My studies of various range weapons

Nazgul740

If you think about it really hard, you'll see that using crossbows really depends on the ammo used. You need lots of bolts for this and they are hard to obtain unless you are rich, have a high smithing and mining level, or get lucky...

In the end, the mining skill contributes a LOT to the use of Crossbows.

I truly believe that if people mined gems and higher level ores (addy and runite) more, or if they'd become easier to mine, or if there'd be a small chance for 2 ores form a rock (perhaps this chance increases with higher level?), then people would seriously consider using xbows (cbow = crystal, ya numbnuts)...

Thoughts?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Wow, i found like 600+ short bolts and a hunter bow in a bank once on the ground. i kept it in my bank and thought what the hell, i'll keep it. I never really tested it out. i went to train hunter the other day and made some more bolts just because i had a place holder in my bank and i needed to train hunter. maybe i will try this bow out sometime.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

I still think that ranged is ridiculously underpowered seeing as my max hit with 99 ranged is 25 and with 99 strength you can hit in the region of 41-42. Not really fair is it

IMO it is. Range can hit from a distance, and most of the time take absolutely 0 damage. With melee you have a chance to die and lose your stuff every time.

Also, melee has more high-level weapons, such as dragon scimitars, etc, while range's dragon bolts and bow is still going to come out.

ha ha take 0 damage? yes training but have you ever pked, its easy for mage to not get hit with ice spells but with range as soon as you attack the meleer is right up by you and unless you want to run around trying to not get hit (which is pointless because once you stop theyll hit you) its impossible to "not get hit"

sigggyjv2.gif

Sig by me....

ha ha take 0 damage? yes training but have you ever pked, its easy for mage to not get hit with ice spells but with range as soon as you attack the meleer is right up by you and unless you want to run around trying to not get hit (which is pointless because once you stop theyll hit you) its impossible to "not get hit"

Which is why ranging should only be used with monsters. Just like in real life, shooting arrows at other people is less effective that using them for hunting deer, etc. If you wanted to pk, you shouldn't have chosen range.

Hehe, add a section for crystal bows and karil's bow :D

Rangers are weak in the wilderess, because they were designed to be weak to melee, which happens to be the preferred method of pking.

In history, when armies used archers, they were always defended behind a wall of soldiers with swords & shields or whatever else.

Hehe, add a section for crystal bows and karil's bow :D

Rangers are weak in the wilderess, because they were designed to be weak to melee, which happens to be the preferred method of pking.

In history, when armies used archers, they were always defended behind a wall of soldiers with swords & shields or whatever else.

Rather most of the time they are shooting from inaccessible places (like castle walls) and can't be reached by soldiers with shield and swords.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

I still think that ranged is ridiculously underpowered seeing as my max hit with 99 ranged is 25 and with 99 strength you can hit in the region of 41-42. Not really fair is it

IMO it is. Range can hit from a distance, and most of the time take absolutely 0 damage. With melee you have a chance to die and lose your stuff every time.

Also, melee has more high-level weapons, such as dragon scimitars, etc, while range's dragon bolts and bow is still going to come out.

And this all goes back to the triangle! Range doesn't beat melee... it never has and never will. It simply wasn't designed to do so. Go back to the triange, mage loses against range because of the dragon hide. Yet range beats mage because they just pwn them. Mage beats warrior because mage can freeze and the armour reacts with the mages spells. However warrior pwnz range because of the thin armour he has on.

In short, range was not, has never been designed to kill a warrior! Get over it, use range to kill mages because thats what they're ment to do.

Range is not underpowered. Go kill a mage and you'll own them.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

I truly believe that if people mined gems and higher level ores (addy and runite) more, or if they'd become easier to mine, or if there'd be a small chance for 2 ores form a rock (perhaps this chance increases with higher level?), then people would seriously consider using xbows (cbow = crystal, ya numbnuts)...

Thoughts?

I don't really think that you need to change the game to make this worthwhile. Blessed mith bolts hit pretty good, and you don't really need high mining, smithing, mage or fletching to make blessed mith bolts. Sounds like hunter bow might be better still. I've never tried hunter -- maybe it's time.

punitivedsig.png

And this all goes back to the triangle! Range doesn't beat melee... it never has and never will. It simply wasn't designed to do so. Go back to the triange, mage loses against range because of the dragon hide. Yet range beats mage because they just pwn them. Mage beats warrior because mage can freeze and the armour reacts with the mages spells. However warrior pwnz range because of the thin armour he has on.

In short, range was not, has never been designed to kill a warrior! Get over it, use range to kill mages because thats what they're ment to do.

Yeah but there is a problem with that... because when jagex made mage a thing that you use expendables and never get a chance to pick up or use agin then they scewed rangers... No mage fights a ranger in their mage clothes look at mage bank... they just switch- wala melee time... and good luck trying to hit them then...

Also melee is able to use rangers defencive armor against mages... hell with the bracers they can now get a +2 str added in for some silly reason... D-hide armor should give negatives in strength and attack levels... Its stilly to so totally scew mages by having an armor that blocks 2\3'ds of all casts and then let them use melee weapons as well...

I've seen a pker in mystic try and barrage a guy... hit him once splash all his other trys and get k0'ed 2 seconds later by a 32-30 from dds...

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

Range still has its risks...ask anyone who goes to fight dragons with range.

ok i tell you... which dragons? if you are really a good ranger like me you know your range limits and the blocking space...

Anyway everyone should try Hunter bow in metal dragons..

Not steel dragon btw lol

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

I found out how great the hunter x'bow is as soon as I got the level to hunt razorback kebbits. It hits as hard as a msb with addy arrows, AND you can wield an anti-dragon shield at the same time, which makes it ideal for ranging dragons. And with a little practice, you can track a kebbit in 30 seconds or less. It's not terrible hunter experience, either.

Yeah but there is a problem with that... because when jagex made mage a thing that you use expendables and never get a chance to pick up or use agin then they scewed rangers... No mage fights a ranger in their mage clothes look at mage bank... they just switch- wala melee time... and good luck trying to hit them then...

Also melee is able to use rangers defencive armor against mages... hell with the bracers they can now get a +2 str added in for some silly reason... D-hide armor should give negatives in strength and attack levels... Its stilly to so totally scew mages by having an armor that blocks 2\3'ds of all casts and then let them use melee weapons as well...

I've seen a pker in mystic try and barrage a guy... hit him once splash all his other trys and get k0'ed 2 seconds later by a 32-30 from dds...

Pehaps so.. buts whats stopping you from then switching to melee or even mage? Nothing! Use their own tactics against them.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg