Eek a spider!

Viktorkrum77

Why is it we are so much more likely to be afraid of spiders versus any other insect? They are just like other insects, and some insects look even creepier than them, yet they still rank as a top fear.

Is society to blame for its portrayal of spiders? Or are spider's physique, or maybe even their actions, like building webs, the reason we so often encounter this fear, and on a rather high level?

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tbf I am more scared of Wasps and Bees

First Wasp of the season came through my bedroom this morning #-o

But I squashed the little [cabbage], then sprayed it with insect killer mwhahaha

I dont like spiders...that is house spiders and I am guessing it is because the fear has been passed down from generation to generation mabye? also you can find alot of them in your house and there large compared to most other insects

Society is more scared about spiders because they are more common in our civilized cities and towns, unlike other 'creepy' insects.

Also films painting spiders to be all evil help create the prejudice against them.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

I'm more scared of wasps or bees. The worst one for me is centipedes :-X

Those things are damn scary, so many scuttling legs. Luckily we don't get big ones here in England.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Its all part of the spider conspiracy. They are all plotting and waiting. All those that aren't scared of spiders are gonna be soon when the spider overlords come.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't find most spiders `scary' but brown recluses, and other spiders with venom that isn't just a annoyance if they bite you, i don't exactly like

I am allergic to wasps, bees, hornets and all that happiful stuff, so im more scared of them.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

The pics of the brown recluse bite have never been confirmed. Most people recover completely normally from a bite. don't believe everything your read on the internet

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Is society to blame for its portrayal of spiders?

Bang on the mark. Fear on a large scale is mostly produced by the human imagination. For example, ever since werewolves became popular, more people started to fear wolves. Same with bats turning into vampires. The human brain is quite scary in itself.

Is society to blame for its portrayal of spiders?

Bang on the mark. Fear on a large scale is mostly produced by the human imagination. For example, ever since werewolves became popular, more people started to fear wolves. Same with bats turning into vampires. The human brain is quite scary in itself.

Except unlike bats and wolves spiders DON'T have a negative media image. With the exception of the black widow ive not really heard any bad stories about spiders. The movie arachnophobia is more of a comedy than a serious horror film. I always assumed the fear of spiders to come from when I was really young. Curious about things but not things that move fast or walked all over me. I don't like spiders because I was scared as a kid not because of the media's portrail.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

It's because they can actually hurt...ever been bitten by a spider? I have, and lemme tell you, it's like a giant bee sting that stays around for a week. Hurts like heck.

That and there's always a chance of a brown recluse being around where I live.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Well, where I live spiders don't bother me at all, because they really can't harm you. It's the bees and wasps that scare me more.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

It's because they can actually hurt...ever been bitten by a spider? I have, and lemme tell you, it's like a giant bee sting that stays around for a week. Hurts like heck.

That and there's always a chance of a brown recluse being around where I live.

I luckily don't have hose where I live. But I don't think it's the biting aspect. I've never been bitten nor worried about being bitten by a spider, yet they still creep me out. And I know others who are the same.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.