Britain Terror Suspect Dies From Burns

jokemaster

LONDON (AP) -- A suspect who was critically burned in a botched car bomb attempt at Glasgow Airport has died after more than a month in the hospital, ending police hopes he might be questioned or charged.

Kafeel Ahmed, 27, died Thursday at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, police said. He was in the Jeep Cherokee that plowed into the terminal at Scotland's busiest airport on June 30, a day after two Mercedes cars packed with gas canisters were discovered in central London.

Witnesses saw Ahmed, an Indian engineer, set himself ablaze and struggle with police and passers-by who tried to put out the flames. He reportedly suffered burns to 90 percent of his body.

Ahmed spent five weeks in a hospital, unconscious and under armed guard. Police believed he was at the center of the bomb plot, but he was never officially arrested or charged.

A member of Ahmed's medical team said last month there was little chance he would survive because his severe burns left him vulnerable to infection and organ failure.

"We can confirm that the man seriously injured during the course of the incident at Glasgow Airport on Saturday, June 30 has died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary," said a spokesman for Strathclyde Police, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with force policy.

The other man in the car, Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdullah, has been charged with conspiring to set off explosions "of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious injury."

Three other people have been charged over the attacks, which prompted the government to raise Britain's threat status from "severe" to "critical," the highest level. It was reduced to severe about a week later.

Jordanian doctor Mohammed Jamil Asha, arrested in his car on a highway in central England, is charged with conspiring to cause explosions. Kafeel Ahmed's brother, Sabeel Ahmed, 26, is charged with withholding information that could prevent an act of terrorism. He was arrested in Liverpool, England, on the day of the Glasgow attack.

Mohamed Haneef, a 27-year-old cousin of the Ahmed brothers, was arrested and charged in Australia over the attacks. He was released after police acknowledged they did not have enough evidence to hold him.

Four other people were detained after the attacks, but later released without charge. Apart from Kafeel Ahmed, all were doctors or had worked for Britain's National Health Service.

The health service was criticized by some Britons for giving intensive and expensive medical care to a suspected terrorist.

Scotland's government, the Scottish Executive, defended Ahmed's treatment.

"It was perfectly right that he should have received the appropriate treatment our health service could offer as this reflects the value our society places on human life," said a spokesman, who asked not to be named due to government policy.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâé 2007 The Associated Press

00000000000000000000000ub8.jpg

if we know he was an attacker then the police are probably secretly very happy about what happened
Not really. I'm sure they would have much preffered him alive for questioning.

And he would of looked like a bit of a laughing stock afterwards aswell :P

iteme3721.jpg

I hope Allah is very comforting - 6 feet under.

?? :? That wasn't a jab at Islam was it? There's no evidence that these guys were acting in the name of god. There are terrorists with purely political agendas, also...

In any case, not providing him treatment would be inhumane. If they want to play dirty, then we'll fight them, but we don't have to do it without honor - otherwise we're no better than they are.

Agreed - police don't run across a suspected terrorist every day. The more we can detain and interrogate, the merrier!

I was hoping he'd at least wake up to see his plan failed. I fear that now he will be labelled a martyr by the extremists in the muslim community.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

At least he won't be wasting tax payers money playing on the ps2 in prison for the rest of his life.

He got what he deserved,

I'm guessing his buddies think the man is in heaven playing poker with Allah , with the 7 virgins belly dancing around them.

Absolutely ridiculous how they come to our country, live here, have children here , have the right to practise their religion here and then commit/try to acts of terrorism attacking defenceless people, bloody cowards.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

I figure it would be the terrorist community, not so much the Muslim community that would consider him a martyr.
You'd hope so but where are the "moderate majority" denouncing these kinds of acts. Always silent.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Pity he didn't die earlier and save the NHS a lot of money.

Mercifull is right, the muslim community has not condemned this at all. Whenever the police raid a muslim's house though (trying to stop terrorists- how dare they!!) muslim organisations appear on every news channel complaining about "discrimination". :roll:

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Pity he didn't die earlier and save the NHS a lot of money.

Mercifull is right, the muslim community has not condemned this at all. Whenever the police raid a muslim's house though (trying to stop terrorists- how dare they!!) muslim organisations appear on every news channel complaining about "discrimination". :roll:

I'm actually really baffled how you can say that when an announcement was issued by the Muslim Council in complete deploration of the attacks, saying that anyone who did partake in this false 'Jihad' ceased to become a Muslim in doing so.

That kind of attitude really deserves in the BNP if I'm completely honest.

The fact is a doctor has an obligation to treat everyone, regardless of how they are or what they have done to get into that circumstance. How are any of you wishing he'd died any better than him in the first place?

It actually sickens me that some of you wanted another person to die. Death in tragic in all circumstances.

I'm 100% behind Smokie's attitude on this...

Terrorist dying = good thing surely?

his death, versus potentially thousands of deaths?

Ok, so maybe its debatable whether or not you should be glad, but feeling no pity for the scum can't be wrong?

Ok, so maybe its debatable whether or not you should be glad, but feeling no pity for the scum can't be wrong?

Terrorist dying = loss of critical information which could prevent thousands of deaths.

As it is, he was never in a position and likely would never be in a position to ever commit a terrorist attack again!

Terrorist dying = loss of critical information which could prevent thousands of deaths.

As it is, he was never in a position and likely would never be in a position to ever commit a terrorist attack again!

yeh right, a terrorist willing to set himself on fire and commit suicide for his cause if going to give information to the police.

And with this country's judicial and prison system I'd be surprised if his influence was stemmed, if limited at all.

The Muslim Council of Britain is a joke. What Britain needs is more clerics and elders standing up to the extremists.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Absolutely ridiculous how they come to our country, live here, have children here , have the right to practise their religion here and then commit/try to acts of terrorism attacking defenceless people, bloody cowards.

depends on who ur talkin about

The fact is a doctor has an obligation to treat everyone, regardless of how they are or what they have done to get into that circumstance. How are any of you wishing he'd died any better than him in the first place?

It actually sickens me that some of you wanted another person to die. Death in tragic in all circumstances.

Well the public have been led to believe he was kept alive artificially for the past few weeks, just to not upset anyone, at the large expense of the British tax-payer. But then again that is tabloid journalism for you.

sig2ho7.jpg

I hope Allah is very comforting - 6 feet under.

?? :? That wasn't a jab at Islam was it? There's no evidence that these guys were acting in the name of god. There are terrorists with purely political agendas, also...

In any case, not providing him treatment would be inhumane. If they want to play dirty, then we'll fight them, but we don't have to do it without honor - otherwise we're no better than they are.

Agreed - police don't run across a suspected terrorist every day. The more we can detain and interrogate, the merrier!

Yes, it was a jab at Islamic extremists. They're [developmentally delayed]ed. All of them, no exceptions.

And yes, I'd say there is good evidence religion played a part, considering the dude BURST INTO FLAMES AND RAN AROUND YELLING "ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAHU AKBAR!"....

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Yes, it was a jab at Islamic extremists. They're [developmentally delayed]. All of them, no exceptions.

And yes, I'd say there is good evidence religion played a part, considering the dude BURST INTO FLAMES AND RAN AROUND YELLING "ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAHU AKBAR!"....

Er, I'm having trouble discerning your condemnation of terrorists and the entire Islamic institution.

When you said, "I hope Allah is comforting", it's hard for me to tell whether you're mocking Islam's belief that "Allah is merciful" or extremists' misinterpretation of the religion (probably the latter, let's leave it at that).

As for him bursting into flames and chanting the name of Allah - it's a belief in religions like Islam and Hinduism (maybe Judaism and Christianity as well- I'm not familiar with those faiths) that you should focus your energies on God as you die in order to better prepare your soul for the afterlife. Elderly Hindus on their deathbeds often chant the name of Ram (a major Hindu deity). My knowledge of the Qu'ran is far from complete, but I believe there is a corresponding belief.

Maybe this is a cultural element that's lost in translation?

I dunno. There's a great danger in associating a single group with an entire people - after all, if I associated all Christians with the imperialist missionaries who single-handedly destroyed islands and islands of indigenous (well not exactly indigenous, but for all intents and purposes) American populations, I should be led to believe that Christianity is an abhorrent religion of ruthless, inhumane, profiteering monsters.

I find that it's easier to accuse others of being over-sensitive and obsessed with political correctness when it's not my demographic that's being insulted...

I can't say I'm sympathetic of such people.

I'm actually really baffled how you can say that when an announcement was issued by the Muslim Council in complete deploration of the attacks, saying that anyone who did partake in this false 'Jihad' ceased to become a Muslim in doing so.

I think some people would know Muslim extremists don't share the views of mainstream Islam yet many people still wrongly think or have misgivings about Islam and Muslim people in light of terrorism in the name of the religion. The idea that Muslim groups denounce such acts is great, but I haven't seen any such denouncements myself for any acts of terrorism (from my best memory at the moment). It's either the fault of those in high places in the Muslim community or the media.

The point I'm getting at here is that if I were the head of said religion or the proceedings of said religion in my country, I'd make every effort to make every noise I could to the media. Every incling of misrepresentation of the religion, I'd come down on those misrepresenting it like a ton of bricks.

Yes, it was a jab at Islamic extremists. They're [developmentally delayed]. All of them, no exceptions.

Er, I'm having trouble discerning your condemnation of terrorists and the entire Islamic institution.

Seriously, did you not get the implication that the jab at the islamic extremists means that he has no problem with moderate muslims? (Apologies if I putting the wrong words in your mouth btw Tigra). Also there is one hell of a difference between chanting your gods name on your deathbed and screaming it when you are burning from your own failed attack on other people's lives.

Also, don't play the genocide card against christianity, we learned and stopped, the minority of fundamentalist christians have nowhere near the impact islamic fundamentalists do so I really wouldn't pick that battle.

I can't say I'm sympathetic of such people.

I think some people would know Muslim extremists don't share the views of mainstream Islam yet many people still wrongly think or have misgivings about Islam and Muslim people in light of terrorism in the name of the religion. The idea that Muslim groups denounce such acts is great, but I haven't seen any such denouncements myself for any acts of terrorism (from my best memory at the moment). It's either the fault of those in high places in the Muslim community or the media.

The point I'm getting at here is that if I were the head of said religion or the proceedings of said religion in my country, I'd make every effort to make every noise I could to the media. Every incling of misrepresentation of the religion, I'd come down on those misrepresenting it like a ton of bricks.

That much, I'll agree with you. They're not doing nearly enough. Having said that, we don't actually know what's being taught in mosques to young Islamic children. For all we know, the Muslim Council has forced young Muslims to be told that taking any life is wrong, since only Allah has the right to do so, which is actually what is written in the Qu'ran. The newspapers have a funny way of missing out such details, in particular tabloids, in order to whip up a nice storm they can make millions out of.

More public denouncements are needed though. But to imply the Muslim Council is doing absolutely nothing to act against these attacks is an opinion that doesn't have much research behind it.

Also, don't play the genocide card against christianity, we learned and stopped, the minority of fundamentalist christians have nowhere near the impact islamic fundamentalists do so I really wouldn't pick that battle.

Can I remind you of the situation in N. Ireland that thankfully is coming to a reletively peaceful close after several centuries of political and religious tension? Slaughtering people from another religion is bad, but surely slaughtering people in your own is worse? What about all those devouts Christians in the BNP which stokepile explosives in their houses because they're scared of the "flood of immigrants"? The KKK in America? I could roll out a list of examples so don't play the "Christianity is compeltely innocent" card either.

Also there is one hell of a difference between chanting your gods name on your deathbed and screaming it when you are burning from your own failed attack on other people's lives.

Like what? Both are expressions of patronage to one entity. I really see no difference.

Surely the crime is that he tried to kill people, not that he happened to shout "Allah" whilst doing so?

Damn. I'd rather he healed up, the police got their information and he got locked up for the rest of his life, after all, that is what he deserves since he cant get the death sentance here.

sig5235ro7.jpg