Runescape Players Racist/Sexist?

Shlaymoed

Everyone knows you can choose the color of your skin and your gender at the beginning of the game. But apparently, now this effects the gameplay entirely. Recently, I saw these 2 scenarios play out.

Rs player 1=Light-colored skin man

Rs player 2=Dark-colored skin man

Rs player 3=Light-colored skin man

Rs player 1:selling full zammy!!!

Rs player 2:I will buy for 2.2mil

Rs player 1:I don't believe you really have that much

Rs player 2:I do, I will show you

Rs player 3:I will buy it, trade me

Rs players 3 and 1:Thanks

This struck me as amazing, I made another post about the decline in the community, but this was too far.

Here is the second scenario that I saw.

Rs player 1=Light-colored skin man

Rs player 2=Light-colored skin woman

Rs player 3=Light-colored skin man

Rs player 1:selling 3k willows 60k!!!

Rs player 2:ill buy all

Rs player 3:no i will buy all

Rs player 2:ill buy all for 70k

Rs player 1:no thanks i want to sell to him (Rs player 3)

I thought this was totally unfair. But also, usually the women players in Runescape get better deals, and people are a lot nicer to them. However, a lot of guys who play Runescape think that an online relationship will actually work as a real relationship (most likely because they can't get a girlfriend in real life). They also think that they can somehow have sex through an online game (which is frankly the stupidest thing i have ever heard).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can jagex monitor that?

Seriously you're complaining about nothing.

EDIT: Also, this doesn't happen 99% of the time. And I bet the black character and the female character were both low level'ed, which led them to assume they didn't have the money.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Yes, how is that Runescape's fault?

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, your commodity drops in value.
[url=http://www.imagehosting.com][img]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i773526_stingtag.gif[/img][/url] [quote name="Capone_Sabre"]People in the wilderness will [b]always[/b] insult you no matter what you do. Just ignore it and kill them.[/quote]

Man you think it's bad now...

Back in '01, there were these three guys who used to be at the mine southwest of Varrock every day spewing racist ideology. Chat filters sucked then - there were ways to say what you wanted to say no matter what.

Female characters were haggled more because everyone secretly suspected that they were guys planning to steal some money and items from everyone (as indeed happened to many wealthy players). If only RS had prenup, eh? :lol:

But wow this is something else... I didn't think people would actively discriminate on the basis of race/gender in a role-playing game... Maybe in those two cases the shaftees were dressed like lower level players? :?

That's bizarre, really. :shock:

No, everyone mentioned in the scenarios were high level players. I think the woman in the second scenario was actually 5 or 6 levels higher than the guy. But everyone was at least level 70.

Oh, and ugafan, I don't expect Jagex to even try and monitor this. I'm just saying I think it's unfair, but it's not really a rant.

Yes, how is that Runescape's fault?

Oops, I meant to say Runescape players.

In that case... Yes. I think we can all agree that the Runescape community is horrible. It's already been established.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, your commodity drops in value.
[url=http://www.imagehosting.com][img]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i773526_stingtag.gif[/img][/url] [quote name="Capone_Sabre"]People in the wilderness will [b]always[/b] insult you no matter what you do. Just ignore it and kill them.[/quote]

i dont get the point of this topic because their behavior isnt influenced by runescape. its just like in real life there will always be racist/sexist people. you should change the topic title to "humans are racist/sexist?"

Women don't play Runescape, moron.

That was a sarcastic comment ment only for irony. I acually think that racism and sexism are obviously apart of today's society so it comes to no shock to me that yes, people's playing games in today's society are sexist and racist.

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i

You're forgeting one key element:

THERE ARE NO WOMEN IN THE INTERNETZ!!11

Theory pwnd' *slams book*

Nah, I'm kiddn. I've never seen racism/sexist in RS, cept for the common "be my gf plz" comment, I think harrasments between race and sex is low.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've never seen racism or sexism in RuneScape in 6 1/2 years.

Now I think about it, that's pretty astonishing since I've seen just about every other prejudice a person could possibly have, on a weekly basis.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

I notice how you don't give the levels of all those players. Please don't leave out information to try and prove a point. Did it even occur to you that both player 2's were low levels by comparison to everyone else and as any experianced trader owuld be inclined to do both player 1's trade with the higher levels first?

Well, only time is when I was in fight pits. Must have been some racist clan or something. I wanted my character's skin dark, but I picked a shade too dark, so I look black, and I've been too lazy to change it.

Anyway, I was at fight pits, and I guess there was some kind of white supremist clan there. They kept saying "Mob black guy!", and then mentioning how there should be a Runescape KKK. It was wierd.

siggiebw2.png

Noted raw mackerel drop... Wtfh?

Always buying: Watermelon seeds, 2K each. Strawberry seeds, 800 each. Contact Via PM on forums.

Meh, I don't know. MAYBE, just MAYBE it was how you think it was in those two situations, but I'll admit that girls do get more favorable treatment (as well as worse treatment sometimes) because I experimented with making my character into a girl for a while :D.

Sure there are idiots and noobs and whatnot, but from all my observations, the good and ok people are just quieter <.<

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

Literally? I thought you meant as in verbal abuse. I never look to see what color skin tone someone is; they're usually covered up in armor or whatnot, and i'm too lazy to go move the camera in a bazillion different ways just to see their face. I doubt that happens a lot, but almost every type of prejudicism could happen in rs.

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

never saw racism but i did sexism.

some guy walked up to me

he: noob, ur a girl

me: so...gpt a problem with that?

he: ya girls are noobs

he: looser

*reports him for offensive language*

good thing is that there are not many of that kind of players

natasa777.jpegavatar175ed1.gif

refresh to see another sig

F2p forever

In my experience sexism is very rare in RS, racism is even rarer. I think what you were seeing is combat levelism.

I agree with Celt. I think this is exactly what happened in the situations you mentioned. In my experience (I've played since 2001, on and off) there is very little sexism and racism. Males treat females like other males (unless they are trying to flirt) and they realise that they can't judge people by the colour of their skin; even the stupid ones know it's a game.

So... If I don't accept the offer of ashes, random junk items, and a bronse axe from a dark skinned player who is lvl10 for a whip then im racist?! :evil: -.-

Edit: I have never seen "racism" or "sexism" but I have seen "idiotism" and "stupidism"

Stupidism means you avoid, hate, insult people who are stupid.

Idiotism means the same as stupidism.

I currently am a Stupist(racist against stupid people) against the creator of this thread. -.- <.<

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

If only RS had prenup, eh? :lol:

LMAO :lol: that would definetly solve alot of peoples problems.

I have never seen sexism in this game in 5 years of playing and only ever encountered 1 (re-occuring) acts of racism against myself (luckily i see the 2 people alot in CW and i'm more than able to forget about everything i was previously doing and own them :mrgreen: ) I would think if anything it's Levelism, only possible in RS aye? :mrgreen: :roll:

capesn.png

My capes in the order they were achieved

Anyway, I was at fight pits, and I guess there was some kind of white supremist clan there. They kept saying "Mob black guy!", and then mentioning how there should be a Runescape KKK. It was wierd.

Fourth reich in RS???

Next thing you know they gonna force us Jews players to wear yellow patches (there goes the gloves slot.... :wall: )

Yea, i know , not funny at all...