Penpals - a lost hobby? :s

Futurama

Does anyone remember being young and having a penpal?

My girlfriend recently mentioned to me that she wants a penpal, so i'm joining her on it - a real penpal, the kind where you send each other letters and drawings - where you meet someone interesting from a country you've probably never heard of and laugh out loud at their strange and weird cultures.

Does anyone know where you can get a penpal these days? Seems like a fun thing to do (:

logo.jpg

My MSN list is full of people from different countries and continents. Are they considered penpals?

Ah, but this is my point mate. Cos of email/IM/forums etc, it seems impossible to get a "real" penpal cos we can all just chat online...

And I for one want to revive the art!

logo.jpg

I remember two years ago when my school encouraged us to get pen pals. To be honest I didn't like the idea then of people knowing my details but not actualy talking to them directly. It felt wierd. I even remember using some fake details. But now that I have been playing runescape and learing about others and making friends I like doing it and I would love to have a penpal. It would be nice to know how other people do things differently.

213360.png

Inter-school penpals are good. Anything outside is usually a bad thing. Regrettably, it's a dangerous world for lil' innocent kiddies.

Then again, if you're in your later teens and you know better, it can't be too much of a bad idea. Brings you in touch with other cultures, makes you a well-rounded person. Not that I'd do it myself... I'm just not the kind to initiate conversation with complete strangers. :P

I had a penpal named Katja from Ireland about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, she was killed in a car bombing. Never had one since. :(

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

when i was a teenager i had a really nice penpal called neil. he lived in hemel hempstead.

we wrote to each other for over 3-4 years, and met a few times.

we was both kylie fans and went to her concerts together (in the late 1980's)

sadly i lost touch with him when i moved in with my husband in 1991. i'd love to see how life was treating him now.

upto date my daughter's school have french penpals that they write too. but apart from that most of her friends are via msn. the art of penpalling will sadly be lost soon i believe

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

I had a penpal named Katja from Ireland about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, she was killed in a car bombing. Never had one since. :(

Howd you know she got killed?

Her parents called me. We had met when I lived in England so our parents had phone numbers. The whole family had penpals from that trip. My Grandmother had a penpal from India, and my father's was from Malaysia.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Sjees, sorry to hear your penpal died, Bari. Although it was kind of humorous to read "Never had one since. :( " after you said she died during a car bombing. :oops: Like, losing a pen pal was so traumatic to you that you never wanted a new one. I never had any pen pals, it never really interested me. Besides, we never went on vacation till I was fourteen (we had a great city which was a vacation spot on itself, and we were five minutes from the beach), and at that time I couldn't be bothered with a pen pal, had better things to do. I don't know what happened to all these pen pals. Most of them are most likely still alive and writing. Ever tried http://www.penpal.com ?

This topic is actually kind of funny. Every body talking about pen pals af if they were pets. :D How much is it for that whtie pen pal, out there in the back. The one with blonde hair? $25? pff. I can get one cheaper on e-bay. haha. :lol:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Well, growing up with the interwebs kind of killed it for me. It started off as a pen-pal, which then became an email-pal, which in turn turned into an MSN-pal, who then, of course, turned out to be the stalker-in-the-park-pal.

Technology, these days.

I'm sending a card to some of my MSN-pals (who are also TIF people). I think sending a card to show appreciation is much nicer. However, if you need to say something quite urgent I guess it's best to leave it to the computer and type it up :D

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

• 10 years later...

Aren't forums basically just modern pen pal exchanges?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn