'll be fine

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

The hardest thing about university for me was managing my own learning. Motivating myself to do things in good time and not leaving things to the last minute. Researching topics that weren't taught but needed to know.

This all means that my dissertation was the hardest part. It was a program (an internet latency monitor in VB 2005) and a 100 page report on it. Most courses (here, at least) have some big project in their final year.

It may be hard but for the most part it's stuff you're interested in.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

It depends on how you got your current grades, rather than what they are. If you had to spend lots and lots of hours studying outside classes in high school, expect nothing less at the uni level. If you could've studied more but didn't because you couldn't be arsed and the grades you got were enough to get you were you wanted to go, well, you can use the same approach - you're just more likely to spend more time doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's more difficult, it's just different in terms of how you study. You need to take an active role in your learning, you need to plan when and how to best study - because as you'll notice, there's a whole lot less coddling students who are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own studies.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Like I said, it all depends on what degree you are in. Freshman year my pre-engineering classes would have hundreds of people in them. They would fill up entire auditoriums. By senior year I graduated with a group of about 30 in Mechanical Engineering. Where did all the people go? They were literally trying to flunk people out until our final semester or two.

I remember in my System Dynamics and Analysis class that was one of the very last classes needed before you could take Senior Design II almost half our class dropped out after the first test. Keep in mind these are people that have already passed 3 or 4 years of engineering classes already so they aren't dumb by any means. I pulled a C in that class and was glad for it. In my physics II class I got a 65 on a test and that was the second highest grade in the entire class. It all depends on your major and your teachers.

I have seen classes where if you got on professor it was easy and if you had another professor it was really really hard.

Ambassadar.png

Are you kidding me? Easy teachers you have -.- .

The school year I just finished was Junior year, the hardest at my school. I got 6-7 hours of homework a night; 3 hours was a godsend -.- . High school is and has been harder than I was told it would be. The people you know are just going to semi-easy party schools, that's my guess anyways :| .

Dude, at my school the maximum amount of homework you can have a night in grade 12 is 4 hours :lol:

jjroxlu7.jpg