Save 3000 strangers OR 1 person you love?

Ichimaru

Alright, splinter cell reference, but let's say that you need to choose between saving your loved one (husband/wife/gf/bf) life's or saving 3000 people's lives. If you choose to save your loved one, 3000 people will die, or vice versa.

What would you do? Sacrife the person you love to save pain and sorrow to 3000 families, or save your loved one, and condemn 3000 people to death. Also take in count how you would feel afterwards, and how your loved one would feel afterwards(by her/his personality, how he/she would react). Let's say you save your beloved but she/he is guilty to have been chosen over 3000 people and quits you. Or you kill your beloved, and feel guilty all your life.

In the scenario, the victims' families don't know who you are, and you won't be put in jail for killing 3000 people. If you don't have any beloved, you can replace it by a parent, or a friend.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little confused on what is being asked...

I would choose my loved one to die, and save the 3000 people.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

This would be a good companion for this thread:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=675358

I love myself more than anyone else. I could allow myself to die, but I couldn't let someone

I loved die. Since I'm technically one of my own loved ones, I guess I'd allow myself to die.

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

The loved one. Without her, not only I will be heartbroken, but her friends and family. More people that I know than the 3000 families that I don't know.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'd save one person I love over 3000 strangers. The guilt from allowing someone I love to die, over 3000 people I will never ever know is not even comparable.

I agree. How I would feel afterwards is determined by the quality of my connection with that person rather than the number of people who would die. No matter the circumstances, I could never let my fiance die.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

All humans are fundamentally selfish. There is no question of doing the "right" thing. Human beings will just do whatever they think will benefit them the most. It really boils down to this question:

Would you rather live with the guilt of causing 3000 deaths, or live with the guilt and sadness/pain of causing your loved ones death?

For me, the guilt and pain of losing a loved one outweigh the guilt of condemning 3000 strangers to death. So I would definitely save my loved one.

However I'm sure my loved one would want me to sacrifice her to save the other people, as she would rather not live with the guilt. I can't honestly say that would change my decision though. I'd save her and hope that she came to terms with it later on.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

The 3000 people, one person no matter the attachment is not worth 3,000 people.

Think of it this way, would you rather saving your loved one or saving all the people that were killed in 9/11? :roll:

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

The 3000 people, one person no matter the attachment is not worth 3,000 people.

Think of it this way, would you rather saving your loved one or saving all the people that were killed in 9/11? :roll:

Loved one.

Nice eye roll.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

My loved one.

Putting it into a real life context does not change my views. Besides, the 9/11 comparison had already crossed my mind and I'm sure it occured to the posters here, since the figure is 3000.

The eye roll looks a bit misplaced considering almost all the posters here disagree with you.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Loved one.

Nice eye roll.

Thank you. :)

Well you guys should be given credit for at least being honest. :|

"]doughnutt.jpg

Well I personally believe both are acts of love.

The love for humanity (and also for people who are not so close to their families) saving the 3,000 people.

Or

The fact that you love your family or loved ones so much that it shows how much, in fact you really do love them.

Either way I don't think there should be any arguments here, they're both quite a noble thing to do, not that I would ever want to be put in that hypothetical situation.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

1 soul is not worth 3,000 souls, even if you don't know them intimately.

"]doughnutt.jpg

3000 because that's what my loved one would want.

I mean how would they feel to be responsible for 3000 deaths?

prove it?

A friend to all is a friend to none.

If the situation were merely a choice that I had to make, but was not the cause of any of the factors leading up to it, I would choose a loved one. Choosing the loved one wouldn't be condemning the 3000 to death, it wouldn't be your responsibility, it wouldn't be your fault they died. The only thing you would be responsible for is saving one persons life.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

prove it?

Are you an idiot? Both of you have the same argument.

As for myself, I would choose a loved one provided there'd be no implications to my choice other than said deaths of 3000 people.

I hate to say it, but I think the feeling of guilt would be worse if you choose the 3,000 people, so I'd go with the theoretical loved one.

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!